PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing Seeking new business tips

Ron C
13-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Hi all,
I have recently started my own lawn mowing business form scratch and have built up 14 regular customers in 2 months without any advertising other than delivering flyers.
I have come to a stand still though and need some fresh ideas as to increase my business other that advertising which I am unable to afford at the moment.

Ron

APS_QLD
13-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Welcome aboard Ron, The art of advertising without funds :i dunno: I can only suggest that you leave your flyers in shopping mall community boards, fish and chip shops, servo's, etc etc.

Everytime you do a job walk a few places up and down and across the road and slip in a flyer. Its a little time consuming but does pay off.

Signage on your vehicle or trailer is alway good.

Brian

sharon
13-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I am about to start with my advertising, i am going to advertise in the local paper, flyers, and local shops . Am wondering if 14 in 12 months is a good start, Is that about what other people got intheir first year. :wave-hi:

Rod
13-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Fridge magnets, they cost around as much as a business card and customers love them. They are useful and I get so much repeat business. I put them into envelopes when invoicing commercial work as they usually get passed on.

http://www.mistermagnets.com.au (I think.)

I have stopped advertising all together (after one year) still flat out with a staff of 2.5 (a casual and a full timer.) Apart from busting my ar** to do a good job I reckon the magnets keep us in the customers face.

I have used around 4000 magnets in 18 months. All full colour with dot points showing services provided. I can't reccomend them enough.

sharon
13-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I thought it said 12 months. Sounds like a good start to me. I keep thinking no one will want me to cut their grass. So i am now happy. Sounds like you are doing well.If i can get 12 in two months i would be happy with that. :) sharon

mojo111
13-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi all,
I have recently started my own lawn mowing business form scratch and have built up 14 regular customers in 2 months without any advertising other than delivering flyers.
I have come to a stand still though and need some fresh ideas as to increase my business other that advertising which I am unable to afford at the moment.

Ron

Hi ron were are ya from mate?? :wave-hi:
Sometimes ya just gota bite the bullet and go for the advert. maybe in local paper one day a week, should get some calls from it and ya only need 1 call to pay for it and 2 to make a profit,then it snowballs from there. thats how I started, now four years later and I still only have 1 add a week and I pick up at least 2 to 3 people
a week in winter , summer it just gets outa control :laughing:

PHILL. QLD

Tonyr
13-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Fridge magnets, they cost around as much as a business card and customers love them. They are useful and I get so much repeat business. I put them into envelopes when invoicing commercial work as they usually get passed on.

http://www.mistermagnets.com.au (I think.)

I have stopped advertising all together (after one year) still flat out with a staff of 2.5 (a casual and a full timer.) Apart from busting my ar** to do a good job I reckon the magnets keep us in the customers face.

I have used around 4000 magnets in 18 months. All full colour with dot points showing services provided. I can't reccomend them enough.

Hi Mate,

Just wandering...how do you get the magnets out?

Do you replace biz cards and just hand out fridge magets or what old northern bloke?

I have been tossing the idea around too, just didn't know how to get them out...

Rod
13-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Yo Tony,

Fridge Magnets,

I left them on the counters at Nurseries, Landscape supplies, even Newsagents and service stations. I put them into every invoice I ever posted out. I did two trade shows (Gardening and Home shows.)

I even attached to cars in shopping center car parks (yes junk mail.) I stuck them like flyer's into letter boxes.

Marketing is saturation! You need to become a household word like Coke etc. (remember branding!)

Oh yes. The LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember my logo is a Nike logo upside down......still works
"so just do it"...............Oops sorry!

Pres Lawn
13-08-2004, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=Admiral Horticultural]Fridge magnets, they cost around as much as a business card and customers love them. They are useful and I get so much repeat business. I put them into envelopes when invoicing commercial work as they usually get passed on.

Hey Admiral what about posting one of your magnets on this site to have a look at (just block out any info you want to keep private) it must have been a good design to work so well mate.

Rod
14-08-2004, 11:51 AM
This is the basic design I started with (their example) I just added my own dot points email and Web address Logo and phone number.

They are business card size although my next run will be a bigger size.

Ron C
21-08-2004, 10:58 AM
I thought it said 12 months. Sounds like a good start to me. I keep thinking no one will want me to cut their grass. So i am now happy. Sounds like you are doing well.If i can get 12 in two months i would be happy with that. :) sharon

Thanks Sharon,
Thats very encouraging. Flyers are working although I am not getting any regular work from them yet! I will just keep on keeping on!

cheers,
Ron

Ron C
21-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Welcome aboard Ron, The art of advertising without funds :i dunno: I can only suggest that you leave your flyers in shopping mall community boards, fish and chip shops, servo's, etc etc.

Everytime you do a job walk a few places up and down and across the road and slip in a flyer. Its a little time consuming but does pay off.

Signage on your vehicle or trailer is alway good.

Brian

Thanks Brian
Flyers are working to an extent, but I am not getting any regular work from them
I still need to get signage.

cheers
Ron
(Melb)

Pres Lawn
22-08-2004, 03:07 PM
This is the basic design I started with (their example) I just added my own dot points email and Web address Logo and phone number.

They are business card size although my next run will be a bigger size.

Dam good magnets, no wonder they work well for you!

Pres Lawn
22-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi Ron the old story is you have to spend money to make money. Do you look professinonal? do you have a uniform? doesnt cost to much and all so you dont need a new car or trailer just give them a wash and wax, and a new coat of paint for the trailer. Run a small line add in your local paper only about $12 per week, good luck

bradtez
27-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Also try taking your whole setup to local markets and kids fetes.clip flyers all over your trailer.....i got a lot of work that way.

In my first two months i was worried with only 10-12 regulars, but after the first 12 months, i had over 60. Keep yourself well know with FANTASTIC customer service and the business will boom

Brad

Rod
28-08-2004, 12:52 PM
If you do get your trailer "merchandised" make sure you park it at a busy local shopping center. It should work for you as a "billboard" and cost a fraction of the expense.

One good tip with customers is "talk with them" show a lot of interest in their pets, their gardens. their kids even their bad habits. Look for any opportunity to get them to talk about themselves. Make sure they do 80% of the talking just ask questions if they open up then it increases your potential. Show lots of sincere "additional interest" and it will help build the business.

Getting into peoples homes/properties is a big "trust" things for customers to allow you to enter their "bastion" of privacy.

Women just love to be listened to (true Sharon.) So if you get this right go home and impress your wife with your new "active listening" skills.

And above all do a "bloody" good job!

Topcat
29-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

Ron

Just an idea, why don't you give ebony a call and try the phone system they have b/4 you go spending $$ on advertising.

Magnet are good once you are on your feet- otherwise 700 buck just gives people a new bill holder

synicle I know :i dunno:

14 time $30.00 = $420.00 not much to play with. Try the office... get a couple of grand behind you - then invest in your business !

You'll get there
we all will get there.. one day