PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Service

Countrymile
16-09-2008, 06:48 PM
We put the Stihl fs44 whippy in for a service with the local mower shop as Darren is about to start the business. It's an older one and it had a "different" air filter in it, which Darren had cleaned.

When Darren picked it up, the air filter had not been changed, and looked to same. In fact it looked like they had not even looked at the whole machine.

They then offered to put a new air filter in and charged another $10 on the bill. So the total bill with a spare air cleaner was $58 and it looks like they didn't even look at it, but how would you know. And now a day later, it won't start, so seems like a big waste of money.

What should you expect when you get a piece of equipment serviced? Cheers Shannon

lifestyle
16-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Shannon,

I usually suggest marking the parts needing repair (filter) in some way that only you know. Same with other parts of the machine. If you've been charged for a replacement and its not replaced. Question them, if they challenge it go to consumer affairs.

If possible, take a photo of the filter / unit with a date stamp on it BEFORE getting it serviced next. If you need proof - you'll have it.

Might seem like going to the extreme but if you pay for something, you should get it.

lifestyle
16-09-2008, 08:01 PM
... hope that helps.

Bluey
16-09-2008, 08:11 PM
or find a reputable service agent

tree beard
16-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Learn to service your own gear.

Its not hard, it improves your understanding of your gear.

Helps you deal with issues on site and keep your gear running, you also know what is done to your gear.

IF you are using a service agent and you need to play games to know what is done or your gear doesnt run, take it back and get them to fix it while you wait...your a professional and it is crucial to your business. If your still not happy vote with your feet, go elsewhere

Bluey
16-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Learn to service your own gear.

Its not hard, it improves your understanding of your gear.

Helps you deal with issues on site and keep your gear running, you also know what is done to your gear.

IF you are using a service agent and you need to play games to know what is done or your gear doesnt run, take it back and get them to fix it while you wait...your a professional and it is crucial to your business. If your still not happy vote with your feet, go elsewhere

Well said Tree Beard ;)

lifestyle
16-09-2008, 08:30 PM
... Shannon, my point was, if they are doing it to you, they are probably doing it to others as well. There's nothing worse than dodgy mechanics.

NWGL
16-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Shannon.

If it started okay before the service, take it back.

If you don't think they've done something, ask. You weren't there watching, so you have every right to question what was done (nicely of course)

My mower shop attaches a small plastic bag with all the bits & pieces that they've changed, so there's no confusion.

In future, be specific in what you want done, and get full details of what they're service covers beforehand. That way you know what to expect.

If they don't like you asking questions, then it's time to find a new shop.

Countrymile
16-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. We have only 2 mower shops in town and the other guys are complete tools (pardon the pun), so we hoped these guys would be alright. We might have to go further afield. I love the idea about the old parts in a bag, no confusion there. Darren does normally look after his own equipment, but he thought he would do the right thing and get it 100% before starting to use it for the business. What exactly would you expect to be done if you put your whippy in for a service?
Cheers Shannon

tree beard
16-09-2008, 09:15 PM
If mine was serviced, I would expect
Oil change if its 4 stroke
spark plug changed
air filter changed or cleaned and reset if serviceable
Fuel filter pick up cleaned
grease points lubed
mixture and idle speed set
Unit test run for functionality
and one of those little quality control and services tags with the rubber band attached to the handle to make me feel better about the cost :laughing:

NWGL
16-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Same as Tree Beard.

My shop has a sign that says 'Services from $66.00', but no other details.

When I go in, I either tell them what the problem is & to fix it, or ask them to give the machine a good once over.

Normally they check everything, change spark plug, oil, filters etc.

When you get your car serviced, you normally know the approx. price and the handbook lists exactly what will be done.

This shouldn't be any different. If they don't tell you what they will do, then ask them.

holdenhead
17-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi all,

My local used to be very good but since the mechanic changed over it's gone down hill. I do all the servicing on my machines myself but when I have a problem I cant work out I take it in for the pros to look at. The one thing that used to stand out when the other mechanic was there is my machine would come back spotless. If it was the snipper that had an idle problem it would be fixed and be cleaned from top to bottom.

Now things are different the mechanic does just what he has to and that's it. I have gone elsewhere but use the bigger shop for parts etc. And now have to build a friendship with a new shop all over again.