PDA

View Full Version : need a decent hedge trimmer???

nosepeg
24-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Evenin' all - not grass related but I've a couple of rather substantial (driveway-lining) privet hedges to trim in the swanky suburb of Mosman, Sydney, for the first time.
I have an eBay bought Chinese-made petrol hedge trimmer that hacks, rather than cuts, so have been looking at something more serious that'll get the job done and impress fussy customers.
So, do I need to spend $500-$600 on a Shindaiwa, Makita or similarly decent petrol hedge trimmer, or is there a more affordable option - electric, for example?
Any advice would be really appreciated,
Cheers, Nosepeg...

Lee Fender
24-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I bought a Homelite from Bunnings as I don't do many, Paid $180 and it is nice and lightweight and has plenty of grunt. Does great for me

bb1
24-01-2009, 10:49 PM
If you are doing a reasonable size or number of hedges, petrol is the only way to go, electric is to limiting and generally does not have the same power. For some of mine the power cord would need to be 30 to 40 metres long, and would be a pain.

I use a Honda HHH25D, does a nice cut, has a long cutting blade, and does a good job all round on either fine hedges or the heavier cypress hedges as well. It is a little expensive ($800 if I remember right), but this is outweighed by the quicker time to cut big hedges. The other problem, it is heavy, and after a couple of hours of hedge trimming, your arms definitely know about it. One job is 8 hours, and the 2 of us take it in turns, due to the weight.

Overall I can recommend this machine.

MikeD
24-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I am using a echo one, was about $400, it cute very well, and strong enough for the thicker branches too.

My next one will be a Stihl though without the guard bit over the blades.

Buy the best you cna afford, it is worth it and they start 1st time everytime, and do a better job.

Stripes
25-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I have used a Homelite hedger- garbage compared to the others. It has a smaller gap between the blades which means you cant cut anything biggish and you have to go over things heaps of times because it pushes the stems/leaves over. I bought a Dolmar(Makita) hedger when i started my business. It was pretty good for the price ($400-$500?) and was very reliable.

I then bought a Huskvarna combi for the pole hedger which was a lemon. I had so much trouble with the engine, it was a terrible machine. I bought an Echo hedger which is very reliable and cuts beautifully, BUT it vibrates much more than the other machines I have used and gives you that tingling sensation in your hands. Apart from that its excellent.

I bought a Shingu pole hedger to replace the Huski and its been a great machine, especially for the price ($820) Its the easiest machine I have ever had to start and cuts very well. Only has a small tank though and wont run with less than a third of a tank when on its side.

If you can afford it, go for something like the Shingu pole hedger. I actually use it as much as I can instead of the smaller machines because it is much easier on my back. I only use the small machines on things less than knee height. If you only want a smaller machine on a low budget, go for something like the Dolmar/Makita.

63impala
25-01-2009, 08:08 AM
I recomed Tanaka I can hedge all day with that very light and its good for topiary because of the weight and the ajustable handle and only $520 worth every cent.

geejay
25-01-2009, 09:51 AM
we use shindawa c4 machines for hedgeing and a articulated hedger with a c4 power unit.this combination allows one to cut low to tall and all shapes and sizes.no compliants on the cut quality,only beware of the c4 engines,they are service intensive and do not preform in cold damp air.with the hedger look at the exhaust outlet and try get one with a defelector that sends the exhaust fumes away from the plants you are trimming,your hands and the petrol tank.our c4 hedger exhaust deflector sends hot air straight down onto the plant,the latest model deflects the exhausts sideways.tender plants like diomas can get burn marks from exhausts.

tree beard
27-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Nosepeg?

I use Sthil currently and previously a Tanaka both are exceptional machines and get a flogging, all types of hedge work and the finish is impressive...its not the operator!

As you have been advised on this thread already dig deep in your shallow pockets you wont regret it!

forevergreen
28-01-2009, 08:37 PM
HI Nosepeg
I have a still HS80 not bad,But the start of last year picked up a SHINGU its got a 23cc Kawasaki motor on it works bloody great

mowjoman
29-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I just recently bought a Shindaiwa DH230. Am very happy with it. My old one is a Jonserd (made by Husky I think). The Shindaiwa is head and shoulders above my old one.

wombat
31-01-2009, 09:51 PM
tanaka, shindawa,kawasaki....stick with the Jap made stuff and you can't go wrong.

ian
11-03-2009, 05:55 PM
i have the tanaka 2100s[ 26"/1.1hp/5kg] the shindaiwa is listed as [ 24"/1.1hp/5.5kg] i believe there both great machines the shindaiwa has chrome blades which keep there edge longer but are harder to sharpen the tanaka are hardened steel and 2" longer

BLACK BEAR
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I have the smallest tanaka, good n lite does an ok job, great for bigger jobs when you have a lot to do, but I also have a shindaiwa and that has served me well for 6+ years. Better cut, blades etc but I also look after it where the tanaka will get put through the crap jobs.

Islandhead
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I have a small echo, I dont get many hedging jobs but the ones I have done the echo has performed admirably. Not too heavy, decent sized blades and a nice price.

geejay
13-03-2009, 05:11 AM
i use a shindawa c4 machine with chrome vanadium blades.i do quite a lot of formal topiary work and hedging,shaping ,from the fine leafed diosma shrubs to large confier type hedges.the speed of blade,quailty of cut, and torque produced by the c4,has made the shindawa c4 a good for value buy for my needs ,and more importantly,the clients.

i did have a issue with the exhaust deflector sending bursts of hot exhaust fumes onto and burning fine leafed diomas shrubs.shindawa have a new designed deflector for the c4 that helps elevate this problem.i put a order in for one about two months ago,but have not got the part(shindawa au have to get the part from japan).i had a friend who has a component enginering company make me a copy of the modification,this is working well so far.

MikeS
13-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I am interested to hear if anyone uses the Honda 4 stroke and if so how the quality was.

I have the 4 stroke whipper it's heavy but does a great job.

holdenhead
22-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I brought a pope hedge trimmer from bunnings, $200. I have had it for just over a year now and it's still trucking along. I have not used a decent one and at the moment I dont have any reason to fork out for a goodie. I use it 3-4 times a week. It has a 600mm blade and cuts pretty good. I didn't think I would have it this long. It cuts through a decent size branch too. It's taken down a 30mm approx branch a couple of times. I believe you get what you pay for but there are some cheaper units out there that are very good value.

Cheers Rick

SouthCoast Walker
22-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Blew up 2 gear boxes on Baum AG pole trimmers. "ebay cheapies" lashed out on a Stihl combi head which I run on my Stihl Fs 110 4 mix brushcutter power head. Working great and very smooth so far.

Islandhead
22-03-2009, 11:40 PM
$200, used over a year 2-3 times a week... nice numbers

Good work Rick, makes me regret spending the $550 and using it 1-2 a fortnight :laughing:

administrator
23-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Another interesting point i see here in this thread buy a cheaper hedgetrimmer and it seems to work harder and has more work to do .lol

simo
23-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I also have the pope hedger from bunnings had it 6yrs goes good gets knocked around good for thick stuff like natives..also hasnt been stolen from the back of the ute like a honda or shindy may have..

geejay
23-03-2009, 04:44 PM
$200, used over a year 2-3 times a week... nice numbers

Good work Rick, makes me regret spending the $550 and using it 1-2 a fortnight :laughing:

damn,ditto
;)

Ability
30-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda is great- just a bit on the heavy side.

Ability
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Just as I say how good th Honda is - the gearbox packs it in! In fairness it's had a hard life!! :i dunno:

MikeS
09-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes well after the first 2 weeks mine needed a whole new carby but the last 6 weeks it's been going well, I hope it continues :i dunno:

Wattle GC
09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I now use all Husky equipment and never had any trouble.. Try the Husky 326LS ..This thing will hedge a gum tree..The Husky has good balance with attachments that are adjustable for left / right hand ..The extention pole hedge trimmer is a must addition..

MOWON
22-05-2009, 06:58 PM
My Echo is 8 years old and except for routine maintenance nothing has gone wrong.( not really routine as I keep blades sharp( Lanolin sprayed and regular greasing etc etc)
Extemely reliable.
But for fast work a pole hedger is the way to go :) :) :)

Glenofcarwoola
30-05-2009, 12:25 AM
I now use all Husky equipment and never had any trouble.. Try the Husky 326LS ..This thing will hedge a gum tree..The Husky has good balance with attachments that are adjustable for left / right hand ..The extension pole hedge trimmer is a must addition..

I use the Husky 324?? (its cold here in Canberra and couldn't be bothered to get the model number from the ute) and couldn't be happier. Its a 4 stroke combi model which had done me 2 years so far with no troubles at all. The only thing is its too tempting to do branched that are thicker than what should be done with this unit. I ended up buying a pole pruner that is only rated as domestic (jams up allot) but it saves the $500 (Odd ) hedge trimmer attachment from complete destruction.

Whatever hedge trimmer you go with make sure you grease it regularly and keep it sharp (ie go with a professional sharpener or learn to sharpen properly ) Also (May sound weird because its usually the cheaper electric ones) use a fast moving hedge trimmer for smaller branched plants like diosma and some smaller leaved potosporums (Please excuse my spelling).

danz
30-05-2009, 02:00 AM
I also have a Pope i got from bunnings i dont use it that often but when i do it doesnt miss a beat and i reckon it does as good a job as some of the more expensive ones, if your not going to be doing it alot why spend a bucket full of johnny cash,, if i'd had any problems the pope i have, i wouldve told you to go for the big brand but yeah if you just need a little simple machine popes do the job

Lockie
30-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I have a Tanaka hedgie its been going for 8+ years. I use it nearly every day i work and its been given a hiding over the years, no major dramas, broken a bar or 2 and replaced the fuel tank. For weight and power its been a great machine. Owes me nothing.
Agree a pole pruner makes life so much easier, i run the shindy multi tool, absolutely awsome machine.
Have found the 4 stroke machines heavier with no great advantage over what i have. Bought the honda 4 stroke blower a while back not a bad machine heavy as i've said and no more power than my tanaka blower that is also 8+ years old.
I'll be sticking to 2 stroke machines for now.

geoff1969
31-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I brought a pope hedge trimmer from bunnings, $200. I have had it for just over a year now and it's still trucking along. I have not used a decent one and at the moment I dont have any reason to fork out for a goodie. I use it 3-4 times a week. It has a 600mm blade and cuts pretty good. I didn't think I would have it this long. It cuts through a decent size branch too. It's taken down a 30mm approx branch a couple of times. I believe you get what you pay for but there are some cheaper units out there that are very good value.

Cheers Rick

sounds like we the same one works realy well starts easy goes great for the price -

Glenofcarwoola
31-05-2009, 10:41 PM
.......Have found the 4 stroke machines heavier with no great advantage over what i have.......

The only advantage I think the 4 stroke units have is noise (and of course mixing fuel). But having said that my 2 stroke Shibuara blower is bloody quite so I am yet to be convinced on any advantage of a 4 stoke. But at the same time I think we should all get used to the inevitable demise of 2 stroke engines.

Andy B
23-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I went and bought myself a Pope Hedger and Pope Blower/Vac today. Just starting out so price is important, decided to go cheaper on these things not know how much use they'll get and get a decent mower as main mower when tax return comes. :)

I got the "Renegade 26cc" hedge trimmer it says it's 107DB which will probably a bit loud. Cuts up to 19mm cutting diameter so should be fine.

Used the blower this afternoon while son was sleeping and it didn't wake him while cleaning the carport, driveways and pathway.

Thanks for the tip about the Pope's others have, will let you know how mine go. Doing my first two hedges on 1st of August and looking forward to it.

Andy B

administrator
23-07-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1701&highlight=hedge+trimmer

DavidS
23-07-2009, 07:03 PM
The main point of hedgers, is to have sharp blades and close tolerances between the blades. I use a feeler gauge to setup my blades. 10 thou in the old scale is what I set my Tanaka and Echo hedgers to. Every Winter I take them apart and get the blades professionally sharpened. I do touch ups with my Felco diamond stone.

simo
24-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi davids do you get them sharpened by a mower mechanic or a professional sharpening guy???..also how much thanks. :)

Wattle GC
24-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi davids do you get them sharpened by a mower mechanic or a professional sharpening guy???..also how much thanks. :)

I suggest a professional sharpener guy who has hedger experiance.I am a mechanic by trade and dont go there becuase the tollerance required when setting the blades is extremly important otherwise it will end in tears.
Its just one of those things i take seriously and experts in this field know more about the sharpening side ,types of steel and how to hone the blades to perfection.Costs me about $40 but well worth it as I would never be able to acheive the same cutting quality and he is able to make the "sharpness"last longer..
I also use a quality lanolin spray on the blades before and after use..Dont use WD40 as this tends to kill the tips and can cause disease in the hedge..

heclips
24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Stihl HS45 - Very light and a fantastic job on those fine hedges. All the local council workers use them. Excellent balance.

Richard

administrator
18-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Australian website product review

http://www.productreview.com.au/category.php?cat_id=1959&section=ITEMS&next=41

DavidS
17-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Simo, I did not see your post until today,

I get a professional knife and saw sharpener to do it. I pull the unit apart and take the blades into him. It costs me $25.00 for the two blades. If I want him to pull it apart and sharpen it's $100.00.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a pope hedge trimmer i got from bunnings had it nearly a year i think at least 8 months goes well has cut hundreds of hedges and i often use it on stuff that is probably to thick for it but it keeps going. never sharpend the blades or put oil on it. I reckon it has easily made me 6 grand if not more. plus my house has several hedges done regulary.

GreenHaven
18-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Echo (there awse)

courty
19-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I have my first hedging job on Monday so picked up a John Paul(thanks impala ;) ) today. If I end up with heaps of hedging work I'll get a stihl Kombi and the pope can be back up.

63impala
19-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Ha ha If you get a stihl kombi I know a place where you can save about 2large brand new....Have you quoted the job yet is it a big one...

courty
19-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Not a big job Kev,15min mow and a couple of small hedges that are in good shape,just need a trim.Clients happy for 3 weekly over winter. I think he's testing me on these hedges before letting me loose on the rest of his garden LOL.

Martian Mowing
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I purchased a "cheap as - chuck away" from ALDI for 150 thinking it would be ok for a few jobs....Have done about 20 jobs so far, this thing is tough as nails, although a little on the heavy side....did about 4 hours the other day and nearly died :) but it does do a good job. Was very surprised.

Fred's mowing
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I purchased a "cheap as - chuck away" from ALDI for 150 thinking it would be ok for a few jobs....Have done about 20 jobs so far, this thing is tough as nails, although a little on the heavy side....did about 4 hours the other day and nearly died :) but it does do a good job. Was very surprised.

Thanx Martian, I was wondering.
Cheers Dean.

simo
05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I grabed one of the aldi trimmers too for mainly back up, but have found it quite good, now use it often..plenty of go too...

RSM-Gazza
11-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Due to the good reports posted here re the Bunnings Pope 22.5cc Hedge Trimmer.
I'm going to purchase one too, but my trailer manu will call me in prior to the purchase to mark out the shelving layout very soon.

I've almost finished drawing up dimensions for staggered shelving within my tool box for blower, whipper, multi tool+ acc, chainsaw, 5 ltr fuel cans, oil, sprayer and a multi draws for incidentals, etc

But I would appreciate the exact dimension below and the max width. in metric.
If anyone who has one could post back such it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/3791-200x54.jpg

Thanks in advance.

ian
11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
i would suggest not using the exact measurements otherwise if you up grade in the future you may have trouble fitting the new one in the space

geoff1969
11-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Due to the good reports posted here re the Bunnings Pope 22.5cc Hedge Trimmer.
I'm going to purchase one too, but my trailer manu will call me in prior to the purchase to mark out the shelving layout very soon.

I've almost finished drawing up dimensions for staggered shelving within my tool box for blower, whipper, multi tool+ acc, chainsaw, 5 ltr fuel cans, oil, sprayer and a multi draws for incidentals, etc

But I would appreciate the exact dimension below and the max width. in metric.
If anyone who has one could post back such it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/3791-200x54.jpg

Thanks in advance.

hi riverside
i use same one pope 22 cc i dont do a real lot of hedge work but what i do with it seems ok can get a bit heavy but the dimensions are.
length 1150 mm - height 250 mm - width 220 mm
but listen to ians advise might be best to check the size on a few others etc incase you up grade ... when you get your shelving done some thing to think of to help stop equipment from buncing around is occy straps and a single chain link welded here and there make excellent points for the occy strap hook to latch on to if get what im mean { flat steel no anchorage points }just put several of them around on the inside walls of tool boxes
cheers { ps glad you went well with your first job }
ps when you get the hedge trimmer check the grease in the gear box on bottom = grease nipple 2 people i know of have brought them and grease in gear box is all most obsolete cheers

RSM-Gazza
11-07-2010, 02:09 AM
I went to bed and just couldn't sleep so up I am and found the replies. Thanks Ian and Geoff, never expected anyone to go out in the cold tonight for it though.

Ian every measurement has a 600 or 700mm over and above the actual equipment in height to ensure it will easily come out and allow for model variation in the future. Length has really not been an issue as the tool box is 2.40 long.
I've even allowed for bulkier measurements of my home domestic equipment in case one day one of them needs to be carried in a back up role. The main issue is with the Weedeater Blower being 5cm higher than the Husky blower. So the husky blower gets 7cm clearance there.
But its all good advice and advice never goes a stray.

Geoff never thought of the single chain link to be welded in. I have spare roles of thin Pool Solar heating ribbed rubber strips that I was going to use to minimise equipment rattle in some form or another.
Also each shelved compartment is going to have small square rainproof vents cut in facing internally into the cage area. This done by the trailer builder.
The atom goes into the mower enclosure.

So I've been following this hedge trimmer post to try save a few hundred dollars and the Pope is it for me.

No wonder I can't get to sleep with all this rattling around in me brain.:thinking:thinking

Re the grease, goodtip.
My brother had a Trumpy Boneville serviced once and no oil was put back in sump. He never made it back to Torquay as it seized and destroyed the bike. When I got me Masport the other day, it was the first item checked prior to the demo start up.

Thanks for the replies

RSM-Gazza
11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
"Ian every measurement has a 600 or 700mm over"
Posting at 2.00am makes the eyes see additional 0's, I mean 60 or 70mm

NLALM
14-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Riverside if I can offer a bit of advice before you spend your cash. I am not going to bag any brand or type of hedge trimmer they all cut good when new and most start and run fine.The most important thing to consider when buying a hedge trimmer is anti vibe in the handles you will find the cheaper units have very little or none at all, so what you may say ,well if you are doing any hedge work for longer than ten minutes you will know what I mean your hands will be tingeling . You may not have many hedges to do at the moment but if you get a call tomorrow to do 150 metres of hedge it would be nice to be able to do the job and not be in pain after.I myself have a cheap chinese trimmer I only use it on some topiary work I do it runs and cuts good but when I switch to my stihl or echo the differance is like night and day. See if you can have a go with a few before you decide it's better to spend a little more now than buy twice

tree beard
14-07-2010, 10:07 AM
On that note you could also google White finger...doesnt mean that you will get this industrial injury but wow! if you do what a hidden cost!!!!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-07-2010, 11:31 AM
On that note you could also google White finger...doesnt mean that you will get this industrial injury but wow! if you do what a hidden cost!!!!

Not nice looking at all. I wouldn't wish that appon any one.

tree beard
14-07-2010, 12:49 PM
It is nasty! and we are in an industry where it is a reality. so look after yourself and buy the right gear :)

(the right gear sometimes can be the cheapest just plan to upgrade and be aware there is more than performance at risk)

RSM-Gazza
14-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Mark & Tree Beard.

Apart from the Masport, I've now got the Husky 323L whipper yesterday.
I must say the 4.1 kg Husky compared to my domestic 6.4kg Pope whipper brick is chaulk and cheese in use. Let alone the whippers superior head design. So I've learnt in two purchase the value in that quality products just do the job in outdoor equipment.

