PDA

View Full Version : Bees attack Lawnmowing man in Melbourne

administrator
17-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Bees attack Lawnmowing man in Melbourne

12/11/08

A Melbourne lawnmowing contractor has been stung at least 40 times by a swarm of bees.

The 39-year-old was using a slashing machine on the back of a tractor when he disturbed the swarm in a blackberry bush earlier Thursday, paramedics said.

He tried to drive away and then ran along the road to escape.

Link for rest of story
http://news.smh.com.au/national/bees-attack-lawnmowing-man-in-melbourne-20081113-663e.html

Do you have an allergic reaction to bees or for that matter any allergic reaction to anything.
How do you cope with such a situation in hand ,at least in the above story parametics were on the scene in three minutes .

Sydney Morning Herald reported story must of ben a slow news day .

See other link regarding bees and wasps

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1913&highlight=bees

glassngrass
17-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Ouch! Apparently bee venom never leaves your system, it just dissipates throughout your body. Even if you are not allergic, an allergic reaction can develop from multiple stings over time.

Perhaps this thread better placed in OHS forum???

Siddo
17-11-2008, 01:22 PM
ouch thats no good

Bluey
17-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Poor bugger ... I can feel for him. On the topic of allergies I am allergic to snake bite lol... ;) ;)

chatza
17-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Happend not to far from me

but i know a tree lopper who disturbed a nest about 5 months ago got 120 stings while jumping onto a shed over the fence than colapsing he died but they got him back after a bit of work lucky and hes back into it again. Scary stuff

If you know your alergic get an epipen and keep it with you.

simo
17-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I was mowing a lawn for a fella who was a bee keeper , 2nd time there was mowing they swarmed me got stung 7 times on the legs, darn things stick to ya and while you try to brush them off more sting ya on the other leg, came out in welts . Don`t mow that lawn anymore ...

glassngrass
17-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I heard that the noise of mowers/brush cutters, etc... can aggravate them!

Bluey
18-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I heard that the noise of mowers/brush cutters, etc... can aggravate them!

Lol... they don't need too much aggravation at the best of times. Cranky little buggers. Thank Christ they are only small.

Paul
24-11-2008, 10:41 PM
last friday i headbutted a wasp nest hanging under a dwarf date palm..got stung eight times by the end of the day between this 3 more nests later.face,ears,arms and hands..I ran down the yard swearing like a maniac.The client came out to see what happened,i said wasps nest..She ran back inside.haha..I Apologized for the swearing,she said she would have too and she would get a fumigator,as the ticks killed her dog recently also.I thankfully didnt swell anymore then what looked like bullant bites.

tony bettess
29-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I know that motor's on the equipment from tractor right down to whippersnipper sure does get them european wasp's going . I rember the same thing happen to him, but the beehive was in an old night can. What save him a lot was it was pouring down with rain so they only got him around the face. :cool: