PDA

View Full Version : Spreader reccommendation

clawed
13-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I am looking to buy a spreader for fertiliser application and am wondering which type to buy.

I was looking at a cheap hand held unit with crank handle (nice and small size), but was wondering if the wheeled units are better.

I have no idea what other lawn contractors use so am looking for some recommendations.

Lee Fender
13-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I use a wheeled spreader that I bought at bunnings, I swear by it, Tried a hand held but prefer to just pour a load in to keep me going for the day. I do free fertilising for my regular customers as an incentive (add it in the price initially) they love it.

haireyscarie
13-01-2009, 05:44 PM
i have 2
1 is from solo a 9kg on the front of you model
it is good for around gradens beds and stull ( it can spreed front and lelt and right) you can adjust the flow as well
about 220 i think it was
2 is a john deer (as poision) tow behind spreeder for the big jobs
about 690 we thinks

PaulG
08-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Just thought I'd bring this thread back to the top.

Now that Autumn is here it's time to start advertising for fertilising jobs. It's something that's necessary now for lawn health through Winter and it's a great extra to add to your list of services.

I've used a hand held spreader until now but I've been considering one of the Shindaiwa units similar to the one in the link to get through the work much quicker (especially on larger lawns). The hand held units are great for small areas though.

What's everyone else doing?

http://www.gyc.net.au/shop/item/shindaiwa-rs41

courty
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Paul
I use a cheap arse wheeled unit from bunnings,paid for itself many times over. I buy scots in 20kg bags. I usually combine the service with a turf spay for weeds as well.

PaulG
12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Cheers Courty
Might drop in to the big shed and see what they have (if I don't give this business away first.)

RSM-Gazza
22-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Bringing the topic back in season.

Been getting requests for spraying weeds and fertilising as one does, I do start upselling such around now into spring. So seeing another day of rain today, a shopping I went.

First stop the Rural supplier for 2x25kg Incitec Pivot 400 fertiliser.

Next Bunnings for Scotts Drop Spreader (Improved Model), last year I was hand throwing it which is not so good for the customer's lawn and the image.
Didn't want a broadcast spreader due to the over spread created near paths, gutters and garden beds. Plus I feel the broadcast type spreader needs to have the rotating spreader made to a better quality than a Scotts unit.
May look at some better grade broadcast spreaders at Henty's Rural Field days in September.

Bunnings had the smaller 250ml Amgrow Bind-Die for $12.90 at a deleted price which worked out cheaper than the 500ml bottle, bought 6 of them. May go back tomorrow and get a few more.

Then thought hum what now as the rain was pelting down, so went to Motorcycle shop and ordered a Yoshimura R77 Carbon Exhaust for my 1250cc machine to give it some decent throatieness and noise. Motor bike diehards here will understand the toy/must have factor of that.

imoww
22-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Ive heard about Incitec Pivot 400 fertiliser. is it any better than Scotts Lawn builder? Scoots grows fast. Does Incitec Pivot 400?

RSM-Gazza
23-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Ive heard about Incitec Pivot 400 fertiliser. is it any better than Scotts Lawn builder? Scoots grows fast. Does Incitec Pivot 400?

I haven't checked all my rural outlets in town for best price this year, I just went to the closest and payed $33 for a 25kg bag. They used to be in 40kg bags before OHS became vogue.
I know $33 won't be best price in town, but will do for now. I used to get it from a soil place for $45 for 40kg, but they don't have it now.

I'm under the understanding it's the type of stuff used on golf courses fairways. Incitec website call it a lawn fertiliser.
It needs good rain or good sprinkler wetting after application of it, or it will burn the grass leaves. The mds shows nothing to cause alarm with common sense use.

Plus its miles cheaper than Scott's. I've used 400 & 404 at home and results are rapid and Kikuyu will go deep green like Tall Fescue and holds a solid shade of green over winter.
Having said the above I swear by Scott's too and have used it often for customers when I see it marked down/deleted at any retailer. Customers who want to fertilise their lawns themselves, I tell them to use Scott's as it much safer to use re sufficient water being applied after.

My rear lawn last summer in January and it was feed around the AFL grand final and again in late October, plus I have a two yr old playful Golden Retreiver.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/IMG_0330_zps8ecaa3a3.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/fish475/media/IMG_0330_zps8ecaa3a3.jpg.html)

holdenhead
23-08-2013, 10:55 AM
That grass almost looks real!

NLALM
23-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Gaz how about a pic of the new spreader. I have een thinking of going back to a drop spreader as you say the spinners get it everywhere

cylo
23-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Bringing the topic back in season.

Been getting requests for spraying weeds and fertilising as one does, I do start upselling such around now into spring. So seeing another day of rain today, a shopping I went.

First stop the Rural supplier for 2x25kg Incitec Pivot 400 fertiliser.

