PDA

View Full Version : Which Ride-On Mower is the Best?

orlandom
26-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone

I am new to this so please go easy on me.

I have recently started a Gardening and Maintenance business and I now have a few regular jobs mowing 1 acre blocks. It takes me about 2 hours with the pushy, so I would like to know which ride- on mower to go for.

I have always heard that the John Deere's are the way to go. However, I was speaking to one retailer about second-hand units and he told me to "Steer Clear" of John Deere as he had 2 in his workshop for repair, both requiring new Hydrostatic drives and both costing over $2000 to repair.

Should I go for a second-hand unit, or spend a bit more and buy new?

As for engines, I was told to go for 18 HP and above, perferably Kohler engines as these have a better oil delivery system and are better for going uphill. Is this true, or do I stick with Briggs and Straton or Kawasaki or other engines.

Deck Size: I was told that 38 inch deck is ideal as motor doesn't need to work too hard. Once you hit 42 or 46 inch decks, the motors work real hard. Is this true?

Deck Wash systems: Is this a must? I was told that they were good to have so that it will clean off all wet grass from Cutting Deck and minimise rust forming.

Transmissions: Auto-drive or Hydrostatic? I was told Hydrostatic were good for blocks with many obsticles but I am a bit worried.

I would like to hear from anyone with any experiences, good or bad regarding ride-on mowers

Thank you and regards

VJB GRASS
27-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Stay Clear Of Kohlor Engines Had Nothing But Problems.i Now Run A Toro Zmaster With A Kawasaki And 48 Inch Mulching Deck For Residential Work And A John Deere 748x For Roadside Mowing And Paddocks. It Is A 24hp Yanmar Diesel With A60 Inch Cut.

geoff
27-04-2009, 05:08 PM
for starting off especially for 1 acre blocks u could try a cox , friction drive low maintenance costs...make sure u get around 17 hp although years ago i had a 13 hp cox 30 inch cut and it was great for acre blocks..worth a look at

orlandom
28-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your feedback Geoff and VJB Grass
Regards
orlandom