PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Slang...

Tonyr
05-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Been thinkin' (ouch) as we have some mates from accross the pond, I bet they would love to know what our slang words mean...

So, how about we all post up slang and describe what we think each term means, waddayareckon?

To kick it off words like Shagger, Kiwi, Crikey, Struth, bloody, sheiler, are a few that quickly come to mind...

C;mon guys, this could be interesting!

What about sayings....?

dvmcmrhp52
05-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Got the snags on?

Alex Callaghan
05-08-2004, 07:28 PM
A

Abo. Aboriginal. (native aussie)

Aggro. some who is aggravated, upset about something

Amber fluid / Amber nectar. beer

Ankle biter. young child

Ant's pants. person has a high opinion of themselves

Aerial ping pong. Aussie rules football

Arse over tit. trip or fall over

Get your Arse into gear. someone is asking you to get a ****n move along.

Arvo. afternoon

Ay or eh. Isant that right or what did ya say?

Avagoyermug. Said to some wally that isn't trying hard enough

B
Back of Beyond. far out bush as ya can get, right out outback

Back of Bourke the middle of bloody nowhere

Back hander. a bribe also used to describe hitting some whacka with the back of your hand

You old Bag. Some old ***** (IE.....Mother in law :frightene )

Balls up. Big ol mistake

Banana Bender. some plonker who lives in the state of Queensland (Cause lots of banana are grown up there!)

Bang on. it's right and correct

Banged up. pregnant

Banging like a dunny door in storm. Loud ***ual activity :laughing:

Barbie. barbecue

Basket case. Fuked in the head

Gidday you ol Bastard. Basicaly a a term of endearment

Old Battle-Axe wife OR mother-in-law

Battler. working bloody hard to earn a living (All of us lawn guys) IE The ol Tonys a little Aussie battler.

You little Beauty. Say when something has gone really well.

Beer o'clock. (my personal favorate T.O.D) Knock off time....pack up and go and wrap a well earned beer round ya laughin gear.

Berko. goin Berko, gone mad

Better Half . Ya wife or husband

Buitie. Really really good.

Biffo. Having a punch up. Fighting

Town Bike. Towwn slut (everyone rides her)

Billabong. a waterhole or dam

Put the Billy on. put the water on to boil

Past the Black Stump. same as Back of Beyond

Do ya Block. Get really pissed off!!(usally involves alot of verbal abuse!)

Bloody oath. you really really approve of what's someone is saying

Ugly as a box of Blowflies. reeeal ugly

On the Blower. On the telephone telephone

Blowies. bloody big flies

Blowing ya dough. spending all your money on stupid stuff

Blow through. leave in a hurry

Bludger. A lazy basterd that sits around on his ass all day

Bludge. Doing nothing

True Blue. something thats real Australian

Having a Blue. having a fight

Blue Heeler. Aussie cattle dog

Bluey. a nickname for redheads

Bomb. An old piece of **** car. Also a really bad fart

Bonza. Good stuff

Boomer. kangaroo
Booze, alcohol

Booze Bus. Police truck thing used for random breath testing for alcohol

Have a Bo-peep. Have a sly look at something

Brass razoo. no money. I havn't got a brass razoo

Brekky. Breakfast

Briki. Brick layer

Choke a Brown dog. Take a ol big ****

Brumby wild horse

Buckley's. no chance at all. (Ie. Ya got buckleys mate)

Bugger me dead! shocked at something

Bugger off! Telling someone to piss off or if ya ask it as a question it can mean ya don't belive somthing.

Built like a brick **** house something

Bull dust. Thick dusty stuff found in the outback. It can be bloody deep too.

Bullamakanka imiganary. as far as you can go in the outback

Bum. your arse end

Bundy. Bundaberg rum

Bung. to put (Ie .bung another snag on the barbie mate!)

Bunghole. your mouth

Bunyip. Scarey creature from outback that lives in or near billabongs.

Bushbash. go off road in ya 4x4 forcing your way through bush

Bush pig. Ugly woman

C
Something's Cactus. It's died or gone to ****

Have a Captain Cook. have a look at something

Carked it. Somthing thats dead. (Ie that roo that just found my bull bar at 110Km an hour would have carked it for sure)

Cheese & kisses. the missus, ya wife

Chew the fat. have a good talk together

Chinwag having a good chat

Chippie. carpenter

Chock-a-block or Chocker's full to the point you can fill no more!

Chook. a chicken

Chuck. throw something or vomit

Chunder. vomit

Clanger. A lie

Claytons. a fake. Claytons is a non alcoholic drink......the drink you're having when you're not having a drink ;)

Clobber. Clothes

Clod hoppers. ya feet

Cobber. a good mate.

G'day Cobber. welcome close friend

Cock up. its gone all wrong, It's gone pear shaped , It's cactus!

Cockroach someone who lives in the state of. New South Wales.
(Dunno why :i dunno: )

Cod's. testicles

Coldie. a beer

Compo. Compensation (Worker's Compensation)

Conk to hit someone

Cooee. (Ie ya cup ya hand around ya mouth and yell cooee) Good way to say G'day to somone from a distance in the bush!

Corroboree. aboriginal dance party

Couldn't get a root in a brothel. Person is incompetent, they can't even arrange to have *** in a brothel!!

Cozzie. swimming costume.

Crapper. Toilet

Crikey! surprise at something

Crook. not feeling well

Cruddy. some piece of **** thats of low quality

make a Crust. to earn a living.

Cunning as a ****house. An underhanded basterd

Cuppa. cup of tea or coffee

Curly. nickname for a bald person (Ie. give someone a bit of Curry. give em a hard time.

Mad as a Cut snake. Crazy Muther ****er

You better of appreciated all of that ya bunch of plonkers!

I had help from 2 mates and Mrs.

Might do D latter ay!!

Tonyr
05-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Well done mate, Thank you!

Wow, what a great job, very nice.

That was a hellova read, please keep goin!

mick
06-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Bloody hell mate, you have been busy! Well done and keep them coming!

A few corrections though, well what I thought they were...

Banging like the dunny door... A chick who roots ..... alot! ei, the dunny door bangs often, especially while drinking lots of beer!

Cocaroach........... People that live in NSW ei, they scurry around and eat crap off the floor, they'll live after an atomic bomb because they eat crap off the floor and breed like rabid rabbits!! hehe real not nice creatures! ;frosty; but lets not start that again! ok hehe

Bull Dust... A big fat lie! ei, John Howard is very trust worthy= Bull Dust! They were jumping over board= Bull Dust. Knowone will be worse off after GST= Bull Dust. Prices wont rise after the GST= Bull Dust. We polies deserve our SUPER size, Superanuation= Bull Dust!

Again, well done and god this is gonna be a long thread if you make it to Z!

Good stuff!

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Crikey, Ya blokes is true blue for sure,waddayareckon?
I was just sittin on my bum waitin for beer o'clock to roll around so I could get on with a few coldies and I figured I'd have a captain cook at the off topic forum.
This is definitely bonza, Keep it up mates!
I gotta make a crust so gidday ya ol bastards and keep ya cod's
outta trouble.

Good stuff guys!
I'm learning!
One thing though..........A bung hole around here is the south end of a north bound skunk..........................

Tonyr
06-08-2004, 10:00 AM
LOL Dave, you learn Fast!
on ya!

Oh better add, in our language Exmark converted means, "old whore on wheels" just wanted to point that out before someone else did...!

Scag : Primate lovin' machine...

Dane: it is a sourthern thang, not sure what it means yet...maybe "Doggie Dust?"

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Around here Exmark translates into.........Town bike,everybody rides it!

Toro.............only bush pigs would chinwag about such a cruddy bomb...............makes me wanna chunder..........

HeHe................

This is fun.

Tonyr
06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
We'll make an Aussie outa you yet!

Starting to sound like one already ya old wacka!

Tell me...you know PJ from Hustler and Terry from Exmark, are they normal in the field reps, or mainly online?

Do you know their arrangement?

I'm considering finding a way to work for a company but not from a office, just interested in what these manufacturers have arranged with these reps....just doing some research to see what might be out there as far as opportunities and possibilities that's all...

I thought about importing Qwikchute, meg-mos etc, but over here it gets very expensive and no bugger would pay the high prices for these types of products.

So maybe repping and demoing for a company instead of being a reseller would be best....

waddayareckon?

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Tony,
From what I've heard so far here on this forum it sounds like y'all could use some more different products in your neck of the woods,
I don't know I could be wrong on that.................

I think it sounds like a good Idea if you can bring it to fruition.

Terry works directly for Exmark and as far as I know so does PJ
work directly for hustler.........Employees..............

I can certainly talk with terry from exmark to see what he thinks about it because I need to see about them sponsoring something for a local little league baseball organization that my brother is involved with............Grounds care equipment donation for some advertising etc.............

If your thinking terry and PJ are independents just repping products that wouldn't be the case as far as my knowledge goes..........but then you know about my knowledge,right? LOL!

Lets see where it goes, It'll take a bit on my end though till I can
get a response from terry, weekend is coming..................

Good thinking mate...................
How can you keep the prices down?
That's the question.....................
I'll PM ya when I can get more info if possible........

odin
06-08-2004, 12:09 PM
get ahold of my friend 65hoss ...eric has a direct ear with exmark and hustler ...he corresponds with the owner of hustler paul forget his last name.....if you want i'll call hoss on the tellephone run this stuff by him.

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 12:41 PM
get ahold of my friend 65hoss ...eric has a direct ear with exmark and hustler ...he corresponds with the owner of hustler paul forget his last name.....if you want i'll call hoss on the tellephone run this stuff by him.

That's a good start..........................

Tonyr
06-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys....

Just tossing ideas around...

Independently reselling imported stuff would be tough due to pricing, but like you said we need more variety here...

Eg. price for meg mos for my mower is $570 min here, no one will pay that. Qwik chute At $200 US say, is $285 US Plus Shipping etc. And guys here I doubt would even be bothered...

Mowing here isn't as refined as in the USA, and being dryer we don't usually have the lush lawns you guys have, clients are less interested in lawns and contractors just do what they can to get by....

or repping for a company like PJ and Terry, that too interests me, more so on a local scale doing demos and internet assistance in my part of the state, like being an internet rep and doing demos to save dealers having to leave the shop, I am good at selling, and very good at face to face selling/representing.

Ride on mowing here is seasonal like everywhere, I want another form of income to suppliment it and also improve human interaction time as all the dead time I have I get very stale fast, keep motivation going etc, know what I mean?

something part time for now, that's why I was thinking of something where the internet was used.

I'm going to talk to the state manager for toro at the end of this month here. I asked him to consider sponsoring this forum, he wants to have a yak to me, I asked about repping for Toro, primarily internet and local demoes too....I'm not expecting anything, but hey, gotta try...

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Ya always have to try new things tony, Keep the good attitude...................
I do understand where your coming from,our winter is not much different, not as much money coming in, although we do some snow removal and tree work it is still a time of year to wish there was more.

From what I can tell Tony you've got a good personality for dealing with people so it could work for ya.

I gotta get off the idiot box for a while so g'dday to ya mate and I'll continue to think on it as it is always good to get ideas for this side of the pond as well............

Dave.

Tonyr
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah mate, you just never know what will pop up, there could be something we stumble on ''outside of the square'' that can be good for those wanting to get into other things, life would be dull without ideas and dreams hey?

Be nice if I could work something out with Toro, kinda pre qualified with their products more than the average goose. Well Z's anyway.

As I expect nothing will come of it, maybe I'll get some ideas from it anyway...ya never know...

hey, a bloke just might end up going down and meeting the old southern grrrrl down the road, (I'll take secret camera!) if I get into something in this industry.

dvmcmrhp52
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
I got one for ya tony,
You could give rides to the tourists on the mighty ball tearing, neck snapping,***y thingamajig you call a mower.............

you know like horse drawn buggy rides in central park, new york , but with a bit more "horsepower"............

I'm waiting to talk to my brother tonight til I send a message to terry. He's a good guy with good ideas...........

Tonyr
07-08-2004, 10:02 AM
LOL, Dave, funny, when I'm working down near the beach, the *** appeal of the red chik magnet is amazing, the chicks flock to the machine and drool, then I can't get any work done!

This thingamejig takes the light...they don't come to check me out, jut the red thang!

A bloke has to be careful where he takes it ya know....it's like a weapon it's that powerful!

but you know this eh? LOL!

dvmcmrhp52
07-08-2004, 10:37 AM
A bloke has to be careful where he takes it ya know....it's like a weapon it's that powerful!

but you know this eh? LOL!

A nuclear weapon even, Eh?
Or is it one of them Iraqi weapons of mass destruction???? :laughing:

Tonyr
07-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Yeah, those terror guys, they are sooo lucky I don't take the red weapon over there and leash Toro Terror on their asses!

sharon
23-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Fair suck of the sav. fair go :wave-hi: sharon