PDA

View Full Version : Catch or Mulch clippings?

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi folks,

What is your preffered method when commercial mowing, large lawns...collect or mulch?

Some clients want clippings collected, others like mulched, others don't care as long as it is tidy.

I only offer side discharge now and mulching...

Thanks for your views and comments.

THEONE
31-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I Like Collecting The Grass In Most Lawns As It Gives A Much Better Finish

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks.

I started out catching with a Walker 48'' deck GHS, but was finding trips to the tip taking too much time, and clients in my area wouldn't wear extra to help cover this, their grass, why should I dispose their trash I thought..

Then went into mulching with my next mower a Toro Z355, mulch/catch.
The mulch finish on maintained lawns was great, no tip trips!

But then bigger less maintained jobs were too heavy to mulch, I bought a new Toro Z588E this year, mulch and side discharge, mainly side discharge with mulch blades and a chute blocker when required.

I agree picking up grass gives a better cleaner look, but carting clippings isn't ideal, I am a big believer in mulching now, profits are higher.

I'm talking ride on work on large lawns and acreage here btw.

Thanks.

erickendall
31-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi guys,

just a quick one on this subject. Has anyone got a cheaper alternative to taking clippings to the tip? What about pet shops or poultry farms? Or even compressing in blocks for solid fuel! (just a thought!). Any other recycling ideas??

Regards,
Eric

Ebony
31-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi Eric

The chook farms etc. love the grass fresh. It is no good once it starts to decompose. The first time we heard of choock farms asking and taking grass clippings was in Frankston Victoria area I think and they were taking it free of charge, only condition was that it was FRESH.

They then built up the older grass and chucked lime on it, and they had compost. Lime is really good for breaking it down faster.

Just don't stick your hand in a pile of composting grass BURNIES lol

Welcome to the forum Eric

Ebony
31-05-2004, 03:06 PM
An alternative to "Tip Fees" depending on your area could also be the commercial bin hire, through Collex or JJ's or similar

Information on Colex can be found at www.indmowing.com.au/collex_bins.htm I am not sure if these are current prices listed or not, however it should give you an idea.

Of course it does depend on the area you are in, and whether you have the room. Generally saves you quite a bit of money over tip fees etc. and saves you carrying grass in your trailer when you can come home and empty every night

All the best

Ebony

http://www.indmowing.com.au/collex.jpg

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Problem is you are still carting around other people's trash so to speak which costs you. This is the exact reason I went to mulch mowing.

And in conditions where the grass is a bit long and clippings are visable, tough, the client should of called earlier instead of trying to stretch their penny as they do hoping we will turn jungles into lawns, no way, we are cheap enough as it is...imo.

Carting clippings is old news in my book, we live in a climate where many grasses benefit from recycling, not all obviously...so some places have to be serviced accordingly.

Ebony
31-05-2004, 03:07 PM
In the case where you have a dedicated mulching mower, or it is not a bagger then that's fine. But if you have the ability, then you could always offer the customer the OPTION. You simply charge more for taking the clippings. Those that want a cheaper cut will get it, those who want the neater look can pay the extra to have all grass clippings removed etc.

Some times we have to fit into their budget - you get what you pay for as they say!

Removing the grass clippings was origionally an add on service introduced as a sales point. Over the years it has become the norm and many expect it. But everyone is looking for alternatives and many will be more then happy to have you mulch if you explain it will be cheaper. For those who can, give them the option.

Ebony

erickendall
31-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I thought it may be several days before a reply. It seems a pretty active forum!! Thanks again.

Regards,
Eric

mick
31-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Eric, I live on an acreage so its easy for me to say it but I just push it off the ute onto a garden at home! The chooks then come along and spread it out for me! I dont see why just about anyone could just set up a spot in the garden for compost. As contractors, we'd need a pretty big one though. I leave clippings at my small customers as much as posible but always end up with some. Do any of your customers have vege gardens?

As for acreage stuff. If I had a bagger, Id use it for extra $$ maybe around a house but out in the yard/paddock, No. I think it really depends on a the property. If its a say half acre or so with nice lawns, a bagger is good. Need somewhere on the prop to dump it though. If its an old cow paddock, side discharge. Theres no way I'd bag cow ,horse or (dont laugh) Alpaca cr@p! phew

Ebony
31-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Apparently Alpaca poo makes fantastic compost or so I have heard.

Yea most contractors would require a very large area for grass clippings then you have the flies hanging around and when it turns into the mushy stuff, I find it very hard to dig over.

Dean used to have a one ton ute and got a Cage made up for it. Made from Dog Wire (i think that's what they call it) It already had the three walls, just put one more and made a nicely aerated area to put grass clipping and anything else good for a compost. Chuck some dirt on now and again and other materials to mix it up. Takes awhile to go down, put lime on it and it will sink a lot over night type of thing.

It is amazing how hot it really does get! Even when it is in the grass bags and is only a few days old, it can really get some heat build up in there. The lime is good as it does get very acidic

Ebony

Easycareacres
31-05-2004, 03:10 PM
yes this is a hard one as residentual houses insist on removing the grass.

If one can persuade them mulching then good saves your pocket later.

You could always empty clippings on ute or trailer no cover and crank up the speed down road ?

mick
31-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Good to see ya Russ! Yeap seen that, clippings going everywhere. Helps stop tail gaters though!

For some reason, my clip dont stink! I dont leave it on the ute for more than a couple of hours and there usually isnt that much though, then its onto the garden.

I really hate how councils charge for this stuff. We already pay rates etc then get charged for dumping waste. The home owner pays for it twice in the end. If you know what I mean. A few years ago the council here stopped charging, they quickly changed back. They must make a bit of money out of it.

mick
31-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Apparently Alpaca poo makes fantastic compost or so I have heard.

I'm sure it is but it makes a hell of a mess of the deck. Not to mention the smell sometimes.

I do this place and they have 2 of them. They're supposed to crap in the same place all the time, and they do but theres about 3 places they do it, all the time. The owner said to just run over it, its cool, good fertilizer. Only did that once and now I go around it. Terrible stuff! Especially the fresh stuff!

Easycareacres
31-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Yes Mick Its disgusting to have to pay for waste that breaks down , the councils even sell back tree mulch that tax payers paid to dump.
When I lived in NZ i was leading hand for a privatised council, we had 4 trucks big high sides tippers, 8 walker ghs mowers and we took our clippings to another councils tip as was cheaper for dumping.
Someone said above about making bricks etc, ha Ive thought of that one also back then. Cant even feed to cows they get grass staggers.
Well if we got smart we all could leave mowing and sell grass salads for Mcdonalds

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Is mulch mowing really that unacceptable?

Not sure how you guys cover the expense of driving to tips etc and even paying to dump, that expense must be allowed for in the quote, in this town charging extra to collect and dump isn't on, this is a freebie, so when I started mulch mowing 1/4 acre min, mostly 1 to 2 acres, I was then able to free up 1.5 hours ave. in dump time per day. If the grass is at normal maintained cut height mulching done correctly looks very clean, look at the pics on my web site, all mulched, no trash left either except for the paddock job.

With the benefits of mulching and time saved, I'd never collect again. And using a bagger around the house and side discharging the rest...the price of baggers on ride ons around 5K, the bulk, and still needing to dump...makes this job even harder.

I know everyone to their own, and different grasses perform different to mulching, and different areas have different expectations and budgets for lawn care.

If I was hand mowing house yards pick up would probably be desirable, but in the stuff I do I'm lucky to be able to mulch and leave a nice finish, no more handling clippings for me!

pbm
31-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Whether you bag, mulch or side discharge depends on the job that you are mowing. Time of year type of grass is a consideration. I think it best to use a machine that can do all three, that is why I run a Walker with a GHS 42 inch deck with a 42 inch side discharge with mulching kit. I can do all 3 applications. If I can mulch and it looks good why bag. It all comes down to the fact that when I leave a job if it is to my satisfaction who cares if i have bagged it or mulched of side discharged. If I am happy I know the customer will be happy. Also as a side note I went to Cranbourne tip on Friday, the girl at the gate asked if I was commercial, I replied yes do we get a better rate, no private pay $14 and commercial is $20 was the reply. I think I'll stick to Frankston or Mornington.

mick
31-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Hell no and I hear you Tony, I really do. If I had a mulch kit I'd use it as opposed to discharge on the some lawns. If I had a bagger I'd use that on others. If or when I get myself a ZTR, I'd probably get the bagger some time down the track, its an add on and I can charge for it! I'm lucky in the fact I dont have to pay tip fees anymore. Just dump at home for the chooks!

It really comes down to what ever works for you in any given situation.

