PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Whole Snapper

Mrs HMS
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I thought now that we're getting into the warmer weather I'd post this great BBQ recipe....

Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1.8kg to 2kg whole snapper, scaled, gutted
• 1 lime, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• mint leaves, shredded green onions and lime wedges, to serve

Spiced dressing
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 5cm piece ginger, peeled, chopped
• 2 small red chillies, deseeded, chopped
• 3 long red chillies, chopped
• 1/4 cup caster sugar
• 1/3 cup fish sauce
• 2 limes, juiced

Method

1. Heat barbecue grill on medium heat. Rinse belly cavity of fish and clean any blood from backbone (this can make fish taste bitter). Pat dry with paper towel. Score fish at 2.5cm intervals on both sides to help fish cook evenly.

2. Place 3 layers foil on workbench (you need 3 layers to protect fish and make the parcel strong enough to handle). Place fish in centre. Arrange lime slices in cavity.

3. Drizzle both sides fish with oil (so fish does not stick to foil) and season well with pepper. Fold foil over fish to cover and fold in sides to enclose.

4. Place fish parcel on barbecue grill. Cook fish for 10 minutes. Turn and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully unwrap fish and test with a fork (it will flake easily when cooked through). Transfer to a plate. Stand for 5 minutes.

5. While the fish is cooking, make spiced dressing. Place garlic, ginger and chillies in a small food processor. Process to a paste. Transfer to a saucepan. Add sugar, fish sauce, 100ml lime juice and 2 tablespoons cold water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Set aside to cool.

6. Place fish on a serving platter. Pour over dressing. Top with mint and green onions. Serve with lime wedges.

I have an alternative dressing that I sometimes use but can't for the life of me find the receipe. It's more of a salsa type dressing. If I find it I'll come back and post it later.

Islandhead
11-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Sounds delicious Joanne, might have to give that a go as the wife is one of those vegetarians that eat fish :laughing:

BLACK BEAR
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
:p It could be a good time to meet some of the members Joanne, just buy up big on those snappers though ;)

Bluey
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds really nice Joanne. I would kill for some baked snapper right now.

Mrs HMS
12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I finally found the salsa recipe...

Tomato & Cucumber Salsa

Ingredients

1 (130g) Lebanese cucumber
2 small (260g) tomatoes, seeded, chopped finely
½ small (50g) red onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander

Method

Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and use a teaspoon remove the seeds. Cut in half again lengthways then slice thinly. Combine the cucumber with the tomato, onion, sauce and coriander in a medium bowl. Serve over top of the BBQ snapper

PhilG
23-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Bought a whole Snapper today to cook on BBQ. Looks like a good recipe.

Jayk
23-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Giddy up, looks yum!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah , Have two 5 kilo snappers in the freezer. looks like its time they got eaten

Scooby Steve
27-12-2011, 07:51 AM
:p It could be a good time to meet some of the members Joanne, just buy up big on those snappers though ;)

Dont buy em catch em taste much better fresh. Sounds like a tasty dish Joanne nice work.