PDA

View Full Version : Owners manuals and minor repairs

Countrymile
25-01-2009, 04:48 PM
You have got to love the internet.

Believe it or not we have a 1979 cox compact tractor with 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine, that we use for our business. The old girl always starts, runs great and has a lovely cut, but lately has had no power for cutting the grass.

We were going to take it to the mower shop, but today Darren downloaded the owners manual off the net, and found the belt was easily adjustable.

He tightened it up and hey presto, she's cutting like a dream again, and no lost time and no bills.
He said it's the best thing that's happened all year, ( he's not hard to please).

Has anyone else saved themselves a whole lotta drama.

Shannon

haireyscarie
25-01-2009, 09:24 PM
You have got to love the internet.

Believe it or not we have a 1979 cox compact tractor with 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine, that we use for our business. The old girl always starts, runs great and has a lovely cut, but lately has had no power for cutting the grass.

We were going to take it to the mower shop, but today Darren downloaded the owners manual off the net, and found the belt was easily adjustable.

He tightened it up and hey presto, she's cutting like a dream again, and no lost time and no bills.
He said it's the best thing that's happened all year, ( he's not hard to please).

Has anyone else saved themselves a whole lotta drama.

Shannon

no
not me ever time i do something there are drama's
:aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag:

Countrymile
25-01-2009, 10:23 PM
LOL that's usually me so that's probably why I was so surprised :i dunno:

tree beard
27-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Country Smile

I find what most people call a Drama with respect to reapirs and maintenance is just another day for me :i dunno:

I use the briggs and stratton web site cause I wont pay the local mower shop their 60-80 bucks an hour they want to change a plug and the list of repairs to keep my gear looking good and mowing is long! long long long!

My mig and arc welders could earn frequent user miles!

The only thing that really bugs me is when dealers carry no stock of crucial parts but will order anything in or you can get it courierd!!
Cost me two weeks of mowing over Christmas... still cranky about it! :who-knows

geejay
28-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi Country Smile

I find what most people call a Drama with respect to reapirs and maintenance is just another day for me :i dunno:

I use the briggs and stratton web site cause I wont pay the local mower shop their 60-80 bucks an hour they want to change a plug and the list of repairs to keep my gear looking good and mowing is long! long long long!

My mig and arc welders could earn frequent user miles!

The only thing that really bugs me is when dealers carry no stock of crucial parts but will order anything in or you can get it courierd!!
Cost me two weeks of mowing over Christmas... still cranky about it! :who-knows

yep,know how it feels,we are waiting over a month now for a new mod' exhuast defector for our c4 shindawa hedger,to hear it is comiiiiiing from Japan.we'll have to have one made at a shop in Austraia. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: dealers are so full of it they should have toilet roles permanently around their necks. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BLACK BEAR
28-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Thats why I have a heap of gear, from old to new. 5 honda pushies, 2 of which smoke badly but work when needed + 1 self drive and the ride on. 4 W/Snippers + the xtra with the tool carrier.
4 blowers then 2 hedgers chainsaws etc. I now try to buy the same gear so parts can be used from the old machines if needed. I tend to use the older gear in summer/winter when work is light and keep the newer gear ready for a heavy spring season :laughing: whenever that may be :confused:
It only goes to the mower shop when there is no other alternative.
Read the manuals and play around with your old gear and you can learn heaps - i did!