PDA

View Full Version : Lawns Hows it growing ?

simo
26-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi all hasn`t the grass and gardens gone wild, I`ve gone from slow 2 working my butt off (I think I have bitten of more than I can chew) Hows it growing ??.. :)

mowjoman
26-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Starting pick up here.
Have gone to 2 week cycles for some of my customers and the others will soon follow I'm sure...here it comes :)

tree beard
26-09-2008, 08:43 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thats right its all smiles here!

1st season in ages bring it on! Having so much fun grass and weeds are growing....sigh

Happy Happy Happy Happy

:wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Bluey
26-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Flat out here too but I am having trouble convincing some of my regulars to go to a 2 week cut.

BLACK BEAR
26-09-2008, 09:17 PM
A week or two of rain would not hurt us in melbourne :dean: , many of mine are reluctant to go 2 weekly :mad:

Bluey
26-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Funny thing is I have clients who have grass as gren as and bolting to the roof and others whos lawns are on their last legs. Funny how this changes.

Bluey
26-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Whats the trick to convince them to go 2 weekly?

Shepparton Lawn Care
26-09-2008, 10:00 PM
What started out as being the first decent spring in 4 years is slowly fading away-a bit scary seeing we are only 3/4 of the way through September. Warm winds, dry days, no precipitation=worry!!

tree beard
26-09-2008, 10:08 PM
not around Newcastle,
Good rain warm days couple were a bit warm and blowy but generally looking good.

simo
27-09-2008, 07:38 AM
No adverts but phone is running HOT from word of mouth, shortage of good reliable lco`s (a ton of short lived unfriendly nock it over $$ makers or cowboys) Warm weather light showers of rain purfect :) :) :) :) :Rain: :D

geoff
27-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Unfortunatley for us down here in Melbourne , things a looking gloomy for the summer,spring rains havent come , expected 28 c grand final day , drying winds the way they are going will dry that spring grass real quick....one month of spring gone so we need it in oct to get through summer...... looks like another of those dry seasons,12 in a row...

holdenhead
28-09-2008, 09:38 PM
At the moment I'm flat out. Cant get to all my lawns. I have 10-20 per week left undone. (I only leave the one's that couldn't give a rat's) Just debating if I should sell 40-50 or keep them but dont know what is coming in summer??

I built this round up to 150 lawns which has been awsome all last summer and right through winter constant work. In 3 weeks I have picked up another 9 lawns from word of mouth and putting in some bigger quotes but still getting the work.

I got one last Thursday who is next to one of my other customers but am only in that area every 2 weeks as it is a bit out of my way but every fortnight I have 1/2 day work down there. She is happy to wait till next fornight for me to get there. they are all 1/2 to 3/4 acre blocks down there.

BLACK BEAR
29-09-2008, 09:20 AM
:Rain: :Rain: SH**, I think its raining in Melbourne, up to 10mm in my suburbs, :clap: we might have a spring for a few weeks :laughing: :Rain:

tree beard
29-09-2008, 08:33 PM
yep and raining again in Newcastle, possibly tomorrow. certainly get the phone ringing!
:) :) :)

simo
25-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Very dry here ,But still getting lots of new customers and plenty of pruning jobs to be done when i get time ..Seems all my new customers have a complaint about there old mowerman not doing the job properly... Must be heat stroke i guess :i dunno:

Bgs
25-01-2009, 08:24 AM
It has been really dry here as well last week a few of my fortnightly jobs that I turned up to were not worth doing brown crunchy grass and a couple of calls telling me to hold off for a week it has let me catch up from taking three weeks holiday :russ:

We had some rain on Friday and its amazing to watch the brown grass turn green overnight, here we go again :Rain:

geejay
25-01-2009, 10:12 AM
dry as here in melbourne ne,water tanks will have to be toped up by carrier,not looking good,still busy on add ons,thankfully,diversafaction the key to surival here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Stripes
25-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Been very hot and dry here until a storm a few nights back that gave us about 30mm, but we've since had two 40C days since then on top of a strong southerly last night so its all dried out again. A lot of my jobs are'nt worth cutting, its just brown grass where the clients dont water. Hopefully we get some showers tomorrow to at least get a bit of growth happening!

BLACK BEAR
28-01-2009, 10:20 PM
at least it is grass where you are from, mine is all weeds at the best of time :laughing: , dandelions and paspallum is wat i cut this time of year :wave-hi:

simo
22-08-2009, 03:01 PM
The grass here has gone from mud 4weeks ago didn`t want another drop of rain, Now it`s very dry and dusty there is just no in between these days..

redbackmowing
23-08-2009, 09:13 PM
well tomorrow to hit 33 degrees. will be a winter record for Brissie. no rain in sight & grass is going brown real quite. bring on those summer storms.

Bgs
24-08-2009, 06:54 AM
well tomorrow to hit 33 degrees. will be a winter record for Brissie. no rain in sight & grass is going brown real quite. bring on those summer storms.

Your not wrong redback hardly any grass growth in the last 4 weeks it was like a summer day yesterday with out the storm in the afternoon, a little rain now would be nice.

abncraig
25-08-2009, 01:40 AM
I find the best way to get a client to go to fortnightly mows is charge extra for the three weekly or if already getting a good rate drop $5 off for the fortnightly, work it so it suits you best.

lawngreen
03-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Rain, at last, here in Sydney! Time to do the invoices!

geoff
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
well in melbourne we are getting back normal rain fall figures , august was nearly normal so maybe we are going to get a tradtional spring , something i havent seen for over 10 years, looks like sept is going to be a wet one so to mow green lush grass is going to be something new for the beginners , even us oldies will have to crack up the old bones :laughing: cant wait>>

geoff
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
if the grass goes off early do you get any revivals during the summer period or do you get what we get down here ...dust on dust on dust :laughing:

Stripes
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Long overdue and they are saying it will hang around tomorrow too! It will kick everything into action and get the lawns going. Once people see what a difference a bit of rain makes, they might want to get an irrigation system put in ;)

redbackmowing
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Brissie Friday - An early shower or two. Late thundery rain developing.

Saturday - Rain clearing early, afternoon shower

YIPEEEEEE!!!! about time.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
well in melbourne we are getting back normal rain fall figures , august was nearly normal so maybe we are going to get a tradtional spring , something i havent seen for over 10 years, looks like sept is going to be a wet one so to mow green lush grass is going to be something new for the beginners , even us oldies will have to crack up the old bones :laughing: cant wait>>

Don't know about something new geoff. I've got a couple of customers that have recycled water, there lawns are green and lush all year round. And yes I know what you mean,they are beautiful to mow. Wish they were all like that. :wave-hi:

Bgs
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Brissie Friday - An early shower or two. Late thundery rain developing.

Saturday - Rain clearing early, afternoon shower

YIPEEEEEE!!!! about time.

Yippee indeed we need a kick start we didn't get much rain here on Monday still very dry.

lawngreen
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Sun's out, back to work!

redbackmowing
05-09-2009, 06:21 AM
woke up this morning of rain hitting the roof. It might be good enough to give us Brisbanites a kick along. :Rain: :Rain:

bks07
05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
10mm in the redlands redback and more planned for monday night and tuesday

simo
06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Had 5 mm here might settle the dust for a day or 2..

Redeye
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Its raining as I "speak"......hooray! :Rain:

geoff
07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
starting to get a kick start down in melbourne , even having some customers requesting two weekly . little bits of rain in soutnern burbs , would love days of soaking rain as down 50mm soil is dry ...doing heaps of wetter soil to get what water we can down under

lawngreen
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
starting to get a kick start down in melbourne , even having some customers requesting two weekly . little bits of rain in soutnern burbs , would love days of soaking rain as down 50mm soil is dry ...doing heaps of wetter soil to get what water we can down under

Send some rain to Sydney, need moisture to activate fertiliser!

Mrs HMS
07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Send some rain to Sydney, need moisture to activate fertiliser!

Gawd what little we're getting we can't spare, otherwise we'd happily share.

I spent the weekend in our own garden - pulling out everything that died during the summer. Half my lawn died off and has sadly been replaced with bare soil and healthy weeds. Looks like it's the backhoe and start again for me to sink my teeth into when I'm home with the kids during the school holidays. So much for painting the inside of the house (awww - pity - I hate painting).

Too many jobs around the house, not enough time...story of my life

Elitemow
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Joanne ..I hate painting...when ya finished you can come and paint mine too thanks.....hehe
As for the rain...the grass has started to kick off here and we got some good rain this morning over this way so hopefully that keeps things going for a while......Im not complaining....BUT...dont ya hate cutting wet grass...a day ot so and I'll have some lovely Black soup in the trailer,,
Spring has Sprung..... :Rain: :Rain:
Cheers
Mark

redbackmowing
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
i'm with you there-i hate painting. i rather watch grass grow! :laughing:

simo
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I think i broke the old ute`s back today the leaf springs are flat , I must have cut close to a ton of clippings ..The longest wettest greenest grass i`ve seen in ages..

63impala
08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Must have been using a rover to pick up wet grass........

simo
02-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Our grass is brass :(
Is it greener on the other side ??

DavidS
22-12-2012, 05:00 AM
What grass, I am only mowing clients that actually water their lawns. So I am taking a week off over Xmas and few days over New Year too. Even with the forecast rain here on Xmas day it will need to be 30mm to make any difference otherwise I will be doing a irrigation install and a few more hedges that I have booked in.

simo
15-08-2013, 05:49 PM
The phones ringing hot done more quotes in the last two weeks than I have all year ..Bring it on :bike: