PDA

View Full Version : How would you have tackled this problem?

snippy
29-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi, just mowed one today that was a bit of a nightmare, 40cm high grass, wet, went over it with the whipper snipper first, made half an attempt at collecting some of the cut lawn and then ran over it twice with the Victa at varying heights, tried to catch some of it in the catcher but that turned into a joke too, customer wanted debris removed,ended up quite a mess anyway, me and the yard, didn't care a bit though, quoted and got plenty for the job, seems like every yard I do is an overgrown jungle.
How would you make a lawn like this as easy on yourself as possible? :confused:

Rod
29-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Not much more you could of done if it was that high and wet.

So long as you got a good price for it.

If all the jobs are that difficult, are you getting them because others are quoting too high. Perhaps its time to look at your pricing. We all prefer to do the easy then look good jobs. Like all of us when our customer base is big enough we start to "Cull" the hard ones or the ones who don't pay quick enough.

Where are you and how long in the business?

Tonyr
29-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I get lots of them...people here call the guy with the big ride on when stuff goes to hell and the others can't do the work, or for better words don't want it.

I even do small jungles...

I do not remove grass, with my little red lawnmower I explain I will work the grass into a pile, or into a garden. Most want in the garden, I can turn the amazon into a lawn with my little red lawnmower, true, and make 30% extra.

No I'm not going to clean up jungles cheap or even try to be competitive, there are risks involved, and extra time needed which can be hard to quote, these people choose for one reason or another to avoid mowing their lawn, not my fault, they saved, now they pay premium, only fair.

Jungles are a good little spinner, but helps if ya have a little red lawnmower like mine LOL! :cool:

Take a look in my website...that was a jungle!

mojo111
29-07-2004, 03:48 PM
What I do with wet grass, depending on how big an area it is?? I cut first with a whipper snipper or ride on, then hit it with the mower or ride on again and let it dry. Come back in the arvo or the next day arvo, cut and catch dry grass and charge em like a wonded bull :laughing: much easyer .BUT if they want it all done on same day the price is 3x normal cut. cash$$

PHILL :)

Pain in the Grass
29-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi. I used to use a brushcutter first, then mow at various heights with the Honda until the job looked right.......I picked up a Victa Pro Cut 460 utility for $40.00 from an auction and since then have been using it on the jungle jobs......Best money I ever spent....Even with grass a foot high, I can still just plough through it with no problems....Then when done, I use the Honda to pick up the grass clippings,,or just rake it....Has cut time down on these jobs by at least half...I remember one job,,,a small backyard behind a villa...the woman occupant had not cut the grass for what must have been a year...Seriously it was up to my knees...I quoted her $150.00 which I thought was probably a little low but expected to be there for at least three hours...It took me 40 mins and I was gone and she was real happy....All I used was the Victa utility and a rake.... :laughing: :laughing: good Saturday mornings work I think. and she even recommended me to others in the complex. :laughing:

snippy
29-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Admiral... I'm a newbie, I'm in Adelaide, I don't even know what others here are charging I haven't even done any research into competitors pricing, I know what I want and if i can't get it I'll do something else, when I saw that yard it looked like a pain in the ass so I went for forty bucks an hour, lets face it money is the only motivator, if I was getting any less for getting covered from head to foot in green slime I would just throw in the towel.
It started to piss down near the end too so I ended up soaked into the bargain:Rain: , didn't get to use the blower to clean up afterwards and the lawn still needed another mow but the customer was still sweet with the whole deal :) .

APS_QLD
30-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Part of our business is to tackle the property no one else wants. When i go to quote them i'm usually told the other people that came were rude and stated not interested, some cases the person kept on driving.

Me on the other hand tell them its a big job (which is usually an understatement) and will take time to do and will cost. I have never been knocked back as yet.

Two that stand out where average yards with grass to head high. I charged $500 and it took two blokes 2 hours with brushcutters. The owners where happy to rake the grass and get us back later to mow. These are not one offs for us.

Mind you a bit of wire can get emotional to the operator if caught in the blade. We have one rule FULL HEAVY DUTY PROTECTIVE GEAR no exceptions.

Brian

Indyanswer
30-07-2004, 10:14 AM
i had a plumber put in a split air conditioner was there for and hour and a half 600.00 would i have him back again you gotta be kidding
mate two blokes 500.00 honesty doesnt seem to live any more

Tonyr
30-07-2004, 10:48 AM
hmmmmm. I'm in the wrong business duh!

Anyone know how I can get into the lucrative world of installing air cons?

No wander the installers around here have flash new trucks and vans, Who wants a Toro, I'm going into air cons!!

Indyanswer
30-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I said to the plumber you actually gunna charge 600.00 i know u quoted but really are u gunna . he said yes and took the check .Now there u go calls him selve an australian salutes the flag on the way out and rips u of amazing :aus-flag:

Indyanswer
30-07-2004, 11:10 AM
the split system cost 395.00 maybe we get the chinese to come over and install it as well :dean:thanks bunnings

Tonyr
30-07-2004, 11:21 AM
him selve an australian salutes the flag on the way out and rips u of amazing ...

Mate, I think he bought the flag in that price! WOW!

Hard to justify hey? lot of money....least it is a once of.

Easycareacres
30-07-2004, 12:56 PM
wow unherd off, my mate across road works for aircond firm. He installs them and payed $25.00 per hr. 600 you payed, crickey he should have brought you lunch. Did you not get quotes first ? payes to get atleast 3.

Indyanswer
30-07-2004, 02:14 PM
thats vic for you 2 quotes one refferal took the refferal there you go doesnt figure :aus-flag:

Pres Lawn
31-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi Snippy, I live in Adelaide too and its been dam wet here for two months. As for the $40 per hour, you could quote a bit higher for those ruff jobs. I would be looking at $50 min per hour and if I dont get the job.... well thats O.K. and if I do ..... I get a bit extra in my pocket. Cheers

Steve Ladlow
02-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I get lots of them...people here call the guy with the big ride on when stuff goes to hell and the others can't do the work, or for better words don't want it.

I even do small jungles...

I do not remove grass, with my little red lawnmower I explain I will work the grass into a pile, or into a garden. Most want in the garden, I can turn the amazon into a lawn with my little red lawnmower, true, and make 30% extra.

No I'm not going to clean up jungles cheap or even try to be competitive, there are risks involved, and extra time needed which can be hard to quote, these people choose for one reason or another to avoid mowing their lawn, not my fault, they saved, now they pay premium, only fair.

Jungles are a good little spinner, but helps if ya have a little red lawnmower like mine LOL! :cool:

Take a look in my website...that was a jungle!

Im new to this forum thing. Ive been at this lawn mowing thing for a short time. Have had my fair share of jungles although i call them monsters! I would be interested in feed back on pricing in the brisbane metro area, i also have a not so little red lawnmower and charge at an hourly rate where ever possible. Also chasing a sub-contract and would like some advice/storeys of pitt falls etc.
As for how to tackle em the not so little ride on and a rake is usually the go but i am jealous of the fact you guys in adelaide are getting rain, theres none in brisvegas at the moment!

Much abliged

APS_QLD
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Steve,

Welcome to the site, what part of brisbane you at. Cannot help on the sub - Contract side of things i'm in the same boat as you working out how to tackle it.

Brian

Steve Ladlow
02-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Brian.

North Side based at Dakabin

Tonyr
02-08-2004, 12:01 PM
G'Day Steve,

What sort of little red lawn mower have ya got?

Mine is a little Toro Z588E....just a home owner baby thing... :cool:

snippy
02-08-2004, 01:11 PM
i am jealous of the fact you guys in adelaide are getting rain, theres none in brisvegas at the moment!

Much abliged

Yeah its Peein down again now :Rain: , had heaps this Winter, I hope it carrys over into Spring... ching ching $$$$$$$$ :)

I could see it being a big problem for people with lots of customers to service though, but I aint got too many :( so it doesn't really throw my schedule out at all.

Steve Ladlow
02-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Its a Snapper
Built in the states, imported by a pharmecutical co, its got a 25hp Kohler and a 52 inch deck, its a monster. Only part i havent found is the transaxel filters, but still have a few thousand hours to find them. Mybe Odin of chicago could help. Only paid $9000 with 5 hrs on the clock.
Read the thread on ASP and agree the are very very helpful, they found belts & modified toro blades to suit the snapper.

As for the rain send some our way please!!

Just posted a thread enquiring about petrol hedgers would appreciat the feedback.

Thanks
Steve

Tonyr
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Rain?

Wassat??

if it gets dryer and dustier, I'll be mowing bloody cactus/es!!

Like a desert here, very dry, very baron. Been many months since any of that Rain stuff fell here, unbelievable.

Good luck with the Snapper mate, The Yanks reckon they are good!

Easycareacres
02-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Steve, Did you buy the snapper from burpengary tractor sales ???

Grillonz
02-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Try using a High Wheel Trimmer (walk behind weedeater) or a flail mower. As for removing all grass:
You got to be joking!
Just cut the overgrown grass & mow again in a couple of weeks. After a few mows the excess grass just rots down & goes away.
Try this when its as dry as possible, the wet makes the job harder.
Happy mowing
James

Steve Ladlow
02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Steve, Did you buy the snapper from burpengary tractor sales ???

Yes i thought you my have picked that from the pic you posted of the tractor