PDA

View Full Version : Safe Operating Procedures (SOP's)

mowjoman
22-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Thought I might share my 1st SOP attempt with you guys. Could't for the life of me find a site that had a free template so I did my own.
Any improvements would be welcomed :wave-hi:

tree beard
22-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Mowjo

I am working through these as well at the moment for the first time. So if I say something stupid its not because its a stupid question ...its just me :laughing:

How did your mower get off the trailer and what was the procedure?What are the associated hazards and precauctions for this?
Where do you park your mower once its off the trailer?
Do you put out a lawn mowing in progress sign?
Do you have a saftey strobe on your ride on and do you use it ( I dont but as a gadget am inclined to install one, never have too many toys I say) :)
before you engaged the blades did you check for pedestrian traffic or the like?
What do you do when there is (witless) pedestrians?
Once your blades are engaged do you drive forward and backward to check and ensure uniform cutting and operation of the unit?? Including cutting height??
at what point do you don the saftey equipment?
Do you assess the site for any potential mowing hazards?

IS this going too far???

mowjoman
23-11-2008, 06:56 AM
All good questions Tree beard.
Some of those Hazards are covered in my JSA. I should include getting the mower on and off the trailer but hey.
With a SOP are ya supposed to include say....step, followed by hazards involved and how ya gonna manage those risks?? Or is covering this in a JSA or take 5 sufficient?
I can remember in another life I used to write (we called em SWI's) and I remember the boss man wanting them written in a way that ya Granny could read the document and go out and safely perform that task. Now I remember jacking up about this and raising a point with the man.....Thats near impossible and the more you try the more cumbersome the document becomes and harder to read, if you know what I mean.
I should include hazards associated and managment of them though and a few more steps I didnt think of that you've highlighted Tree beard, Cheers. :wave-hi:

mowjoman
23-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Changed a coupla things on my JD SOP. Included a risk assesment now. Looking forward to seeing other peoples formats etc.....continuous improvement is the name of the game. :russ:

Bluey
23-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Jason

You are doing well. One thing I thought of when reading your doc on the refuelling process was that it does not mention turning the machine off. Am I being to picky???

glassngrass
23-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Hiya Jason - have a gander at this - Waddya think?

I really like this format - covers all the bases.

tree beard
23-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Glass

Nice document! :)

mowjoman
23-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Am I being to picky???

Not at all Bluey. I guess the idea is to drill down as far as possible. I do personally believe there is a line where to stop but I haven't seen it yet. Gonna put that in mate.

mowjoman
23-11-2008, 10:26 PM
G'day David.
Very nice there mate.
Jeez I got alota work to do ay. I like the blade removal and sharpening.
See this is why this is so good, we can all share these things to help all of us end up with a quality document.
Some storms building up here so if we get some rain I can sink my teeth into it ay. :wave-hi:

administrator
16-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Do yo have a back up plan http://www.worldwidesafety.tv/video/268/Got-a-backup-plan

geoff
16-03-2009, 09:53 PM
geez admin do u ever sleep . you must take this forum to bed. :confused:

DavidS
02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Here we go.

I have been working on these for a few days now. Constructive comment are welcomed.

DavidS
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
And some more.

I hope they may help others

Anjaryan
02-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Very nice David

Redeye
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Nice work David but i struggle to comprehend why people have to be told what used to be common blo*dy sense!! OH&S really sh*ts me,shouldn't be necessary, people who would stick their hands into moving machinery(for example) without having to be told not to should be supermarket trolley collectors.

Stripes
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice work David but i struggle to comprehend why people have to be told what used to be common blo*dy sense!! OH&S really sh*ts me,shouldn't be necessary, people who would stick their hands into moving machinery(for example) without having to be told not to should be supermarket trolley collectors.

It has become ridiculous! To do everything the way they want, you would have to spend a quarter of your day on safety. On each site you would have to fill out all the risks, how you can avoid injury because of the risk etc. Its just ridiculous.

geoff
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
unfortunatley stripes when u employ peole thats what we have to do to cover our butts....dont employ just go alone some say and maybe they are right..but as we know when it busy we want to grow employing and using these long winded rules...AS many have said before you cannot make exceptions for dickheads.

administrator
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Watching the footy at the minute whats with their ohs they get injured and doc gives em a jab and they are back on the field .:safety

chatza
02-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Agree big time redeye.
Remove all oh&s and the problem will sort its self out.

tree beard
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes its called natural selection???

South East Mowing
15-04-2011, 04:20 PM
And some more.

I hope they may help others

Hi David, do you mind if we take and use these??