PDA

View Full Version : 9" angle grinder pruner?

Murray
29-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi folks.

I used to work with steel (long story) and am quite proficient at using a 9" grinder with a cut-off wheel on very heavy gauge stuff to cut shapes.

Was thinking of wacking a bench saw blade on and using it to cut these bloody palm fronds I have to do.

Make real easy work of it and give a damn good finish me thinks.

Anyone tried this sort of thing before?

haireyscarie
29-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi folks.

I used to work with steel (long story) and am quite proficient at using a 9" grinder with a cut-off wheel on very heavy gauge stuff to cut shapes.

Was thinking of wacking a bench saw blade on and using it to cut these bloody palm fronds I have to do.

Make real easy work of it and give a damn good finish me thinks.

Anyone tried this sort of thing before?

stay clear of that 1 lol
just get your self a good pullsaw and a pole and tack your time..
if the grinder /saw blade grabs it will pull you off the ladder ..or into the rest of the spikes
my 2 cents

cheers
scarie ;frosty;

Murray
29-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Hairey.

Understand your concern, but this job is at ground level and it just seems manageable.

Would give a great finish.

Oh, by the way, it is variable speed.

gjs
29-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Keep all your work safe as one slip up can cause a lot of finacial hardship due to injury or damage to others and property. there is some good advise given, adhere to it these palms are deadly and I mean that in every sense, should be banned in my opinion I have seen them around pools at eye level where kids run around.
Get the pole saw or avoid the job.
Cheers

geejay
29-01-2009, 09:24 PM
good advice,one could also use a sandvik pruner/saw attachement on a pole,

tip use the cash you make to pay of the new equipment.

abncraig
30-01-2009, 01:31 PM
In WA most mine sites and construction sites have banned 9 inch grinders because of people always modifying them than having accidents

Murray
30-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks folks!

Will abandon the angle grinder idea then!

Thanks

Tony_4500
20-03-2009, 04:12 PM
As a boiler maker myself I tell you dont even try it, if you have ever had a 9inch grab on you before you will know why.

Arfa Brayne
22-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks folks!

Will abandon the angle grinder idea then!

Thanks

Don't quit just yet.
I have a brushcutter fitted with a tungsten tipped circular saw blade. Great for palm fronds,tree roots and high branches. Widen the "set" on the blade by about 3-5mm to avoid the blade jamming and add a stopper brace to deal with kickback if it does grab.
I can hardly wait to hear the wet knickers reaction of the bubblewrap boys when they read this. Carefull fellas - if you feel a seizure coming on, go and fill out a few pages of safety reports, just watch out for RSI of the wrist.

Arfa Brayne
22-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, if it is a Phoenix palm or one of those dwarf dates, they are usually easier to rip around clockwise with a chainsaw. Highest pheonix I've seen was around 3m to the base of the fronds, most are only about 0.5m - 1.5m