PDA

View Full Version : Scott Bonnar

Pain in the Grass
17-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey guys...I'm toying with the idea of buying a second hand Scott Bonnar 17" reel mower which has recently been fitted with a new Honda GSV190 motor..Has had new clutch and blades sharpened.

The seller is asking around the $675.00 mark....It looks pretty mint.

I was thinking it might be useful on some clients lawns, but do you guys think A. it would be of benefit to me as a contractor and B. Does that sound like a good price for that type of mower.???

Don't really want to spend money on something that may not be all that useful to me...any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Pres Lawn
17-07-2004, 07:34 PM
17 inch is a bit small for a contractor I would be looking for 20 inch min
and a little expensive for me. Why do you want one ? have you lots of couch lawns in your round? If you are looking to make extra income their are better ways.

Pain in the Grass
18-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah you're probably right....better off getting another Honda Buffalo instead.....looking at the 21" model to replace my 19"

cheers

Rick

Pres Lawn
18-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Good idea, Have you got a hedge trimmer ? I make good $ from it.

Pain in the Grass
18-07-2004, 12:02 PM
No I havent yet, but thinking about getting one.....I only started out last season so have only had a few occasions when clients wanted hedging done but on those occasions I hired one..Dumb move I know but I didnt want to look like I wasnt able to handle varying forms of work.....Any tips on buying a hedge trimmer....I have been looking at Stihl and the new Honda four strokes.

Cheers
Rick

pbm
18-07-2004, 12:42 PM
I would buy a Shindaiwa.

Alex Callaghan
18-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Have a look at the Shindaiwa M230 Multi tool.

Very versitile with all the attachments. 0-90 degrees adjustable on the hedger attachment. Saves a bit of space on the ute.

Great asset.

screwdriverphillips
18-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey guys...I'm toying with the idea of buying a second hand Scott Bonnar 17" reel mower which has recently been fitted with a new Honda GSV190 motor..Has had new clutch and blades sharpened.

The seller is asking around the $675.00 mark....It looks pretty mint.

I was thinking it might be useful on some clients lawns, but do you guys think A. it would be of benefit to me as a contractor and B. Does that sound like a good price for that type of mower.???

Don't really want to spend money on something that may not be all that useful to me...any feedback would be appreciated. :)
I ve got 1 26inch Alroh and 1 26inch Mey I wouldnt go any smaller and as for Scott Bonner grat for domestic use but they dont stand up commercially.The only time a contracter may carry a smaller reel will be if they cant fit thru a gate but the 26 inch normally can.Go bigger and it will pay for itself but in the West Reel Mowing is standard.
Regards Screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing
Melros Mandurah :wave-hi:

Pain in the Grass
18-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys for the info on hedgers etc.

Why is it that reel mowers seem to be the norm in W.A but here in NSW they dont seem to be used much at all.....The grass, lawns, :i dunno:
customers etc cant be that vastly different.....

Stuie
18-07-2004, 08:57 PM
No I havent yet, but thinking about getting one.....I only started out last season so have only had a few occasions when clients wanted hedging done but on those occasions I hired one..Dumb move I know but I didnt want to look like I wasnt able to handle varying forms of work.....Any tips on buying a hedge trimmer....I have been looking at Stihl and the new Honda four strokes.

Cheers
Rick
Hey Rick
Ive got a whipper with a Tanaka hedgetrimmer attachment same as on Ebonys site, Im in "The Shire" :) so if you wanna have a go one day to see if youd like one give me a yell.
Stuart :aus-flag:

Pain in the Grass
19-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Cheers Stuie,,

I'll probably take you up on that one....Thanks :)

Ebony
21-07-2004, 05:55 PM
haha Rick ask a mower shop why, I just love the responses lol.

I could give you a thousand different reasons (none of them legit reasons), but I have been there done that, no use going there again.

Here's a thought, those of you with MEY mowers etc. how long you had your mower? Do you replace them every year, do you have high running costs, many spare parts? There would be a potential reason for why the shops don't encourage them :cool:

Brad had a cylinder mower, came to melbourne and sold it, I think he gave a reason on here that the yards were to small, small gates etc.

All to often customers in the eastern states just want their grass cut, go have a look on the realestate websites, under perth, you'll see some really nice lawns.

