PDA

View Full Version : buying jims mowing??

Johnny B. Goode
17-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Ok before you all yell at me i wanna ask a question :rolleyes:
My cousin and me are looking at a Jims mowing round in sydney a guy has for sale.Its all his jims custamers he is keeimg his cash customers.He charges a minimum 40 + gst for a lawn amd has a good customer base.
Ok what are the drawbacks of the franchise system how much do we hafta pay em per month for advertisinf and other stuff.
Is it a good thing as ive got a little experience but need something to pay my wages if i leave my current job.
any ideas thankyou.
Johnny B. Goode :ebony:

Easycareacres
17-07-2004, 03:14 PM
All as I can say myself is build your own run, forget the franchise stuff unless got money to spare.

pbm
17-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Stay away from Jim...he'll bleed you dry.Don't forget you will be paying him commissions and fees as long as you are in the business.

Pres Lawn
17-07-2004, 07:28 PM
If he is keeping his so called cash customers you can bet that he is selling the crap ones e.g. bad payers and the like :eek: Be very carefull really look into all the franshises and once you have done that give Dean or Ebony a call at ILMCA and have a talk to them ON 1800501662 AND DO NOT RUSH INTO IT !!! GOOD LUCK MATE.

matthew pitman
18-07-2004, 08:35 PM
i aslo heard now that if you wont out of Jim's you have to sell back to them at an agreed price , thats if you dont wont to use there name , dont how true but i heard it from a jims guy .

Stuie
18-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Ok say that this guy is offering his Jims round for $16000 which seems what they are selling for.You have to outlay that plus all your equipment.Now i know it is already established but look into whats the real deal.How many Jims are in that immediate area, from what i can see they tend to overlap areas and compete with each other.Is this guy selling and getting out of Jims or is he selling some customers for a good profit and building back up again.HE WILL BE ANOTHER COMPETITOR!
Also with the $16000 you are outlaying look at what it gets you!It will buy you your mowers whippers blowers etc and at the very least a box trailer and say you have $10000 left thats a hell of alot of advertising dollars in the kitty for you to build your business.

Who do you wanna work for ? Yourself or for some guys in an office in Sydneys north who F alot up and some other guy in Victoria????
Dont line their pockets on your hard work! :dean:

Stuart

snippy
18-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I think your all being a little harsh on poor old Jim ( I would never do that myself of course ;) )
Not everyone wants to start in the basement like the independents, having to learn the hard way, waiting for the phone to ring and thinking OMG why did I leave that comfortable job shelling peanuts on the factory floor?
I mean some people don't appreciate the challenge and the character building exercise of going without food and electricity waiting for work to pickup and those ads to start working.
Sure you pay a premium so Jim and his cronies can get a nice sun tan on the Gold Coast while you bust your arse out in the burbs but it all evens out in the end.
Whats the difference between giving Jim 20 grand of your hard earned and getting instant customers and stuffing it in the bank to keep you going for the next year while you build your own round up?
And don't forget Jims customers expect and are willing to get charged more for their services as opposed to the penny pinchers you'll find after advertising in the local rag so that should cover all those nasty service fees you'll get charged.
Working for a franchise though you will still not really achieve the feeling of being your own boss, at the end of the day you will still have to answer to "the man"
So in summation let it be said that its quite likely that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about anyway so please regard/disregard the above advice at your own peril!

Stuie
18-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey Snippy
I dont want to judge anyone on their choice of how they go about mowing etc.I was just putting up another point of view.You are right in the respect of there being no real difference in spending 20K with Jims (at least you have an instant start) or leaving it in the bank to dwindle away.
I will admit i am interested in Jims because most people i think , think this way.
I NEED MY LAWN MOWN WHO DO I CALL......... JIMS MOWING!!!
This is massive Name recognition.
Do Jims customers really expect to pay a premium for a Jims service.Is it better quality work or just a perception of quality?? :)
I am currently looking at franchises but maybe im just thinking the grass is greener so to speak! :laughing:
There is always that job in Peru ive got a firm offer for, but dont know if i wanna be paid in Pesos! :frightene
Stuart
Whos ideas and views are poorly formulated usually created at the end of a whippersnipper ( i think its called daydreaming! :i dunno: )

matthew pitman
19-07-2004, 04:57 PM
when i quote a job and people say to me that i was cheaper buy a few dollars then the other guy ( who was a jims are marks mowing guy ) i say thats because i dont have to tack on the cost to cover a francise fee, the cost they pay me is the cost to do the job right the first time not the cost to do the job pluse commision to the bigger boss,
a lot of poeple will call the franises first cause their name is well know and there adds a bigger but and the end of the day it doesnt mean we cant have our adds as big as theirs and our names well known, do what they do have big adds , tell people same day quotes and make it known that your price is a price for quaility not quanity.
just my opinion :)

Rod
19-07-2004, 07:20 PM
I agree, do not be too hard on poor old "Jim" (PhD.)

He has achieved a great deal and the best way to compete with him is to copy him.

Jim's represents stability (despite higher cost) when the "backyard boys" cant be bothered to turn up. Lets face it some independents are "backyard" boys as they name suggests. If the hat fits wear it.

Having said that if you want a "Jim's" run go for it. I admire there solidarity!!!

Ebony
19-07-2004, 08:20 PM
So did Hitler achieve a great deal and they also had perceived solidarity

Just be very very careful to anyone looking into franchising. It is not the upfront cost as much as it is THE FEES, the binding contracts etc etc etc.

If you had heard the stories from the current and ex franchisees and the amount that we have I doubt you would keep the same opinion.

Just be very very careful, read the contract. THINK about the contents and it's meaning.

...if you want a "Jim's" run go for it. Man I would love the ability to say this, It does not effect me in any way if someone joins a franchise. But I just can't do it, I have heard to many painful stories. Yet some of those stories come from people we once spoke to offering advice. It's not a nice feeling I can tell you that now!

Ebony (ExP)

P.S. Jims = he who used to mow lawns for how much? What? backyarders, undercutting. haha, sounds familiar

Ebony
19-07-2004, 08:37 PM
lol Admiral I just read your post again. I can asure you, I hear more negative comments from customers regarding franchisees then I do independents.

Ebony
(Independent and Proud of it, I build my future, not someone elses mansion)

Stuie
19-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey Eb
Theres an article in tomorrows (tuesday) Australian newspaper about franchising and one particular franchise in particular.Dont know who it relates to but will make interesting reading regardless.
STUART

Ebony
19-07-2004, 08:57 PM
lol Stuie, it always does. :p

Pres Lawn
19-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Well said Eb but no matter what, some people love the idea of a franshise system, Me for instance, I have been in the mowing game since I was 20 and have never bought a customer, but have sold pockets of customers from time to time and sold my first full round (140) customers because I wanted to change areas. My point.... independent is for me. Do what I want when I want! If I dont like a customer well p...off! The money I earn is mine and nobody else! Thats why Iam independent but I'll always say G'day to every in our game, we are all different so if you want to by Jims or VIP good luck to you, but if you want advise then dont ask me. :p

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Admiral you talk like a franchisee may be a franchisor . Jims doesnt offer stability you buy it . .Independent contractors that do it for a living arnt cowboys or back yarders they are very proffesional more so than franchisees . Back yarders are the ones that do it for extra income after work or to supplement a pension and i am all for people feeding there family any day of the week .There is a ton of work out there every day you can build a round in quick time .for a fraction of the cost of a franchise TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND AND 10 THOUSAND IN FEES FOR YOUR FIRST YEAR THERES A YEARS WAGES THERE FELLA .LOL . nOW THE FIRST GUY THAT STARTED THIS THREAD HERES SOME HOME GROWN ADVICE LEAVE THE FRANCHISE ALONE AND START YOUR OWN .Now stuie you told me a heart rending story of a friend of yours in a franchise how he got ripped of and now you say u want to join am i on drugs lol.

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 09:22 PM
WELL SOMEBODY JUST RECENTLY TOOK A FRANCHISES TO COURT IN NSW HE PAID 33 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO THE FRANCHISE, IN THE END THE COURT SAID TO THE FRANCHISOR YOU WILL PAY HIM BACK HIS MONIES ,THE FRANCHISOR OFFERED TO PAY 800 A MONTH THATS ALL THEY COULD AFFORD .THE COURT AGREED TO LET HIM PAY IT OFF BACK TO THE FRANCHISEE SEE HOW YOU CAN MAKE MONEY ITS SO EASY DONT BE A SUCKER .i TALKED TO ANOTHER GUY IN NSW HE HAD JOINED A FRANCHISE COMING DOWN FROM QLD TO NSW THEY ARE EXPANDING THE GUY HADNT RECIEVED ANY HELP OR EVEN ADVERTISING HE RANG ME AND ASKED HOW TO GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT DOESNT FIGURE PEOPLE IF YOU GO IN MAKE SURE YOU ASK HOW TO GET OUT. ;frosty;

Stuie
19-07-2004, 09:23 PM
.Now stuie you told me a heart rending story of a friend of yours in a franchise how he got ripped of and now you say u want to join am i on drugs lol

I kinda just looking around but then again im not that enthusiastic about franchising just looking at all available options.Once turned down a Bakers Delight franchise cause i had a real bad feeling about it.I was proved right the store is trading but not quite breaking even.Ah well it was only $240K at risk! :laughing:
I have no friends and yes i believe you are on drugs :laughing: Grass maybe Kikuyu?? :wave-hi:

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 10:00 PM
OK Dean Bartorelli decides to start a franchise i need 25 contractors this is the deal 25000.00 up front 6 thousand a year fees thats it . I will spend 25000 for a quarter page ad in yellow pages for one year i will also spend 50 ooo .oo dollars on 60 local papers for the whole year . well thats three guys money spent there 22 to go i will give you all 8000 dollars worth of equipment now thats another 4 guys money total 7 guys money call center two girls 500000o dollars theres another 2 guys =9 guys money gee im not even half way . i will give you work guarantee reconition and youwill earn as much money as you want .By the way i still have in my wallet 16 guys money = 400.000 Now just in case ive allocated fees to go to whatever comes in as extras phone etc coffee blah blah a forum which equals 25 guys by 6000.00 is 150.000.00 and each person will get a bonus of 5000.00 for getting a new franchise to start in that same year oh bugger it ill give you 9000 im feeling generous any takers please ring me immediatly for this fantastic opportunity . 1900501662 leave a deposit : :i dunno: :i dunno:

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Stuie you crack me up :who-knows

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 10:16 PM
You all know grey army proffesed to help the elderly to get jobs they basically did what we do ,now its a franchise ,to easy to start a franchise no real skill needed there . People have asked us a million times when are you going to turn it into a franchise like every body else eventually does , we say why would we money isnt everything .

Rod
20-07-2004, 07:02 AM
I think using Hitler in any analogy is this thread is simply not relevant and probably designed to stir people up. That is unless you think the Franchise owners have an agenda to gas or shoot dissenting customers or perhaps independents.

Dean, I am not a franchise owner/Franchisor or master Franchise holder. I am an independent like most. I have had the experience of owing a franchise, walking away and then going independent.

Some people do not feel comfortable going independent. Some like a little help and "shoulder to shoulder" guidance (which I more than understand this forum/association is more than competent to provide.)

As most were so quick to "can" the concept for whatever reason I simply want to add a little balance.

Would I buy a Jim's run NO!

Do I recommend starting up yourself and building a run YES!

Notwithstanding these recommendations and individual can still fail either way The only difference is that with a Franchise they may have some ability to recover some income through the Jim's Guarantee for whatever that is worth or through legal proceedings.

Don't you just love free speech and a healthy argument?

Ebony
20-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Admiral I am just chatting, not intending on stiring anyone up. I was not implying anything of the sort and pretty much everyone here knows it. Take what you will from my posts, I do not mind, I just tell it how I see it and I am straight up and truthful in what I say! ;) Sorry if you took offence there mate. :)

Ebony
Life is good and getting better!

Ebony
20-07-2004, 08:44 AM
lol, Admiral I was just thinking how it has been said that I tend to get on my high horse about things. Hey I am passionate about the business I am in, no arguments there. And I have heard and seen a lot that has just made my blood boil. I don't even like to think about some of the stories I have heard.

I do see a lot from up here on my high horse, and yea I have a tendency to speak my mind at times. And believe me, the concept of hearing another "horror story" does not appeal to me.

Ebony

Tonyr
20-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Well I don't have a high horse....but I do have a pretty big Toro, that count?? LOL!

I think in this biz some people would go for the franchise for the stability they promise, and the support etc. I originally looked at VIP and HANDY GARDENERS AT WORK in Toowoomba....then cooled my heels for a year then decided to keep the money and buy a Walker instead, not long after Ebony and Dean came into my picture, they have pretty much given me all of the support and advise, call service etc that any franchise could ever give.

I would not like to be locked into someone elses system, I like being free to do what I like when I like....but he who rides bloody big Toro's can! ha, ha, ha!

I will admit the Jims guys here do great work, and they work like slaves...

I prefer the more casual approach to life....as ya all know!

So...anyone heard of Handy Gardeners At Work?

I really liked this mob, just the month in brissy training and the bi weekly saturday meetings, the 6 day working week, and the aggressive attitude of them, but their outlook was more commercial contracts, landscaping etc which they provided assistance with.
Big on plant outs, would be a great business in Toowoomba!

YATES is another....very expensive, 35K off memory plus trailer and gear plus training in melbourne....this was one that was not appealing, the name in this case didn't make the guy who did buy it rich over night.

probably is doing well now, dunno.....

pbm
20-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Tony....funny thing, I was thinking just the other day what has happened to Yates Garden Service? Haven't seen them around for a while. Maybe they are but not in my area. One of my old customers whoo has since moved to WA used them to trim a hedge...he put a whopping big hole in the middle of it and charged her like a wounded bull. She called me in to fix it up which was an almost impossible task but I left it looking better than the so called qualified horticulturist from Yates did.
The same lady not learning from her mistake presumed I was so busy she didn't want to trouble me called in Jims to brune a hedge of Hebes.Guess who was called in to fix up the mess again.

