PDA

View Full Version : hedger blade speed=relevant?

geejay
10-12-2008, 07:23 AM
is a hedgers blade speed,material its made off relevant in professional prunning?

sharpness is a given.

are lanoline oils like protect useful?

what do you reakon?

glassngrass
10-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I have found that speed can definitely make a difference - the thicker branches require a slower speed so that they enter the cutting area before the blades come together again.

Sap gets between the blades. As it dries it adds a lot of friction and can build up a 'space' to prevent each cutting side from touching. This makes for a poor cut.

I apply Lanolin after every use. This seems to prevent the sap from drying out. It's also a great lubricant. Never use WD40 or similar - it can bind and jam up your machine!

Bluey
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I use INOX as a lubricant. Great stuff as it does not dry out or gum up and is waterproof. I got onto as we use it on our paintball guns at the field I ref on..

Fred's mowing
10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Like David said, U need to go a little slower to allow the larger material time to enter between the blades, but a faster speed does,nt mean a better cut eg, a manual pair of shears or secateaurs if sharp will give u an excellent cut.
I find the biggest issue with the finish generally relates to the adjustment of the blades. If too loose a poor cut, if too tight the blades will bind. Once you,re perfectly happy with the cut, use a lock nut whilst holding the original nut with a spanner(on the top of the cutter that is).This should secure it ensuring it will not go out of adjustment.
I have used wd40,crc,etc on all our cutters 4 many years now with no probs.
Cheers Dean.

m287j
11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Definitely use lanolin spray or something similar to lubricate the blades. Not doing so can be costly, it was a $200 lesson i learned.