My local Dahlsens has 4 commercial grade multi head angle petrol light weight Makita's on a clearance table 30% off marked price $599 down to $419. I rang them today to ask for the blade size and they said 52cm. Although I don't see that size in the Makita website + it may be a bit small.

What do you guys believe to be the ideal universal blade size 50, 55, 60??

At this stage I'm not forking out the price for a husky as my set up costs have exceeded budget big time re all the other things in progress.

Had me worried what was actually gona come up when I googled W/F, errr nasty stuff.

Anjaryan
14-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Mark & Tree Beard.

Apart from the Masport, I've now got the Husky 323L whipper yesterday.
I must say the 4.1 kg Husky compared to my domestic 6.4kg Pope whipper brick is chaulk and cheese in use. Let alone the whippers superior head design. So I've learnt in two purchase the value in that quality products just do the job in outdoor equipment.

My local Dahlsens has 4 commercial grade multi head angle petrol light weight Makita's on a clearance table 30% off marked price $599 down to $419. I rang them today to ask for the blade size and they said 52cm. Although I don't see that size in the Makita website + it may be a bit small.

What do you guys believe to be the ideal universal blade size 50, 55, 60??

At this stage I'm not forking out the price for a husky as my set up costs have exceeded budget big time re all the other things in progress.

Had me worried what was actually gona come up when I googled W/F, errr nasty stuff.

Hi Garry,

52 will be fine, especially for $419

even if you went to the larger 60 its only 8cm bigger
size doesn't always matter its also how you use it.

:smileydevil

Fred's mowing
14-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Garry, do u have a multi tool? If so , buy the hedger attachment.
Far better than the regular hedge cutters in respect to your health 4 prolonged work. The weight is more evenly spread & no bending of the back. The only place where a shorty wins is in a confined area.
Cheers Dean.

RSM-Gazza
14-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Anjaryan, I always thought sizes does matter:confused:
But good to know a 52cm is OK.

Dean I don't have a Multi Tool, but if I don't go for the 2s Pro Atom, then I can afford a Multi tool with edger and hedge trimmer attachment. I just want top class edging as many places+small business in my town/region don't place an emphasis on edging. So a point of diff having the Atom to put the harder first edge in with a tool that can do it.
To be honest I'm tossing up losely re just buying the multi tool so I can also in time get the pole saw for easier tree trimming.
Just its gettting to the point as to where does one stops with the initial cash flow as I'm holding funds for a 42in cut tractor. Which is important to me in the combined market I will be chasing.

Back to the thread topic,
Its just within here several are saying the Aldi and more so thePope trimmer was doing them fine for the odd jobs. But yes a $419 investment into a Makita does buy the Multi hedge attachment and theres no second buying later.

ian
14-07-2010, 06:22 PM
i would recommend missing out on the atom and getting the multi tool great edges or hedging/pruning at $419 i would also by the hedger great for trimming smaller plants ie:diosmas and standards which can be in confined spaces also the smaller blades should equal less weight and possibly better balance

Fred's mowing
14-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Garry, another possability would be to consider the multi tool for which u can buy a very short shaft (at least u can with a shidaiwa) that will give u a short hedger.
I used my Atom today & it went great as usual, but I would consider my shindaiwa multi tool edger almost its equal.
If u get incredibly, rediculously, (down the beach where the sand builds up to stupid levels) steep edges, u can take the gaurd & wheel off the shindaiwa & use it as a straight blade:frightene.
Cheers Dean.

RSM-Gazza
14-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Ian/Dean, you guys have been in the game for quite a while so your advice carries weight.

Yesterday I purchased a Husky 323L Trimmer, you might be saying why didn't I put those $'s toward the Multi set up. Quite simply the trimmer is used big time every day as you know and the 323L is 1kg lighter than the combi connected with a trimmer attachment. Thats real important to me everyday and especially in the heat of an longer inland summer.

Looks like I'll drop the Atom and go the Multi+edger+short hedge trimmer. One experienced guy at the mower shop said the multi would be fine for edging, another guy in there on another trip pathed me towards the Atom. But those guys work in the shop, where as you both work in field in many varied situations.
I wanted the Shindy in the beginning as there lighter again in the shindy multi compared to a husky one and up my way cheaper. But I'm far more comfortable with the husky dealer's setup and parking capacity. Who knows, if the ATO likes what I've paid toward the countries deficit upon leaving my last career 8 months ago. A pole saw will be next otherwise I'll need a refund on the combi.:):):)

This post title is now over 1.5yrs old and still active, good to see.

Fred's mowing
14-07-2010, 10:26 PM
The multi tool has a few advantages but its not the be all & end all.
If you,re in this 4 the long haul, sometimes it can work to have a dedicated tool 4 each job.
Eventually you,ll wear em all out:russ:
Cheers Dean.

RSM-Gazza
21-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Guys/Gals,

Thanks for the advice here from those who are seasoned in this lifestyle.

Well today another piece of Husky equipment joined my growing Husky family. I bought the 327LD Husky Multi Tool + short hedge trimmer attachment, I must say they have great balance. Extension pole chain saw is in my sights too.

I know I fire a lot questions here, but remember other newbies too maybe picking up bits'n'pieces out of the responses as well, like I did for 3 month prior to joining and still am.

:)

Cheers

RSM-Gazza
22-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Update,

Out of all the start up tools I've bought so far this multi tool and short shaft hedge trimmer is pure class too use. Sooo glad I went and got it now that I've tried it out. Worth every cent and there were a few involved as we all know.
But not every tool has met my expectations when buying of the top shelf.

graeme
22-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Just got the Husky 324LD with the Honda motor, got the long pole hedger with it and the dealer threw in the short shaft extension with the deal. I can't lift my arms very high, I have just had a rotor cuff repair on the right shoulder and need one on the left as well, with the extension I can do nearly all the work with my hands at waist and chest level and the weight of the machine nice and close in to my upper body, this puts very little strain on my dicky shoulders. Overall very happy.

Graeme

Wggc
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
i can back up the comment made about vibrations some time back , my hands are buggered from vibrations from years of using hand tools etc esp air tools & chainsaws , i use a stihl & find it very good , have had a go with cheaper brands & found them hard on my hands , i have tendonitis in them & some nights i have to take pain killer so i can sleep, they drive me crazy esp when ive been belting some nails in with a hammer etc , that can stuff me for a few days as far as sleep goes as the pain starts when you stop work & relax !!!!! be warned , dont settle for anything that vibrates or feels uncomfortable !!!!!

Wattle GC
13-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Just got the Husky 324LD with the Honda motor, got the long pole hedger with it and the dealer threw in the short shaft extension with the deal. I can't lift my arms very high, I have just had a rotor cuff repair on the right shoulder and need one on the left as well, with the extension I can do nearly all the work with my hands at waist and chest level and the weight of the machine nice and close in to my upper body, this puts very little strain on my dicky shoulders. Overall very happy.

Graeme

Have exactly the same.. Bulletproof..

Sandgroper
13-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I got a stilh HS 45 couple weeks ago,,goes real well,,

63impala
13-08-2010, 02:47 PM
What blade you got 45 or a 60

I got a stilh HS 45 couple weeks ago,,goes real well,,

Sandgroper
13-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I have the larger blade,i thought it might add a bit of weight but i can hardly tell the difference,,

MOWON
13-08-2010, 04:21 PM
i can back up the comment made about vibrations some time back , my hands are buggered from vibrations from years of using hand tools etc esp air tools & chainsaws , i use a stihl & find it very good , have had a go with cheaper brands & found them hard on my hands , i have tendonitis in them & some nights i have to take pain killer so i can sleep, they drive me crazy esp when ive been belting some nails in with a hammer etc , that can stuff me for a few days as far as sleep goes as the pain starts when you stop work & relax !!!!! be warned , dont settle for anything that vibrates or feels uncomfortable !!!!!

Hi Wggc
Have the same trouble with sleeping due to tendonitis.
Ever since I bought my tanaka trimmer with the low vibration and rubber handles etc the pain in my hands has subsided somewhat. Definately pays to buy up market gear if you are in this game for the long haul.
When you are in your 20,s and 30 ,s you are super fit and indestructible .
And then things start packing up (lol)
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
:wave-hi::wave-hi: