PDA

View Full Version : steak ways to cook

geoff
23-11-2008, 09:21 PM
like some ideas on the steak butheres one we love..
sear steak each side ...scotch fillet is great
remove and rest and season because we will introduce them back to the pan...cook to a couple of mins each side
now one onion ,several rashes of bacon chopped up 6 mushrooms and saute
i heap tbl spoon of flour , any will do add
i cup of red wine ..make sure its good quality cause if u cant drink it dont cook with it
cup of beef stock and glove of garlic
teaspoon of tomota paste and salt and pepper
cook till thick and fragrant
add steak back and cook to your preference
side serve of baby potatos cook to boil season crush with fork and parlsley and serve with the lot
drink a nice red and beauty u have a great meal

mowjoman
23-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Beautiful Geoff!!!!!

Got one for ya...

gently lay ya rump onto a piping hot bbq plate,
after 1 minute turn the little bugger and place atop the steak a few pre-prepared slices of a good creamy blue cheese...
After 1 -> 2 mins the cheese has melted amongst the pool of blood forming atop the steak...
Take off and rest it for 5 minutes.

Serve with lamb chops and a side of pork and a cold Carlton Draught :p

veg-e-tar-i-an, noun.
Primitive word for lousy hunter :)

fitternturnercook
18-08-2010, 09:43 PM
scottch fillet
heat oven to 400 f
spread both sides with butter
put fillets on a rack in a roasting pan
place the uncovered fillets in the hot oven for 20 mins
saute 1/4 cup onion with some butter in a saucepan for 2. 3 . minutes
stir in 3/4 cup dry sherry, 2 tblsp soy sauce 1 tsp djon mustard dash black pepper and heat the mixture

pour the mixture over the fillets and return to the oven for additionall 20 minsbasting with the mixture frequently
serve hot topped with the onionmixture left in the roasting pan

Fred's mowing
18-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Stop it!......................Stop it u bastards:D.
Cheers Dean.

geoff
18-08-2010, 10:12 PM
now thats cooking..steaks generally need intense heat to sear each side quickly using a hot grill rotation 90 deg then turn the same again..you get those nice grill marks , then in the oven to bake for the type you want ..med is good....important to bring steak out before it gets to your desire liking as to rest under loose tin foil as the meat need to relax before its demolished......a good steak always needs a good sauce prepared from scratch of course ....
love to add a few tiger prawns cooked in butter and garlic with a touch of chili added then drizzle on top of steak...

courty
19-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I normally end up with the tongs in my hands at BBQ's so I'll add my 2 cents

I like thick cut porterhouse about 400gms
Make sure the steaks are room temp
Oil the steak not the grill plate
Heat grill plate to high temp then reduce to med-high
Cook steaks for approx 7-8mins a side(med rare) only turning once
Allow to rest(should rest for approx half the cooking time)
I'm not one for sauces with steak, just a knob of anchovy butter or some horseradish cream
Enjoy with a nice frothy beverage or glass of red

Mick
19-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Get a nice thick rump (not really long but cut about 3/4 - 1" thick). You can actually use second grade meat with this as its more of a tenderising technique.
Marinade in rock salt (big chunky salt, not table salt) for about 20mins. When I say marinate, I mean a really good amount of salt underneath and basically bury the steak.
After about 20mins (time changes depending on thickness of steak) remove from salt, wash well and dry steak well.

Give it a try!
I found a little back up on it...
http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

Bluey
19-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Now here's one I did a lot in the Gulf of Carpentaria. It will probably offend a few but who cares. Ever eaten horse. I have ...heaps of time and it is the best steak you can get hold of. You need a big campfire for this one so that will strike most of you blokes out. You also need a good little BBQ plate with 5 inch legs. Here's what you do.

Get in your 4Wd drive and drive out to the nearest station that has brumbies. Make sure to pack your swag and all the bare essentials...beer, red wine and port.

