PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing Contractor New Guy Saying Hello

dubrat
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi all

My name is Adrian i am from Brisbane and i am looking to join your industry. I have just become a member of ILMCOA and am looking forward to receiving my welcome package and info.

I background is in landscape construction for the last 4 years i have been a estimator for a large Commercial Construction company.

I love this forum and hope to learn a lot from its many contributors.

If i ask some silly questions in the next few months bear with me. i will endevour to use the search function before asking questions.

TOO EASY YARD CARE
01-10-2008, 05:44 PM
welcome

the only silly question is the one you dont ask..... :i dunno:

ask away better to ask a silly question then to go out and buy somthing thats not gonna last in the long run......

spend less make more

63impala
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Another Queenslander Good to see and welcome.

mowjoman
01-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Welcome Dubrat :wave-hi:
Hope it all goes swimmingly for you...and yes, great to see another queenslander here.

simo
01-10-2008, 07:57 PM
G`day Dubrat enjoy :wave-hi:

tree beard
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Congrats on your decision and welcome!

Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people! the more customers you deal with...well you will get my drift! :laughing: :laughing:

The guys and advice on this forum can save you a fortune and steer you in the right direction, :wave-hi:

Welcome to being a newby, your not alone. :i dunno:

lifestyle
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Welcome, from the resident 2 headed Tasmanian ;)

tree beard
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Oh My GOD!

I just thought it was an urban legend!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :) :frightene :) :)

geejay
01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
welcome china from the african,fast track is the key,forum is brillant,bit of bullkaka here and there but good,do'nt support the cheetas as admin will delete you,and be nice to the precious ones,the darlings....fd,give them heaps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

look fwd to your questions and expirances

best of luck

glassngrass
02-10-2008, 06:33 AM

The 2 headed Tasmanian - I thought they ALL had two heads? :laughing:

lifestyle
02-10-2008, 06:56 AM
The 2 headed Tasmanian - I thought they ALL had two heads? :laughing:

Yeah, i've heard that... but i'm the only one i've seen on the forum ;) :p

geejay
02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, i've heard that... but i'm the only one i've seen on the forum ;) :p

you have a advantage,two heads are better than one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dubrat
02-10-2008, 07:49 AM
cheers for the welcomes guys

i cant wait to get started. i have already picked up to large on-going mowing jobs from the construction company i work for which is good now i need to work out how to complete with them haha

BLACK BEAR
02-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Just keep doing that way then you wont have any problems. Getting the work for many guys is the hard part, if you have it you can always get help if you need to until you feel you are comfortable with the work

dubrat
13-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Update No. 1

With the world economy what it is today the banks have tightened up on new business Loans and it doesn't seem like i will get approved for my finance for the ride on with out having been trading for 2 or more years. So i am taking the leap and starting small with the view to move into the larger mows down the track.
i will still mow the 2 large contacts i already have with a hire rideon from Kennards.

I was bored on sunday afternoon so i thought i would do some door to door prospecting in my street and to my amazment in the 56 houses i spoke to i picked up 19 mows and i live in a new housing delevopement on the southside of brisbane with a mix of small lot and normal lot housing the largest block size being 800m2 smallest being 350m2

the minimum i quoted was $25 for a yard that would take 10 min max and a large yard (the house next door) i qouted $55 and won.

i am amazed at how easy these jobs were won.

I also picked up the chance to Quote on 2 landscaping jobs in the street adjacent to mine which would be great to win.

It looks like i will have a very busy couple of weekends ahead

Also i recieved my Fast TracK To Success and i must say that it has been very helpful to getting on my way to starting my own business

Thank you

Bgs
13-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Dubrat,

That response rate from the door to door is phenomenal, this time of year and with all the rain and I would say you will get a few regulars and their all in your street :russ: your well on your way

well done

dubrat
13-10-2008, 08:47 AM
We have had a good burst of growth in the last 3 weeks.

i took a pretty casual approach to the prospecting. i took a letter box drop pamphlet i did up that day and a dairy.

I introduced myself and gave a brief description of what i was offering and said "What if i could mow your yard for this price" If the answer was I would have you do it. i booked a time for this weekend coming and the Job was mine.

i am very happy with the way it went there is nothing better than getting infront of people and being able to offer what you do face to face.

63impala
13-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Remember don't low ball under cut other contractors.

dubrat
13-10-2008, 09:42 AM
i don't think i was low balling at all as 80% of them would take less than 20min and none of them have been previously quoted or cut by other contractors.

If i was please let me know

mowjoman
13-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Well done Dubrat.
I dont think you were low balling at all. You saw the job and quoted what you thought it was worth. Sometimes what you think it's worth is less or more than the next bloke.
The real bottom feeders approach your customer after you leave, find out what you do it for and undercut your price...maggots!!!
Keep up the good work :wave-hi:

63impala
13-10-2008, 10:57 AM
True That.

Well done Dubrat.
I dont think you were low balling at all. You saw the job and quoted what you thought it was worth. Sometimes what you think it's worth is less or more than the next bloke.
The real bottom feeders approach your customer after you leave, find out what you do it for and undercut your price...maggots!!!
Keep up the good work :wave-hi:

simo
13-10-2008, 05:21 PM
WOW 19 lawns in one street in one days door knocking ,Great work dubrat...You will soon have the whole street...