PDA

View Full Version : Medical problems as a contractor

administrator
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Discuss how when where and why your medical condition medication and how you cope with it on the job .

Diebetes ,Arthritis,high and low blood pressure,overweight underweight ,menapause ,Period pain . Back pain ,dickie knee etc .

mowjoman
12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Years ago I developed tennis elbow in my right elbow. Was very painfull at the time and before I started mowing I was behind a desk for few years and it went away...well not long into this and came back...
I wear a strap around my forearm every time I use the whipper snipper, seems to keep it at bay...Have started to experiance some pain in my LEFT elbow now so strap 2 on before it gets too bad.

geejay
13-11-2008, 03:43 PM
i do stretching exercises recomended by a physio',like doing a daily
prey towads mecca(only way i can think of describing it,hope know one is offended),works for me relieves lower back pressure.try to swim lengths,which does the same thing. :) go for a full body massage once a month,takes a few days to recover,but does wonders to lossen up the body. :)

BLACK BEAR
13-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm with you geejay! In my middle age now :rolleyes: I do regular back & leg stretching. Visit the chiro 1-2 monthly depending on season for a massage or manipulation. I know the wallet gets manipulated :dean:. Dont like paying the money but if the body is not right its hard to get through a busy week. :i dunno:

Bgs
13-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm with you geejay! In my middle age now :rolleyes: I do regular back & leg stretching. Visit the chiro 1-2 monthly depending on season for a massage or manipulation. I know the wallet gets manipulated :dean:. Dont like paying the money but if the body is not right its hard to get through a busy week. :i dunno:

Has anyone got any Industry specific stretches that we can start the day with ?

The whipper snipper is what kills my lower back, going to the pyhsio on Monday I will see if i can get some exercises to post up

administrator
13-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Yoga is good for back stretching :)

http://backpainadvisor.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/back-pain-%e2%80%a6-another-muscles-you-forget-to-stretch/

CALF MUSCLE CAN GIVE YOU BACK PAIN

There is a muscle that most will never consider or look at with any back pain complaint. The muscle is your calf muscle.

You may be wondering how a muscle in your lower leg may cause back pain. Again it is only part of the causes, but from a muscular perspective, the calf is a major force.

Your calf muscle is one of the main postural muscles. It helps to give you that “position in space”. So if it is tight your posture will change. You may notice this by looking at your pelvis – it may be titled forward so that the bony prominence on the front of your pelvis is lower than the one at the back (this is commonly seen as a sway back).

You may also notice that one side of your pelvis is higher than the other. Also a common result of calf muscle problems.

If you try to correct the back or pelvis without treating the calf muscles, you will end up trying to push water up a hill … very difficult I’m sure you’ll agree.

BLACK BEAR
13-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I know the ones to do now I will have to find some pics to show.
Generally I go from top to toe :laughing: neck, shoulders, back, butt, hammies calf etc :wave-hi:

Paul
24-11-2008, 10:34 PM
i go to the gym daily..Started as it was recommended for a knee problem(strengthen muscle around the knee),i do alot of deadlifts for a strong back..When i worked for a large construction company they had a trainer come to the site to show us daily stretches.Knee still palys up on big days,but i just strap it or use a knee warmer/sleeve.
Lower back stretch..Start with hands on hips and stretch back,holding it.Repeat gradually lifting your hands higher up your back for each stretch.

geejay
28-02-2009, 12:17 PM
streching has really helped me with lower back ache,the one the cricketers do,hands on hips and push hips forward,is brillant.

Kim
28-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Stretching is great, also the best natural anti-inflammatory is Tumeric, I put a spoonful with all of my cooking and it is really good, as hubby is a painter he has bad wrists and bad lower back. Tumeric along with celery seed has done wonders for him. I really think that if you feed your body right, not too many acidic foods (which having an acidic body, can aggrevate arthiritis and all sorts of other medical problems), can really help all sorts of conditions, eat healthy and give your body fuel to fight off any condition you have.

geoff
28-02-2009, 02:27 PM
pain away is great for arthrits , sprains , sore wrists and knees....natural product containg arnica montano flower , emu oil rosemary oil eucalytus oil and emu oil...spray on and pain actually goes away..

geejay
28-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Stretching is great, also the best natural anti-inflammatory is Tumeric, I put a spoonful with all of my cooking and it is really good, as hubby is a painter he has bad wrists and bad lower back. Tumeric along with celery seed has done wonders for him. I really think that if you feed your body right, not too many acidic foods (which having an acidic body, can aggrevate arthiritis and all sorts of other medical problems), can really help all sorts of conditions, eat healthy and give your body fuel to fight off any condition you have.

yep,celery sticks work for me,have a stick a day,chop it up and keep ends in a mug with a little water in fridge will try the tumeric.

administrator
28-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Dont cause yourself to have medical problems.

February 27, 2009: A remarkable story of a man who’s body started shutting down after being exposed to extreme Heat
A brickie.

See vid on Melting man

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&tab=m164

Mrs HMS
28-02-2009, 08:52 PM
the celery seed and/or celery seed extract is a super concentrated version that I read a research paper on when I was at uni - related to it's beneficial effects on arthritis.

I've just noticed that I am developing "typists" fingers as I am on the computer all day at work. Dropped in to the health food store today to get some celery seed extract...will hopefully work wonders as I have absolutely no strength in my thumbs, which makes opening jars, holding pens etc just about impossible.

Ah....the joys of ageing. and to think, I'm note even 40 (not yet anyway..I'm holding on to those 8 months for dear life)

Kim
28-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Admin that was a good to see!
Geoff - Pain away sounds great have never seen it in our chemist or supermarket is it widely available?
Yep Geejay Celery way to go :russ: But how clever for soaking it in water I am going to do that now in a small glass and add it to my water everyday as I normally steep the seeds in hot water, but your idea is so much easier, not as concentrated, but it will do the trick Brilliant! Simple things in life are the best and simple things are what keeps you healthy, if we all got back to basics and cut out all the processed **** we wouldn;t have half the problems :)

geoff
28-02-2009, 09:28 PM
normally your local chemist kim... and mate u can leave the celery for the rabbits thank you :laughing:
The pain is a bit expensive at 28 bucks for 125ml but bloody worth i have to say

MOWON
14-11-2009, 02:32 PM
the celery seed and/or celery seed extract is a super concentrated version that I read a research paper on when I was at uni - related to it's beneficial effects on arthritis.

I've just noticed that I am developing "typists" fingers as I am on the computer all day at work. Dropped in to the health food store today to get some celery seed extract...will hopefully work wonders as I have absolutely no strength in my thumbs, which makes opening jars, holding pens etc just about impossible.

Ah....the joys of ageing. and to think, I'm note even 40 (not yet anyway..I'm holding on to those 8 months for dear life)
Hi Mrs HMS
You are young enough to be my daughter.
Have always enjoyed your posts but I thought you mowed lawns 6 days a week same as me.
:i dunno: :i dunno:
I have been wondering how long is this old body of mine going to last????
I replace my mowers and trimmers etc every 2 years for tax purposes.(keep the old ones in my old mums shed for back, up in good nick mind you or flick off)
But unless you go to ride on work what do you do??
People who work in offices do wear out their bodies.
My relations go to the gym after work.
I crash on the couch after doing my book work
:( :( :(
Time to franchise - Where are you Jim?
Oh sorry .

Mrs HMS
14-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Mrs HMS
You are young enough to be my daughter

Only if you started very young Mowon...but thanks!

No I was really just the offsider and bookkeeper for the business until health issues for Tim caused him to have to give it away.

Recurring back problems are another one that plagues this industry as Tim found out. But in the end the cardiac problem that saw him spend 4 days in cardiac critical care earlier this year would have seen an end to the job, even without the bad back.

We only get one body so we all need to take care of it because the alternative isn't all that flash.

Christine Wharton
15-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Discuss how when where and why your medical condition medication and how you cope with it on the job .

Diebetes ,Arthritis,high and low blood pressure,overweight underweight ,menapause ,Period pain . Back pain ,dickie knee etc .

A few of these medical conditions sound familiar, but with half a century on the clock, there's no wonder ;)

Diabetes is one that both Vince & I have, but he is insulin-dependent (Type 1) whereas I am Type 2. It is one of the reasons I don't like to think of him working on the job alone fulltime, as a hypo' (seriously low blood sugar level) can be a very real OH&S risk factor. He's only ever had one hypo when he was working by himself (thankfully, within walking distance of home and an ambulance was called by a concerned passerby, which was very considerate of them.) When we are out and about we always have some jelly beans in the glovebox, and a bottle of Staminade concentrate in with our bottles of cold water that can be made up at a moments notice if he goes hypo'. (I've often thought we should have a glucometer on board, too, but we can usually tell a hypo' without an official BSL reading.) He hasn't had a hypo' while he has been working with me, but his hyper' times can sometimes be more difficult for me to handle, as we don't have insulin on board.

Much of what ails me involves having to use prescription medication, but I have also used 'erbal medication to sooth the symptons of some of the other things that a mid-life woman experiences. We have also used glucosamine/fish oil from time to time if we get joint soreness as it does seem to help reduce the inflamation, and we use Nurofen on an ad hoc basis for the general aches and pains that sometimes come after a hard day's work (especially clean up jobs). The physical aspect of our work is good exercise physically and emotionally and I was hoping it would be a good way to lose a few kilos as I am overweight. Alas it hasn't, but I can still get down to weed garden beds and do all that needs to get done, and I feel vital and young at heart (most of the time anyway) and that balances out the downside of any medical problems to date.

Fresh_Cut
15-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Problem i've got is that ive just been suspected with epilepsy.

Now trying to be a sole lawnie and not being allowed to drive has its issues..

Christine Wharton
15-11-2009, 08:47 PM
IF the diagnosis of epilepsy is confirmed and you wanted to stay in the industry, it would probably be a good time to get an offsider on board and have them be the nominated driver. (There are advantages in being a passenger c.f. driver too - the time can be used to look up maps and be the navigator, make phone calls legally, relax and enjoy the scenery or look for places you might want to drop a business card into, etc.) You'd need to have someone on board who knew what to do in case of a fit, too, "just in case".

63impala
15-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Did not know they had kids at 13 back in your day mowon lol lol lol

Hi Mrs HMS
You are young enough to be my daughter.
Have always enjoyed your posts but I thought you mowed lawns 6 days a week same as me.
:i dunno: :i dunno:
I have been wondering how long is this old body of mine going to last????
I replace my mowers and trimmers etc every 2 years for tax purposes.(keep the old ones in my old mums shed for back, up in good nick mind you or flick off)
But unless you go to ride on work what do you do??
People who work in offices do wear out their bodies.
My relations go to the gym after work.
I crash on the couch after doing my book work
:( :( :(
Time to franchise - Where are you Jim?
Oh sorry .

ian
15-11-2009, 09:32 PM
joanne the typist finger sounds like carpal tunnel which i have been assured is easily fixed with an operation you only need to take 1-2 weeks of in most case's which as i said to the doctor that's easy when your self employed [ that was more than 10 years ago ] i take magnesium tablets and believe they have eased the symptoms i still have trouble with my right hand occasionally[ using the mouse to often or a lot of brushcutting ] but am lucky in that i am pretty well ambidextrous

redbackmowing
15-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Problem i've got is that ive just been suspected with epilepsy.

Now trying to be a sole lawnie and not being allowed to drive has its issues..

sorry to hear about this Fresh Cut. i think if you don't have a seizure for 6-12 months you can drive with a doctors certificate clearance. but i guess you have to find right balance in medication first. also mowers with a cut-off lever might be a safe option for you also. it must be frustrating sitting on the sidelines. best of luck, i'm sure you'll get on top of it.

rbm

ian
16-11-2009, 07:31 PM
christine i noticed that you said you and your husband use nurofen for your aches and pains have you spoken to your doctor about this as it's my understanding that nurofen [ibuprofen ]is not recommended for diabetics due to the increased risk of kidney problems

Redeye
16-11-2009, 07:41 PM
A lot of old school doctors think Ibuprofin should be prescription only especially in tablet form.
I had a knee problem that was mis-diagnosed 2 years ago, spent 2-3 months on crutches, damage was too far gone for surgery to remedy but walking/mowing seems to be the best thing for it....touch wood!

ian
16-11-2009, 09:06 PM
ibuprofen [nurofen] is not supposed to be used by people with kidney problems and one of the problems caused by diabetes is kidney problems

ian
16-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Do not drink alcohol while taking ibuprofen. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by ibuprofen. Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Ibuprofen can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result. Use a sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) and wear protective clothing if you must be out in the sun.
just because you can buy it easily doen't mean it's safe always read the directions

Christine Wharton
16-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I know Nurofen needs to be taken with food, but didn't know about the issue of staying away from sunlight (mind you, most times it's used in conjunction with a bit of bed rest here ;)
It will be somethig to discuss with the GP for sure, esp if the kidney function tests come back with poor results.
Thanks guys...

ian
18-11-2009, 09:34 PM
christine i should listen to my wife more closely apparently the worry with nurofen is it's interaction with metformin the drug used mainly for type 2 diabetics

bulletproofhead
25-05-2010, 11:26 PM
hi all , also a diabetic type 2 , i have been told by a chemist that nurofen will turn a diabetic into a bleeder , and metformin , (my medication) , gives you constipation , so make sure you know where the toilets are , cause you will need them , seriously no jokes , and also remember stress is a very big factor with diabeties too , as i have post traumatic stress disorder from a 10yr old armed robbery episode ( x security guard ), i can assure you it can play a big roll in diabetes .

South East Mowing
30-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Had a great week so far!! Migraine Monday got out at 3pm for 1 ride on job. Worked while I could Tue/Wed/Thur through the showers/rain/storms. Friday not a bad day to work and another Migraine:dean:
As 1 of the wise men on here has said - no probs I will catch up but it's going to mean working the next 2 w/ends- and that is without any more migraines. Have none for ages then get hit with heaps in a short period!!:dean:
I hope Saturday gets much better in many ways!!:wave-hi:

PaulG
30-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Anything different in the last week that could have triggered them John?

Fred's mowing
30-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Anything different in the last week that could have triggered them John?

Stress of course.................. ever heard of the Colliwobbles?????????????:dean:
Cheers Fred.

edbeek
30-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I have suffered with cluster headaches for most of my adult life, but thankfully they seem to be less regular as I get older.

Usually for me, they start about Oct/Nov every year and I cop one every night for about 6 weeks. Wake at 1.30am with icepicks through the brain and just a blithering mess until about 3am when it dissipates as suddenly as it comes on.

When they were regular during the night they weren't such a problem with work except you are pretty shagged after 6 weeks of loss of sleep.

