PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing: Can one convert a pita?

geejay
20-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Can one convert a pita?turn them into a realstic paying beut client thats appreciative of our service. :i dunno:

or is it in their gene make up,they're a pita and thats that. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sad,sad...

i think maybe a very small percentage will change but the majority will stay pitas as the lawnie system allows them to get what they want?

i.e plenty of lawnies prepared to do this kind of work and newbies doing their apprentship,learning the job and pricing as they go along.. :)

the pitas pay the apprenticeships,the apprentice learns,figures things out,ring turns to gold,and prices change,pita bolts or stays,newbeshie gets well priced good client to replace pita :)

simo
20-09-2008, 03:51 PM
In my opinion no, but if the right $$$ I do work for them ...I have a couple that nobody else wanted which makes them give me $$$ to mow but no Gardening for pitas just mowing 4 $$$...

lifestyle
20-09-2008, 07:39 PM
In my opinion no, but if the right $$$ I do work for them ...I have a couple that nobody else wanted which makes them give me $$$ to mow but no Gardening for pitas just mowing 4 $$$...

Depends what your converting them from... But considering they seem to be full of hot air anyway, gas wouldn't be a viable conversion option... Stick with ULP or diesel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tree beard
20-09-2008, 07:48 PM
It is my belief that a Pita is a Pita

If you think they are improving or being converted, the problem is with you! you are slipping into a comfort zone of dropping your standards.

I would strongly reccommend you raise your prices immediatly and take on large amounts of gardening work... :laughing: :laughing:

That should get you back on track :Rain:

simo
20-09-2008, 08:24 PM
It is my belief that a Pita is a Pita

If you think they are improving or being converted, the problem is with you! you are slipping into a comfort zone of dropping your standards.

I would strongly reccommend you raise your prices immediatly and take on large amounts of gardening work... :laughing: :laughing:

That should get you back on track :Rain:
No I wouldn`t try to convert a pita nor try to improve one, But would mow there lawn for GOOD $$$ ( gardening work I believe is harder work than mowing especialy when pitas are concerned)

Bgs
20-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I converted one it went from calls whenever the grass was knee high high and had to be done that day didn't want to pay too much crap scattered all over the lawn.

After a lot of work got them on fortnightly visits they started to take a bit of pride in their place got extra work trimming trees weeding garden beds place started to look really good and they were in my top 10 of biggest accounts

Unfortunately the Pita gene is very strong and they reverted back winter came they said its slowing down will give me a call that was 3 months ago drove by last week grass knee high :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

geejay
21-09-2008, 08:29 AM
i have a similar client,winter things have slowed down,i was in the area and drove passd,now this is posh berb,yard over grown,not a good image,they drive a statesman,hang with the hot nobbies,and iam really concerned,are they ill,stop and lady comes out,all well dressed to the nines,alls well we will call,replied back don't hurry, you would not want to waste your money on us and have your yard looking good :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its in the genes,it may hide for a wee while,but beware it will hit you fare and square between the legs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i say nail them

this ones price will jump for sure.

Gary
30-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Here's my story about a customer who slowly turned into a pita.

Large property, awkward and steep in places, ride-on and self propelled needed.

Started out in 2001 at $40ph for ride-on and $25ph for mule. The place was poorly kept and a mess. We (my son & I ) got to work and turned it into a parkland through downright hard work and plenty of glyphosate.

Pats on back and plenty of positive feedback for years from him, and especially his wife.

This blokes doing ok - large car components business supplying Holden, Mitsubishi and brake pad oem Bendix Mintex, and of course
I invoiced the company for payment, and waited and waited for payment and a phone call usually got me paid months later.

We also maintained two of his business properties and his total account was worth about $5000 per year to us.

By chance we met at one of his businesses recently, and when I asked him about payment for July (this was now October) he fired.

Times are tough, from now on cut it at 3 weekly intervals, blah, blah blah. - He may as well have called me a thief. He said that he had 130 employees and one of them could whip around and do it on a ride-on.

I did not get abusive ( I should have) but I said I would think about it ( after all it was a lot to lose - I was worried about keeping enough work for my son)

My decision was made after a lot of thought - get someone else you pryck.

We were charging $50ph for ride-on + $30ph for mule. 6 man hours of bloody hard work got us $245.00 (my quoted price)

His wife rang me unexpectedly and said could you mow our property
in the next few days (it had got to 3 weeks since our last visit)
She was unaware of our encounter with her husband 2 weeks prior
and when I said we had made a decision to move on, she said "whats he done, he's been under a lot of pressure lately.

Enough said. We sacked him and I have never felt better and I have picked up enough work to not miss his money.

We were underpriced and he will learn not to shoot his mouth off
without thinking first.

tree beard
30-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Personally I am starting to regard PITAS as an inheritance!

One that I am leaving for some one else :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sandgroper
31-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I send all the PITAS to Jims :)

glassngrass
31-10-2008, 06:44 AM
An older lady calls me for a BIG cleanup job. She has a paddock enclosed to keep her stray/pound/rescued dogs in. Grass is waist high and wants the clippings caught and removed cos the grass seeds get in the dogs' coats. Also mow and ws her orchard, alongside driveway and all around house.
I give her an hourly rate but she wants a quote. I quote her two full days just to mow and ws ($800), everything else at hourly rate plus expenses.
I mow, ws, and also fix her fence.
Customer not happy- why?
1. I didn't collect the clippings in the orchard (was not requested)
2. Didn't remove grass in rock borders or in garden beds (quoted to m & ws lawn areas only. Weeding and garden beds were other items on the to-do list)
3. Fixed fence looks 'crap'. (Yet she praised how good it looked two days earlier)

Customer won't permit me to attend areas she wasn't happy with at no charge and then calls me dishonest! She then pays me only two thirds of invoice.

Suspecting beforehand she may well be a PITA, I prepared a computerised invoice with full account terms clearly printed - eg. balance due on completion, amounts forwarded to debt collector will have commissions and legal fees added to claim, $20/month overdue account fee, etc... :laughing:

I have little interest in converting PITAS, however, have seen the need to be cautious not to leave myself wide open to getting burnt by them. I increasingly ask for an account application, or half payment up front when it comesto big jobs -especially for new customers. :cool:

Sandgroper
31-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I ask for all money up front if someones renting and i have concerns that they might not pay (on mowing jobs) they look mildly suprised when i say that will be $40 thanks before i start,,but they pay :)

Hustler
31-10-2008, 09:04 PM
mates i know im a dumb sh-t but why doy use pita why not spell it out pain in the a-se there are some people the can not spell and the ones that can its easyer to write it the right wat

BLUEVBOY
01-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Guys ,
I know the type of customer you are describing ; But what is the exact meaning of a PITA ?

Thanks Brad

Hustler
01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
thanks blue boy i thought i was a dumb but i think its pain in the arse
regards

lifestyle
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Guys ,
I know the type of customer you are describing ; But what is the exact meaning of a PITA ?

Thanks Brad

P = Pain
I = In
T = The
A = Ars.e

lifestyle
01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry Hustler,

Didn't realise you had already replied and explained... :)

tree beard
01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I have little interest in converting PITAS, however, have seen the need to be cautious not to leave myself wide open to getting burnt by them. I increasingly ask for an account application, or half payment up front when it comesto big jobs -especially for new customers. :cool:

Hi Glass

Have to say your experience crosses my mind with some of the jobs I quote and do. Some of the prospects you look at and just wonder how its all going to go. :i dunno:

glassngrass
01-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Glass

Have to say your experience crosses my mind with some of the jobs I quote and do. Some of the prospects you look at and just wonder how its all going to go. :i dunno:

It can be hard to guess which customers will give you grief. I prefer to start with small jobs for them first, confirm they are a 'payer', then accept bigger jobs for them. It's about risk management. With the customer I mentioned last, she had perhaps two weeks full time work for me and wanted to pay for it all on completion. I 'smelled a rat' and said I would require payment after each day or task was completed before further works were started. After an assistant and I spent a whole day at her property I gave her the bill. Suspecting I might have difficulties with her, I had prepared beforehand a final demand to give her.

tree beard
01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Glass

Yes I like that approach, can come across quite professional but still leaves you a little exposed, but that is the nature of you own business is it.

