PDA

View Full Version : Ride on for slopes?

General_mower
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I am just a home owner who has an acre. I have been using an MTD tractor style mower but its due fir replacement. I bought a Hustler Fastrack 42 today, it looses grip on the slopes & gets outta control fast.

I am wondering of there is a mower that can handle my needs?

tree beard
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
yes the beasty on this link would probably keep you happy, if you have a lot of slopes you need the tractor style.

http://climber.rideonmowers.net.au/au/climberaus.htm?gclid=CKijzdKq1pUCFSJIagodM29RWg

haireyscarie
12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I am just a home owner who has an acre. I have been using an MTD tractor style mower but its due fir replacement. I bought a Hustler Fastrack 42 today, it looses grip on the slopes & gets outta control fast.

you should have tryed 1 of the from hustler
http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/ATZ/ATZPage/ATZPage.html

simo
13-09-2008, 05:24 PM
This should do it

Hustler
13-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Iwant a grillo the sound great im going to test ride one :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :) :) :) :)

mowjoman
15-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Zero turns are dangerous on slopes. I've had a few close calls on mine.
I agree with tree beard, if you have lots of slopes at too large an incline then the tractor style is the only way to go.
If the slopes arent too steep and you want to stick to the speed the ZTR's offer then it could be a technique thing.
When I approach one on my ztr (N.B. I wont even aproach anything more then say...30 degrees) I travel forwards across the slope, when at the end slowly reverse back to where you started, its hard to explain, but in reversing dont reverse directly straight back put a SLIGHT downward angle on it so when your back at the start you'll be cutting new grass on a SLIGHT upward angle.
I hope that makes sense...This will stop the front end of the mower swinging downwards as it does when it loses grip. It took me a little practice but works for me...but I should reiterate that if the inclines are too steep DONT GO THERE or we'll be reading you obituary.
Hope this helps :wave-hi:

haireyscarie
15-09-2008, 08:50 AM
when i use it on slopes i have the bottom handle on full and the top on bit over half way ..
then it seems to work and you keep control of it heaps better

happy's
18-09-2008, 05:22 PM
you should give the husqvarna rider range a go thay have awd models thay work well on slopes

grasshopper
18-09-2008, 08:58 PM
what :i dunno: they have special ride on's for now :russ:

administrator
28-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Check this out you may want to buy one .

Courtesy of EVATECH http://www.evatech.net/

http://evatech.net/moviefiles/TallGrass.html

http://evatech.net/moviefiles/Snowplow.html

Great for slopes and long grass check out the Radio controlled lawnmowers

administrator
28-10-2008, 04:49 PM

This may sound silly but would the snow chain system work to keep grip

Has anybody tried this idea your thoughts and expertise gents .

Seems their must be a simple way around this problem rather than buying a special ride on

administrator
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Moved post cheers

geejay

Location: Out of Africa and Proud of it,"Viva Africa"carpe de heim.RSA,SWA,NR,SR,NZ,AU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have a 35 degree bank to mow,that is 40 m by 8m,

thought of a rig and harness attached to a fly mow,let it down above bank and pull it up and down,move along bank.

any other suggestions

edbeek
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi all
I too am having issues with my Gravely ZT with regards to traction on slopes.
This pic shows it's limits before the rear end starts to skid downhill.

http://www.webzoom.freewebs.com/edbeek/020rs.jpg

and this pic shows it's limit of up & down mowing(actually it goes up no worries, but downhill the rear tends to want to overtake you.)

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/edbeek/023rs.jpg

Even on very mild slopes(5-10 deg), fast turning at the end of a run is slowed due to wheel spin on the uphill wheel.
I've thought of putting some weight on the rear end for more traction, but that would affect front end stability going up the slopes.
Also inquired about 4wheeler ATV type tread tyres, but it seems they don't make in my size.
The chains idea above has also entered my head.

My situation at present is I'm looking good for 2 biggish contracts that involve quite a lot of slope mowing, with steep drop-offs onto roadways where I can't afford to be skidding around.

Ideally, I should purchase a bigger mower for these contracts anyway, but from a financial view, I'd like to persevere with my little Gravely until I get more established.

Have looked at a 72" Gravely ZT but worried that it might have the same issues. Also looked at 72" Kubota out front 4wd which the salesman said would probably be the better option. But at almost $27k it will be stretching the budget.

You could say I'm better forgetting about these contracts, but they are a big opening for a LOT of other work in the same area.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the long post.

edbeek
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Try again , 1st pic

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/edbeek/020rs.jpg

Mick
10-11-2010, 10:09 AM
If you get the job go out and buy a Scag Turf Tiger. Arguably the best slope mowing zero turn out there.
Hustler are coming out with a new Super Z with industrial pumps and a 37dfi Kawi. Will be the most "industrial" ztr out there and arguably (again) one of the top 3 slope ztrs.

You need something with a low centre of gravity, wide wheel base and I personally believe the seat very close to right above the drive wheels. The machine pivots on the drive wheels so if sitting in front of them puts more weight on the castors.
Im surprised you cant find a tire to fit. Have a look at the Carslile AT101 tires. http://www.carlisletire.com/ Look at the Big Biters... AT101. Also look at ATV tires.
Call Power Tire Co' 1800999389 They are hopeless at getting back to you so stay on them! Im still waiting for a return call after 8 weeks! Think they've forgotten about me! haa

tree beard
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
yes when it comes to slopes, zeros are not really the tool for the job!

Can be exciting and fun tho :)

Probably don't want any work cover types around tho :(

I have seen on the web chains for your tyres and also mini tractor type tyres which improve your traction. however they will trash any half decent type of lawn. may be a cheap way to get you through till you buy another mower or possibly pick up a cheap tractor type mower to see how you go with the contracts before you morgage the farm :)

SouthCoast Walker
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi all

Also looked at 72" Kubota out front 4wd which the salesman said would probably be the better option. But at almost $27k it will be stretching the budget.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the long post.

Definitely don't go and buy one of these without testing first. While they have good traction, the centre of gravity is so high that they tip over very easy. Ok for mowing up and down hill in a straight line but cant mow across hills or turn around on them.

Neil&family
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Found this on Ebay last night..
Its got a Diff lock which would be handy on any ride on.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OREC-RABBIT-RM98-PROFESSIONAL-HILL-CLIMBER-21hp-B-S_W0QQitemZ140476091276QQcategoryZ50377QQcmdZViewI temQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu% 3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D484 9021061744318642

Mick
10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
John Deere X478 ??? (X595) is an awesome mower on hills. 4wd, 24hp diesel and a commercial 7iron deck. Can get 1000's of hours out of them. Great machine but your up around the $20k with the 7iron deck, around $18k with the normal deck.

Id be worried about parts and repair with those machines on ebay. They import but have no service centres as far as I can tell.
If you like that little OREC, check out the Grillo mowers, at least there are dealers around the place.

How much of this job is going to be actual slope mowing? I mean, if you got a Grillo type machine, its going to be very slow in comparison to a ztr on the flats.
This seem like one of those areas where we are far behind the USA. Those walk behind mowers they use would be great, and safe on very steep slopes.

How about a few pics of the slopes/job?

edbeek
10-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't have any pics of the job at present. Will take some next week when I'm up there.

The slopes are not super steep. I know that it one of the previous contractors used a Ferris ZT and I see similar country being mowed with ZTs and out-front mowers. I would have had no qualms mowing it with my old Murray with baldy tyres. It's just my Gravely can't handle it too well as it is ATM.

The contracts are about 25 acres in total with about 50% similar to the slope in my pics above. Not much would be steeper. There's virtually no trees to dodge either.

If it was just slopes down to a flat it would be no worries to just mow up and down and turn on the flat, but most places the 'bottom' is a road below a 2:1 batter cutting of 1-2 metres, and I don't want to be skidding down into that.

I think a tyre change on the Gravely would be enough to do the job. I looked through the Carlisle site and there was only 1 type that looked ok in my size, but some of the ATV tyres use slightly different terminology, so I'll look into them further. The tyres are 20x10.00x10.
A friend has one of those FWA mini tractor machines with turf tyres and FEL & 3pl, that you can fit a mid-mount mower to. I could probably hire that and try it out.

edbeek
10-11-2010, 07:56 PM
If you get the job go out and buy a Scag Turf Tiger.

I see there is one of these on ebay now. Close handy at Noosa too.

Will keep an eye on it over the weekend.

Mick
10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Just had another thought! These Stander mowers are available in Australia now. If nothing else, they are easy to bale from if it all goes wrong!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72a_jqwZkA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow_AmczXI4Q
Or the sit/stand version... http://www.simplicityimports.com.au/wright/sentar.asp

That JD I mentioned was the X748, not 478.

