PDA

View Full Version : Chokos

mowjoman
12-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I LOVE CHOKOS!!! Used to have a vine but ripped it down because I'm the only one that eats the buggers so they were coming outa my ears. Best way I know of (actually the only way I know of to eat em) is steamed with a knob of butter and pepper.

Does anybody have any you beaut recipes for chokos?? Perhaps one that will entice the wife and killyblids to harden up? :rolleyes:

I've been tempted to make an "apple pie" with cinnimon with em to see if they can tell the difference. :ebony:

Islandhead
12-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I've never tried them but there are 5 choko recipies on this site:

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=choko

and some choko info and cooking ideas on this one:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/recipes/chokoes/2006/01/30/1138590426566.html

Mrs HMS
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Here's a few things I found. But I have never tried any of them so can't vouch for how good or otherwise they are.

Stir-fried chokoes

Peel them, remove the seed, slice them and then stir-fry them, as follows:

Stir-fry in olive oil with garlic and chopped parsley, then add a splash of balsamic vinegar at the last minute. Serve with meat, fish or chicken.

or

Stir-fry in sesame oil with garlic, ginger, chilli, chicken and any other vegetables you like. Add a dash of lime juice and some salt-reduced soy sauce.

Choko relish

Ingredients

2 kilos chokoes, peeled and finely chopped
750g white sugar
2 apples, peeled and diced
2 large white onions, finely diced
400g dates, pitted and chopped
250g glaccé ginger, chopped
650ml white vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

Method

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
(Note: Don't use a reactive saucepan such as aluminium, or the flavours will spoil.)

Turn on the heat and cook gently for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent the relish sticking.
Bottle in sterilised jars.
Serve with your favourite meat.

Apparently TV chef Geoff Jansz likes this choko chutney with grilled sausages or roast beef sandwiches.

Greek Choko soup

Ingredients

3 chokoes, sliced
1 litre water
1 onion, diced
3 rashers bacon, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
olive oil
1 can peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 chicken stock cubes
basil
oregano
juice 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sugar

Method

In a large pot boil sliced chokoes in 1 litre of water.
While the chokoes are cooking, heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the diced onion, chopped bacon and garlic. Fry until the bacon is cooked and put to one side.

When the chokoes are tender, retain cooking water and chokoes in pot and add the cooked onion, bacon and garlic along with the remainder of the ingredients. Simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and mash or blend the chokoes to a thick puree.

Serve garnished with chopped olives, parmesan cheese and ground pepper and salt to taste

glassngrass
12-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Stir fried chokos sound great. Thanks Joanne, hope to try this weekend.

mowjoman
13-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm.....

Thanks guys.
Might just have another spot on the back fence for another vine I reckon.

administrator
13-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Never heard of Chokos very interesting veg

haireyscarie
13-11-2008, 10:48 AM
bake them with your sunday roast
love em with the baked spuds and onion's

haireyscarie
13-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Never heard of Chokos very interesting veg
you might no as cheap can pairs
LMFAO :laughing: :laughing:

Bgs
13-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I remember when Burkes backyard was on he challenged viewers to make chokos edible as he thought they were unpalatable, any way a lady cooked them up for him and said the tasted ok but payed for it by being stuck to the bowl the next day as it tore him a new one.

Haven't been game to try them since seeing that :laughing: :laughing: I will have to give them ago.

mowjoman
13-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Was telling nieghbour bout this choko thing....She reckons peel and halve em and stick in ya corned beef water.
Corned beef for tea Sunday night.....
The thing I like about them is that they will absorb any flavour you cook them with, and when you bite in theres a party in ya mouth :p
Hey scary I believe that to be true ay...Tinned pears mate.....chokos.