PDA

View Full Version : Onion weed

Robbyn M
31-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Is there anyway to kill onion weed?

( Extract from Ask Mark (http://www.indmowing.com.au) )

Mark Paisley
31-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Dear Robbyn,

Onion weed is virtually indestructable. When somebody finally comes up with an effective chemical they will make millions!

The only way I control it or TRY to control it is by repeated applications of roundup mixed with a wetting agent. This will not eradicate it. Digging it out only seems to spread the bulbs.

Best of luck!

Mark Paisley

skyliner31ette
15-07-2004, 03:40 PM
there is 1 way to get rid of it. I removed about 6 tonnes of dirt to get rid of mine :laughing: Lucky i had a dingo. Wouldnt have been to fun by hand.

Alex Callaghan
15-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Try "Tordon 75-D" or "2,4-D (make sure it has an Ester type active ingrediant)" if it's in a lawn, try hand painting machine oil onto the whole leaf area of the Onion weed when it's in the "rosette" growth stage. It's a timely and pain staking exercise and will take more than one app but I have heard from a few people that have had great succes in perminatly riding a lawn of onion weed with this method.

There are no "Selective Herbicides" for Onion weed. So carfull trial and error is the way depending on the crop sittuation.
IE.I've succesfully permenantly rid un-planted garden beds of onion weed prior to plant out with "Tordon 75-D" using two apps in two week intervils but with Other situations with plants and turf grass present you'll have to carfull.

:wave-hi:

patch
15-07-2004, 08:17 PM

I use round-up in a sprayer and put a teaspoon of morning fresh dishwash deturgent in a 5liter spayer

Pres Lawn
15-07-2004, 09:45 PM
2,4-D but be warned it will take a while and will make the soil sterile. I would try and dig it up and I mean really dig down to get the bulb !!!!!

Hondy
22-07-2004, 01:23 PM
There is a product called Sempra wich controls nutgrass and mullimbimby couch in turf and crop situations.

Tony

MikeD
18-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Use roundup in a cup and paint it on with a cloth or brush. I have alot in my garden mixed in the mondo grass. Havent done the job yet but its going to be a pain.

administrator
19-09-2006, 11:21 AM
ONION WEED SOME CALL IT GUILDFORD GRAAS

Spray onion weed guilford grass!
Yes i think Globe will GET rich from this one! Not sure on grass varietys you can use it on

Due to be realeased next couple of weeks called Destiny

250gr granuales cost $480.00 plus gst

applied @ 100gr Hec so I guess I'll be mowing and slashing it awhile yet, a bit like when glean was first released

Contact Globe Aus on 1800 244 300

THIS INFO IS FROM A THREAD TITLED
Mix bindi spray with kamba ?? MORE INFO THERE FOR YOU :aus-flag:

administrator
19-09-2006, 11:26 AM
ONION WEED PLANT (Asphodelus fistulosus) (Nox)

Semi-arid to subhumid warm-temperate regions, principally on sandy or gravelly alkaline soils of low fertility in areas with an annual rainfall of 250 to 500 mm (Parsons and Cuthbertson 1992). It is a weed of roadsides, disturbed areas and overgrazed pastures but does not dominate in well maintained pastures (Parsons and Cuthbertson 1992). Onion weed invades dry coastal vegetation, mallee shrubland, lowland grassland and grassy woodland and rock outcrop vegetation :wave-hi:

administrator
19-09-2006, 11:31 AM
TASMANIA TREATS THIS ONION WEED AS A THREAT TO THERE ISLAND

. Importation of declared weed:
(1) A person must not import or allow to be imported into Tasmania any onion weed.

It is an offence against section 57(1) of the Act to fail to comply with this prohibition. A person found committing that offence may incur an infringement fine of 4 penalty units. A person convicted in court of that offence may be liable to a fine not exceeding 50 penalty units.

The Secretary may exempt a person from this prohibition under section 60 of the Act.

To avoid committing this offence, actions including but not limited to the following should be undertaken:

* Persons travelling to Tasmania, in particular from areas infested with onion weed, such as parts of Victoria, should conduct thorough searches for the presence of the plant and apply appropriate hygiene measures, such as clothing, vehicle, machinery and baggage inspection and cleaning. Questions or concerns about weed hygiene issues should be directed to Quarantine Tasmania personnel before or directly upon disembarkation in Tasmania.
* Persons importing items to Tasmania that may contain onion weed should have these checked for the presence of the plant. This can be arranged through Quarantine Tasmania. :ebony:

waterfront landscapes
15-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi guys :russ:
what we use for onion weed in lawns. Is bin-die. We mange to kill a small area of onion weed in a lawn.

hope dis helps any one.

Landscape Level 3 4th yr apprentice

bb1
15-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Straight Roundup, Zero or any Glyphosate, don't water it down. First year it kills 90%, takes about 3 years of repeated application

ian
15-08-2007, 10:47 PM
persistence is the key to getting rid of it you spray the weed that is growing now then you have to keep spraying the regrowth but in the end you can win

kakegc
16-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi guys :russ:
what we use for onion weed in lawns. Is bin-die. We mange to kill a small area of onion weed in a lawn.

hope dis helps any one.

Landscape Level 3 4th yr apprentice

Bin-Die is good stuff alright, but don't use it on Buffalo ;)

Gary
18-08-2007, 09:05 AM
There are two species of plant referred to as onion weed/grass in Eastern States. The one I know well is Romulea Rosea, which has a pinkish/purple flower and its stem is so tough that you need very sharp blades on a mower to cut it properly.

When I landscaped my property it was a virtual carpet in my new garden beds.(I have learnt to live with it in my lawn)

I successfully beat it using a very strong dose of glysophate with a wetter (dishwashing liquid is as good as any)

It will take repeat applications and you will always get some new plants as the seed is viable for many years.

It also hates fertile soils and grows best in poor soils.

Gary

lifestyle
27-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I guess the 2 elements required for a plant to grow are Water & Light. Take away 1 or both of these and you have an eradication method.

I haven't had to deal with Onion Weed for ages but i used to put black plastic over the infected area and pour boiling hot water over it (the plastic) every day. This helps build up the heat and kills any plants trying to come through the edges of the plastic.

The same principal applies to Oxalis and other similar pesty weeds.

The key is to not only kill the "green" but also "Cook" the bulb(ils),.

Lawns Plus
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Here is a variation on the last post, ABC Story Link, (http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s73611.htm) havn't tried it yet but will post results when I have.
Cheers,
John :)

Paul
18-09-2008, 07:03 PM
i found i can get rid of it with roundup after a few applications,but it must be sprayed or painted on both sides of the leaf with an agent or detergent.best way to get rid of onion weed though is to move house :laughing:

lawn order
25-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Give this a try.
The waxy outer repels moisture so herbicides are easily shed.
When in its prime mow the weed with a blunt slow mower.
The damaged weed will spring back upright & be receptive.
Next apply herbicide with a wick or brush, thus avoiding low grasses.
More than one try is needed - persevere & win

stewart
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Is that onion weed or onion grass. :confused: onion grass is Romulea rosea. not sure what onion weed is. onion grass has little pink to violet flowers.I use Destiny by Bayer. Systemic....( Iodosulfron-methyl )

Glenofcarwoola
06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
The clover seems to be out competing it now but it was a pain 2 months ago.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
The clover seems to be out competing it now but it was a pain 2 months ago.

Clover normally thrives in nitrogen deficient soil as does onion weed

danz
07-10-2009, 10:03 PM
god i hate that onion stuff.....

lawngreen
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
god i hate that onion stuff.....

Good comment, Danz!

NLALM
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Gerry what do you do when a client has onion weed in their lawn? And they are after a weed free lawn. I just say sorry can't help I know there are some sprays that have come out saying they control it but I have never had anything to do with them.

lawngreen
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Gerry what do you do when a client has onion weed in their lawn? And they are after a weed free lawn. I just say sorry can't help I know there are some sprays that have come out saying they control it but I have never had anything to do with them.

Mark, there is a product called Destiny put out by Bayer.

It is sold only to commercial operators (with ChemCert Card) at a price around $550 to $600 for a 250 gram quantity (ie 5 times 50 gram sachets). It is not available to homeowners as it is not registered for homeowner use. Even it is was registered for homeowner use I somehow don't think there would be much of a demand for it anyway!

It is a really effective herbicide as we can selectivley remove Onion Weed, White Clover, Rye Grass and Bindii from most turf grass situations excluding Queensland Blue Couch.

Having said all that, we only use 1 gram per Spray Tank. We have not gone through our 1st sachet in 24 months.