Mick
10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I see there is one of these on ebay now. Close handy at Noosa too.

Will keep an eye on it over the weekend.

That isnt a Turf Tiger! Its a Tiger Cub. Still be worth watching though.
The description is pretty vague (and incorrect) so that rings alarm bells for me!

25 acres is a lot of grass for anything less than a 60" deck machine.
If its only as steep as whats in your pics I wouldnt worry to much. You should be able to just run across that (approx 13deg) slope with out any problem. Im surprised your having issues. How many psi have you got in your tires?

Personally, I would sell the Gravely and get a full framed 60" deck, min 28hp machine with 24x12x12 tires. Then that 25 acres would be done in well under 2 days (im guessing pretty rough, fortnightly cuts etc.)

gcsmow
10-11-2010, 09:56 PM
That is where one of those "Big Ass" Walk behinds would be good, say 48 or 52 inch cut. Or maybe a Stand on Zero Turn mower. I agree that a tractor type ride on is best in hilly conditions or a 4WD front deck mower as used by councils. There is the Cub Cadet Tank "S" which is a mid-mount zero turn but with a steering wheel instead of levers. It doesn't have front casters but instead the front wheels turn like a tractor type mower with tie rods etc so it will track straight on banks. Also search on You tube for "Ted's brakes" ...great idea and makes ZTR s a lot safer on hills.

edbeek
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd keep the Gravely because the smaller deck suits the smaller house blocks that I do. On the acreages, I generally average an acre/hr so it's not too bad.
I agree these bigger contracts are going to be a slog with my little machine but if it will handle it, I'll give it a go until I feel comfortable about buying a bigger mower. It's not as though I have to hurry to fit all of my jobs in at present ;)

I think the tyre pressure recommendation is 15-22psi. I have been gradually letting them down, and they are at 11psi at the moment. Was talking to someone this arvo, and he thought maybe harder would be better.

Im surprised your having issues.
Me too. In every other regard it is a great mower.

Thanks for your advice & ideas Mick

edbeek
10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for that info gcsmow. Ted's brakes look like a great idea.

SouthCoast Walker
10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for that info gcsmow. Ted's brakes look like a great idea.

Should be compulsory in my opinion.

gcsmow
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah I think more ZTRs will be fitted with front brakes in the near future. One thing that I haven't seen yet is a ZTR with an air conditioned cab, Front deck 4WDs don't count because technically they aren't a zero turn.

ian
10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah I think more ZTRs will be fitted with front brakes in the near future. One thing that I haven't seen yet is a ZTR with an air conditioned cab, Front deck 4WDs don't count because technically they aren't a zero turn.

mate i thought you would be moving so fast the air cools you down

gcsmow
10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah well I haven't got my New Holland 60 inch ZTR yet.

Mick
11-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Those Teds Brakes are great for stopping going down hill, but do nothing to help turning. That said, if it stops you going over a drop off then they are worth it.
Ted was also talking about designing his own ztr at one stage. I dont know what became of that.

You should be able to run 9-10psi in your tires. That is where most recommend but your already pretty close at 11. 15-22 was way to much!

I remember a few years ago I saw a pic of a large Toro ztr with air con. Story was the father of a disabled guy built the thing to work on the farm/large property. It had power everything. It looked big, tall and totally unmanageable for everyday use like we do. Would of been awesome for the guy to cruise around his own property though!

gcsmow
11-11-2010, 09:49 PM
The guys at the tyre shop say I should be running at least 20 psi to avoid punctures but at that pressure it will bounce you out of the seat. I run about 16 psi as per the owners manual. Hey Mick have you ever seen a Cub Cadet Tank S ?

Mick
11-11-2010, 10:55 PM
How will it help avoiding punctures? Put some Slime or other type and your good to go!
Lower pressure gives better ride and more float to help reduce ruts. Same as driving a 4wd on sand. My manual says 10 or 11psi in the SZ. I run about 9 or 10psi.

Is that Cub S the one with the steering wheel? Ive seen video of it and I think it looks pretty good. Not a fan of Cub stuff though.

Have a look at the Gizmo. (have a look at the vids)... http://www.gizmow.com/home.htm

gcsmow
12-11-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't know how it will avoid punctures either, but that's what they said and they should know about tyres, one would think. Slime is good stuff.

gcsmow
12-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow I like the Gizmow and the lime green too. Don't know if we can get it in Oz yet.