Last episode I had they changed the medication to prednisone, but dosage wasn't high enough to do any good. All it did was disrupt the regularity so I was getting the headaches any time of day or night.
Caffeine works for some sufferers(including me), so I'd go to work with a 6pack of Red Bulls and slug one down when I felt an attack starting. But that's only temporary relief. Seems like you have got to go through the full blown attack before it leaves you alone until tomorrow.

It's been 3 years since I had an episode, so hopefully they are a thing of the past for me.

geoff
30-09-2011, 08:02 PM
come on john that win for the pies will inspire you to stick it right up me lol ......shame though cause i think you might not get to crow lol lol...hope the you are well though cause i need ti rip into ya:p:p

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
30-09-2011, 09:15 PM
come on john that win for the pies will inspire you to stick it right up me lol ......shame though cause i think you might not get to crow lol lol...hope the you are well though cause i need ti rip into ya:p:p

Hey Geoff are you Johns forum stalker? :laughing:

Arfa Brayne
20-10-2014, 10:12 PM
This is a good thread topic - no-one looks at it unless they are crook, (who wants to listen to someone whinge about what ails 'em ?) and then you find out how many struggle with health issues.

Moral of the story is = DON'T EVER GO TO THE DOCTORS !!!!!!

Had a cold/flu in July, 2nd hit in August for 4 weeks till mid Sept, fortnight fine and another cycle a couple of weeks ago. - Made a mistake and went to the doctors.
Umbilical hernia from all the coughing + Pneumonia he reckons - need some chest xrays to confirm.
xrays come back and I score the bonus prize = fractured vertebrae with 60% compression (yeah the back's always given me greif)

I hope I get to quote him for a lawn job - reckon he'll need some serious tree lopping and weed control, maybe some new retaining walls too.

Bugger !

djkgrounds
20-10-2014, 11:43 PM
come back and I score the bonus prize = fractured vertebrae with 60% compression (yeah the back's always given me greif)

I hope I get to quote him for a lawn job - reckon he'll need some serious tree lopping and weed control, maybe some new retaining walls too.

Bugger !

Bugger alright. Take it easy and get some physio on the back.

I have Calcific tendinitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcific_tendinitis) in my shoulders which give me grief all the time. When it was first diagnosed I was cutting concrete and I was getting sever pain to my right shoulder.

Within 12hrs I had lost all feeling in my right arm from shoulder to fingers (Not easy to drive when you cant feel your arm).
Down to the docs to be sent for an Xray, When they came out the sonographer sent me to get a ultrasound on my shoulder.
So after getting a bit nervous with them not telling me anything, they sent me back to the docs. So now i'm on strong anti-inflammatory tablets only when I need them. It took about 2 weeks to get feeling back to my arm.

I also have Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) which has hassled me since I was born. After having surgery when I was about 2yrs old getting a valve replacement this still haunts me nearly every day.

How to deal with it. Put up with it is the only way I can.

DavidS
21-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Yeah Arfa, hope it get better soon.
I have degenretive vertebrae in my lower spine, plus osteoarthritis in lower spine, shoulders, neck and hands, plus need a operation on my shoulder to fix a rotor cuff tear and to top it off I now have osteo in my left ankle and foot from to many sprained ankles playing sport and using my left foot for digging holes when landscaping.
Bloody ****e always catches up to you. Should never play sports or work for a living. I wish LOL.
Oh yeah I went to Drs for flu injection last year and ended up with a bad chest infection and now I also have sinus, which I never used to get. Drs who needs them LOL

Matt1972
21-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Fortunately most of my ailments are more of a nuisance. Osteo arthritis in the left knee after having cartilage taken out 13 years ago, stiff and sore ankles every morning after numerous sprains from sport and work, I get tendonitis in my left shoulder from time to time (ice and massage seem to help). The more serious ones was a ruptured heart valve in December 2006 (I knew the valve was faulty and was having regular check ups) and a growth in the arch of my right foot that will eventually need surgery (plantar fibromatosis). Hoping the body will hold up for another 10-15 years.

imoww
21-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I think Greenie suffers from menapause and Period pain

imoww
21-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Cant believe i found someone else who suffers from Cluster headaches.
I too.
I did allot of study on this.

Ask your Dr. for ISPOTIN.... get the 180ml.
Its a drug for heart patients but scientist found that it stops cluster headaches in their tracks.

I take one tablet daily before i go to bed. Ive never had an attack since i took my first one 5 years ago.
The tablets prevent any attack and build up your system to eliminate any attack.

I have suffered with cluster headaches for most of my adult life, but thankfully they seem to be less regular as I get older.

Usually for me, they start about Oct/Nov every year and I cop one every night for about 6 weeks. Wake at 1.30am with icepicks through the brain and just a blithering mess until about 3am when it dissipates as suddenly as it comes on.

When they were regular during the night they weren't such a problem with work except you are pretty shagged after 6 weeks of loss of sleep.

Last episode I had they changed the medication to prednisone, but dosage wasn't high enough to do any good. All it did was disrupt the regularity so I was getting the headaches any time of day or night.
Caffeine works for some sufferers(including me), so I'd go to work with a 6pack of Red Bulls and slug one down when I felt an attack starting. But that's only temporary relief. Seems like you have got to go through the full blown attack before it leaves you alone until tomorrow.

It's been 3 years since I had an episode, so hopefully they are a thing of the past for me.

Fred's mowing
21-10-2014, 06:42 PM
This is a good thread topic - no-one looks at it unless they are crook, (who wants to listen to someone whinge about what ails 'em ?) and then you find out how many struggle with health issues.

Moral of the story is = DON'T EVER GO TO THE DOCTORS !!!!!!

Had a cold/flu in July, 2nd hit in August for 4 weeks till mid Sept, fortnight fine and another cycle a couple of weeks ago. - Made a mistake and went to the doctors.
Umbilical hernia from all the coughing + Pneumonia he reckons - need some chest xrays to confirm.
xrays come back and I score the bonus prize = fractured vertebrae with 60% compression (yeah the back's always given me greif)

Bugger !

Agreed Arfa, some are brilliant, honest & ethical. Others are Quacks, dishonest & unethical.
How do you know if ya got a gooden ?
It really ****s ya when ya trust is betrayed!
Just this evening on the news they were advocating taking viagra as a blood pressure preventative :i dunno:
NLALM recently stated in a similar thread that 3 doctors have told him to give the game away, what do they think we're gunna do for a living ?
Instead of asking questions & making suggestions as to how he could possibly work around it.
I wouldn't condem the medical profession but, it sucks if you don't have confidence when you have serious medical issue's.
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
21-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Agreed Arfa, some are brilliant, honest & ethical. Others are Quacks, dishonest & unethical.
Just this evening on the news they were advocating taking viagra as a blood pressure preventative :i dunno:
NLALM recently stated in a similar thread that 3 doctors have told him to give the game away, what do they think we're gunna do for a living ?
Instead of asking questions & making suggestions as to how he could possibly work around it.
I wouldn't condem the medical profession but, it sucks if you don't have confidence when you have serious medical issue's.
Cheers Fred.

Oh, & I have no serious medical issues............ that I'm aware of.................. at this stage.
Its just that the older you get, the more paranoia sets in ! :big grin.
Cheers Fred.

edbeek
21-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Cant believe i found someone else who suffers from Cluster headaches.
I too.
I did allot of study on this.

They are buggers. I was on heaps of heavy duty drugs over the years, but the only drug that worked for me was Cafergot taken before sleep. But eventually, it wouldn't work either. Mostly, I'd brew up a big mug of strong coffee and a couple of Vincents powders and ride it out.

cadase
21-10-2014, 08:33 PM
i found after i cut a lawn i liked to drag my asss along the ground, then my wife gave me some worming tablets and a pat on the head.
Last month i went to the doctors for a big lump in my belly button, 'hernia' he says, we'll do some bloods he says, two weeks later, i'm on high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and thyroid meds, i actually said to him, you might as well get the glove out and finish the job off, no need he said the bloods come back ok

geoff
21-10-2014, 09:43 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: you a funny bastard cadase,love your work,thought you might have taken up the viagra offer for the crook heart

Arfa Brayne
22-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Cheers Fred.

Thanks for the get well wishes everyone.
Fred, the Doc's are pretty much like us I reckon (I was just trying to have a sarcastic laugh at the situation - no resentment to the medico's)
They do their best to solve your problems, some are good tradies, some not so good. In the end you just weigh up what they tell you and make your own call.
Customer call up and want you to get rid of their weeds with a quick weedspray - they don't understand why that is so difficult when you find onion weed and nutgrass amongst the roses.
I work for quite a few doctors and they're pretty good blokes/ladies.

Viagra as a blood pressure preventative 'eh ? Well I must admit the wife knows how to make me feel all calm and mellow, otherwise it's just somewhere new to hang the secateurs.

Cadase - a lot of that medication causes more problems than it fixes, just be carefull - Oh, and be carefull too when you are arse dragging on the lawn - bindies are starting to spike up this time of year and you'll get some funny looks when you're trying to pull them out.

hjl
28-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi Everyone
This is a good self help book for pain relief on lots of things.
The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook Third Edition by Clair Davies and Amber Davies.
It is good because it shows drawings of the sore spots then points on where to rub to make them feel better. Hope this helps.

Cheers
hjl

South East Mowing
23-11-2014, 10:14 AM
9.25 hours on a brush cutter last Friday and anything that may help relieve the tension and tightness can only help. And less than a visit to the chiro

Bluey
24-11-2014, 04:14 PM
My soon to be daughter in law is Taiwanese. Trained in sports massage. She is only small but is super strong and gives the best massage. Pity they are going to live in Tassie soon

troppo
24-11-2014, 06:04 PM
There's a product that I have been put onto that's called Basica and found it to be very helpful (sports drink) - $40 from the naturopath or $34 from The Chemist Wharehouse. Another one is called Body Balance made by Lifeforce and $38 from the naturopath. 60ml per day and tastes nice. I really like the Body Balance as it gives me heaps of energy and has so many natural goodies in it.

NLALM
07-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Any one had carpel tunnel ??????

steveo
07-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I have. Got a test done using a tens machine. I got a cortisone injection. Came good on its own.

Redeye
07-03-2015, 07:38 PM
I washed my ute today....should I see a doctor?

seliment
07-03-2015, 08:15 PM

Quack ... Nah! Shrink ... Maybe.
Licensed victualler .. Most definitely! :)

Macka
08-03-2015, 03:35 AM

No but I did have all the signs numbness in my fingers and sore elbows and I went to the doctor and he spoke about carpel tunnel he said loosen your grip will help. I did a alot of changes, new blower and anti vibed all my equipment and I wear tennis elbow straps to help reduce my grip strength. It worked.....

I just put up a post about it to Tim a newbie asking for advice on the forums, http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?12755-Greetings-from-Sydney&p=142160&viewfull=1#post142160

steveo
08-03-2015, 06:00 AM

Only if pain persists

steveo
08-03-2015, 06:06 AM
No but I did have all the signs numbness in my fingers and sore elbows and I went to the doctor and he spoke about carpel tunnel he said loosen your grip will help. I did a alot of changes, new blower and anti vibed all my equipment and I wear tennis elbow straps to help reduce my grip strength. It worked.....

I just put up a post about it to Tim a newbie asking for advice on the forums, http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?12755-Greetings-from-Sydney&p=142160&viewfull=1#post142160

Oh yeah, also saw a physio, they got me to use that tennis elbow strap stuff and it worked, agree with Macka, go low vibe where possible. Vibration kills engines, machines, houses and it will most definitely stuff your wrists cause they are first point of contact. Try and keep your wrists straight, have rest stops etc etc, it's the little things that can help.

GardeningSolutions
08-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Yes. Slowed down on work for 3 months and it fixed itself. It was pretty bad, had no feeling in my lefthand fingers. Doctors said it was pointless operating given my occupation and hobbies as it would possibly happen again. Hasn't come back yet but I use all anti vibe equipment now.

NLALM
08-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah I have this weird nerve type pain in my left hand, I know its from the tools, but as the older guys know I am big on the anti vibe because of my wrists, so there is not much I can do. Might see a quack

Macka
08-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Yeah I have this weird nerve type pain in my left hand, I know its from the tools, but as the older guys know I am big on the anti vibe because of my wrists, so there is not much I can do. Might see a quack

also, try the tennis eldow straps reducing your grip strength can only help.

NLALM
08-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah I know about the old tennis elbow too. I had it that bad I was booked in to have it operated on, then I fell off a ladder and broke both my wrists, I as off work for so long that the tennis elbow got better...My hands are still rooted from the fall especially my left one which was smashed, maybe that has something to do with the new nerve pain.. but I'm FIIK

m287j
09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Good information here, I've been seeing a few signs of tennis elbow here lately so I think I'll pop on the anti vibration gloves I bought and go back to wearing the elbow strap.

RSM-Gazza
12-04-2015, 07:56 PM

My wife had it in both wrists. Had both hands operated on at the same time in Dec 2013.

Good as gold now and she is so glad it was done. I had to step up at the time with having two hands out of action for home duties and personal care.

RSM-Gazza
12-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Good information here, I've been seeing a few signs of tennis elbow here lately so I think I'll pop on the anti vibration gloves I bought and go back to wearing the elbow strap.

Matt,

May I ask, what symptoms are you experiencing re the tennis elbow comment.
I'm having problems in my right shoulder down to the elbow and I've dropped a lot of work of late and having some more time off. But the shoulder and arm is not improving and getting weaker.
May see a doctor soon or see my wife's excellent Naturopath. Hoping the work I'm dropping along with the winter slow down improves things. But I've had most of a week and half off with zero improvement, actually getting worse.

Thanks

geoff
12-04-2015, 08:23 PM
our age is showing Gaz being 60 this year and having more work than in my near 30 years of being in the business ....always a niggle of pain in the morning as i start but loosen up luckily as the day goes on..have been fortunate that the joints have held up so far but to have pain even after rest would be frustrating especially when you love the job... Gaz ....good luck mate and get it checked out by the very best as i am sure you will

RSM-Gazza
12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
our age is showing Gaz being 60 this year and having more work than in my near 30 years of being in the business ....always a niggle of pain in the morning as i start but loosen up luckily as the day goes on..have been fortunate that the joints have held up so far but to have pain even after rest would be frustrating especially when you love the job... Gaz ....good luck mate and get it checked out by the very best as i am sure you will

Yep, I'm 56 and 57 in October, having trouble sleeping with the arms weight when laying horizontal, better when standing but in constant pain with sharp jabs of pain often 24/7. Whilst Ok to pull the starter cord on the down drop blower/whipper, the Honda mower is a challenge.

Not doing ladder work and or any extended hedger work. Did three jobs only the week gone to help out. Reducing work this week too, but will make an appointment with my wife's Naturo this week for massage and opinion. Wife has been going to this naturo since 1987 and me only every five yrs.

May have to rebuild my customer base a little next September, just lucky I can afford to ease off work as I please.

BSD
12-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Arthritus, get worse as you get older, Both arms with a workplace injury to really stuff the right arm up.

djkgrounds
12-04-2015, 10:49 PM
I have Calcific Tendonitis in both my shoulders, Right arm being the worse, some days i'm struggling to lift things up and get sharp pins and needles down into my hands, and i only just turned 33 today lol. got some work to catch up with you guys lol

steveo
13-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Matt,

I'm having problems in my right shoulder down to the elbow and I've dropped a lot of work of late and having some more time off. But the shoulder and arm is not improving and getting weaker.
May see a doctor soon or see my wife's excellent Naturopath. Hoping the work I'm dropping along with the winter slow down improves things. But I've had most of a week and half off with zero improvement, actually getting worse.

Thanks

Not sure if anyone replied to you about tennis elbow symptons. The way i would describe it is constant deep muscle soreness in the forearm just below the elbow, can be brought by something as simple as a keyboard or spinning a lure while fishing. It's not pins and needles. Well I don't think it is.

RSM-Gazza
13-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Not sure if anyone replied to you about tennis elbow symptons. The way i would describe it is constant deep muscle soreness in the forearm just below the elbow, can be brought by something as simple as a keyboard or spinning a lure while fishing. It's not pins and needles. Well I don't think it is.
Thanks for that description.

Just finished a job a few streets away and dropped into home to take my wife to work.(she stacked her car the other week). So logged on.

Spent some time with Doctor Google last night and everything matches "Rotator Cuff " tearing of the muscles.
Just taking it easy and working at a non stressed pace, glad we are progressing into the slow down period. Also happy that 2 solid days of rain is forecast later this week. More time off to be had.
During winter we are going to head north for a few weeks in the van, so some relaxing times ahead.
Normally in March I take on extra regulars to increase the work over winter, but this year I knocked back every new caller back as I knew the arm was playing up. Plus wanted a brief work slow down.

We mostly all have our little body health issues and doing this work can be prone to muscle injuries just waiting to happen or even worse stuff.
Great to talk about it and read other experiences and opinions.

m287j
13-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Matt,

Thanks

Garry,

In my case its been muscle soreness in the forearm elbow area, sometimes it gets so bad I struggle to lift a newspaper for example without pain in the arm.
It comes and goes for me, it's been fine the last month but I notice prolonged periods of hedging or whipper snipping set it off.
Rest is the best prevention is what I'm noticing.

Scooby Steve
14-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks for that description.

Just finished a job a few streets away and dropped into home to take my wife to work.(she stacked her car the other week). So logged on.

Spent some time with Doctor Google last night and everything matches "Rotator Cuff " tearing of the muscles.
Just taking it easy and working at a non stressed pace, glad we are progressing into the slow down period. Also happy that 2 solid days of rain is forecast later this week. More time off to be had.
During winter we are going to head north for a few weeks in the van, so some relaxing times ahead.
Normally in March I take on extra regulars to increase the work over winter, but this year I knocked back every new caller back as I knew the arm was playing up. Plus wanted a brief work slow down.

We mostly all have our little body health issues and doing this work can be prone to muscle injuries just waiting to happen or even worse stuff.
Great to talk about it and read other experiences and opinions.

Did a lot of weight lifting when i was young so i've had my share of rotator cuff issues, don't muck around with this as they can get to a stage where you won't be able to lift a pencil over your head, i'm serious it can get that bad. If you don't treat it early the muscle can pinch and swell which makes it much worse as the swollen muscle has no where to go when the bones of the shoulder girdle lift up, which then pinches again causing more swelling and more pain. For anyone with rotator cuff issues go see a good physio who will give you anti-inflammatories to bring the swelling down, they'll recommend the heat and ice thing depending on where its at, then they'll give you exercises to strengthen the area when its on the mend. Limit over head work for a while if you can.

DavidS
15-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Ok Garry it sounds like what I had, need to see Dr who will send you for a ultrasound on the shoulder which should show up a tear in the ligament. I had a 12mm full depth tear in my left shoulder. Had it operated on 3 weeks ago, still got another 15days in a sling, then a few more weeks of physio before I can use it again. All told approx 3 months off work it will involve, I struggled for a few years but once I sold my business I decided to get it done. Worst part is the sleeping with arm in a sling, gives me the s##ts but it is now on the mend. First week is probably the worst for pain, the first couple of days was fine, they put in a morphine pump and tank which was held in my sling, this started to stop after 48 hrs and it did hurt, luck Dr who removed my pump gave me a script for pain killers. Have a few exercises to do 3 to 4 times a day to keep movement in shoulder. The trick is to heat shoulder with heat pack before exercises and then hit the shoulder with a cold pack straight after to contain any swelling, hospital Physio told me that trick, the physio who setup my exercises never mentioned heat and cold.
Just gotta control the STIR CRAZY symptons, not being able to do anything SUCKS.

Scooby Steve
15-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I got through mine without surgery luckily. Mine were at a stage where i couldn't lift a pencil above shoulder height. Found a good physio, did the exercises and took the meds, hot and cold packs and thankfully while its still not 100%, it's close. Can't do certain weight lifting exercises but work is fine, thankfully.

imoww
15-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Yeah I know about the old tennis elbow too. I had it that bad I was booked in to have it operated on, then I fell off a ladder and broke both my wrists, I as off work for so long that the tennis elbow got better...My hands are still rooted from the fall especially my left one which was smashed, maybe that has something to do with the new nerve pain.. but I'm FIIK

How you going with the broken wrists?
Mine has healed well. bit limited on full movement tho.Ive left the pins plates etc in too

NLALM
15-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Mate my left one is the worst, limited movement, not to bad just noticeable. I still have the plate and seven screws in it, which I am thinking of having removed , I am getting bad pain in it for the last couple of months. Not bad I suppose, they told me to give my work away when I did it and I am still going, but only just. I spent yesterday in Sydney seeing another quack about my hip, this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, it looks like I will have to give it away, as there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel

imoww
16-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Same then. Just thought id ask, did you do all the exercises they got us to do? I did half them - and kept working one handed. 2 weeks after the opp
So whats wrong with the hip?

Mate my left one is the worst, limited movement, not to bad just noticeable. I still have the plate and seven screws in it, which I am thinking of having removed , I am getting bad pain in it for the last couple of months. Not bad I suppose, they told me to give my work away when I did it and I am still going, but only just. I spent yesterday in Sydney seeing another quack about my hip, this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, it looks like I will have to give it away, as there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel

DavidS
16-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Thats where it sucks as I went and saw a Physio and they told me they could do nothing, I should have gone and seen more of them.

NLALM
16-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Same then. Just thought id ask, did you do all the exercises they got us to do? I did half them - and kept working one handed. 2 weeks after the opp
So whats wrong with the hip?

I tore the cartilage in my left hip joint about 5 years ago. I have had 2 operations on it, and 1 on my right hip. But I have constant pain in my left one, nothing takes the pain away, and the doctors don't know what to do, as my scans show that my joint is ok. Talk about farked up, some days I wish I wasn't here.

Macka
17-04-2015, 08:25 AM
I tore the cartilage in my left hip joint about 5 years ago. I have had 2 operations on it, and 1 on my right hip. But I have constant pain in my left one, nothing takes the pain away, and the doctors don't know what to do, as my scans show that my joint is ok. Talk about farked up, some days I wish I wasn't here.

might be your lower back, I had hip pain for years because of a back issue, It maybe only a small nagging pain but it was relentless, I know what your talking about "some day I wish I wasn't here" Not knowing was the problem once i knew the cause it wasn't as bad and i could manage it better.

My Disk is split so i leaks onto the nerves and causes acks further down, leg, hip etc

You could talk to your Dr about a MRI scan on your lower back.

Bluey
17-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Jeez.....I am gonna need a few more bullets by the looks of things

troppo
17-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Macka has a valid point. Went waterskiing 3 weeks ago for the first time in over 20 yrs and ended up with aching pain in the back of my left knee. Got slowly better over a week but never healed fully, so went to the Chiropractor. All good now as the lower back being out of align/muscles pulling unevenly was the culprit. Have had many aches and pains fixed from a visit to the chiro over the years, but would not say that all chiros are good. Took me years to find a decent one.

NLALM
17-04-2015, 06:55 PM
might be your lower back, I had hip pain for years because of a back issue, It maybe only a small nagging pain but it was relentless, I know what your talking about "some day I wish I wasn't here" Not knowing was the problem once i knew the cause it wasn't as bad and i could manage it better.

My Disk is split so i leaks onto the nerves and causes acks further down, leg, hip etc

You could talk to your Dr about a MRI scan on your lower back.

Yes That is part of my problem, and I have been told I have a leaking disc too. I have been seeing the right people and it seems things might be turning around. Macka what gives you relief when you get that constant pain?

Macka
17-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Yes That is part of my problem, and I have been told I have a leaking disc too. I have been seeing the right people and it seems things might be turning around. Macka what gives you relief when you get that constant pain?

Voltaren Suppositories 100mg, there are the best inflammation for the lower back, HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRYING THEM. I couldn't do this job without these buggers when thing get sore.

Tramadol HCI 50mg Slow Release: for the pain, stops all pain and doesn't make you constipated like Codeine based pain killers.

Movalis 7.5mg tablets: Antin-fame and arthritis.

If im really sore I :
Pop in 1 Voltaren before bed
Take 2 x Tramadol and a 2 x Movalis in the morning with breakfast

DavidS
20-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Just beaware that you might be stuffing your kidneys and liver taking all those. Also might give your self a stomach bleed with those Movalis.

PaulG
22-04-2015, 01:32 AM
We're a sad and sorry bunch aren't we... I'm spending a lot of time considering and reconsidering everything at the moment too. Spent some time in hospital again recently for an undiagnosed infection/fever/virus which was being suppressed by the medication for my Crohn's disease. Also only sleeping a few hours a night and catching up with naps where I can due the extreme and worsening pain in my left hip. I give myself maybe 12 to 18 months left in this game. Lot of time now spent thinking how to afford a hip replacement operation and how I'm going to continue to keep providing for my young family into the future...

DavidS
20-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Paul, can't you get onto the public hospital hip replacement list. Your Dr just needs to give you a referal to the Fracture Clinic. My wife who is a bit older than you is on the list at Dubbo Hospital, costs nothing. If you got on the list now maybe by the time you have to give up working you can get a new hip.
I know it's mainly older people who get hip replacements but if your Dr has sent for for all the xrays and CT scans and you hip is buggered then you should be able to go on the waiting list for a free one.

Macka
20-08-2015, 07:52 PM
We're a sad and sorry bunch aren't we... I'm spending a lot of time considering and reconsidering everything at the moment too. Spent some time in hospital again recently for an undiagnosed infection/fever/virus which was being suppressed by the medication for my Crohn's disease. Also only sleeping a few hours a night and catching up with naps where I can due the extreme and worsening pain in my left hip. I give myself maybe 12 to 18 months left in this game. Lot of time now spent thinking how to afford a hip replacement operation and how I'm going to continue to keep providing for my young family into the future...

maybe less money and more time with the family will make your life richer.

steveo
21-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Life aint no fun when your in pain. Hope your going ok PaulG.

South East Mowing
08-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Ok have any of you old bahhhhst***s have any arthritis issues? If you do what seems to help or work for you? Where is it?

Was told today I have moderate to severe OA in my hands. Got to see a specialist for complete checkup with more tests ordered for other things going on.

Redeye
08-02-2016, 08:49 PM
yep - in my hands is the worst for me pain-wise

BeetleJuice
08-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Go down to your local chemist and get Theracurmin BioActive 300mg,it will take anywhere 4-6 weeks to kick in then come back and tell use how great it is.

https://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product/preview/Theracurmin-BioActive-300mg

kevinsuzanne
11-02-2016, 12:43 PM
ls it good for joint pain in elbows etc .
anyway will give it a shot

BeetleJuice
11-02-2016, 01:00 PM
I said 4-6 weeks it's actually from 2 to 4 weeks as everyone will feel the affects at different times.I don't use it but my wife does and she has tried various products that sort of work but this Theracurmin BioActive shows great results.Talk to the local chemist and they will fill you in with any info you may need

VJinTownsville
18-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Probably a bit too much info here... but I strained myself too hard when doing the jiggy jig a couple of weeks ago and ended up blowing up blood vessels... now its turned into a full blown haemorrhoid and its damn painful when you have 40-50 odd yards a week to do. I've gotta find a way to sustain myself and my business even if I'm thrown out of action for a few weeks.

But on the lucky side, I'm in Bali to recover because if I am at home I'd be more compelled to do jobs that would make me worse and prolong downtime.

Fred's mowing
18-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Strewth !!!!!
I usually tell the misses that I bust my arse for her.
But you've taken it to a HOLE new level :eyes:
Cheers Fred.

geoff
18-02-2016, 07:59 PM
i think i will just strum me uke lol this too much for an old fcker like me Fred

Redeye
18-02-2016, 10:23 PM
... but I strained myself too hard when doing the jiggy jig a couple of weeks ago and ended up blowing up blood vessels...

you're doing it wrong :help:

Mick
19-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Aaaaaand...................... Not touching that one!:scared

BSD
19-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Just wondering......giving or receiving??? , not that it matters to me, but I think you blokes need to know once and for all.:david

imoww
13-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Don't know why, but 2 days ago I woke up with a really saw front hip muscle..
Can't remember any accident or slip etc.
Starting to walk now. It was the front flexor hip muscle and seems like I've pulled it.
Bloody painful because how often it's used just to walk.
Anyone had the same thing?
Surely it's not from the way I was seelping

AJD Mowing
13-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Yes me Mat, the physio got me doing a stretch exercise that worked for me. Kneel down with one leg out in front with your back straight and your hips straight not twisted and lean forward and stretch it out then do the other side if its that you will feel it as you do it. If its that it will hurt but feel good at the same time if that makes sense lol

imoww
13-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks Deanill give it a try. Did your Physio say its from an injury or what ever?

Mow And Go
13-03-2016, 12:07 PM
RSI from last weekend is my bet imoww :shifty

kevinsuzanne
13-03-2016, 02:55 PM
I said 4-6 weeks it's actually from 2 to 4 weeks as everyone will feel the affects at different times.I don't use it but my wife does and she has tried various products that sort of work but this Theracurmin BioActive shows great results.Talk to the local chemist and they will fill you in with any info you may need

thankyou so much

BeetleJuice
13-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Good to hear that we have another satisfied user

m287j
13-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Don't know why, but 2 days ago I woke up with a really saw front hip muscle..
Can't remember any accident or slip etc.
Starting to walk now. It was the front flexor hip muscle and seems like I've pulled it.
Bloody painful because how often it's used just to walk.
Anyone had the same thing?
Surely it's not from the way I was seelping

Considering you where probably at Mardi Gras I'd be surprised if you didn't have a sore backside as well. :)

imoww
14-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Considering you where probably at Mardi Gras I'd be surprised if you didn't have a sore backside as well. :)
Lol... Matt.. Sounds like It was the wrong Matt who enjoyed the Mardi Gras.

AJD Mowing
14-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks Deanill give it a try. Did your Physio say its from an injury or what ever?
Too much humpy pumpy lol nah but I think it was from walking backwards with the whippy, I dont do that anymore I walk forwards. Man was not meant to spend all day walking backwards.. Not sure if it was that but its all gone now. :)

m287j
05-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Broke a bone in my wrist last week :doh Right arm and wrist in plaster for 6 to 8 weeks, thankfully it's winter time now but still it's proving to be a major drama.

Mow And Go
05-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Goes with the name Matt :wave-hi:

Scooby Steve
22-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Go down to your local chemist and get Theracurmin BioActive 300mg,it will take anywhere 4-6 weeks to kick in then come back and tell use how great it is.

https://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product/preview/Theracurmin-BioActive-300mg

Just watch your kidneys with this. Just because its got natural ingredients doesn't make it safe. Also if you are taking any other medicines or supplements do a google search to see if it interacts with anything. It works but do your homework especially for long term use.

BeetleJuice
22-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Theracurmin BioActive
I don't take this,my wife does.Thanks for the tip anyway..

steveo
23-06-2016, 10:02 AM
the old timers might remember years ago, that the vitamin industry got found out to be full of frauds and con artists. Half the stuff said was in the bottle wasn't and who knows what they were putting in there. Everything went quite for a while then along came swiss and bombarded the market with high profile ads and now everyone is where they were years ago. Stick with meat and 3 veg and drink water from the tap. I'm not saying it's all rubbish but buyer beware.

BeetleJuice
23-06-2016, 10:51 AM
the old timers might remember years ago, that the vitamin industry got found out to be full of frauds and con artists. Half the stuff said was in the bottle wasn't and who knows what they were putting in there. Everything went quite for a while then along came swiss and bombarded the market with high profile ads and now everyone is where they were years ago. Stick with meat and 3 veg and drink water from the tap. I'm not saying it's all rubbish but buyer beware.

Just like when coke was released as a tonic.
If only these youngins knew how good coke-a-cola tasted before they changed the formula back in 83,tastes like crap now.Most of us refused to drink it after that and went to Pepsi

BeetleJuice
23-06-2016, 02:15 PM
If anyone is interested in this product..Theracurmin BioActive
http://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/arthritis-remedy

NLALM
23-06-2016, 03:55 PM
google borax for bones

Arfa Brayne
23-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Stick with meat and 3 veg and drink water from the tap. I'm not saying it's all rubbish but buyer beware.

Spot on Steve. Good to have a feed of fish at least once a week too.

The coke isn't the same as it was BJ, but I reckon the Cadbury chocky is the worst.
When you think about Vegemite, Arnotts, IXL, Golden circle and all the other Aussie companies who have been sold out and quality ruined it's a real shame.

Scooby Steve
23-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Theracurmin BioActive
I don't take this,my wife does.Thanks for the tip anyway..

Kidney stones, can cause gall bladder problems, stomach upset. From the bottle i've got it says up to 2 a day but i come a buster on that, kidneys stone, yep that hurt wouldn't recommend that. One of the most painful things i've experienced and i barracked for Fitzroy (old AFL team for those interstate) so that's saying something. Just be careful and pay attention to what your body tells you. I was on it for 12 months before the kidney pain started.

Your diet can play a big part in easing aches and pains if you are willing to make the change.

Sugar, cutting it out altogether or reducing it substantially really helps with inflammatory problems, easier said than done though that's an addictive substance that one. My achilles heal.

BeetleJuice
23-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Kidney stones, can cause gall bladder problems, stomach upset. From the bottle i've got it says up to 2 a day but i come a buster on that, kidneys stone, yep that hurt wouldn't recommend that. One of the most painful things i've experienced and i barracked for Fitzroy (old AFL team for those interstate) so that's saying something. Just be careful and pay attention to what your body tells you. I was on it for 12 months before the kidney pain started.

Your diet can play a big part in easing aches and pains if you are willing to make the change.

Sugar, cutting it out altogether or reducing it substantially really helps with inflammatory problems, easier said than done though that's an addictive substance that one. My achilles heal.

I had kidney stones but i've never taken Theracurmin BioActive
If one is in pain and can find something to ease it then that's what you do for arthritis,not every one gets side effects

South East Mowing
23-06-2016, 11:09 PM

Sugar is a critical part of the problem. You have to understand and limit the inflammation mediators and also feed the body with good basic nutritional food.
Inflammation can apparently start so many diseases and our modern diet influenced so much by our American friends ( and companies/bodies that have hijacked the people who influence these things)
Got 50 years of bad habits and also dietary habits taught to me to fix.
Have started and thrown out the low fat diet and also the food pyramid taught to us.
Only time will tell but with diabetes all through the family and the last couple of years results leading down that path things have improved dramatically with my changed diet.
I am taking theracurmin but also a few other things that are natural and have been discussed with my doc ( who has no real idea) also change brands of Curcummin

steveo
24-06-2016, 04:25 PM
I reckon people aim too high. There is no point aiming to cut out all sugar or all salt or all alcohol (if you drink). Your body needs some sugar and salt and if you like a drink or smoke try and cut back on it as you get older. Moderation. The trouble with the processed food we get lumped with these days is that it is full of sugar and salt. Better quality non-processed food is more than likely better for your health. Cutting things out altogether in one go probably does you some damage anyway. Mind you I don't necessarily practice what i preach. Mmmm this beer tastes good.

South East Mowing
24-06-2016, 05:29 PM
I reckon people aim too high. There is no point aiming to cut out all sugar or all salt or all alcohol (if you drink). Your body needs some sugar and salt and if you like a drink or smoke try and cut back on it as you get older. Moderation. The trouble with the processed food we get lumped with these days is that it is full of sugar and salt. Better quality non-processed food is more than likely better for your health. Cutting things out altogether in one go probably does you some damage anyway. Mind you I don't necessarily practice what i preach. Mmmm this beer tastes good.

Have not cut it out completely. Almost impossible to do if you eat anything slightly processes, canned, bottled, baked, packaged, milk, etc etc
Just reduced it dramatically, putting less processed **** in the mouth with more basic food. Less nett carbs, less meat especially red. Much from the markets, fresh, grass fed beef etc
Body is still adjusting, nothing too bad but I have still only really started as I still often eat what is convenient = usually sugar, carbs, other ****!

South East Mowing
24-06-2016, 05:33 PM
google borax for bones

and other things +1 !!

steveo
24-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Have not cut it out completely. Almost impossible to do if you eat anything slightly processes, canned, bottled, baked, packaged, milk, etc etc
Just reduced it dramatically, putting less processed **** in the mouth with more basic food. Less nett carbs, less meat especially red. Much from the markets, fresh, grass fed beef etc
Body is still adjusting, nothing too bad but I have still only really started as I still often eat what is convenient = usually sugar, carbs, other ****!

sorry mate, wasn't specifically replying to you, was just a general comment.

South East Mowing
24-06-2016, 09:03 PM
sorry mate, wasn't specifically replying to you, was just a general comment.

Alls good. . .

Scooby Steve
26-06-2016, 06:22 PM
I had kidney stones but i've never taken Theracurmin BioActive
If one is in pain and can find something to ease it then that's what you do for arthritis,not every one gets side effects

You got shares in it mate? ;)

True not everyone gets side effects but some do. Just putting it out there. A lot of supplements have side effects long term you just need to be informed of what they are and pay attention to your body while you are taking them and make adjustments as you go. That's all i was doing, informing people so they can be aware of what can go wrong. People often think natural supplements are safe but in some cases they are not and they can interact with medicines so you need to do your homework.

It was that stuff that did it, its a documented side effect of it. I've never had kidney stones before and it's not in my family so it came out of the blue. It starts off with very mild flank pain (pain in your side), after a month of the mild flank pain it ended up with extreme pain until the stone passes. Now i'm off it i've had no problems since, no flank pain no stones.

Changing your diet also works but isn't as simple as popping a pill or in this case a yellow capsule.

troppo
26-06-2016, 06:35 PM
I go to an iridologist/naturopath and a lot of my problems have been solved by a change of diet (more of these and none of those), with a dose of supplements to help build up what I am lacking. My biggest problem is too much sugar in the form of a few beers or more after work.

Scooby Steve
26-06-2016, 06:40 PM
I go to an iridologist/naturopath and a lot of my problems have been solved by a change of diet (more of these and none of those), with a dose of supplements to help build up what I am lacking. My biggest problem is too much sugar in the form of a few beers or more after work.

You are breaking my heart Troppo not the beer!!! All jokes aside it is something i have drastically reduced. Doesn't hurt me much over winter but summer stings. Was thinking of trying gluten free beer this summer to see if i can get away with that. Do you think its the sugar in the beer, the wheat or gluten? The other two for some people can be just as big an issue as sugar. I'm trying red wine at the moment in moderation and its going down a treat.

steveo
27-06-2016, 08:04 AM
You are breaking my heart Troppo not the beer!!! All jokes aside it is something i have drastically reduced. Doesn't hurt me much over winter but summer stings. Was thinking of trying gluten free beer this summer to see if i can get away with that. Do you think its the sugar in the beer, the wheat or gluten? The other two for some people can be just as big an issue as sugar. I'm trying red wine at the moment in moderation and its going down a treat.

even pure alchohol is high in calories. Nothings good for you. Even breathing. Death and Taxes mate, that's the only certainty.

troppo
27-06-2016, 12:35 PM

She reckons the sugar is bad for me, but a few each day is OK. None would be better, but up here I'd go troppo without my coldies.

Scooby Steve
27-06-2016, 06:40 PM
She reckons the sugar is bad for me, but a few each day is OK. None would be better, but up here I'd go troppo without my coldies.

Would go down a treat to i reckon (( :

South East Mowing
19-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Went to see a specialist after having quite a few x-rays, mri's etc on back, hips .

Explained I have been doing it over 20 yrs and my fitbit says I do 20000+ steps a day on average to busy days- up to 30000 steps on really busy days when I walk the dog also.

Told by the specialist due to a couple of things they noticed and the wear on my hips that I should really look for an office job:help. If not I will be seeing him again and probably to organise a replacememnt:wtf. Back off drastically and get some more years out of it!!!!

NLALM
20-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Mate I had my left hip replaced in November last year, I was in hospital for one night, I mowed my back yard 2 weeks after it, and was back at work in 6 weeks. It not as bad as what some people think. Are you getting much pain?

South East Mowing
20-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Mate I had my left hip replaced in November last year, I was in hospital for one night, I mowed my back yard 2 weeks after it, and was back at work in 6 weeks. It not as bad as what some people think. Are you getting much pain?

Great to see it has worked out for you.

Not a lot of pain at present, but I have some weaknesses, minor deformities in the right hip. With the general wear & tear & arthritis if it does wear into a couple of particular spots I may go from walking with little pain to immediate excrutiating pain. An immediate replacement following that..
That was worst case scenario - it may take a long time but I could not get that part out of him.

Just advised to back off heaps, get an employee, or get an office job.

We have a couple of other issues in play with a tear in the gluteus minimus, minor tear gluteus medius

Scooby Steve
21-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Great to see it has worked out for you.

Not a lot of pain at present, but I have some weaknesses, minor deformities in the right hip. With the general wear & tear & arthritis if it does wear into a couple of particular spots I may go from walking with little pain to immediate excrutiating pain. An immediate replacement following that..
That was worst case scenario - it may take a long time but I could not get that part out of him.

Just advised to back off heaps, get an employee, or get an office job.

We have a couple of other issues in play with a tear in the gluteus minimus, minor tear gluteus medius

Toughen up princess could be worse (( : i say that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, i was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis at the ripe of age of 13, an auto immune disease that fuses the hips, spine and neck, on top on top of that 2 years ago i was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis another auto immune disease that makes the first one look like a walk in the park. Moral of the story don't let these things hold you back. Going forward you have to be smarter with the way you operate, look after your body, heed the warning signs and enjoy life, it ain't all about work but i'm guessing you would have sussed those things out by now. Plenty of pain relieve type stuff that can help you get through the day.

Bluey
22-07-2016, 07:56 AM

I have a very good frwend in Rwome called Gluteus Minimus....

South East Mowing
29-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Toughen up princess could be worse (( : i say that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, i was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis at the ripe of age of 13, an auto immune disease that fuses the hips, spine and neck, on top on top of that 2 years ago i was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis another auto immune disease that makes the first one look like a walk in the park. Moral of the story don't let these things hold you back. Going forward you have to be smarter with the way you operate, look after your body, heed the warning signs and enjoy life, it ain't all about work but i'm guessing you would have sussed those things out by now. Plenty of pain relieve type stuff that can help you get through the day.

Thanks Mary!!!:marilyn

South East Mowing
29-07-2016, 02:32 PM
I have a very good frwend in Rwome called Gluteus Minimus....

I noticed you replied to this in the morning Bluey!! How many reds at what time of the day??

Bluey
30-07-2016, 09:22 AM
I noticed you replied to this in the morning Bluey!! How many reds at what time of the day??

Lol...was raining and I was sober

Andy B
04-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Sitting on a ride on all day is not what the doctor says is an office job john. :P

BSD
04-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Effing flu, hit me bad this time, 3-5 weeks and its just started to fade away, next April I'm in for the vaccine this time. Downed tools and the thing just kept on hammering away, antibiotics correct the infection but not the virus. Energy drained and lethargic for ages. Being an older bloke it tends to knock you about.

South East Mowing
15-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Effing flu, hit me bad this time, 3-5 weeks and its just started to fade away, next April I'm in for the vaccine this time. Downed tools and the thing just kept on hammering away, antibiotics correct the infection but not the virus. Energy drained and lethargic for ages. Being an older bloke it tends to knock you about.

Didnt get the Flu, but a virus early in winter. Get the flu shot every year so keep that away but the virus knocked me around and just hung around for a month. Know the feeling BSD, hope you are over it soon