PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Orange Blossom

Bluey
30-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I am thinking of using this plant as a border at one of my clients properties. Has anyone had experience with them?

chatza
30-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Here in melbourne they come up a treat tuff as, look good will be putting some in at my place when i landscape it.

Fred's mowing
30-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Choisya ternata (spelling?)
A great plant ,tuff & fragrant but perhaps a little big as a border plant unless pruned regular.
Cheers Dean.

Mrs HMS
30-11-2008, 11:47 PM
We've hedged ours in the back yard but due to lack of recent attention they are a little unruly at the moment...can get quite large by the looks of them.

But I love the waxy deep green foliage and especially the fragrant flowers.

Never required much maintenance, just lightly ran the hedge trimmer over them about once every couple of months and they kept their shape well.

However we have staggered heights in the garden beds and these are definately mid-height with mondo grass as the border planting.

Bluey
01-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I haven't used them before and from what I have read they appear to be exactly what my client wants. She is one of my weekly regulars for both lawn mowing and gardening so keeping them under control won't be a problem. They are supposed to grow pretty quickly too. Is that correct?

Mrs HMS
01-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Yes, they do grow quite rapidly and if not trimmed regularly can become quite scraggy.

Bluey
08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
This is the area where I am thinking of putting them in. My client wants a screen between the two properties. Any other suggestions maybe?

Mrs HMS
08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
If they don't mind the berries...lilli-pilli is a good screening plant.

geejay
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
have a look at grisileana"broad way mint" a native from nz,tough,drought hardy,modern green,layered look,not messy,near perfect modern hedger,must have good drainage,shade/semi-shade,to full sun,wind hardy,light frosts.

managed to source some for lscp in melboune from landscape link.

cheers :)

Bluey
09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
have a look at grisileana"broad way mint" a native from nz,tough,drought hardy,modern green,layered look,not messy,near perfect modern hedger,must have good drainage,shade/semi-shade,to full sun,wind hardy,light frosts.

managed to source some for lscp in melboune from landscape link.

cheers :)
Thanks GeeJay

It looks a nice plant and one I will use but not here . I think my client wants a bit of the WOW factor. Be that by look or perfume it does not matter. But it has to grow quick and look good.

PaulG
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Just going through some old threads that I haven't looked at since joining here. Did you end up using the Mexican Orange Blossom for this job Bluey? Should be looking good by now with over 12 months in the ground.

Bluey
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
No mate we went for a myrtle instead. My clients saw some at a friends house and she wanted them dead to rights. I would have loved the orange blossom though