Mick
12-11-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't know how it will avoid punctures either, but that's what they said and they should know about tyres, one would think. Slime is good stuff.

Thing is, in most case's, they dont operate the machines. They generally have no idea what its like in the real world. Im telling you straight up, lower psi tires are much better than high psi. There really is no debating it! Why they would say something like that is just BS!

High psi tires Pros... Um, cant think of anything!

Low psi...
Better ride
Better traction
More float
Less rutting

Punctures is just a load of BS! You'll get punctures no matter what psi you have. Its just a part of life. Get some Slime and plugs!

Dealers (ok, not all but I would say most) sell and recommend machines they have in stock and have little regard for what the customer really requires.
Example...
I just had a look at an 11acre driving range. They bought a 48" deck Husky ztr on the dealers recommendation. Now to me, that is just plain wrong! The owners are having no end of trouble with the machine as its working to hard for to long on the property.
Now a true, honest dealer would of recommended and or sold them at least a 60" deck machine but he didnt have any in stock. Told them rubbish to make a sale.

Point is, dont believe everything a dealer tells you. Do research, listen to others opinions who have nothing to gain. I for one will always be honest to the best of my ability when it comes to this sort of thing because I have nothing to loose or gain from it.

That little example above is sort of whats going to happen with the Gravely. 25 acres is heaps for a small deck machine. Nothing against the Gravely, but I reckon its just too small for it! Thats why I said sell it and get a bigger machine. How many jobs does the Gravely only just fit? Im my experience if a property requires a ride on, access with a large machine is usually a non issue. I have only had to pass up on a couple of jobs over the yrs because of access. Ive mowed small 1/4 acres house to parks for the city, 1/2 acres to school ovals to full new developments including the slashing. 60", high HP machine truly is the best all round set up!

Anyway, Im stuck at home again due to showers, Im bored, going broke and need to get drunk and laid in that order! Please dont take offence to the above, Im not trying to offend, just chat!

Gizmo isnt in Australia. Check out the European versions, they have a few extra features.

edbeek
16-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Mick,
I agree with what you are saying, it's just that I have only just started and don't have enough work just yet, so I am a bit hesitant to buy another mower. But it looks inevitable if I get these contracts.
The committees still haven't awarded the tenders, but as the grounds need mowing now, they have asked me to give the area a mow as a one-off .
I put in a day today and got over some of the worst of it without too many dramas. Only skidded into a drain once and into a fence once.
Once the grass dried out properly(after midday) it was ok. Found that if I tried to keep on the contour or slightly uphill it tracked pretty good. Downhill(across the slope) was pretty hairy.
I've got the tyres down to 8 psi.

Been looking into the JD x748 with 60" 7 iron deck. 2 dealers so far are around $17,600-$17,800 inc GST,without any haggling yet. I'm wondering if the 24hp is enough for the 60" in heavy grass.
Was talking to the bloke that operates the Ferris ztr on another area, and he also has issues with it skidding. So I'm still undecided on a 72" ztr or the 60" JD tractor for about $4-8k less. I'm leaning towards the JD.

Anyway here are a couple of pics I took today. I'm sorry I didn't get a few before I started because the last contractor did it with a tractor/slasher and left a mess.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/edbeek/004croprs.jpg

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/edbeek/003rs.jpg

The second one is just a close-up of the left side of the first one.

big_ed92
16-11-2010, 09:49 PM
best ride on for steep slopes Kingcat Cheetah has earnt me a small fortune built tough tackle anything basicly a brush cutter on wheels

Mick
16-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Well thats steeper than what I was imagining! Maybe a ZTR isnt the go after all but, I reckon I could do that ok with the Super Z. I have AT101 tires on it though and photos are difficult to go off sometimes.
Im finishing up some trimming on a job tomorrow. It has a very steep slope on it that I mostly mow but still use the trimmer in a couple of spots. Scares the cr@p out of me mowing it! If I remember I'll take some pics.
I drive up steepest spots then come down safe spots. If going across, I try to keep front end up a little, almost like crabbing. Its often trial and error hoping the errors aren't to bad.

