PDA

View Full Version : Honda V Briggs Self propelled

APS_QLD
02-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Before the main season hits i am looking at purchasing a selfpropelled mower.

I have looked at both and have spoken to a couple of contractors and have conflicting responses.

I am leaning towards the HONDA HRU216 SU BUFFALO CLASSIC however i have been advised against it mainly cost of repairs. I have also been advised it does not pick up the grass as good as the briggs. Of course the honda is more costly by some $200.

Also what about the catches the bag or the hard bodied?

Any advise or experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks Brian

Easycareacres
02-08-2004, 04:30 PM
repairs to honda self propelled ??? ha what goes wrong like to hear coments .
Only prob over years is the drive pins on wheels. Go buy stainless steel rod and cut your own pins every year or so, easy and cheap.
When they first came out they had neat rear wheels rubber compound. Now days years crap plastic nylon. i used to rivet bmx bike tyres to them for wet conditions.
The engine never needs looking at only if you clean air filter, never wash them wipe clean. Drain water out of fuel bowl each 6 months. Love to here probs with them if anyone has any ?

Pres Lawn
03-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Well I have both and both are good to a degree. First the Honda will strugle on very wet lawns as it is very heavy, but that is the only problem, its a great mower. The Rover will cut and pick up wet grass all the time but very high on maintanace and repairs. Buy the Honda as I only use the Rover in winter.

mick
03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Haven't used the rover but my Honda 216 goes great! Never had a problem with a Honda except I lost the slow gear on an old one. Probably because I never used it! That aside, the engine is excellent and you'd be very unlucky to break it! They hold the value well too!

Easycareacres
03-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Mic if lost a gear take cover off, have a look if pin goes in and returns, crc etc gets lost of crap in there from what I rem. If no go play with cable up top. Usally works. If slipping click click etc, make apin up for each whell replace them as they do wear out. cost nothing!

mick
03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey Russ, that mower was from a couple of years ago. The fast gear was fine, just the slow stopped working from lack of use. Ended up selling it for $100 and its still going and in use today but I think they got it fixed but that gears stopped working again!

I know what you mean about the pins though. When I got my 216 home I started mowing the lawn and one of the drive wheels stopped working. They'd forgotten to tighten it up and it dropped the pin. Of course they fixed it right up and it been fine every since!

Easycareacres
03-08-2004, 07:27 PM
yes Mic my 1st gears gone and just havent been botherd to fix it as rarley gets a run. Yeah will get the newer model but no need a t presnt time. Dam good mowers.

mick
03-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Damn things collecting dust at the moment!

Having a look at a rubbish removal, soil and mulch application job tomorrow for one of my customers. Dont usually do that stuff anymore but beggars cant be choosers. A bit of exercise will be good, not to mention getting away from this damn computer! hehe

nym
04-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Have any of you guys got the new model honda self propelled. We have one that is only 5 months old and already has bald tyres. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Kylie

Easycareacres
04-08-2004, 07:22 PM
the wheels I imagine are the same as previous model and dont last long. Just buy 2 more rear ones.

mick
04-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Have any of you guys got the new model honda self propelled. We have one that is only 5 months old and already has bald tyres. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Kylie

Try giving it a little push before it drives, it will help wheel spin. Also, wheel spin happens when you turn the mower, both wheels drive at the same pace so one spins more than the other. It makes it easier to turn though!

You can cut some more tread into the "tyres" with an angle grinder to get a little more wear out of them! Just dont cut to deep.

mojo111
05-08-2004, 05:00 PM
I love my rover ;) 560 pro 22'' cut. 6.5 briggs great machine .Have had it 23 months no oil burn starts first time every time. blades are awsome 5mil thick, swing backs, last allmost as long as bar blades.
The other thing veryable speed good for the thick stuff and no gears to slip. cork dry cluch exellent

whitsundaytattoo
12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
I've just purchased the rover 22" cut too and am very happy. What swayed me was most of my mowing will be wet and the bigger discharge chute seemed more practical

Indyanswer
22-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Buy Your selve and aerians 21 inch selve propelled excellent unit :Rain:

mojo111
22-08-2004, 02:59 PM
I got an Areins zoom 1640 most excellent ztr :)

sharon
22-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I have a Hond HRU196D Its only a few months old and does not cut the tall bulb grass just leaves it but cuts all other grass around it. I think its because its a slick type of grass. Is this common? It has a hard catcher and when putting it together i didnt put the back in, so when i pulled it apart hit myself in the mouth, not good :laughing: I would think the fabric catches would not be as heavy, can you use them on other mowers? :) Sharon

matder
22-08-2004, 08:08 PM
who needs a pushy thats what ztrs were made for ;frosty; :) matty