PDA

View Full Version : which john deere 2 buy ?????

tobie
27-12-2008, 10:32 AM
hi
looking to buy a 2nd hand john deere ride on
i have 2 i am looking at
both mowers are from mates i no so the history of the machines is genuine

1: lt 155, 15 hp kohler, 38" cut 330 hours very clean machine still has all original paint on cutting deck, like new 2002 model

2: l110 17.5 hp kohler, 42" cut 700 hours(used to get to the mail box and back so not a lot of mowing time)
in good cond has some marks ect , been looked after

both mowers are the same price so i am up in the air for wich one to buy, any advantages on either machine ??

using the mower on my 1/2 acre block with small obstacles, time is not a factor either for mowing

look forward to any suggestions

tobie

m287j
27-12-2008, 06:05 PM
hi
looking to buy a 2nd hand john deere ride on
i have 2 i am looking at
both mowers are from mates i no so the history of the machines is genuine

1: lt 155, 15 hp kohler, 38" cut 330 hours very clean machine still has all original paint on cutting deck, like new 2002 model

2: l110 17.5 hp kohler, 42" cut 700 hours(used to get to the mail box and back so not a lot of mowing time)
in good cond has some marks ect , been looked after

both mowers are the same price so i am up in the air for wich one to buy, any advantages on either machine ??

using the mower on my 1/2 acre block with small obstacles, time is not a factor either for mowing

look forward to any suggestions

tobie

Hi Tobie,

If you are not a lawn mowing contractor then the LT155 will serve you fine for a 1/2 acre block. I have one of these machines as well.
Having said that 330 hours is a fair bit and as they are residential only mowers be wary you may have some repair bills coming up.
According to my mower shop the average residential ride-on does only around 30 hours a year so consideryour ride-on to be around 10 years old based on that methodogily.

I bought mine with 120 hours on it and it has 405 hours now, the motor now has serious issues, flywheel is broken as is another major engine part.

If you are a lawn mowing contractor don't buy a John Deere lawn tractor though, i have learnt this the hard way, they can't cop the abuse.

As for the other mower, the LT110, don't go near it, way too many hours for a residential ride-on.

tobie
27-12-2008, 09:00 PM
hi matt

thanks for ur reply

you have cured me for the L110

with the lt155 it is imaculate condition and always fully maintained
the asking price is $2000 which i think is a fair price

only looking for a ride on for my own yard

do u have any other suggestions for the money i want to spend??

i can get a new murray at a god price but they do not look real strong as a deere

look forward to your reply

tobie

m287j
28-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I would stick with the JD over buying a Murray, just try and negotiate on the price, $2,000 is expensive for over 300 hours, i only paid $1,800 for mine with 120 hours on it.

Arfa Brayne
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Tobie,

If you are a lawn mowing contractor don't buy a John Deere lawn tractor though, i have learnt this the hard way, they can't cop the abuse.

Plastic steering box / tank support breaks if you hit an obstacle with front wheels.
38" deck bends and buckles at the slightest hit.
The only way I could use the deck was to build a full carrier frame for the spindles and tensioner, then mount them on a heavily beefed up deck. Bar blades converted to swing back blades.

Forget the idea of a catcher - it works at best as only an idea.