Thanks for your thoughts! :ebony:

geejay
05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
no i do not think a pita can be coverted its part of the gene make up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it pays to ask the right questions,listen carefully to the answers and don't get suckered into their web ;)

glassngrass
05-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes, listen carefully! Usually in casual conversation before you start you can find out where they work, where there partner works and a host of other valuable info that can help the debt collector (if it comes to that). I record that information in my accounting program for reference!
The last final demand I sent suggested they would likely prefer to avoid the possible embarrasment that could come from my debt collector's field agent visiting them at their place of employment (name employer!) - They then paid up!

Is there a PITA gene? Perhaps it's related to overuse of glyphosate? :laughing: :laughing:

lifestyle
05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Is there a PITA gene? Perhaps it's related to overuse of glyphosate? :laughing: :laughing:

Beauty mate, your fighting for the cause in a seperate thread :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

glassngrass
12-11-2008, 10:51 PM
An older lady calls me for a BIG cleanup job. She has a paddock enclosed to keep her stray/pound/rescued dogs in. Grass is waist high and wants the clippings caught and removed cos the grass seeds get in the dogs' coats. Also mow and ws her orchard, alongside driveway and all around house.
I give her an hourly rate but she wants a quote. I quote her two full days just to mow and ws ($800), everything else at hourly rate plus expenses.
Customer not happy- why?
2. Didn't remove grass in rock borders or in garden beds (quoted to m & ws lawn areas only. Weeding and garden beds were other items on the to-do list)
3. Fixed fence looks 'crap'. (Yet she praised how good it looked two days earlier)

Customer won't permit me to attend areas she wasn't happy with at no charge and then calls me dishonest! She then pays me only two thirds of invoice.

Suspecting beforehand she may well be a PITA, I prepared a computerised invoice with full account terms clearly printed - eg. balance due on completion, amounts forwarded to debt collector will have commissions and legal fees added to claim, $20/month overdue account fee, etc...
Sent her account details to the debt collector for 'elevated enforcement action'. Received a letter from her solicitor today with a counter-claim demanding payment by immediate return. She claims works unsatisfactory and incomplete, also claiming for damage we did not do! Rather than her owe me $260, she claims I owe her $180!
For example, we moved three concrete troughs for her to plant out. On picking up one we disturbed a snake, jumped back and dropped the trough, breaking it in two. She wants $100 reimbursement!
She claims we cut her hose in six places and broke a statue - yeah, right! ($30 and $50)

Deep inside we all know whether we have done the right thing by our customer. In this case, I know I have.

Is this the mother of all PITA's or what?

tree beard
12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
This sounds like fun!

I actually like playing these games. Id send a return letter noting unsafe working environment and dangers associated risk to your good person and staff in carrying out this work. I would also ask for evidence that the damaged items were in fact intact prior to commencement of work. I would also add an additional $100 for consultation of solicitor with alledged fraudulent claims. I would also send a new aged invoice by return mail. There is also the matter of defemation.....

Reason...the solictor will continue to charge her for his services! It will also take up a good bit of her time. But I can be vindictive if pushed :i dunno:

glassngrass
12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I've already sent debt to collections agency (Prushka) who have their own solicitor. Best to leave with them at moment.

I don't know if how will proceed as this is my first pita who is disputing amount owed.

glassngrass
16-11-2008, 08:12 AM
...the solictor will continue to charge her for his services! It will also take up a good bit of her time.
I would also add an additional $100 for consultation of solicitor

I suspect the solicitor is a family freind!
My debt collector advise that dropping the trough at sight of snake is a natural reaction that is beyond my control, as such I cannot be held responsible for it breaking. Nonetheless, I will source a replacement.
Account term included debt collector's commissions and any legal fees will be added to claim!

Will keep you updated.

tree beard - would love to hear more of your suggestions to discourage ongoing resistance.

Sandgroper
16-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Arr the good old you damaged my property and i am not paying and you owe me money scam,,i had a one off mow that did that,,it was $85 but she started about all the "damaged " property and is not paying,,,,,,,,i will return her lawn clippings at the end of the year as per my return policy(before christmas day) , but won't bother to go to court,,,i might even give her a christmas card saying i hope she has a merry christmas and please think about the fact that i cant buy presents or feed my kids at christmas,,while she sits in her pool sipping champers on her multi millon dollar property. ;)

mowjoman
16-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Beeeaarrrch!!!!!

Sandgroper
16-11-2008, 03:12 PM
And mine said she was a lawyer,i think she really is to :rolleyes:

danz
22-11-2008, 08:44 PM
There is only a slim percentage of pita's that you can convert lol but it takes abit of patience and as they say time is money, so i dont bother converting them i just state it how it is if they dont like it they can find someone else ;dealers;

Elitemow
24-11-2008, 10:34 PM
One way of getting the slow paying/non paying PITA's to come up with the cash is to subtly suggest to them that the mysterious load of rubbish that may materialise in their driveway might cost them more to get rid of than the actual outstanding account. Hasnt failed me yet... :laughing: :laughing:

danz
29-11-2008, 10:03 AM
hahaha i havent tried that one yet

AdrianH
17-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I got my first PITA today. I went and did a quote for a bloke after taking the call last night. Straight away I smelt trouble, he was giggling and laughing and telling me his mate down the road cut it for 35 dollars. I said id be out today to quote, so off i go get to the house and hes not home, no problem I stuck the quote to the door (I quoted $80) the grass is a foot high, rubbish is strewn every where, in the back yard its worse, there is empty cans of dog food and cigarette butts and poo in a 10 foot square area.

God I hope i dont get the job lol, peering through the windows into the house its just as bad. i really dont think this guy could pay $35 let alone $80 (which i think i have under quoted anyway).

geejay
17-12-2008, 03:25 PM
i had one today that i quoted on a month($80) back,called me twice,was passing yesterday,grass was long but sparce,easy to bang over,banged on the door,sorry have been busy,still want it cut,yes,could see the desperation in the eyes,ok its longer now,$120,go head,banged it over in 90 mins,grabed the $120 and vamoos,one in that pitas eye,yeah,it felt good,had a shower and cracking a cold one. :)

Bluey
17-12-2008, 05:40 PM
And that's the way you do it.......money for nothin and your pitas for free.

Sandgroper
17-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I got my first PITA today. I went and did a quote for a bloke after taking the call last night. Straight away I smelt trouble, he was giggling and laughing and telling me his mate down the road cut it for 35 dollars. I said id be out today to quote, so off i go get to the house and hes not home, no problem I stuck the quote to the door (I quoted $80) the grass is a foot high, rubbish is strewn every where, in the back yard its worse, there is empty cans of dog food and cigarette butts and poo in a 10 foot square area.

God I hope i dont get the job lol, peering through the windows into the house its just as bad. i really dont think this guy could pay $35 let alone $80 (which i think i have under quoted anyway).

Giggling and laughing ? :i dunno: maybe it was just a prank ? might not be anybody living there anymore,,just someone having fun with the lawn guy,,another LCO or somebody else ?

Be interesting if you get it.

