PDA

View Full Version : Gum leaves and spider webs

Bluey
14-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I reckon they should look at making houses in the tropics out of these two materials. I reckon it would be cyclone proof. I cannot get over how gum leaves stick to a flat surface no matter how how much air you blow at them out of the blower. Add spider webs to the mix and they are indestructible.

Had some today in this driveway of a house. Had to give up on some and pick them up by hand. Funny thing is though if you get the smallest gust of natural wind the buggers go flying off everywhere.

Would be a great trick to super glue a dozen or so to a drive way and watch the antics of the poor bugger trying to blow them off. I reckon I would have looked funny this morning swearing at a little leaf for being so uncooperative lol :dean:

m287j
14-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I know the feeling, just look at my place. I have 4 gum and there are leaves everywhere. I can never win.

geejay
15-11-2008, 08:38 AM
beaut trees,i think theres over 700 varietes in Australia.my most memorable gum tree walk is down the lemon scented gums at the perth botanical gardens.have clients that have some magic ones.want to get a really good book on gums,can anyone recomend a book? :)

Bluey
15-11-2008, 01:46 PM
beaut trees,i think theres over 700 varietes in Australia.my most memorable gum tree walk is down the lemon scented gums at the perth botanical gardens.have clients that have some magic ones.want to get a really good book on gums,can anyone recomend a book? :)

Yes they may be but in the right place. Over here they insist on using them as street trees and in their wisdom plant them under power lines. The bloody things grow up to such a size they are significant trees and they won't let you even trim them.

Their roots go for your drains, they suck all the water out of the ground, they drop leaves in copious quantities all year round or big branches and the little covers off the gum nuts are the perfect anti personnel device if you have bare feet. Not to mention the sap as well. Oh and I forgot about the never ending job of cleaning gutters and the fact they wreck the roads and footpaths.

Get this. The council took out two in the next street over because they got sick. They were just starting to grow into the power lines and cause damage to the footpath. They did a great job and I picked up the felled wood for my fire. Guess what they replaced them with. Yes you guessed it...two brand new gum trees.

It is like something out of a sketch off Yes Minister. What is the worst tree we could plant in a suburban landscape under power lines that will cause the maximum amount of destruction to the infrastructure...gum trees...but you get them cheaper by the 1000....good lets buy 30000 of them shall we.

I have two huge ones at my place in the street and I am constantly worried about them during strong winds and without a word of a lie I reckon I have picked up half a wheelie bin of leaves a week for years. Worst trees you could ever have close to house in my opinion. .

I have got to a stage where I am now just blowing the leave out onto the street off my property. Just waiting for the Council officer to come around and try to give me stick over it. Heaven help him if he does.

When I got here I took out all I was allowed to as there were heaps on my property and replaced them with fruit trees. I figure if you are going to have a tree you may as well get some return from it.

I like gum trees but not in suburbia. And for those of you who say opposite I bet you don't live under a couple of them. Damn sure the town planners don't. If I ever find the bloke who designed the street scape around here I am going to insert all those leaves someplace it will hurt...one by one...lol

There thats my rant for the day :dean: :dean: :dean: :dean: