PDA

View Full Version : Vic Is So Dry!!!

Mrs HMS
21-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I think the reason you aren't seeing the franchises on the road as much is because they won't do anything outside the square. They mow, they garden and that's it.

Indi's will more often than not look at other things they can do for their existing customers that will keep the income coming in.

Things like:

Leaves out of gutters
Basic building work like decks, garden seating
yard clean ups and rubbish removal - we offered a service specifically for those moving house (this included removal of rubbish and shed/garage/shed clean up which is easy after it's empty)
window cleaning
change that light bulb for the old dear
remove the cobwebs from under the eaves
dog poop removal...hey some customers would jump at having someone else do it!
Consult with the customers on better plant selection - watch what dies and needs to be replaced.
Consult on how to drought-proof a garden
Prepare garden beds with water saving crystals, mulching etc

At each regular job look around and ask..is there something here I would be able to do? The customer knows and trusts you already and will be greatful to have these things attended to.

The Local Gardener
21-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Need to kill my curiosity? I have seen less trailers on the road. Mine is parked at home, for a while now. I am certain I am not the only one feeling the pinch of this brutal time!!!! :i dunno:

I have the clients. Just a little tough right now. Jims/Vip's/Grey Army, hardly any on the road. Even us Indies, I see very few. Saw one Jims guy mowing dust. I thought, "is this guy for real"?.

What are you Vic guys doing to get over this hard time? If anyone is curious to know, I am working temp work for a recruitment agency and also have applied for various other things..

Would love to hear from any other people, particularly us Vic's, how everyone else is going.

PS, I would be very pleased to hear of some good news from anyone else who is doing well. :wave-hi:

geejay
21-02-2009, 05:51 PM
all good ideas for tips not to limit ones self to just gardening.

others that can help are:

check outside tiling loose ones etc(i have a few hours job to do this next week).clean up and remortar.

repair garden edges.

build garden edges.

prepare new garden beds for planting in autumn.

prepare old garden beds where plants have died from drought for planting in autumn.

check trees,splits,dangerous branches that could fall,damage guttering house etc.

carry drip irrigation spares.

clean tank inlets

clean sludge out of the bottom of older tanks.

set up to carry water tank to supply water to small garden works.

glassngrass
21-02-2009, 06:31 PM
A little tip for you all. :wave-hi:

Most councils have a 'Fire Prevention Officer'. These guys send notices to properties that have long dry grass that is deemed a fire risk. Contact your local council, make yourself known to them and register as an available contractor. If asked to tend one of the properties, do so quickly, at a fair price, and do it well, and work will come your way in Feb/Mar when much of state is a dust bowl.

Some of these 'customers' may well be PITA's who don't appreciate or are unwilling to purchase our services. When sent by council, the govt is the customer - payment guaranteed!

I hope some of you get work from this - for me it's certainly come at the right time in central Vic.

BLACK BEAR
21-02-2009, 08:07 PM
yep, i do some of those extras like many of you do. But i have decided to take time off-now only working 3 wks out of every 4 but making them full busy weeks.then doing work around the house in march, easter off with the wife in april, then will see what its like from there. :wave-hi:

geoff
21-02-2009, 08:13 PM
i am resting because i would say in april onwards people are going to go nuts with the dead garden and from experience hang on boys and girls because there will be heaps of work especially if a lot of some that will bail out leaving the ones left behind to make a killing

BLACK BEAR
21-02-2009, 08:17 PM
:frightene Hope ur right Geoff, thats what im planning on too!!

The Local Gardener
22-02-2009, 03:00 PM
thank you all so much for responding.. I'm sure it will be ok!!!! :wave-hi: