PDA

View Full Version : Vedge gardens

Easycareacres
09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
anyone into vege gardens ? Dont norm have time but as not so bigger hours i love to hide outback with hose and few beers from missues.

APS_QLD
12-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I like to plant the old veg, tomatoes mainly. Last year we heaps over the summer months all grown in pots.

This year my son stole a patch of garden and set about growing tomatoes from seed. To cut a story short he dug two trenches tossed in a heap of compost (old and new) put soil on top set his plants up placed in the sprinkler system (i wondered where my irrigation gear went to) mulched it up. Now, and i was not aware tomatoes did well in winter however we have 10 grown plants with at least 100 plus fruit on and at least half as many flowers.

I have a bowl of the little red devils in the kitchen for meal now.

Pity he's in Darwin and i'm left to keep on keeping on.

Brian

mick
12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Have had a few vege gardens over the years but had alot of trouble with the little grass hoppers! Man they screwed things up. Also grubs in the tomato's were a bugger!
Could of been fixed with chem's but it defeated the purpose of growing my own.

The place we're in now had/has fruit trees though.... 2 types of Mango's(about 18 trees all up) , Mandarins, 2 types of Orange, Grapefruit, Macadamia, Bananas.

Love mowing in the middle of summer, real hot and able to grab an orange/Mandarin off the tree. Ahhh Still got oranges on as I speak!

These days I use... Straw from the chook pen(covered in poo) and crappy sand! Mix the 2 together and thats it! Works well, as the straw breaks down and you end up with better soil next time, just mix in some more poo straw!