There is no Legit reason IMO why we do not commonly use reel mowers other then different culture.

Easycareacres
21-07-2004, 06:14 PM
To use a cylinder type mower you would need to have a very high profile mowing surface.
This type of mower can twist {buckle} if hit a 20 cent piece. They do infact cut better than any other blade system out. Just expensive to repair when damage to blades.
I love using them for my personal use, but for customers haa well the'd need to have me 2-3 times per week as cylinder mowers need to cut more reqular than rotary ones.

Ebony
21-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Popular Cylinder mowers in Perth are MEY and Dwyer & Felton. I am sure they would love to get in on the Eastern market. But then again maybe not.

I dunno, if I was trying to introduce a new concept (which it virtually is in the eastern states) and a new product to a group of people my personal goal would be to get the product out there, give the market a taste and then go from there.

Really it is like going into a new country. I would have personally thought that if someone wanted to get their product into the market they would do a little leg work, they will do some real marketing. I personally would not expect to get ahead in a market that is highly dominated by rotary mowers (which are a lot cheaper, quick to use etc) by charging the same amount as I do in a market that my concept already has control of, plus delivery.

It is my opinion that the manufacturers of the best cylinder mowers in the country can't be interested in introducing them into the eastern states. We obviously like the MEY mowers, and have recommended them to many, some have gone to see their local MEY dealer, and been turned off them by the salesman. On I think Mainey touched on the reason why when talking about chainsaws lol.

What is the use, it all comes down to the dollar, everyone is in for the quick buck.

My opinion

Easycareacres
21-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Eb, I havent seen Mey cylinder mowers in Qld, but know of a dealer who sells for them if required. I think maybe its a transport cost that puts the dealers here off here ? .

Ebony
21-07-2004, 06:29 PM
:) I know of most of the dealers in the eastern states, we are one of them... I wasn't saying there aren't any

And nah shipping has nothing to do with it, all products need to be shipped it is simply an expense of the product, it just ads to it. Does not effect the dealer at all, they just add their mark up.

Just had a west aussie say to me "but how does a frog explain to a tadpole what its like outside of the water" :laughing: "they just have no concept" Sorry I had to share that, I thought it was great :)

We have such a big culture difference, Rotarys just aren't accepted by the customers in Perth. Perhaps it is more so that West Aussies have to use them, and we don't. They have higher standards IN THIS INSTANCE lol, they know qualitiy. We know convenience, cheap upfront costs etc. It is never as easy to deliver quality.

There are a couple of our members In eastern states with MEY's I just don't think any of them are on this forum.

Indyanswer
22-07-2004, 11:46 PM
its not transport costs its manufacturers cost bob sell cheap to the eastern states and lets get them in here :aus-flag:

Easycareacres
23-07-2004, 07:33 PM
alot to do with type off mower. type off lawns. Most contrators have domestic lawns right . Then some single mum one of many customers has 15 kids and matchbox toys on lawns. right.
Gunna stuff any cylinder mower around right. Why bother if percentage only payes going price.
These mowers we are talking about are for fine finish, get real lol. W.A I lived and mowed also, if want to paye for top finish etc reqular then outlay for top clients. Sorry had to spill some beans here. I used to mow televised cricket pitches with cylinder and no the finish. Not for our domestic lawns if want to pay for more. I hit a 20 cent piece and tottlaly stuffed good and truley the reel went away to fix $$$ nver mind will scare. Think of the kids toys stones etc. ;dealers;

Indyanswer
23-07-2004, 11:49 PM
heres a tip grass in perth and yards and people no different to qld vic or any where else for that matter a real mower is a cutting mower not a slasher a rotary is a slasher . contractors in perth have up to 180 clients in there round they cut at between 26 inch and thirty six inch thats the way they do it .in the rest of australia generally slasher are used and now ride on used to cut units and general size lawn what next lets try a tractor and have no quality what so ever or better still lets mulch .i am only 45 and all i see is every body seeems to do everything for a fast buck me tired of seeing it but thats the way the world is

Indyanswer
23-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Everything is simple yet we complicate everything for no good reason :russ:

pbm
24-07-2004, 12:10 AM
It's not making a fast buck it's called making enough to pay the bills and maybe have a buck or two left over to have some enjoyment.