PDA

View Full Version : Lost Customer

Bluey
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I lost a customer today. Was pretty reasonable, a block of 3 units on the beach with 3 small courtyard lawns and a front strip across the lot. Took about 25 mins to complete but was a pain due to parking and having to lift the mower up and down levels. I charged $35 per visit and they only wanted 3 weekly. Not really a problem because they didn't water the back ones and only the front one got water.

Anyway on the 22nd Dec they ring me and want me to drop everything and do a makeover on a couple of small gardens they had out the front as they had some gsuets coming in over Xmas. Apparently they were "special" guests and everything needed doing just right. Mind you the garden beds were crap and had nothing going for them as like their lawns they didn't water them.

Anyway I decline and explain to them that there is no way I can fit them in that close to Xmas but I would visit the first week in New Year to get the job done. Had them down for visit tomorrow.

I get a email this morning saying my services are no longer required as they have found a gardener who can fit them in. I was tempted to let them have a broadside but replied with this

"Hi Julie

I am sorry you feel this way. Unfortunately the Xmas/New Year period is extremely busy for us and we struggle to meet some of our customers requirements let alone have any time off ourselves. I hope you find a gardener that is suitable to your needs in the future.

I do appreciate you letting me know that you no longer require us though. I actually had you on my schedule for tomorrow and it would have been a bit of a problem had I turned up ready to complete your garden job.

Anyway thank you for your business to date and I hope you do well with yours in the future."

It disappointed me she took this approach but I am really not too fussed about it. Wonder how long the new bloke lasts.

glassngrass
07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Its disappointing when things turn out this way - it does happen :i dunno:

Perhaps an email beforehand advising a definite scheduled day may have avoided this.

I got voicemail on Saturday. "This is PITA. Please call me on NUMBER."
Not much of a 'message', but I return call. Yes, I can mow your lawn. No, I'm committed on Monday. How about Tuesday arvo. Great!
Customer calls Monday. Tuesday no good. Sorry, Wednesday I'm booked. How about Thurday? Great.
Customer leaves voicemail Tuesday to cancel booking ??? :i dunno:
I call customer back "What happened??" - I've been given a mower!

Next time they call - talk2hand :talk2hand

Bluey
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I did tell them the first week in the New Year but obviously that was not acceptable to them. I am sure it was because I did not drop everything for them when they wanted me to hop. The more I think of it the more demanding they were and they caused me hassels with having other work scheduled when I was scheduled to mow and leaving crap out over the lawns. Better off without them methinks.

tree beard
07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
While the loss of any customer not by our own hand is dissappointing it is a part of our business cycle and leaves us open to new opportunities.

I have had my share of new customers trying deception and misrepresentation in the nicest possible way but its part of the game and i price accordingly and look forward to the business.

So don't morn the loss, lookforward to the new customers and greet them with enthusiasm :)

Bluey
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
While the loss of any customer not by our own hand is dissappointing it is a part of our business cycle and leaves us open to new opportunities.

I have had my share of new customers trying deception and misrepresentation in the nicest possible way but its part of the game and i price accordingly and look forward to the business.

So don't morn the loss, lookforward to the new customers and greet them with enthusiasm :)

Yes you are absolutely correct Tree Beard and today I picked up a new customer to replace them. So as you say it is part of the cycle and part of my learning. I can spot difficult customers now and like you say I now price accordingly.

tony bettess
13-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi' Bluey. I worked for a trasport company & one off their client's did that 5 times and each time they put the rate up. Remember the cheaper the rate is the quality is not their.

Stripes
20-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I lost a customer today. It really surprised me that I lost her. I only had her for about three months, but I did a lot for her in that time. She had a lot of dodgy tradies doing work at her place ripping her off and not doing things properly. I went in there and fixed things up, installed an irrigation system for her- after she already had two pathetic systems installed by others that didnt work, topdressed her lawns which still needed more attention, re-turfed an area and installed a drip irrigation system under it.

She was very happy with everything I had done and was happy that she had found someone she can trust. Then all of a sudden she sends me a text saying 'thanks for your excellent work, we are very happy with what you have done, but my parents are going to help look after the lawns and gardens now'. I dont believe her and think something is up, but have no idea why. I was supposed to go there next week and mulch the gardens as well as install some retractable hose reels, on top of cylinder mowing her lawns each week.
You cant pick some people! She would've been one of the last people I would've expected to give me the flick!

cadase
20-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I lost a customer today. It really surprised me that I lost her. I only had her for about three months, but I did a lot for her in that time. She had a lot of dodgy tradies doing work at her place ripping her off and not doing things properly. I went in there and fixed things up, installed an irrigation system for her- after she already had two pathetic systems installed by others that didnt work, topdressed her lawns which still needed more attention, re-turfed an area and installed a drip irrigation system under it.

She was very happy with everything I had done and was happy that she had found someone she can trust. Then all of a sudden she sends me a text saying 'thanks for your excellent work, we are very happy with what you have done, but my parents are going to help look after the lawns and gardens now'. I dont believe her and think something is up, but have no idea why. I was supposed to go there next week and mulch the gardens as well as install some retractable hose reels, on top of cylinder mowing her lawns each week.
You cant pick some people! She would've been one of the last people I would've expected to give me the flick!

your first impression was probably right, maybe money's a bit tight and the gardener's usually the first to go, before the mobile dogwash, nutrimetics, fingernail acrylics, hairdresser, etc etc :)

tony bettess
20-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Watch. For every client you lose ,9 out of 10 you will pick up 2 more. :cool: :aus-flag:

bb1
25-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I have lost a couple of customers of late, but have gained new ones in return, so in that way all is ok.

My offsider actually drove past one of my old jobs, and noticed a new guy doing it, when we checked it out the quality of the job could only be called shocking.

A week later I got a call saying would I do the job again. When I spoke to the client they admitted they went for a cheaper price, but got what they paid for. And now realise that you need to pay a couple more dollars to get a good job.