PDA

View Full Version : Fish

Bluey
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I like to keep tropical fish and frogs. I have a 6ft community tank and I am building another 3 ft by 3 ft tank to hold a pair of Oscars. I also have a 4 ft high octagonal vivarium that I am refurbishing that will house some red eyed tree frogs. I used to have some in this before until I cracked the bottom. I have repaired it now so am waiting for some spare time to fit it out.

I am going to build the Oscar tank into a breakfast bar at the end of my kitchen so we can sit down and watch the fish at breakfast.

I find this really relaxes me as it takes a lot of patience and you have to be methodical in what you do.

The next step is to make a lizard tank. I would love to have a water dragon tank. Really big one with a waterfall and all.

Do any of you also keep fish or other animals?

Islandhead
10-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a small tank with some white cloud minnows and shubunkins (just coldwater nothing fancy) but when we move into the new house (if i can get the ford oil stains off the garage floor that is ;) ) I want to buy a bigger tank and start a tropical collection. The wife wants a lizard or snake (she doesn't mind which) as she's always had a soft spot for reptiles... well she did marry me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs HMS
10-11-2008, 07:53 PM
We have cold water fish only, we just don't have the time or patience to keep the tropicals alive, as beautiful as they are they're such pedantic little buggers.

Have carp in the pond outside and we had our first lot of "grandkiddies" last year...OMG we were sooooo excited you'd have thought they really were grandchildren. Unfortunately the kookas took care of many of them and I feel the cat may have had a hand (paw) in a few unexplained disappearances.

I love fish, they are so relaxing to watch.

My neighbour growing up had an aquarium wall in their lounge, it had it's own room to access the tanks for cleaning etc and a filter set up like commercial aquarium places.

Bluey
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Lol.... lizards are fine but I draw the line at snakes. When you go down the road with the bigger tank give me a yell I will be happy to help out. I have learned a few tricks over the years.

It can be a frustrating task being the "fish god" as my wife calls me and I have finally succeeded in my war against the black hair algae I have been waging for a couple of years.

It really is a rewarding hobby when you have visitors and they love your tank. My young nephew can instantly tell if I have new fish. He is really good at spotting them.

Islandhead
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Cheers Bluey, might pick your brains down the road then.

Have seen some awesome tanks, maybe you could post a few piccies of yours.

Bluey
10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a mate in Cairns who has a huge outdoor saltwater aquarium in his covered entertainment area. It is massive and decked out with huge logs and rocks. He has barra, mangrove jack, cod and all sorts of other fish in it. He has a huge pond down the back full of gold fish.

He goes down there and cast nets a bucket full of goldies and dumps them in the big tank..really fun to watch the big boys take em out. He cleans the tank by getting in it with a snorkel. We used to have bets on the the feeder fish to see who lasted the longest. He has two pool pumps running it. Best tank I have ever seen

lifestyle
10-11-2008, 08:05 PM
We have a pond ouside with 3 big goldfish, there about 8 - 10 inches long. Pond has plenty of lillys and water plants but needs a good clean out - fish don't seem to mind though...

glassngrass
10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Used to be right into tropical fish - had 32 tanks (from 2 ft to 6 ft) with various tropical fresh water varieties from Africa and Sth America - Cichlids. I bred about six varieties.

Had a dedicated room set aside for them, tanks on two or three tier stands. Found it cheaper and more effective to heat the room instead of the tanks.

Bluey
11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Used to be right into tropical fish - had 32 tanks (from 2 ft to 6 ft) with various tropical fresh water varieties from Africa and Sth America - Cichlids. I bred about six varieties.

Had a dedicated room set aside for them, tanks on two or three tier stands. Found it cheaper and more effective to heat the room instead of the tanks.

Geez mate almost a full time job cleaning them..lol

glassngrass
11-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I also bread bristtle-nosed catfish - they kept the glass and gravel nice and clean. Had six hundred ofthese fella's at one stage.

haireyscarie
11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
had fish for year's. 12 tanks ,breed ciclids, ,had snakes for the next few years
only have me bird ( now and the dogs
and 3 Australian Tarantula's
but will get back to them all again when we finish the house

the Tarantula's are so much fun to watch :cool:

chatza
10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Just snooping around and found this so thought id show you my setup im starting.
Its a 4 foot tropical tank its been running for about 4 weeks now no deaths yet.
Got 2 dwarf gourami, 12 neons, 4 glass blood tail tetras, 1 sucking catfish and some snails.
Having loads of fun with it.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Love fish started building a pond when we brought this place dug it by hand but havent cemented it one day ill get back to it but i just keep addding projects and seem to never have enough time or money to finish them.

RSM-Gazza
10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Bluey, sounds good what you propose to do with the breakfast bar.

I have a problem at home with a VOCAL frog.
My house is very tropical in landscape.
Outside my front bedroom window and to the side of the room,(1200sq block).
I have a tropical feature with coca palms and bangalow palms and sub tropical infill shrubs. Within this feature is a cascading waterfall that is on timer and shuts down at night due waterfall wall noise.
The problem is one frog just makes a racket everynight and it echo's across the street. Whilst it vibrates into our bedroom, we have to ensure the ensuite window is closed also to minimise the freddo noise.
I always thought when a frog struts his vocal cords he is trying to attract a female frog.
WELL THIS FROG HAS BEEN LONELY FOR TOOO LONG if this is what they do.
I know there a protected species, any ideas, like shredded red capsicum placed around and air gunned under and around the water fall structure. (I only just thought of that). To encouarge him to find a new home.

Any advise appreciated,

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
There is many rumours about frogs croaking. There looking for a mate, it is about to rain. my suggestion is go out and find where he is hiding gently pick him up and move him to a nice place down the road and put oe of those rubber snakes where he used to hide. We have heaps here they dont really worry us. I suppose we just grew up with them.

RSM-Gazza
10-10-2010, 09:15 PM
There is many rumours about frogs croaking. There looking for a mate, it is about to rain. my suggestion is go out and find where he is hiding gently pick him up and move him to a nice place down the road and put oe of those rubber snakes where he used to hide. We have heaps here they dont really worry us. I suppose we just grew up with them.

The problem is he under the fibreglass water fall pond structure that is partially cement in.
He sits in there in a moist dark exclusive environment that must be frog heaven to him.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah nearly as good as under the toilet bowl. At one house we lived at we had one used to live where the water come out. It was really funny to hear the misses yell in the middle of the night when he would but his cold hand on her backside as she was trying to do her buisness. I would get one of those rubber snakes and shove that in there if hes a problem.