Rod
20-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Eb,

I understand what you mean.

"Shalom"

:ebony:

Indyanswer
20-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Admiral take your stripes of your shoulder be a junior recruit again its a lot more fun

Rod
20-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Worked hard for those stripes. I am having more fun than you could ever imagine.

Indyanswer
20-07-2004, 09:23 PM
yes sure :ebony:

Indyanswer
20-07-2004, 09:27 PM
i wonder if mcdonalds has solardarity

Rod
21-07-2004, 01:22 PM
i wonder if McDonald's has solidarity

Solidarity (noun)

"A union of interests or purposes or sympathies among members of a group."

My point exactly. The members of the group to the exclusion no doubt of the Franchisor. Much like this "forum."

McDonald's, I doubt have solidarity: look at www.licenseenews.com/

The McDonald's system is close to collapse. In Brazil something like 200 legal actions from disgruntled Franchise owners

Anyway, I think we have flogged this one enough.

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I just tried to eat a new Mc Donalds lean meat burger, ya know the low fat new one they are advertising....YUCK!

Was crap! I should of taken a pic of the "thing" before I chucked it, thanks to them I'm hungry now...and only a little frail type of guy I need all of the nourishment I can get!

Actually I fail to see why their food is so popular, doesn't do nything for me, over sauced, under natural flavoured...kids love the pretty packaging though.

I think the kid who made my muck made it from 50ft, oh well, coke was good :)

Rod
21-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Popular because they are bland I was once told (more broadspectrum appeal.) They over market the product so that you actually by an "experience" versus the food. Classic is when kids ask parents to go to McDonald's then don't eat their food just to play in the playground.

"They have sold the sizzle and not the sausage."

One of the largest Franchise systems in the world. When they crash (and they will) it will send shock waves through Franchising in general globally.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 01:42 PM
lol, yea nothing nice about McDonalds Burgers. Actually my young brother (be about 12 yrs old i think) does not eat much take away, nearest McDonalds, Hungry Jacks or any commercial type of take away place is an hour drive lol. He used to LOVE going up to Mildura or coming down to Melbourne and getting some McDonalds... a real treat. Well, he was telling me on the phone the other day that he can't believe he ever used to like McDonalds haha, he has now tasted Hungry Jacks, and will only eat McDonalds if he really has to :laughing: You got to love kids!

Ebony
21-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Now that I read your reply Admiral, you got me thinking back to Media Studies, the teacher told us that Coke had a disgusting taste lol, it 's just that we are told it tastes good that it does. :rolleyes: Never have agreed with this tho lol

Can I ask that you stop attacking this forum without any apparent reason?

Rod
21-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Now that I read your reply Admiral, you got me thinking back to Media Studies, the teacher told us that Coke had a disgusting taste lol, it 's just that we are told it tastes good that it does. :rolleyes: Never have agreed with this tho lol

Can I ask that you stop attacking this forum without any apparent reason?

Attacking??? Can you be more specific, please. I thought we were having a go at both McDonalds and Jim's.

odin
21-07-2004, 01:54 PM
about 15 or 20 years ago ..they caught mcdonald useing kangaroo meat here in the usa .......thought you aussies would like to know that fact lol .. :laughing: :laughing:

Ebony
21-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I was about to edit my post and saw yours... so i will take the edit and post it here

As a participant in this forum I enjoy interacting with everyone. If you do no like what I personally have to say, there is an ignore button, please use it. I have no issues with you, I am just chatting! We cannot all agree at all times, and I am sure most people do not mind my participation in this forum or any of the other forums I participate in. Poor old easycare I am sure wanted to stangle me at one stage over on another forum, that's just the effect I have haha. So please stop attacking me and the forum, it's not necessary. We obviously do not see eye to eye. But this is the second time you have attacked this forum and I still see no reason.

My name is Ebony and I have an opinion and I'll happily share it on a forum ;) That is what forums are for, discussion, debate etc. etc. we are not all meant to see eye to eye

Rod
21-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I thought we were discussing Jim's and McDonald's (Franchises in general.)

I am not sure how we came to this. I am just speaking my mind as are you. It's not personal never was and never will be. Funny thing is I do not believe there is a clash of personalties and I am sorry that you see it that way.

As for attacking the Forum I apologize for the perception as it is certainly not my intention to convey this. I find the forum interesting, informative and at times very entertaining.

Sorry if I am an arrogant "son of a *****."

Can we just move on from this apparent "misunderstanding."

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Wow! What did I miss??

Life on this forum just rushes by me!

Well I'm not gunna get involved in that but about my YUCK dinner, was an experience alright, bloody bad one, came in a new pretty little box though!
(maybe I was supposed to eat the BOX? :confused: )

About kids liking the toys over the "food", funny you say that, my little dears love maccas, the toys that is....they rarely ever eat the stuff...so we try to rarely buy it.

But you are right, the marketing concept can sell anything if it packaged nice enough, coke though, I love coke, but when you mix it with scotch it, coke, later makes me very ill.... :sad:

We live in an American world....we are suckers for the hype.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I am moved on :) I am sorry, I must have misunderstood what you said. I took your reference to this "Forum" in a negative way.

Yea the toys are a good seller, the other of my younger siblings has McDonalds every friday, it has to be a happy meal OISH

Rod
21-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Glad to hear it,

If this were prime time TV the ratings would be huge?

Apart from that it the quiet time of the year and so many of us are here (on the forum) when we should be at work (if we could find some.) So I guess we are all a little stressed from time to time?

Beats taking it out on family or kicking the dog?

Ebony
21-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Oh no Admiral, you haven't seen me in full flight haha, we have had some good ones on the american forums lol. I think even Tony and I got in an argument once, hard to believe I know, with how much he adores us southerners :laughing:

Now I gotta get back to work, so much to do, so little time :(

Rod
21-07-2004, 02:35 PM
I am on the US forum too. Seen it first hand, too big!

Tonyr got in a fight? Wow.

I have seen him get in between a few round here just to calm people down (insurance thread.)

Ebony
21-07-2004, 02:37 PM
haha, you better believe it, Tony can throw some punches when he wants to! I think he has just learnt the lessons of forumhood, I am still in training myself.

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 02:49 PM
You rang...?

Tony...nah, ya silly southerner, Tony no get into ''situations'', too old, too smart for that, leave that biffin' to you younger guys!

I remember you and Russ squaring up once briefly, but who cares, great mates now!

We all are!

We have had misunderstandings, but you know I'm always right, cause I'm the bloke, and we all know boys are smarter than grrrrls, we have discussed this in detail and I thought I remember you finally agreeing? sure ya did...

I remember testing your patience right at the start, you kept your calm well.

I can't remember any actual biff ups with ya though, mis understandings like at the start of this forum about insurance I think was a bump, something else happened after that...without searching I can't remember but that was a bump, not a biff.

Ebony, still reckon ya just an old southern grouch, go get yourself a nice manly Toro and park it in your office, then you be at peace with the world! ha, ha, ha! (just kidding!)

Anyway with the risk of sounding like a wacka, all the feuding I see on these forums is BS really, we are all just trying to survive this tough industry, we all go to forums for mutual friendship, advice etc, tiffs, biffs will always happen, but stuff said on forums should not get personal, yes it happens, but it shouldn't, we are all here to have fun and even learn. We all take things too seriously sometimes.

Funny thing is....you pair appear to be having an 'interesting' start, wouldn't surprise me if you's even end up mates, seen it happen often!

Admiral: mate, gotta remember to be gentle with southern folk...they aren't like us ya know, must be the cold air! LOL!
(just kidding everyone, geesh!)

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 03:12 PM
haha, you better believe it, Tony can throw some punches when he wants to! I think he has just learnt the lessons of forumhood, I am still in training myself.

Tony is a passivest!

I will admit to getting a little firey on L.S from time to time...most common is Scrub threads, arguing about things that effect the industry from MY eyes then have dickheads just starting or teenagers attacking me about stuff they haven't even been through yet. A Lot of Very self opinionated, arrogant SOB's on that forum, (appart from me) , the attitude is laughable, sooo many think they are soooo tough hiding behind a computer they humor me!

Different worlds....

We can't all be best mates, but we all can do what we can to get along, remember we are Aussies, hasn't been breed out of us yet!

This is a great forum with great people, want to see the opposite in many ways, lawnsite.com great forum, more idiots and wannabes, boofhead teens, plain nasty aggressive types, and others that just want to ruin it for others than you could imagine from a trade forum . This is where this forum shines!

To see how great this forum is and it's healthy growth, compare it to the forum I mentioned above, notice all the un necessary attitude?

Yeah, I'm bias!

PS, Lawnsite is great, my point is the rude aggressive constant bickering that is allowed, and how we Aussies generally get along, those guys don't try as hard....that is all I'm saying.

A lot of the Americans there are great, don't get me wrong, I'm compring forum maturity, not countries, I'm comparing moderators too.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 03:25 PM
haha, it's all good. It seems those I have argued with on forums I have become good mates with. It's usually simple misunderstanding which you can laugh about later. :)

mick
21-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Its true! Sometimes(always for me) we just right down what we think at the time. Mostly it comes out right but occasionally, it turns into a debacle! This happens and the main thing is to nip it in the bud as soon as possible. Even I've :ebony: had little run ins with people on the other site but we're cool now.
lawnsite is a great forum, its how some of us got to know each other but they have a huge membership with something like 15000 + people, and if you get that many people together, there will be problems!

On another note! If we keep talking about Jim's etc the way we are, they wont join in. I'd like to keep complaints to specific problems with who or what ever. I'd like to see some Jim's and other guys come in and have a say! We're all in the industry and for the most part doing it because we have to pay the bills, so could we leave these guys alone and welcome them in, if they come. The more the merrier!

Now, don't attack me for that OK! hehe :laughing: Just an observation is all!

Rod
21-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I agree.

I am sure many of the Jim's guys pass through as guests or even as themselves within the registered members list.

I have had equipment lent to me by friends (Jim's) and vice versa. Many of them I have found quite friendly (the occasional snob.)

It is sometimes very "Australian" to tear the big guy down.

As they say and take this with a grain of salt "keep your friends close and keep your enemies even closer." By that I do not mean I hate them (not at all) but we all love to talk and this is a source of good information, advice and sometimes even leads if worked politely. Its another form of networking.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't think anything was meant against Franchisees, it is more the system that I personally was discussing and most others were also. If we can't discuss the franchise concept openly then if one does not agree with it, or the fact that people have to pay a fortune to get some help, then I am wondering why we have a forum at all.

Jims used to have a small forum, they turned it private.

We speak to Jims contractors everyday, we don't agree with the franchise concept but we have never refuse a franchisee assistance when asked. We helped a gent by the name of Steve, a Jim's mowing franchisee, he needed some work done and some of our members were happy to help. We ended up lending him a hand on two occassions.

People know our opinion of franchising, but we speak to franchisees daily. We can't help them with insurance, but that is due to certain clauses.

Other people know my opinion on certain aspects of certain associations, yet I am good mates with some commitee members and some of our members are also in associations.

Oh and don't worry, franchisees do not always have the highest opinions of independents lol. Don't put yourself above them, because really you're not, I am sure they can handle themselves without us charitable independents giving them any special treatment.

I don't mind either way, I just get annoyed on the topic of franchise systems anyway. I am all for the contractors, it's the people with their hands in their pockets that I don't agree with.

So, lets not tak badly of anything. No more talking down any products cause users of those products might take offence. Come on guys be fair and give people a little credit.

Either way, i am not seeing anything against FRANCHISEES, I am seeing a discussion on a system...

Ebony

Stuie
21-07-2004, 08:27 PM
>>I have had equipment lent to me by friends (Jim's) and vice >>versa. Many of them I have found quite friendly (the occasional >>snob.)

.Ive got a guy that lives down the street from me we do the same areas see each other probably every day....Ive given up waving................
Then there is the VIP guy who does two houses in our street and the first time he came to do the house opposite i was working on the ute out the front.He came over introduced himself and apologised for "taking" the work in MY area.I said not my area i only live here! :laughing: He did the job came back and we talked about business for the next hour cause it turned out it was his first week in business.Guess who always waves and says gday at the tip and if he is driving past a job of ours he stops for a chat.
Then there is the Jims guy who got one of our leaflets rang us up for coffee.He has given us one of our best weekly contracts.helped us out on jobs,lent tools,freely given advice came to our wedding etc etc etc
Look past who the guy/girl are aligned with ,help them out, you are going to need their help one day.
STUART :aus-flag:

Rod
21-07-2004, 08:36 PM
My biggest worry is someone filling my Toro's fuel tank with sugar as it sits on the trailer all night in the Driveway in the "burbs."

I have always made a point of being courteous to all contractors I meet and see on the road. I think I can sleep well most nights, although, somebody did toss one of our Stihl straight shafts into our neighbors pool. That taught me to lock all three down not just two.

Eb, your right almost all franchise systems are now quite flawed. Once upon a time the Franchisee did well and the Franchisor came along for the ride. Now days the Franchisor gets his money first and profits from the Blood sweat and tears of the Franchisee.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 08:38 PM
We Had a good chat with Dave from VIP some years back... nice guy actually :)

I agree with Stuie, no worries in the world.

Met a Jims guy with real good taste once too, he just loved my dog haha - Not like a certain someone here :rolleyes: there is no accounting for taste eh tony :laughing:

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks Stuart!

Now that's what it is about, wish I had a story as good, but turning competitors into mates etc can only be good. We all do our best can only be positive, professionally and socially.

We don't have to hate competitors just because they are competitors, sounds like those guys were very straight forward good blokes, half the pricks around here won't return waves...a lot do though...a lot here would nick the gear out of your trailer 1st chance LOL!

great post mate!

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Ebony....Dog?

What dog??

You don't have a Dog! :mad:

Oh...that "Thing" you showed once...ha, ha, a science creation on a rat gone wrong, that a dog?

Science name is Dog_?

Eb, sorry mate...I'm not convinced that hairy weird looking mushka named thing is a dog, Bart wouldn't even eat the thing!!

While I seemingly lack good taste, least I have a real dog LOL!

that was fun! ;frosty;

Rod
21-07-2004, 08:48 PM
On the subject of Jim's, they approached me last year offering their call center services at a cost. They reckon they answer phones for several Businesses, thought it would of been a conflict of interest so I declined.

Anybody else been approached.

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 08:53 PM
No, but I have use indmowing's call service when I started our for quite some time and it was great! Not one complaint! Recommend it to anyone!

Only feedback was the old chick answering the phones was an old southern sounding grouch, clients reported it was an "experience".

ONLY JOKING!!! Call centre is/was great!

Ebony
21-07-2004, 08:55 PM
hahaha, you are terrible, "an experience" lol lol :laughing:

Tonyr
21-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Like Mick said so well before, we should invite the franchises in, they are doing what we are, same profession, same struggles and issues, I personally have nothing against the franchise opperators, just another slave like me, only my mower is ***ier than theirs! lol.

More the merrier I reckon, and Stuart's post earlier proves they aren't our enemy...

pbm
21-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I have some great allies in this busines who are Jims contractors. I have nothing against them just Dr Jim Penman who rips them off. ;frosty;
Who raised the profile of this industry?....Jim!!! 14 years ago I was mowing lawns for little old ladies and old guys with bad backs...now people from all walks of life old and young are hiring us to mow their lawns and I believe Jims has had a big hand in this. :wave-hi:

odin
22-07-2004, 03:50 AM
here in THE UNITED STATES OR at least here in my states franchises for mowing are almost non exsistant........but my opinion they certainly should be invited to the forum ....like was said ..they have the same stuggles maybe more so because of the fees they pay...i to knew a jim's guy in new zealand ...he aint in mowing no more and turned against jim's and said some unflattering things about them in the end....but missing out on a man of his caliber because he was a franchise guy would be a loss to this forum.

snippy
22-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Jims and other franchises have probably helped a lot of people into the rewarding occupation of having their own business ( sort of ) who would otherwise have been too scared to do it on their own and would still be stuck in the peanut factory and a miserable 9 to 5 existence, on the flipside if you take on a franchise as opposed to being independent and you're a failure in your own business you can just blame Jim and take the heat off your self and your own shortcomings. ;)

Topcat
28-07-2004, 02:55 PM
:i dunno: Fact

This is your choice..

If you wanna pay about $420 a month is payed by the 15th o/month otherwise you pay a late fee $40.00 this month will be $460.00.

Then you pay for each lead a whooping $7.23 each, say you take 35 jobs in a month now add $253.05 to your monthly fee

$713.05 for your 1st month, but don't panic as you get good regulars your lead charge will go down.

when you take no work you will still still pay$460.00 and the bloke selling you his round just askes his clients to let you mow- 45 days from the date you sign your jims contract, he gets paid then the client can call you and cancel, they loose nothing BUT, you have to take on new work at about $7 bucks a pop.

Your call............Try it at your pace, build your own client base

Easy- Just give good, honest, service....poeple talk!

Good Luck
Topcat

You have to enjoy what you do!
I love it !

Indyanswer
28-07-2004, 03:03 PM
pbm thats progress has nothin to do with jim times change people are lazy ;frosty;

Topcat
28-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Just one thing regarding the income guarantee- your payment for purchasing the franchise of $14,600.00 includes approx 12 weeks income (turnover) guarantee of $800.00 per week.

Now if say you can't turn over $800, jim's will send you out to offer people a free mow- FREE means you will never ever ever see Money (EVER) after about 12 weeks you may have that amount deducted from you fees in the future- do the sums..

I enjoyed being with Jim's- but they just got to $$$hungry- they forgot like independents they are only independents under a Brand- cos I see a prouder bunch of people with I.L.M.C.A- the sooner we have a sticker, the taller we will stand!

