PDA

View Full Version : Keeping in touch with dormant Customers?

Rod
18-07-2004, 07:41 PM
When its dry (winter Qld) and lawns don't require a regular service how do you let customers know you are still out there (even if you are not cutting their lawns?)

I have been dropping "pro-for-ma" letters into their letter boxes saying "we called today, however, your lawns did not require attention, please call when you feel you need our services etc etc."

Anybody else out there worried you might loose customers because they do not see you for 4-6 weeks?

How do you keep your business "in there face?"

matthew pitman
18-07-2004, 08:27 PM
i also drop a place a with comps card in the front door saying simaliar thing i also give a phone call, find it works well had no problems yet

Pres Lawn
19-07-2004, 09:17 PM
I would not ask the customer to call me, instead say "the lawn did not need cutting today I will miss this cut a call back in another 3 weeks, regards......... Never ask the customer to call you because they won't.

Indyanswer
19-07-2004, 10:25 PM
customers that have there lawn cut regular by a contractor are also there friends never lost one customer over dormant times they know ill cut it when it needs cutting :confused:

Rod
20-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Pres Lawn,

I agree totally with not asking them to call you.

I am primarily concerned for regular customers one might pick close to the end of the season and ensuring they do think you have disappeared. As some of the "cowboys" do.

Further into my "calling card" I actually go on to say I will continue to check your property on a regular basis. The invitation to call is in circumstances where they may have a function/BBQ etc or there interpretation for the need to mow could be different to that of your own.

Sometimes it is better not to cut if not sure rather to mow a lawn and run the risk of over servicing. You can always mow another day after making contact. I am sure you agree it is about not taking their money for a cut they may not as seen as necessary at that time?

Pres Lawn
21-07-2004, 10:11 PM
So true Admiral, (great name) in the growing months if a lawn is not growing that well thats when I start to push the fertiliser, I might say something like "the lawn has not grown much this time but what I suggest is, I do not cut it but fertilise it instead" works every time lawn looks good next cut and happy customer :)

snippy
22-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I've thought about pushing the fertilizer angle a bit more ( as soon as I find a few more customers that actually give a #$%^ about their lawn that is ) :rolleyes:

What ferts do you use and how do you apply them Pres?

Tonyr
22-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Scotts Lawn Builder works great up here on the coast, better than Nitro phoska and CK88, doesn't burn either.

But as you said, finding people that give a rat's... is a problem.

wish there was a lawn service the average tight fisted client would go for in winter, we don't have the market the yanks have with lawn care.

up here fert apps would not work, client would know that this makes grass grow and will need more mowing, letting it die off between rain seasons is the thing up here, they seem to hate grass, they may as well just pave their entire properties, landscapers are promoting the idea of huge native gardens i.e bark covers most of turf to cut down on mowing, lost a few once big lawn clients by this.

of course while they all gloat about cutting the lawn cuys throat their new gardens get weed infested and go to crap duh, they saved nothing cause garden cleanups are expensive, lol.

the other joke is they sell to the client big gardens so the ride on service is no longer needed, then they sell their hand mowing services into the package and cut us out. very clever marketing, bit dirty though. I guess it is just assuring them of future recurring work, shame landscapers don't concentrate on landscaping and mowing contractors concentrate on mowing, instead of poaching and undercutting which no one benefits from.

they cry fowl when a mowing contractor does anything classified as landscaping but feel it is fair to poach with mowing services...

sorry for getting offtrack, yeah, scotts fert is good for a general blended mix.

Rod
22-07-2004, 03:48 PM
sorry just goofing around with a signature file.

Tonyr
22-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey that's pretty clever stuff!

Silly sailer, should of showed off in the Test thread....too much weed eh? LOL!

Hey, Eb, Can I have a big red Toro tearing up the turf as mine?? LOL!

Pres Lawn
22-07-2004, 07:06 PM
What ferts do you use and how do you apply them Pres?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the lawn, soft grasses such as tall fescueand the like do not tollerate phosphorus so look for a phosphorus level below 2. So if you are not sure N.P.K. N=nitrogen P=phosohorus K=potassium. So N should be between 10-15 P between 1-1.7 K between 4-8 this info is on the side of the bag. For Kikuyu and spreading grasses such as couch use a special lawn food.

pbm
22-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Agree with Tony Scotts Lawn Builder is my preferred lawn fertilizer.

Rod
23-07-2004, 06:01 AM
On the subject of Scott's lawn builder I have not seen it in large bags (more than 4kg.)

It is a brilliant product although quite dear. Has anybody had success in sourcing in larger volumes if what size and what sort of cost.

I have been using products called "Pro Turf" and "Eco 88" and (old faithful) CK88.

Has anybody heard of a turf called ST88? I cannot find any reference material on same. I have one customer with this form of grass with a "Thatch" that you could loose a ride on in.

I have a number of reference publications but cannot find mention of this variety.

Tonyr
23-07-2004, 07:27 AM
I can'r remember what bad size I used to buy, 25?
Anyway from Bunnings it was $72 a bag, but off memory it was justified by that it spread further per KG.

Best general lawn fert I used...

Be careful with the others , if not watered in CAN burn...

The Scotts product is a full blend, extra iron for e.g, makes a huge difference.

Nitrophoska is good, but on lawns it ain't as good imo.

Stuie
23-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Has anybody heard of a turf called ST88? I cannot find any reference material on same. I have one customer with this form of grass with a "Thatch" that you could loose a ride on in.

Thats one of those new buffalos im sure.
Stuart

Rod
23-07-2004, 08:25 PM
It looks lite a broad leaf turf, but, different too "Thatch."

Pointy ends and all that very rich "blue grass appearance."

Just curious as to its origins ie: hybrid turf or whatever?

mick
24-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Personally, I think CK (calvin kline, hehe) 88 is ok! Sure it dosnt last all that long but it means repeat apps" Its cheap and it works. I was told buy "a" turf co' that its the best for Couch (QLD)
Just have to water it off the grass leaf. Just charge for your time! :russ:

APS_QLD
30-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Yes i have heard of it. Have never used it on any turf jobs. I only found it while chasing grass for a job and got the sale pitch for it.

Not sure who it was but they are in the Brisbane yellow pages under turf sales and they list the grass they sell.

Brian

Alex Callaghan
30-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Yes I've heard of ST88 (soft leaf buffalow) and I've used it on a job that I did down in Sydney when I lived there (Galston). It's good turf but Sir Walter is better by a mile! The ST88 is the younger less developed version of Sir Walter. The Sir Walter is the close to perfected bigger brother of ST88. Back when I layed the ST88 it was the primo Buffalo and now it's second rate. I've had good experiance arfter good experiance with the Sir Walter and would recomend it to anyone as a tough, attractive and generally well preforming warm season turf, Shade or not. Bloody good stuff.

Bit of Sir Walter trivia for yas.

Anyone would probably think the strain was created by some dude called Sir Walter or the like.

Walters name acctualy stands for:

WA- Winter Active
LT- Low Thatch
ER- Enviromentally Responsible

Lawnman
31-07-2004, 07:22 PM
i guess it comes down to having enough coustomers to accomadate for the winter and dormant period.
i do a fair bit of work for realestates so at the moment works pretty steady,but getting back to the subject at hand it is still good to touch base with your regulars and let them know of your movements and or sudgestions or ideas on the cutting of lawn.