PDA

View Full Version : Ride on Modifications etc

Rod
20-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Have any of you guys (and girls) modified equipment eg: ride ons to improve fuel economy.

With the price of a barrel of oil pushing US $50 I would like to explore some ideas for reducing fuel consumption and saving some cash?

I have just put a "fuelmax" device on my Toro's fuel line that is suppose to decrease fuel consumption by close to 20%????

Any ideas or theories personal experiences ALEX? RUSS? TONY? ODIN?

mick
20-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Get a diesel! May cost the same or a tad more to start (I'm talkin the fuel itself) but they say you get more out of a tank of diesel than petrol!

What about those... Hyclone devices. Supposed to make like a cyclone funnel effect into the carby or something!

Rod
20-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Get a diesel! May cost the same or a tad more to start (I'm talking the fuel itself) but they say you get more out of a tank of diesel than petrol!

What about those... Hyclone devices. Supposed to make like a cyclone funnel effect into the carby or something!

Don't have the money to change to diesel (would love to.) Already have the Hiclone and KD Filter in the rodeo. Have to focus on the smaller stuff now like rideo ons and pushy's.

mick
20-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Admiral, do you think the Hyclones makes a difference. I have a Rodeo as well and it loves the pety, so I wouldn't mind trying something like that!!
How much are they etc? What do they actually do? Is it in the air or fuel what cha ma call its??

Tonyr
20-08-2004, 09:59 PM
G'Day Blokes!

Hyclone, I've never had one, but heard they work, you would need to be doing some miles though to recoop the cost from feul saved, imo. But, if I had a petrol ute I would fit one....if my desperate diesel was younger I'd get one for it too. Might get a price next season, can only help, unknown thing is by how much...

With mowers...great question...feul costs haven't been a concern for me since June! LOL!

My little red lawnmower is EFI , 28hp, absolute worse consumption was in the summer, raining mulching 1ft high couch down to 2'', still dunno how it did it, was about 5 lt per hour. Obviously that was rediculous so being EFI so was the consumption, but in normal conditions I believe the EFI saves a considerable amount and gives more donkeys where needed.

I would not own a non EFI again, if feul gets worse and we get better seasons diesels will get more popular, e.g the kubota ZD28PRO, awesome! But a diesel costs about $4000 more in the ZTR models, take a lot of work to benefit from the feul saving...

Sorry, have no ideas other than Hyclone...

Rod
21-08-2004, 05:20 AM
Hiclone and KD High flow air filters.

My Rodeo is a 2000 model Crew Cab V6 (with a thirst.)

I did a lot of research on Hi clones and did not believe they hype.

I was averaging 220k per tank of fuel (55lt.) The vehicle with rodeo on trailer and two pushies and a stack of other equipment (visualize the Beverley Hill Billies) weighs 3.5 ton.

The Hiclone and filter took it to 300-310k per tank overnight. I gained 80k per tank or around 160k extra per week on the usual two tanks. Thats about a half tank of fuel a week free or say $25-30 a week in savings.

Cost. $380.00 for Hiclone and filter. The filter is washable (special chemicals to clean.) The filter is guaranteed for a million miles.

The Hi clone spins the air into the fuel mixing process. The simple analogy is that when a toilet flushes notice how the water spins (same with a bath emptying) thats because it is the most efficient and quickest way if getting that medium (water) to exit or pass through the plug hole or cistern as the case may be.

The result more air in the fuel mix more horsepower and less fuel.

Tonyr
21-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Wow, that is impressive!

Did you get a noticable increase in power too?

Rod
21-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Tony,

Can't be sure about an increase in power. Although I spose you can't have one without the other.

I am hoping the fuelmax will give me a few more horses on the Toro.

mick
21-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Admiral, that sounds like a pretty good investment mate! I probably have the same engine but just a cab chassis. Without the trailer and just the basics on the ute I can get about 350km out of a tank (1500 or so kg). With the trailer / mower add another 1000kg (or so) and I get about 320km. If I get the hyclone I could possibly get over 400k's out of a tank.
Looks like a very good thing!

What sort and how difficult is it to maintain the filter on it? I mean, do you just unclip it and drop it in a bucket of chemicals or something or is there more to it than that?

Alex Callaghan
22-08-2004, 06:40 PM
RE: Hyclone!

A little pice of pressed metal that has to be the biggest gimick under the sun!

Go onto some of the 4By forums and ask about Hyclone experiances! You'll find that not one man or his dog has found it to be a worth while investment.

4By mags have done independent tests on hyclones (on dyno and fuel eficiancy tests) and they reackon it dosn't do sqwat!

Buy an ITD vehical if ya want better efficiancy and power!

Not trying to burst ya bubble Admiral but I've seen the figures in the tests and they aint good. (Glad you seem to think you are getting more Kms out of a tank though!!) :)

Rod
22-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi Alex,

Where you been hiding. The boys have been looking for you?

http://groups.msn.com/LawnMowingContractorsOfQueensland/chat

Yes I agree the reviews are all Bad. I read them all and some. As for the dyno tests I agree all bad. Spoke to mechanical engineers.

I measured fuel consumption for weeks. Recorded and documented it in great detail. I then measured it after installation and still do.

What can I say. I believe it works.

And I am an "analytical son of a *****."

Speak with you in the flesh. The boys are still there I think?

Alex Callaghan
24-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Been down to Sydney for 10 days visiting a Mate.

"Speak with you in the flesh. The boys are still there I think?" :confused: Eh? Come again?

RE: Hyclone, Glad to hear it's working for somone mate. Good thing too from what I hear about V6 Rodeos thirst!

Mabey a I should try a Hyclone in ME! I know I'm a thirsty bugger! Could be a good thing now beers reaching $2.40 per 375ml! :laughing: Mabey I should change from Melbourn Bitter to Liquid Petrolium Gas!! :)

matthew pitman
30-08-2004, 11:18 AM
i done some mods to the walker , i fitted a Garret turbo with a massive front mount water cooled intercooler and a set of 22 inch chrome rims ,
now it cuts a acrea in about 2 minutes which means that in a 10 hour day it will cut on average about 300 acreas at about $70 a piece so now im making $21000 dollars a day $174000 a week and about $3822000 year just of one mower i think i will do the same to another and look at thoses dollar signs , wish it was true and just not a dream,

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Ahhhh, ya a worry! LOL!

Now you see my world....I gotta put up with money like that running my stock standard little toro, talk about doin' it tough hey?

Might have to soup mine up too, just too much grass to cut around here, and a bloke must think about productivity. lol.

Might get an air con cab too, so I can work in the rain....always raining, grass 3'' tall, customers throwing the money at me! :cool:

matthew pitman
30-08-2004, 01:10 PM
maybe i will paint the walker red to with some pin strips down the side and a sticker i wank hard on the back then can i cruise with the big boys on the toro"s

just joking
but honestly the walker is now doing a 10 sec quater mile on av gas
:cool:

matthew pitman
30-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Ahhhh, ya a worry! LOL!

Now you see my world....I gotta put up with money like that running my stock standard little toro, talk about doin' it tough hey?

Might have to soup mine up too, just too much grass to cut around here, and a bloke must think about productivity. lol.

Might get an air con cab too, so I can work in the rain....always raining, grass 3'' tall, customers throwing the money at me! :cool:

maybe you should cut the grass with your shirt on then the custermers might stop throwing money at you to get rid of you