I feel real good with this group- but I wanna come out he he

snippy
29-07-2004, 02:19 PM
pbm thats progress has nothin to do with jim times change people are lazy ;frosty;

And god bless those lazy bastards, and all those wives who kick their bum husbands out on the street, and the pensioners too.

jimsoak
05-08-2004, 02:28 PM
topcat, the lead fee is $ 6.50, but do the math 35 jobs at an average of $ 50 ea, equates to an extra $ 1750 per month ( generally quick clean ups ) plus regulars that join up, the franchisee is way in front. ;frosty;

Topcat
05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Jimsoak,

Welcome you must want to succeed- you joined the wright team here- but if it's wet no use playing on here, anyway who's your master.. :Rain: :Rain: :Rain:

Pres Lawn
05-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Welcome Jimsoak, I dont think we want be a Jims basher but we are all different, independent or not . Some Jims mowing people do well and some do not, fact of life. Why? So many different answers, but I will be always be independent. I will not get into to a slanging match with the franshisees, I want to welcome you to this great Aussie forum. Maybe we can learn a bit more into the big wide world of Jims. As for fees I like to keep the money in my pocket and sought out my own advertising system, to me Jims will send their new contractors all over the place to build up their round as they did a friend of mine. Problem was the main area of his buisness was very slow to take off and he could not consolidate it, which ment overheads were high and far to much travelling time. :sad:

Topcat
05-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Info- when I started with jims in 1999, they had no work coming through the pager at all during the week, when I called melb head office this is what I was told Quote-" here is a job for you to remove ivy from a house in south yarra". I am in Mill Park, well "We can't help you if you don't want to take our jobs" to cut it short I went down and it was a waste of time.

So, I was upset, i rang the office asked to be taken off the pager- and became a independant franchisee, all I used was the name on the trailor, my work is above average and then my clients friends always asked "who does your garden" then my client would reffer me.

For the record- I took 127 paged jobs from the office & 13 Xmas tree childrens hospital charity pick ups in just under 5 years, and for that I only had to pay the man less than $80 Buck a month...

I love my job :)

jimsoak
05-08-2004, 07:40 PM
I'll try again to post a reply, if my original went through sorry, I'm not bashing independants , just trying to give the originator of the thread some unbiased advice , there seems to be some ill informed advice going on here. I' ve met Jim Penman ,he is a good bloke , he may have some greedy franchisors under his banner . I will back it in more people approach me off the street than they do independants because of my trailer. I've been with Jims for 5 years and seen independants in my area come and go , they are no threat to me and regularly refer me work because they dont have the equipment or time to do jobs, or with commercial work cant comply with OH&S requirements. As with any workplace their are whingers , blokes , who cant make a dollar because they see conspiracy behind every corner. I left the corporate world because of these people the fact is ,if you can make a living and enjoy yourself .GREAT, good luck to you all and hope it stops raining so I dont have to work on the weekend

snippy
05-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I read Jims book online at his website when I was researching my own venture, it was very interesting and helped me understand the the gardening biz a little better, so thanks Jim if ya reading this, good onya :aus-flag:

Rod
05-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Good on ya JIMSOAK. I am an independent and I admire your stand.

mick
05-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Welcome in Jimsoak!
Hope you hang around a while and share some ideas and tips etc. :aus-flag:

Pres Lawn
13-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Where did Jimsoak go, did we scare him off ?

Tonyr
13-08-2004, 04:55 PM
yeah ya big bad meanies!! :boxer:

Topcat
26-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Snippy
I dont want to judge anyone on their choice of how they go about mowing etc.I was just putting up another point of view.You are right in the respect of there being no real difference in spending 20K with Jims (at least you have an instant start) or leaving it in the bank to dwindle away.
I will admit i am interested in Jims because most people i think , think this way.
I NEED MY LAWN MOWN WHO DO I CALL......... JIMS MOWING!!!
This is massive Name recognition.
Do Jims customers really expect to pay a premium for a Jims service.Is it better quality work or just a perception of quality?? :)
I am currently looking at franchises but maybe im just thinking the grass is greener so to speak! :laughing:
There is always that job in Peru ive got a firm offer for, but dont know if i wanna be paid in Pesos! :frightene
Stuart
Whos ideas and views are poorly formulated usually created at the end of a whippersnipper ( i think its called daydreaming! :i dunno: )

Some Clients don't know they are paying a premium to J***, but they are happy to have a body they can complain to if their J*** do do as they are told.....

Topcat
26-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Where did Jimsoak go, did we scare him off ?
He couldn't handle it with the big boys..................mummy put him back outside, till he pay's his fee's...LOL ;frosty;

administrator
06-03-2007, 11:14 PM
nothin much changed

wombat
07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
the thing is Jims has done a great job in brainwashing customers into thinking they will get some far superior results by using Jims mowing. I've got jobs after some of these great results :confused: ...I asked the customer why did u think it would be better than an independant guy....the answer is always the same....because it's Jims-they must be good! :i dunno:
Gotta give him 10/10 for the con job. :(

administrator
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Same as Collingwood lol

Theres a Verse in the bible people would rather believe the lie than the truth .

Go Eddie Go

As to any franchise they will tickle your ears ;dealers;

To be fair to any franchise brainwashing and con job equals Marketing.