PDA

View Full Version : Types of power washers .

administrator
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Types of power washers .
Contractors chat about what types and what is best machinery for the job .

mowjoman
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a Karcher. Only a small one mainly for domestic use but goes pretty good ay. Had it for ages (long before in this game).

I've always advertised pressure cleaning but have never had a hit until today actually.
My neighbour borrowed his works SPITWATER for a weekend to do his house...MAN what a nice piece of kit that thing is...I want one!!!

One question I have is it possible to get a gernie that has an adjustable pressure output? I've heard that if you do a driveway or path that was laid perhaps a little light on in the sand to cement ratio then you'll end up with an exposed agrigate with too much pressure? :i dunno:

tree beard
11-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi all

I have a bosch pressure cleaner, very happy with the unit and have had it running continuously for 4 hours plus on jobs :)

Have tried a couple of chlorine and bleach based chemicals on driveways and for all they are worth (and cost) I find the pressure cleaner gets the same results without the assistance of chemicals and the profit to me is better!

With a big commercial cleaner you can damage the texture/surface of some concretes and stenciled driveways however my unit peaks at about 1300 psi and I have had no such problem, however with the big diesel powered Karcher I have stripped a layer of paint off the truck (doah!) :dean: :mad: :) :laughing:

bb1
12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
I just have a lower ranch Karcher which seems to power through most jobs ok. My last job was 6 hours and it didnt miss a beat.

I have stopped advertisingf due to the water restrictions, but still get a few jobs. Most of my clients are on rain water tanks so I can still do it anyhow.

Stripes
12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I use a domestic Karcher that is about 1600psi. It cost me $500 about 7 years ago, and I let my clients know I have it during Winter. It has plenty of power for driveways and has the adjustable nozzle with four different applications. I wouldnt do huge areas with it, but its handy during the slow period during Winter. I had to replace the hose on it a few months back after it split. It was cheaper to buy an entire cheaper unit, than to buy a replacement hose!

m287j
12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a Auusie Pumps pressure cleaner, powered by a Honda 5.5 motor, it goes brilliant and it is relatively light and easy to manoeuvre......
. It also has a turbo head which is very handy.
I probably do 1 pressure cleaning job every 2 months or so, in winter time i look for more of that type of work.

mowjoman
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
It also has a turbo head which is very handy.
I probably do 1 pressure cleaning job every 2 months or so, in winter time i look for more of that type of work.

How do you charge your pressure cleaning jobs out there mate? Hourly rate, square meterage ???

m287j
14-11-2008, 04:58 PM
How do you charge your pressure cleaning jobs out there mate? Hourly rate, square meterage ???

I tend to estimate an overall cost for the customer, and in doing my calculations i work on a price around $50 per hour.

I haven't looked at quoting by the square metre, particularly as some jobs have relatively clean areas that you will do quickly and other areas are real bad and will take a lot longer.

mowjoman
14-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Matt. :)

Lee Fender
20-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I have a scorpion 6.5HP, Bought it in the free ads for $200 and made the money back a couple of days laters doing a driveway and getting lime slurry off a wall. Then the customers neighbour asked me if I would clean and seal his driveway. Gave me $600 for 3 hours work. So have added driveway sealing feather to my cap now.

Islandhead
20-11-2008, 03:27 PM
That's good going Lee, you can never have a cap with too many feathers.

63impala
20-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a scorpion 6.5HP, Bought it in the free ads for $200 and made the money back a couple of days laters doing a driveway and getting lime slurry off a wall. Then the customers neighbour asked me if I would clean and seal his driveway. Gave me $600 for 3 hours work. So have added driveway sealing feather to my cap now.

How do you seal a drive way.

Lee Fender
20-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Clean the drive and allow to dry, Then 1/2 and 1/2 sealant and water in a sprayer for the first coat. go off for 2 hours and get a couple of lawns done then Full strength for the second. 15 litres for $160 at bunnings. I use crommelen. Good profit and anyone can do it. Just use a cheap bunnings sprayer though, $9 at the moment for a 5 litre

63impala
20-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Ill be keeping that in mind.

Paul
24-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I have an aussie eco-clean 9Hp Honda pressure cleaner blasts mortar out at 3000psi.hehe(scary as a turbo head is available to make it 4000!).Has nice wide spray on it so makes jobs speedy.I bought it 2nd hand few years back for $600.
I charge machine hire equivelent to hire shops and an hourly rate.
All friends and family are always eying it off to borrow.