Next Bunnings for Scotts Drop Spreader (Improved Model), last year I was hand throwing it which is not so good for the customer's lawn and the image.
Didn't want a broadcast spreader due to the over spread created near paths, gutters and garden beds. Plus I feel the broadcast type spreader needs to have the rotating spreader made to a better quality than a Scotts unit.
May look at some better grade broadcast spreaders at Henty's Rural Field days in September.

Bunnings had the smaller 250ml Amgrow Bind-Die for $12.90 at a deleted price which worked out cheaper than the 500ml bottle, bought 6 of them. May go back tomorrow and get a few more.

Then thought hum what now as the rain was pelting down, so went to Motorcycle shop and ordered a Yoshimura R77 Carbon Exhaust for my 1250cc machine to give it some decent throatieness and noise. Motor bike diehards here will understand the toy/must have factor of that.

Just for the guys using fertiliser with a protective coating on it and most slow release granules that Im aware off. Drop spreaders can disturb the coating on the fertiliser, so it can in turn burn the lawn if not watered right away but more importantly it releases too much fertiliser in one go and defeats the purpose of the slow release. Maybe some drop spreaders don't do this, but its just my experience with them. Cheers

RSM-Gazza
23-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Gaz how about a pic of the new spreader. I have een thinking of going back to a drop spreader as you say the spinners get it everywhere

It's been raining for 3 days, so I've got time to post. For late winter and having my dog running around chasing birds, the lawns still holding.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/IMG_1093_zpsd8d04475.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/fish475/media/IMG_1093_zpsd8d04475.jpg.html)

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/IMG_1094_zps2961c1ba.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/fish475/media/IMG_1094_zps2961c1ba.jpg.html)

In the rate adjuster screw in plug near the handle, I wrapped a strip of school book type contact around the circular rate of apply chart to make it last longer.

RSM-Gazza
23-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Just for the guys using fertiliser with a protective coating on it and most slow release granules that Im aware off. Drop spreaders can disturb the coating on the fertiliser, so it can in turn burn the lawn if not watered right away but more importantly it releases too much fertiliser in one go and defeats the purpose of the slow release. Maybe some drop spreaders don't do this, but its just my experience with them. Cheers

Good info to take onboard. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Pivot is a fairly fast release product to my knowledge and observation in use. But I never like laying fertiliser of any brand even Scotts without a real rain forecast within 24hrs.
Actually prefer to lay fertiliser just before the rain is coming if at all possible without making a work schedule unproductive or costly.

NLALM
24-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the pic gaz, gee the ground looks wet we could use some rain here, its as dry as, Looks like an early spring but if we don't get some rain it could be a bad summer.When you get the pipe on the bike a pic would be good. I just loaded the pee wee and crf 50 on the ute for a day at mx central tomorrow with the boys, I have as much fun as they do being the team owner manager and photographer

RSM-Gazza
24-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the pic gaz, gee the ground looks wet we could use some rain here, its as dry as, Looks like an early spring but if we don't get some rain it could be a bad summer.When you get the pipe on the bike a pic would be good. I just loaded the pee wee and crf 50 on the ute for a day at mx central tomorrow with the boys, I have as much fun as they do being the team owner manager and photographer

Have worked very little this week and spent a bit during the rainy days ='s better dry up and get out to work to repair the bank book. Hope you get some rain NLALM, they have released soo much water out of the Hume Weir to make space for rains and water pouring out of the alpine region.

My first bike was a Honda 125 Road/Trail Elsinore. They were the days getting airbourne coming out the vertical tip edge of a steep quarry side.

Will Post the Vrrooom exhaust in the Hobbies section when it arrives and I fit it.

Shepparton Lawn Care
26-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Hi Gazza, Solo do a nice little fert spreader. It is worn on the chest, with a "sling" type harness. You are able to employ a deflector plate, so for example you can walk along side a footpath without the spinner throwing fert all over the path. It is great in smaller places-it has its limitations obviously, but is a quality unit. Food for thought. I also run a large walk behind fert spreader brought from a golf/landscape supply business, When my daughter (who's 10 )has some spare time i'll get her to upload some pics lol!!

RSM-Gazza
26-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Hi Gazza, Solo do a nice little fert spreader. It is worn on the chest, with a "sling" type harness. You are able to employ a deflector plate, so for example you can walk along side a footpath without the spinner throwing fert all over the path. It is great in smaller places-it has its limitations obviously, but is a quality unit. Food for thought. I also run a large walk behind fert spreader brought from a golf/landscape supply business, When my daughter (who's 10 )has some spare time i'll get her to upload some pics lol!!
Thanks Simon,
Re wearing it on your chest, does that expose one to fertiliser dust, granules either by leakage, spillage or drift.
Look forward to your photos here or via e-mail.

Great to see some better weather, but it's only till Wednesday night and 20-40mms was forecast on the news tonight + in Weather Zone. How does keep up with the back log from last week still to clear.:i dunno:
Least I've learn't this year to knock back all new jobs from unknown people phoning in, unless there walking distance from home.