I had a 54" deck X595 (748) and it really was a great machine. I cut some horrible stuff with it and some very big and steep slopes. They actually cut pretty quickly too. IMO, its the only tractor type mower that can compete with a ztr.
As far as power, I reckon the 54" deck was pretty good match, the 60" 7iron deck is pretty efficient so Id say it would be ok. I know a mower guy here that has a normal 60" 748, here says its fine. I knew another guy who had something like 3000 hrs on a X595. On another note, I have a Kubota B1700 with a 15hp motor. It runs a 60" deck ok but really is under powered. But thats basically 10hp less than the X748. Its cut some very long rough stuff, in low range!
These tractors get max power to the deck, very efficient in torque to deck. I would definitely give one a demo. They are unbeatable on slopes up and down. COG is higher than large ztr so not as stable across slopes. You can get a FEL for the JD as well. Only down side is you cant run a little slasher on the back. If it could, I would probably consider another one!

$17500 with a 7iron deck seems pretty good to me. I asked a dealer a few mths ago and it was $20k without any haggle!

The new Super Z that'll be coming out early next year will be interesting. It'll have the heaviest duty pumps and wheel motors out there. That should make it very good on slopes and will have a great warranty. Its going to replace the ATZ Hustler have. Thats how confident that are in it!
Im hangin to give one a go! 37dfi Kawi! Power!
Hustler will have several new machines actually. May be worth your while to look into them!

Man, I can rant! Bla bla bla!

gcsmow
16-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes I think a 60 inch ZTR is about the best machine you can get. I used to have an Iseki front deck 72 inch and it just wasn't worth the hassle. I found my 48 inch Toro ZTR would keep up to it if there were lots of obstacles and most of the the time there was. You can mow quite a lot of house yards with a 60 ZTR but you really would be struggling to get a 72 front mount in to most yards. Plus I had to take the truck to transport it and then I would have to make sure I had everything else loaded in the truck that I might need: tools, w-snip, fuel, funnel, string, etc. Then put everything back in to the ute when I had finished. I sold the Iseki to a bloke on an Avocado orchard and he loves it, so good luck to him.

I reckon a 60 inch ZTR would out-mow a 72 inch front deck hands down especially if there are obstacles, however I will concede that a 4WD front mount is better on slopes.

Does anyone out there have a 72 inch mid-mount ZTR?

Thing is, in most case's, they dont operate the machines. They generally have no idea what its like in the real world. Im telling you straight up, lower psi tires are much better than high psi. There really is no debating it! Why they would say something like that is just BS!

High psi tires Pros... Um, cant think of anything!

Low psi...
Better ride
Better traction
More float
Less rutting

Punctures is just a load of BS! You'll get punctures no matter what psi you have. Its just a part of life. Get some Slime and plugs!

Dealers (ok, not all but I would say most) sell and recommend machines they have in stock and have little regard for what the customer really requires.
Example...
I just had a look at an 11acre driving range. They bought a 48" deck Husky ztr on the dealers recommendation. Now to me, that is just plain wrong! The owners are having no end of trouble with the machine as its working to hard for to long on the property.
Now a true, honest dealer would of recommended and or sold them at least a 60" deck machine but he didnt have any in stock. Told them rubbish to make a sale.

Point is, dont believe everything a dealer tells you. Do research, listen to others opinions who have nothing to gain. I for one will always be honest to the best of my ability when it comes to this sort of thing because I have nothing to loose or gain from it.

That little example above is sort of whats going to happen with the Gravely. 25 acres is heaps for a small deck machine. Nothing against the Gravely, but I reckon its just too small for it! Thats why I said sell it and get a bigger machine. How many jobs does the Gravely only just fit? Im my experience if a property requires a ride on, access with a large machine is usually a non issue. I have only had to pass up on a couple of jobs over the yrs because of access. Ive mowed small 1/4 acres house to parks for the city, 1/2 acres to school ovals to full new developments including the slashing. 60", high HP machine truly is the best all round set up!

Anyway, Im stuck at home again due to showers, Im bored, going broke and need to get drunk and laid in that order! Please dont take offence to the above, Im not trying to offend, just chat!

