PDA

View Full Version : trailers

Pain in the Grass
13-07-2004, 07:59 PM
OK guys...

Here's a challenge......How would you describe your ideal trailer...

I'm looking to have a custom made trailer, made...(hang on .,, that's not good grammer) Anyway.....seeing I might be buying a little ZTR...( not one of 'em big red ones Tony) well not yet anyway..ha ha my idea was to build an 8 x 6 tandem axle trailer with a 7 leaf suspension....Caged sides with a covered in mower box at the front capable to stowing two mowers (handles folded of course.) The box would have a spring loaded pull down ramp at the side and another at the rear for the ride on....The ride on compartment would also double as an area for grass bags, pruned trees and shrubs etc.

I would have a longer draw bar that I could mount a tool box on plus jerry can holders built on the sides.

All this and I dont want to pay more than $3000gs.....Wishful thinking?

What's your ideas or can someone post a diagram of their ideal trailer so that I can steal there ideas... :laughing: :laughing:

pbm
13-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Sounds like you have described your ideal trailer. I have a Jims mowing type which isn't ideal since I got the Walker so sometime in the future I'll have to design the ideal trailer for me. I always look at other guys set ups but I have yet to see on that I feel would suit my needs perfectly.

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Here is a very simple, very effective set up by a Walker owner.

Pain in the Grass
14-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Now there's an idea a little out of the ordinary which is space saving and would work a treat!!!Shame I cant afford the Walker.

Hey Tony, when are you gonna bring the price down on the one your selling....he he....Any chance of picking it up for under 10 grand..??? :cool: No..didnt think so lol...I can only dream,,,back to the pushie for me!!!! :sad:

Tonyr
14-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Hey Dr Pain,

mate...my father is selling the Walker for me, his number on the ad, he is in Gympie.

I believe he is open to some negotiation, not under 10k though, with all of the extras it is a great buy, you could call him.

remember this has the high lift catcher, worth around 7000 alone, new tyres, extra rims and new tyres etc, chute...when it was new it was a 32000 dollar mower. in good nic, low hours...

Pain in the Grass
14-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Hmmmm,,,serious food for thought. :cool:

Better start doin a few rain dances to get the grass growing again down here so I can afford to buy that unit......I was amd probsbly still am considering Alex's Mighty compak but it doesnt catch which may be a wee problem for some of the lawns I'm doing....Most I can get away with mulching only but then there are th odd ones where i need to catch....I guess it all boils down to dollars....Gonna be several weeks off in any case before I can really get serious about something....Also thanks for the advice on another thread about the Toro timecutter....Sounds like it wouldnt be really suitable for commercial work

Thanks my man

Tonyr
14-07-2004, 10:11 PM
I haven't bothered to go see if you said exactly what kind of work the ride on will be doing, knowing this I could help more maybe...

e.g the time cutter and walker are not the ideal machines for paddocks, vacant blocks etc, good for very well maintained lawns.

these are ride on 'lawn' mowers...

I don't know how good the cut is on a timecutter, pretty shocking here but I expect that is opperator fault mainly.

timecutter is cheap...side discharge, catch and mulch (I think), good entry level Z.

Walker is more for dedicated work where high quality cut is required and catch grass, decks are 1 mode...but you can open the back door as I did in the pic with the chute deflector thing.

Walker is a proven performer, very maneuverable.

time cutter has the catcher hanging off the back.

if 10k isyour budget the timecutter might be the pick, did you say hustler had something?

Hustler makes good machines, but non commercial is rated so for a reason...

Good luck mate!

matthew pitman
15-07-2004, 04:11 PM
on the topic of ride on mowers, when my walker packed it up and spent a week in the shop getting repaired( as they do )
i brough a murry 42" side discharge for 3k got me out of trouble and cuts great you can get a catcher fitted to for it,
might get you out of trouble and get you some big jobs to save the pennys for a bigger unit.
i keep the murry on the truck when i do my big days incase the walker dies , or i get the offsider to run that and i use the walker to save time.

GregG
31-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Don't forget that you might want to fit the traileer in the shed.
Standard roller door 2430mm wide opening allow for mugards of total 500 to 600mm and then room either side of trailer to fit through door means that a 60inch deck Z turn will just fit but a 52 or 54 inch is better.
So check your openings before buying that trailer.!!!
Also the idea of the Walker on the drawbar has merit, but would it not dramatically increase or overload the towball weight.

mick
31-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum Greg!

GregG
31-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks Mick I hope I can learn some new and interesting things as you are never too old or experienced.
You can teach an old dog new tricks !!!

mick
31-08-2004, 12:21 PM
No worries mate! There are a couple of smart people here, I'm not one of them but I'm sure there out there! :laughing:

GregG
31-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Here is a very simple, very effective set up by a Walker owner.

Tony on 14/7/2004 ?? you posted a picture of a Walker mower on the drawbar of a tandem box trailer.
Did the bloke mention how it towed or whether the drawbar weight was very very very heavy ie. illegal most have alimit of 250 kg I think and some lower. It looks good but in my case all the weight will be on the front and nothing on the back.
Clarkes trailers here have done a similiar one I may have to ask if I can speak to the guy who bought it about it. It would then leave the back for if you do a clean up but still want the ZTR. Then if you do a huge clean up leave the ZTR at home and fill the 2 compartments up thats if the front one has side like the photo I saw at Clarkes

Tonyr
01-09-2004, 12:01 AM
He had a cruiser ute, trailer had a very long drawbar, he said it was light and towed well. was professionally built by Westbrook Trailers, Toowoomba. Good looking set up. Very practical.