Ability
28-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Aussie pumps Honda GX390 13hp 4000psi bertollini pump with rotary cleaner, turbo head and double lance. SENSATIONAL!

m287j
28-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Aussie pumps Honda GX390 13hp 4000psi bertollini pump with rotary cleaner, turbo head and double lance. SENSATIONAL!

And i bought your hand me down which goes well. :frightene

Paul
28-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Are you in the demolishion business.Thats hardcore.

glassngrass
29-11-2008, 06:25 AM
"Honda GX390 13hp 4000psi " - SuperSoaker does steroids :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mine is Volka 2700 PSI, 2.4 GPM Pressure washer

Ability
01-12-2008, 07:54 PM
No demolision - just powering through....the speed and time savings are incredible! :wave-hi:

mowjoman
08-04-2009, 01:49 PM
New addition to the Mowjoman family. She has been welcomed with open, loving arms. :p
Spitwater 13hp honda motor. the rotor wash was extra of course but man its quick, dont think I'll charge by the hour :p
I've been getting quite a large call for this work especially through Home assist.
Anyone that has spent any time up here will know that during the wet season you can almost see the mould growing.....So hopefully "Mould is gold"
I've also let all the real estate agents that I do work for know that I have it now. I pitched it in a landlord liability sense, as we all know when wet mould is very slippery. :ebony: :wave-hi:

Ability
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Jason - Now thats what I'm talkin about! Same beast with a different badge! :aus-flag:

Christine Wharton
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Jason
That looks like a handy machine, but I'm looking for a petrol-powered one that is a bit more compact to pack into the ute. Ideas, anyone?

mowjoman
13-04-2009, 09:47 AM
G'Day Christine.
There's heaps out there, just depends on what you want to do.
Spitwater make one that a 9 hp Honda and has just enouogh power to run the rotor wash and is more compact than that one.
http://www.spitwaterqld.com.au/pressure_cleaners_cold_water_petrol.html

geejay
23-04-2009, 09:25 PM
anyone that can clean and seal pavers,balwyn,melbourne,let me know,quick..........

Stripes
23-04-2009, 09:29 PM
anyone that can clean and seal pavers,balwyn,melbourne,let me know,quick..........

I cleaned some today with Chlorine. Filled the spray bottle with chlorine, sprayed it on, left it for 10 minutes then hosed it off. Good as new.

Ability
27-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Bryan - check out Dooreens on Ridgecrop!

Forget the Chlorine - give 'em my number!!! :aus-flag:

simo
20-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Bought the 5hp honda karcher 2500 psi combo done 40 sq of black concrete in under two hrs ,now looks like new concrete ..Happy with the price $750 super cheap auto ,realy happy with perfomance :) :)

Stripes
20-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Bryan - check out Dooreens on Ridgecrop!

Forget the Chlorine - give 'em my number!!! :aus-flag:

Doreens looks great! I will pass on your number to anything out of my league. The one I did with the chlorine was just a little courtyard as part of a cleanup. It had Gum leaf stains all over it and the chlorine fixed it up quick smart.

Ability
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
We just got our new website online - dedicated to the pressure cleaning we do.

Check out - www.highpressureclean.com.au

Huge thanks to Bruce at BJ's for putting this together!!!!! :aus-flag:

Any referals would be greatly appreciated!!! :wave-hi:

Chris B
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Bought the 5hp honda karcher 2500 psi combo done 40 sq of black concrete in under two hrs ,now looks like new concrete ..Happy with the price $750 super cheap auto ,realy happy with perfomance :) :)

Hi Simo,

Just wondering if you still have this unit and if so how is it going? reliable etc...?

simo
04-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi Simo,

Just wondering if you still have this unit and if so how is it going? reliable etc...?Hey chris yes still got it, done about 30 jobs with it, nearly two yrs old, reliability is great..but could do with some more psi/flow rate, 2500psi is ok but some times i wish i could get the job done a little quicker.. :)

Chris B
04-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey chris yes still got it, done about 30 jobs with it, nearly two yrs old, reliability is great..but could do with some more psi/flow rate, 2500psi is ok but some times i wish i could get the job done a little quicker.. :)

Thanks, So maybe great for home use but if we really wanted to do a few commercial jobs might be wiser to get a 13hp and maybe a whirl away ??? price does jump up considerably though

simo
04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes i don`t do many just for good customer service, ( for top $$ customers) may be 10-15 per yr..so yes a wirlaway and 3000-4000psi would be ideal ,it`s on my wish list...

63impala
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Are the whril a way with the caster wheels the best or the one with out...

Chris B
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Yes i don`t do many just for good customer service, ( for top $$ customers) may be 10-15 per yr..so yes a wirlaway and 3000-4000psi would be ideal ,it`s on my wish list...

yeh same here.. just trying to justify it / convince myself!

Chris B
05-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Are the whril a way with the caster wheels the best or the one with out...

I'd say wheels are better.. seems most pro units have wheels .. prob last longer.. karcher commercial one here: http://www.karcher.com.au/aus/Products/Professional/Highpressure_cleaners/Cold_water_highpressure_cleaners/With_combustion_engine/18109870.htm?&sdp=ac&pid=26406790&accessoriesGroupName=&pn=FR+50+hard+surface+cleaner&title=FR+50+hard+surface+cleaner

11-05-2011, 07:28 PM
In terms of Pressure washers the more powerful the better.
The output can always be reduced through the jets that are fitted to the lance / tool but the output cannot exceed the overall pump pressure.
To effectively clean concrete surfaces using a whirlaway / rotary cleaner then a minimum of 3000psi is required as this is divided by each jet on the unit giving you a fraction of the output of your unit. 2 jets halves the output, three gives you one third etc. 1500psi should be the minimum output per jet. Less than that and you may as well use the garden hose.
A 4000psi petrol unit will do all that 99% want to achieve matched to twin pressure lances and rotoclean / whirlaway units.
If anybody needs further info on pressure washing and units available then I am happy to assist with my equipment knowledge.
just googling about and found that $3 per SqM is the going rate...good sideline.

mowjoman
11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Crikey $3/m2. I thought I was doing ok at $1.20. I dont reckon anyone'd pay that up here.

11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
"Prices from as low as $3 sqm"
http://www.ozcleaningservices.com.au/services/pressure-cleaning?gclid=CO360vzi36gCFU4lpQod9CtMrw

NLALM
02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I can get hold of an 18 inch whirlaway for $350 it's almost brand new dollars are really tight at the moment and I'm trying to save up for a website that I have been putting off, but I think this is to good a deal to let go. Are any of you guys using a whirlaway and are they worth the investment?

mowjoman
03-06-2011, 07:15 AM
That price sound pretty good. From memory I paid close to 1K for mine new. Just make sure the main bearing is ok and if you get it put a coupla pumps of grease in it after each job. If your doing alot of larger areas then there definately a worthwhile investment. Charge by the m2 though not hrly rate or you'll do your a*se. I charge $1.20/m2 but after reading Aido's post I'm going to revise this price. When I first got into it I got a coupla family and friends to get quotes for me from others and it seemed to be the go but that was about 4 years ago.

NLALM
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the reply I will have look at it on the weekend, The guy says it has only done one job, in the picture it looks new, I think he bought it to do a certain job and it wasn't suitable, he isn't a contractor and just wants to off load it

03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
What are using to drive it?

PaulG
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Anyone had a look at the unit in the current Repco catalogue?

It has a 6.5hp motor but says it's only 2500psi. I thought it would rate higher than that?

Would it be any good for driveways etc or not enough psi?

http://catalogues.repco.com.au/offer/pressure-cleaners/repco-petrol-pressure-washer/4mp0p4izn.html?source=catalogue

NLALM
03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Aido I have a 3000psi machine I have been looking at upgrading to a decent aussie pumps machine and then really pushing this service while the lawns are slow

03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Aussie pumps are bulletproof.
3000 psi coupled to a twin head rotoklean is suitable for light staining and dirt / moss removal.Tennis courts, poolside and patios Take your time with it and you get even results. Its not like a 65cc brushcutter though whereby everywhere you point it results will follow.
You should do fine. Anything stuborn then you may need to break out the lance.
Just remember that with rotokleans that they have 2 jets and that will halve the output of your unit through each jet.

AYM
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I did a bit of pressure cleaning work for a lawnmowing guy in his offseason a few years ago, and for area coverage and speed, especially on a roof, you can't go past a whirlaway. Oncle you're doe, you just tidy up and stubborn stuff with the lance.

63impala
14-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Stuff this I bought a Honda 13Hp and it **** it self after like 8hours work aint happy...........:dean:;dealers;:sad::cool:

63impala
14-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey anyone ! how you start new threads do share.... I was crusing down Brisbane way And found a huge orange bulding with the goldin words S T I H L look like HQ for stihl....I be knoking on the door what up this is what I roll with you got any thing good....Oh yes I will see....:cool::p