Gizmo isnt in Australia. Check out the European versions, they have a few extra features.

edbeek
16-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Keep ranting Mick. All good info. Thanks.

gcsmow, yes transport is an issue. At present I can load all my gear into the back of my ute. Bigger mower means I'd eventually have to get a wide trailer and heavier towbar. All extra $$
There's a 72" Gravely ZTR in town that I'd love to take for a day. It would fit on the ute without the sideboards, but any gear that would have to travel in the trailer would get covered in the soot pouring out of the old Triton. :)

Mick
17-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I remembered to take those pics. No way the photo does justice to this. Can barely stand on the steepest bit. Anyway, you should be able to see where I ride, that most of it really with only a small patch done with trimmer.
http://i51.tinypic.com/30dfqrb.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/1556mjd.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/90vpqc.jpg

edbeek
17-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Good one Mick. That looks more extreme than anything I've come across.
How do you get around the trees. If I turn downhill just a little on a good slope, I'm gone.

Did a couple of good roadside banks today with a friggen audience! I didn't let them down. Provided a bit of entertainment for them... and a heap of grey hairs for me. I think my mower has fallen in love with the fence at the bottom. It wants to grope it at any opportunity.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry Edbeek I couldn't resist. Is that your sidekick in the first photo? Most people have a dog.:laughing::wave-hi:

Bye the way are these areas where your sliding into fences and the like wet or is that just the slope?

Mick
17-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I go across the slope, kind of back down the hill a little bit keeping the nose up and just sort of go around them. Dont get the front end down hill.
The slope actually scares the crap out of me sometimes. Ive used the trimmer on the whole thing a couple of times because a had a bad feeling about doing that day. I hate doing the top along the fence cos theres only one way from there, and thats down!

edbeek
17-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Yep Cranbourne. I employ them to look after the grass between mowings.
And young Joe in the pouch is the apprentice :)

edbeek
17-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Bye the way are these areas where your sliding into fences and the like wet or is that just the slope?

A bit of both Cranbourne. On mine, once you are nose down on the slope, you can hardly steer the thing. Then when I've stopped, I can't get the traction to back up the slope, and you gradually end up getting intimate with the fence. I haven't had to get towed out yet.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Just read the post with the first photo properly edbeek. Wet.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-11-2010, 11:07 PM
This might sound like a stupid question,but has anyone thought about putting the same sort of tyres as the sprint bikes that race in the snow on rideons. you know the ones with the 2 or 3 inch spikes. Would give great traction and aerate at the same time.

edbeek
17-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I've thought about tyre chains CL, but I think there might be occasions where skidding might be safer than gripping and then maybe rolling over. I dunno, I'm only new at this so I probably get into more strife than most.
Most times I only skid down less than 2 metres before I can get the rear end around and head up to where I'm supposed to be. It's just when there is an obstacle closer than that 2 metres where I run into trouble

Mick
17-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Spikes would tear the turf and put a lot more strain on the wheel motors/pumps etc. What happens when you go over a driveway or paths?
There are usually quad bike tires to fit more rims, not all but most I would say.

I use the AT101 as they are aggressive but also allow a bit of slide. I still have to be careful though but its a trade off.

The trouble with all these mowers is that there isnt a perfect mower. They all have there pros and cons. One might be good on slopes but be very slow on level ground. One might be great on level ground but suck on slopes.
My favourite (never owned) ztr would be the Scag TT. Shaft driven deck, excellent pump and wheel motor match etc but it weights 200kg more than my SZ not to mention it costs a few grand more. My SZ cuts dry grass very well but sucks when its damp or wet. It can cut at about 24km/hr but those pumps etc suck a lot of power when going up hill.
Every things a trade off and if you've ever built a house, the worst word to hear is... "Compromise!" And mowers are full of them!

Thats why I keep saying demo all the machines your interested in in the same conditions etc. Go to lawnsite.com and ask a few questions over there (but ignore the brand loyal dycks.)

luey
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
i've got atv tyres on my 72 inch kubota the tread is called bearclaw i have grass tyres but i never put them on i couldn't do half my jobs without the nobbly tyres

gcsmow
22-01-2011, 10:44 AM
If you've got quite a few areas with banks and slopes then I reckon a "Convertible mower" is the answer. Don't know if you can get them in Australia yet.
http://www.landscaperpro.com/52deck25hpkawasakiconvertiblelawnmowerlp5225kaw-1.aspx
You have the speed and productivity of a ZTR but when things get a bit scary, flip the handles over, fold down the seat then walk behind it until you have done the dangerous part. Would be great if you had the contract for doing the sides of the road. Another thing is if you drive your mower on the road you can get booked by the boys in blue but walking behind a mower is different. You're safe and can go where ever a lawn tractor can go. Also saves you having to buy another machine.

Versatility is the key!!