AdrianH
18-12-2008, 07:49 AM
He hasnt called back yet, Ill do a drive by today and see.

geejay
18-12-2008, 05:18 PM
strike one,pita converted(for now,old african saying,a leopard never changes its spots),this regular was drifting into the dark gloomy pita syndrome,put the brakes on,increased price and reminded her what a regular is,lost her for a month,called asking very nicely for a cut,played cool,missed this week will see if we can fit you in a run,anyway got her in and going,xmas gift a vintage red pinfold,card and gift wraped,plus big chessy smile and thank you,hmm,sweet smell of sucess. :) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bluey
18-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Had a pearler today. Woman rang yesterday arvo all in a panic wanted lawns done for Xmas. Told her I could do a quote this arvo on my way home and she says great she will be there to explain what she wants done. She intimates it might lead to regular gardening etc etc.

Well I turn up at the allocated time and the place is mess overgrown to buggery. Knock on door and no answer. Ring ph no she gave me no answer. Was at vehicle writing out note to leave at the door when up rocks a Jimbo. Bloke gets out gives me a sideways look and walks up to front door. I say G'day and explain she isn't home but he knocks anyway and gets the same result as me.

He then thaws a bit and comes over for a chat and we are talking when lo and behold up rocks Mr Clip. Well me and Jimbo watch Clipo go through the same motions as we did and I am getting a bit jokey about the whole thing. I call out to Clipo and ask him what he is doing. He says nothing goes and knocks and gets no answer.

Clipo then joins us on the street and we are discussing the whole thing when you wouldn't believe it up rocks VIP man. That's enough for me and Jimbo and Clipo and we all tell him she is not home but he tries the door anyway to much laughter then joins us wanting to know what the hell is going on.

We all have a bit a of a laugh about it and a general chit chat then jump in our vehicles and head off. When I get home I ring the no she gave me again and a bloke answers. I ask for her but he explains she has left and the way he says "left" says it all. I explain that I had to do a quote there and that whilst I was doing 3 other lawnies turned up to do the same thing and none of us really appreciated being given the run around. He apologises and sounds long suffering and says that would be her all over and she had probably done it to give him the ****s. I feel sorry for him and wish him a merry Xmas and hang up.

Must have been a funny sight all 4 of us pulled up in the street but it was amusing although it was a waste of time. Reckon she should get the Golden Pita for that one.

cadase
18-12-2008, 08:05 PM
the hubby is probably an independant :i dunno:

danz
18-12-2008, 10:08 PM
A Guy probably got his chick to ring cause he was probably trying to suss prices who knows lol but that wouldve been a sight to see 4 guys from 4 different companies sitting out the front having a yarn,,

Bluey
19-12-2008, 04:35 PM
the hubby is probably an independant :i dunno:

Yeah....hadn't thought about that

Sandgroper
19-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I got to one job once and there was 3 others rocked at the same time,,she took us one by one to explain points of interest and got our quotes,, :wave-hi:

Thats the way to do it,,if your a homeowner you only have to arrange the one time ,,,,lol

glassngrass
25-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Customer not happy- why?

Suspecting beforehand she may well be a PITA, I prepared a computerised invoice with full account terms clearly printed - eg. balance due on completion, amounts forwarded to debt collector will have commissions and legal fees added to claim, $20/month overdue account fee, etc...

Sent her account details to the debt collector for 'elevated enforcement action'. Received a letter from her solicitor today with a counter-claim demanding payment by immediate return. She claims works unsatisfactory and incomplete, also claiming for damage we did not do! Rather than her owe me $260, she claims I owe her $180!
For example, we moved three concrete troughs for her to plant out. On picking up one we disturbed a snake, jumped back and dropped the trough, breaking it in two. She wants $100 reimbursement!
She claims we cut her hose in six places and broke a statue - yeah, right! ($30 and $50)

Deep inside we all know whether we have done the right thing by our customer. In this case, I know I have.

Is this the mother of all PITA's or what?

My debt collector advises that Pita's solicitor sent a cheque with an offer to settle. She will accept $260 debt only IF I accept her counter claim of $180. Needless to say I decline and instruct debt collector to pursue $260 plus $40 for damaged blades plus overdue account fees plus penalty interest plus legal fees plus debt collector's commissions. I suspect her bill will be over $1,000.

I firmly believe that to yield to pitas encourage them to continue in their course and cause grief for yet others. We must make them accountable.

Eastwood
31-12-2008, 08:27 AM
I had a pita yesterday. Arrive at job, mow front and nature strip go to the back gate,cars to close together ,knock on door and ask if the car could be moved to gain access to back yard.Answer was you can get thru, I said I can't,she said I can,I said come and show me,she said thru there in front of the car,I said I was not going to lift the mower over sleepers and thru the garden bed.She stormed off saying she was not moving the car and slammed the front door. I decided to start to whippersnip the front thinking she will change her mind,next thing she storms up the drive ranting and raving about me taking the money before the job was compleated and I was a thief.At this point I boiled , gave the money back and told her to stick it where the sun don't shine and packed up. With her still ranting and raving in the drive I wished her a happy new year and drove off to the next job.

administrator
31-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I am going to be the devils advocate here .

When you quoted you should of seen the danger coming you knew you wouldnt be picking up the mower to get to the back yard you should of not assumed that she would move it or even if the vechile may be working to be able to be moved may be you should of sorted that out with the customer b4 you took the job on .

You cost yourselve the job .

i know seems a bit harsh but i am the devil lol

Eastwood
31-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I know it cost me a job,this customer I have had for 2 years, normally the car is parked further over to the side,(which I pointed out to her) allowing me access to the gate and up till now I have not had a problem with her.

chatza
01-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I had a chick call me yesterday and ask if i did lawns for free cause the last place she rented the gardener came did his thing and left and they never paid.

Couldent belive it.

TOO EASY YARD CARE
01-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I had a chick call me yesterday and ask if i did lawns for free cause the last place she rented the gardener came did his thing and left and they never paid.

Couldent belive it.

maybe it was the owner of the place he might be a mower man

glassngrass
16-01-2009, 05:24 PM
My debt collector advises that Pita's solicitor sent a cheque with an offer to settle. She will accept $260 debt only IF I accept her counter claim of $180. Needless to say I decline and instruct debt collector to pursue $260 plus $40 for damaged blades plus overdue account fees plus penalty interest plus legal fees plus debt collector's commissions. I suspect her bill will be over $1,000.

I firmly believe that to yield to pitas encourage them to continue in their course and cause grief for yet others. We must make them accountable.
My debt collector (Prushka's) rang to advise my PITA has rolled over - they dropped counter claim and paid in full amount sought - outstanding debt + debt collector commissions and expenses + overdue account fee. ;frosty;
I feel good! Time for a well earned coldie...

Bluey
16-01-2009, 05:37 PM
My debt collector (Prushka's) rang to advise my PITA has rolled over - they dropped counter claim and paid in full amount sought - outstanding debt + debt collector commissions and expenses + overdue account fee. ;frosty;
I feel good! Time for a well earned coldie...

Well done David. Persistence pays off. The funny thing is she has had to pay her solicitors fees as well. I can't see the sense in it. Why not just pay the bill first up. Would have been cheaper and less aggravating for her and you. :clap:

geejay
16-01-2009, 09:33 PM
awesome,way to go put the pitas away. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

glassngrass
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Has anybody had some successes in being victorious over PITA's lately?

danz
09-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Yep.. I had this twit who was a smart ass everytime i came to mow his lawn he was just a prick and always talked down to me like he was a the king and i were a piece of crap blah blah.. i ended up telling him if he's such a $%^$#en expert at everything and so good why did his wife ring me to mow there lawn haha i asked him if he would like to mow it himself.. That was a year ago and we get on great now and he has been great since