Have a yarn with the station owner and find out where the mongrel brumbies are. After a beer or 2 drive out to the water hole and scope it out. Brumbies always water near midday so set yourself up with a good vantage point on the water hole with an adequate rifle. Horses are hard to knock down . I used a 300 winnie mag.

Sus out the nags as they come in and pick a nice young one. Head shoot it . One shot kill. Don't let it run or the meat will be tough. Skin him out and take the majority of the meat for your dogs. My rotties lived on horse and farted like crazy.

While your doing this send your oppo off to set up camp and get the fire going. Need good coals for this one. When he is done he will come over with a nice coldie for you so you can sit down for awhile whilst he loads the meat into the esky.

Leave the eye fillet to last because that is what you are going to eat. Strip it out and let it hang up a tree for half an hour to drain of the blood. Depending on the time of year stand by with a branch to see off the flies. Have another couple of coldies while doing this and make sure the fire is going strong.

Take what meat you need for the meal and brekky. The rest gets set aside for biltong (another recipe). By this stage you have set your self up on the waterhole and if your oppo is any good he would have caught some yabbies for entree. The fire has burned down and you have heaps of good coals.

After a few more beers as the sun sets your getting hungry and now is the time to start cooking the nag. Use your shovel to dig a little pit and get about 3 shovel fulls of coals from the fire and put them in the pit. Place your little BBQ over the top of the pit and heat her up. Have a coldie while you do this. Most ppl make the mistake in the bush of cooking on flames. Always cook on coals.

Grab your nag steaks and liberally coat them in oil and whack em on the BBQ. If you have a good oppo he may have made some damper or done some spuds in the coals. If not throw a few veggies in the billy and boil em. Have a coldie. Open a nice bottle of red.

Cook the steaks as you like them. Medium rare for me. Grab your veggies and and steak and a glass of red and sit back and enjoy the best steak you are ever likely to have. Maybe finish it off with a bit of damper.

Then sit back and watch the fire while you finish the red. Clean up and then have a few more coldies and a few ports then hit the swag.

Ahhhhhh....that was a good feed.

Redeye
24-09-2012, 08:58 PM
on my own since last thurs, bought 5 thick eye fillet steaks, cooked the 4th tonight, have already had filet mignon twice. Tonight, in the griddle, deglazed with red wine, mash made with tassie fetta, and onion,tomato,carrot, pea slow fried in olive oil with a cob of corn

seliment
24-09-2012, 10:15 PM
As we are in the mowing / gardening business, here is a good way to cook a chunk a meat
(with credits to Heston Blumenthal for giving me the inspiration for his ultra slow cook and sous-vide cooking techniques).

When my compost pile or woodchip/mulch pile is 'fermenting' nicely (turbo charge it with a bit of nitrogen fertilizer if it is not running at a good temp) it has an inside temp of 65+C. -- just te right temp for cooking....

Now just don't be in a hurry for your meal --- you need to plan ahead :)
So get your nice big piece of meat (beef etc) and seal in a plastic bag (vacuum pack bag or have it cryogenic-vac packed by your butcher. You can add some spices/herbs/marinade before packing if that is your preferred taste.
Wrap it up in another couple of layers of plastic bags for extra protection.
Now bury it in the core of the compost heap!
Unearth it 36-48 hours! later, remove from bag and give it a quick hot treatment in pan or on BBQ just to give it a brown outside (otherwise it looks a bit boiled looking).
If you are gravy person, make a gravy/sauce from the juices in the bag.
You will find that the meat 'just melts in your mouth'.

I have done this (guests can't initially accept it was cooked in the compost heap) and it is delicious,
as well as being accompanied (on the outside of bag) that nice sweet smell of silage fermentation!

Joe

Redeye
21-11-2013, 08:20 PM
mmmm.....2" thick rib eye steak....was delish!!

BSD
21-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Bush turkey, large pot, fill with salted water, chuck in turkey when boiling, simmer for 4 hrs adding herbs etc to taste, we prefer 5 oxo cubes for flavour, throw in a rock or luckystone about the size of an egg, after 4 hrs, drain and eat the rock.