PDA

View Full Version : Occupational Health and Safety fines

administrator
14-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Did you know?
- There are over 5000 pieces of legislation in this country that carry
with them provisions for civil penalties?
- Civil penalties can easily ruin a business.
- Occupational Health and Safety fines can be as high as $550,000
for a business.
- Environmental fines can be in excess of $1,000,000.
The Facts
Most Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies exclude cover for fines
and penalties.

You need to ensure that your entire business is covered against potential
statutory fines and penalties. Big civil fines are imposed by Governments for
non-compliance in wide ranging areas of law, from Environmental Law to
Occupational Health & Safety and Employment Practices Law.

Features & Benefits of LIU’s Statutory Liability Extension

Statutory Liability extension can protect you
from these financial risks. The additional cover needs no extra underwriting and
no new policy documents, making the cover cost effective with a nil deductible on
all claims.
Not only does a Statutory Liability extension protect you from financial loss that
could cripple or close your business, it also provides for expert legal assistance in
defending civil fine actions.
For most small to medium businesses the time and cost of responding to legal
action is just not recoverable.

The Statutory Liability extension helps to manage
that risk, freeing you to focus on your business.

BONUS
If you have Public Liability with Independent Lawnmowing Contractors Of Australia.
The Statutory Liability extension Effective from 1st November 2008 has now been included to present and future holders of Public Liability through Independent Lawnmowing Contractors Of Australia.
Up to one million dollars cover with no excess. At no Extra Charge .

So if you have Public Liability with any other company why not change and purchase your Liability with ILCOA MORE COVER BETTER VALUE .

Note that any breach (of legislation) must not constitute intentional, deliberate, dishonest,
fraudulent or malicious acts, including acts of gross negligence or recklessness.

NEW THIS YEAR 2010

Tree Lopper & Arborist Public Liability Insurance Cover with Statutory Liability Extension .

I.L.M.C.O.A as of 01/04/10 now offer great rates of Public Liability for Tree Loppers & Arborist

Independent Lawn Mowing Contractors of Australia's Group Insurance Scheme for Treeloppers & Arborists commences from the 01/04/10 to 01/04/11 and therefore a part yearly price is charged according to when a member signs up for insurance.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8459

glassngrass
14-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Source My Business e-news - 14th November 2008
mybusiness.com.au

"Employers could face tougher new penalties for serious occupational health and safety offences based on a new OH&S model to be considered by the Federal and State Governments.
Maximum penalties for the most serious OH&S offences could be lifted to $3 million for corporations and $600,000 for individuals, along with up to five years jail based on recommendations contained in the initial report of the review into model occupational health and safety laws.
The report recommends a national OH&S system which would impact on how some states currently operate their OH&S legal systems with the burden of proof shifting from defendant to the prosecutor.
Among the recommendations are changes to liability provisions in NSW, Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia to make OH&S officers liable if they fail to take reasonable care to ensure company compliance. Serious offences could potentially be heard by juries."

administrator
14-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I think part timers cashie contractors and lawnmowing landscaping companies without Public liability and OH & S are going to pay a hefty price IN THE NOT SO DISTANT FUTURE .

Its just not worth the risk .

If you think you only need to do oh&s and public liability for Real Estate strata management and alike think again .

Domestic clients will need to be covered the same way .

So dont take any chances Get your business in order .

Changing times . :cool:

glassngrass
16-11-2008, 07:09 AM
A customer yesterday tells me she once saw a pedestrian on foot path walk past a lawnie mowing the nature strip,and just as he reached the lawnie the mower flung a projectile out and hit the guy - you guessed it - in the eye!

I don't know the outcome, but I imagine it is unlikey he said "Think nothing of it".

I always stop and let mower/wippersnipper to idle when pedestrians approach - especially kids or mums with prams.

Stripes
01-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey admin would the Indy insurance apply to me if I was doing irrigation fulltime and not mowing at all? Also is there insurance for my trencher and other tools for theft and any damage I cause from using it?

fairdinkum
01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Was just looking into the indy insurance. Are the prices listed on the website still current? And if I was to take it out now would it be a part year price? I am with NRMA and I think I am getting ripped off. $50/ month just for public liability which only covers me alone.

Anjaryan
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Was just looking into the indy insurance. Are the prices listed on the website still current? And if I was to take it out now would it be a part year price? I am with NRMA and I think I am getting ripped off. $50/ month just for public liability which only covers me alone.

Thats expensive, Indi will prorata.. far cheaper ... they also do equipment and trailer insurance

fairdinkum
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah I thought so.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
A customer yesterday tells me she once saw a pedestrian on foot path walk past a lawnie mowing the nature strip,and just as he reached the lawnie the mower flung a projectile out and hit the guy - you guessed it - in the eye!

I don't know the outcome, but I imagine it is unlikey he said "Think nothing of it".

I always stop and let mower/wippersnipper to idle when pedestrians approach - especially kids or mums with prams.

So do I. But it gives me the ****s when people can see I'm wipper snipping or mowing and they don't think, gee I'll cross over to the other side of the road. Especially when I'm doing a ferel looking nature strip with stones and crap going everywhere. Even had some moron Indian woman with her little kid stop to watch me once. I ended up turning off the mower and saying are you blind or do you want to be. She had no Idea what I was talking about so I told her to get on her way and started up again. Dumb @ss wench.

Stripes
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM

I'm with NRMA too and it is up for renewal soon. I am paying a fortune with my Liability, personal injury, trencher, trailer etc. The Liability alone is much cheaper if those Indy figures are still current.

Andy B
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Without going back and having a geez, I think the quoted price on the web is the basic price before stamp duty and gst. Ring Dean at Indy and have a chat if you're a member. ;)

ian
01-11-2010, 11:13 PM
and if your not you could save your membership or close to it with your 1st years cover

indi cover runs from end of july til end of july and is charged pro-rata for people joining during this period

Redeye
02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I just dropped NRMA & went with indi, saved about $300

South East Mowing
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Just dont cover stone damage redeye- $500 excess for any claim. Word your clients up properly. It will cover you for everything you need WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT though, so $500 is nothing in those cases. It has cover for subbies too - just make your you have ur OH&S in place

gcsmow
23-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Here here,

I have had people park their cars right on the grass that I am trying to mow. One day my Mrs was on the ride on and some dumb bee-achh parked right where we were mowing so she "accidently on purpose" sprayed wet grass over the side of the car. Then she went off her brain and my Mrs gave it back to her. Also I've been trimming footpaths and people walk right past you, it's as if they couldn't possibly walk anywhere else but on the concrete paths.

So do I. But it gives me the ****s when people can see I'm wipper snipping or mowing and they don't think, gee I'll cross over to the other side of the road. Especially when I'm doing a ferel looking nature strip with stones and crap going everywhere. Even had some moron Indian woman with her little kid stop to watch me once. I ended up turning off the mower and saying are you blind or do you want to be. She had no Idea what I was talking about so I told her to get on her way and started up again. Dumb @ss wench.