Gofa
31-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I firmly agree with Tony that a regularly mown lawn, cut at the correct height does not show any difference in finish after mulch mowing. An additional benefit of mulching is reduced fertiliser requirement. Returning your clip to the lawn reduces the amount of fertiliser required by half!! (Handreck & Black) It also returns organic matter, which improves moisture retention, buffers against pH changes, and improves nutrient availability (could help the earlier post who has their lawn on sand problem) . So you are not only eliminating the cost/problem of disposing of clippings, but - when done properly - improving the appearance and condition of your clients lawn. (Eric) If your client insists on removing the clip, even after you have explained all the obvious benefits, look for organic gardeners, permaculture goups who often will take clip for composting - some will take it for free, others for a small charge. Hope this helps... Mulch - mulch - mulch!!!

THEONE
31-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Yes i hear what you are saying about mulching , when you mulch if the garden has weeds you spread them around .I do some very exacting lawns .I wash the mower down b4 doing a non weedy lawn otherwise ALL LAWNS WOULD BE WEEDIE wouldnt they :)

THEONE
31-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes PBM thats why alot of contractors are now using trailors with no signage some actually have two trailers they go to the tip camouflaged as a rate payer u even have to work out the rosters of the people on the gate but it can save you about 200.00 to 300.00 a year if its worth saving its worth doing

THEONE
31-05-2004, 03:19 PM
if YOU SAVE SIX BUCKS AND SPEND TEN GOIN SOME WHERE ELSE U LOSE 4.00 LOL

odin
31-05-2004, 03:19 PM
here in chicago most lawns i side discharge ..clippings to get rid of costs 8 dollers american per cubic yard ...but bagging 3 acre is a pain in the ass and takes to much time ..

Some small city lots 1 to 2 thousand square feet we bag with 21 inch toros ..people pay 30 bucks american to have these lawns bagged and cut with a small mower.two guys on em 12 minutes each trimmed mowed and edged.

Hills Lawncare Services
31-05-2004, 03:22 PM
From my experience continously mulching of a lawn causes thatching, which to my suprise no one has brought up in this forum (unless I have missed a posting). This is particularly more obvious on more vigorous lawns such as kikuyu.

Whilst I myself use a side discharge on some of my clients, I do it reluctantly and only because the client is not concerned with the finish and wanting the cheapest possible price. You may get away with muching your lawns for a while, after time the quality will decline.

In regards to a comment suggesting that mulching improve moisture retention and improve nutrient availability, while I agree there is truth to this point depending on the environment, it can also have a negative effect in enouraging pest and diseases within a lawn.

I do not believe the clipping should be disposed at a tip (I do understand this may be the only option sometimes). I have tried to encourage many of my client to install compost bins, which is an add on service you can provide for them and later on adding the compost into the gardens which again is another service you can provide.

Thanks

Charbel

Stuie
31-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Ninety nine percent of the guys around here use a catcher.Does leave a nicer finish i think.We use a catcher on every job except one block of units.

When i was mowing acres using a zero turn they specified a catcher must be used in the contract. I was the only taker on the contract and told them it would cost them an extra $180.00 in tip fees alone to remove the waste.I got the contract without a catcher and when i had done the job you couldnt see where the grass was piled in rows.Anything visible just needed a quick runover at speed and was dispersed.They were happy as was i.

Gofa
31-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Side discharging is not the same as mulching. Mulching produces much finer clip which decomposes quickly and is returned to the soil, where, as humus, it make the contributions outlined in my earlier post. It does not in itself result in a build up of thatch, nor does mulching contribute to pest and disease problems - excessive thatch does, but thatch is more related to the growth habit of the grass, which Charbel points out is a parlicular problem with kikuyu, and certain cultivars of green couch. Don't let the fear of thatch build up discourage you from mulching - research show that it does not contribute - all vigorous lawns require de-thatching. I like the idea of the compost bin option, will offer it to some of my clients. Good to hear "TheOne" washes down between lawns - a practice I think sets you apart in terms of quality of service. I also agree that mulching a weedy lawn - when is seed - is not a good idea. Too often I hear complaints that "the mower man" spreads weeds.
Taking preventative measures raises the quality of service and the image of your business.

Mrs HMS
17-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm just bumping up some old, old threads.

This question has come up quite a few times that I've seen and this thread has a few thoughts that later ones don't...I don't necessarily agree with them but it's something new (well old but new).

Andy B
17-04-2010, 08:19 PM
It's horses for courses with me, some lawns could do with mulching, and others I wouldn't dare. In my limited experience, if it's starved and the weeds aren't going to flourish it's okay to mulch but if it's thick and lush catch it.

Maybe some of the more experience guys could discuss what's good for what and when???