PDA

View Full Version : hayfever

geejay
09-11-2008, 01:05 PM
geez hayfever is strong this year melbourne any organic remendys? :)

Mrs HMS
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Eat locally made honey in the lead up to and during hay fever season. As it's produced by local bees it will contain microscopic traces of the very pollen that causes your hayfever.

Doing this acts like an immunization of sorts, exposing your immune system to the allergens in very small doses, preventing the ENT version of the apocalypse that comes with the season's first massive exposure to pollen.

Tumeric has great anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce the hayfever symptoms....chicken curry anyone?

Aromatherapy treatment - mix three drops each of Juniper oil, lavender oil and lemon oil with 5ml of a carrier oil and rub into the skin where your sinuses are - cheekbones and just above the eyebrows/nose. Also drop some of the oils onto a handkerchief, when you feel the tingles/sneezes coming on, bring out the hanky and inhale the aromas...Do NOT put the oils near your eyes.

Most health food stores also stock homeopathic hayfever remedies.

TOO EASY YARD CARE
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
i like the local honey idea sounds like it could work....................makes sence anyway never herd that before very nice peice of usfull info

lifestyle
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Eat locally made honey in the lead up to and during hay fever season. As it's produced by local bees it will contain microscopic traces of the very pollen that causes your hayfever.

Doing this acts like an immunization of sorts, exposing your immune system to the allergens in very small doses, preventing the ENT version of the apocalypse that comes with the season's first massive exposure to pollen.

Tumeric has great anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce the hayfever symptoms....chicken curry anyone?

Aromatherapy treatment - mix three drops each of Juniper oil, lavender oil and lemon oil with 5ml of a carrier oil and rub into the skin where your sinuses are - cheekbones and just above the eyebrows/nose. Also drop some of the oils onto a handkerchief, when you feel the tingles/sneezes coming on, bring out the hanky and inhale the aromas...Do NOT put the oils near your eyes.

Most health food stores also stock homeopathic hayfever remedies.

I hadn't heard of the honey one before, great idea...

I also remember hearing about putting a pot pouri pouch under your kids pillow at night. Over the years it helps develop the sinuses and lungs and hay fever is less of an issue later in life.

tree beard
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
The honey does work to a certain extent but I still have bad days, Accupuncture has had the most lasting long term benifits for me so far and am about to trial some small nasal plug filters (sounds great hay!) Im sure some of my old dears will think Ive gone batty and had a nasal peircing :i dunno:

Islandhead
09-11-2008, 08:19 PM
:laughing: :laughing: You'll have to send some pics of you with your plugs.

But I'd say if it works, who cares what you look like, good luck with them.

Bgs
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Does any one wear dust masks and would that help with hay fever ?

tree beard
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
On some days that would be considered absolute shockers I have tried the darth Vader look but frankly even with the mask sock I find I sweat too much for comfort. you put the thing on and every one wants a chat and to know why, you do get sympathy, But unless your prepared to spend all of the high pollen days with the thing on you will still get enough exposure to get your sinus's going, thats why I want to give the relatively unobtrusive nasal plugs a go. They can stay in all day and are not supposed to affect your ability to breath but filter pollen and dust, :i dunno:

BLACK BEAR
09-11-2008, 11:42 PM
I dont actually have hay fever but quite a few nose ops and it gets irritated and stuffed up very easy along with my sinuses. Doc told me to change jobs :rolleyes: or get a proper respirator. I just settle for the throw away masks but I find they do not help that much! :i dunno: Dont seem to remember to get in on enough to make a difference - always running around busy, busy, busy :i dunno:
For the days i do wear it properly it does seem to help a little- but thats my prob-dont actually know about hay fever :who-knows

Hey tree beard where do you get those nasal plugs?? Still prob have to wear a dusk mask if it is dry weather and dusty though, it could be almost worse than smoking breathing in all that dust the mowers throw up - here in melbourne anyway :sad:

simo
10-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Zyrtec is great for hayfever its over the counter stuff also good for any allergic reactions wasp bee stings ect