PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for edging

DavidS
28-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Just wondering what everyone uses for edging paths,drives and garden edges. I use a old Victa Tilta Cut for my good customers and a straight shaft Tanaka whipper snipper for the others as I find it quicker, but it does not look as good as the edger. Still have to use the Tanaka in some bits as the Victa can't get it all

simo
01-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I use a brushcutter all round with dimond edge cord cuts like a metal bladed edger and with years of practice nice and straight too..

geejay
01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
to form edge if rough, a shindawa pole prunner with french made blade on c4 mt,next cuts w/s attachment on c4 loaded with diamaond edge,gives a beaut cut for me,pole prune with blade once and a while to chop running grasses under the ground.

gjs
01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I use a dedicated stihl edger its light,takes up little room in ute and has the grunt to get through anything.
gjs

Murray
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I use an old Rover Edge Runner.

Steel blade with a B&S 3 Hp and twin belts.

Excellent job.

SouthCoast Walker
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Atom commercial 35cc Honda, Stihl FR 120 backpack brushcutter and Stihl FS 110 4mix.

paul123
04-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Atom edger for new/over grown lawns then just the wipper. Every now and again I will use the Atom again.

administrator
04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Also see thread

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=569&page=2&pp=15&highlight=edger

Arfa Brayne
08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Atom edger for new/over grown lawns then just the wipper. Every now and again I will use the Atom again.

Yeah, an old victa tiltacut for really overgrown stuff, but for regular maintainance - Don't laugh - bent shaft whippers.

I've been cutting for 12 years, when I started straight shaft were mainly brushcutters. So I got used to the head spinning clockwise on the bent shafts. Straight shaft feels like writing left handed to me now.
Bonus with bendys is they are so cheap in comparison to a straight that you just chuck em in the spares shed after 12 months of abuse and neglect.
If you know what you're doing, a whipper can finish cut as good as an Atom with the versatility to vertical cut, flat cut, double cut, and edge against walls & posts with no more than the flick of a wrist.
Remember - edge the path not the lawn - and you won't end up with a 3cm gap of missing turf.

PeteG
31-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi i find the atom a brilliant machine once every three months and
maintain with the snipper i own a kawasaki but it is to bulky to transport :cool:

phaedo
31-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Use the whipper snipper here, if you know what you are doing it comes up a treat. Versus what I saw a neighbour doing a few months ago, has a pair of secatears, took him a couple of hours, and it looked worse after he finished than it did before he started!

Bluey
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Whippy with Diamond Edge here but I am thinking of getting a dedicated edger for the really good clients.

holdenhead
21-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a customer who gets me to mow his lawn but no edges. He has a heart condition and cant push a mower but insists on doing the edges with a blade, it's accually a machetti. He has very nice edges except for the gap between the concrete and turf.

Cheers Rick

administrator
13-06-2010, 09:55 AM
guillotine edger nifty little tool .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFqFpAh24A&feature=related

Redeye
13-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Atom pro with Zenoah 34cc, tossed the honda engine, too many dramas. Usually use my Kawa brushie with 3.3mm diamond Edge though.

Andy B
13-06-2010, 04:43 PM
On my best customers places I run my cyclone hand held edger over the edges every so often so they have a nice clean cut. I usually do this after it's been raining so it's nice and soft.

But it then depends on the look of the yard and the amount of time I have, mostly I use the brushy upside down for a vertical cut but some places where there's glass or obstacles and I need it to flick back onto the grass or if in a hurry I cut them back off the curb/path at about 45degrees. It's heaps faster, heaps safer and leaves less to clean up but the down side is (in my opinion) doesn't look as good on most places. Some where the surface is raised from the paths etc it's way more practical to cut back on an angle but for the pristine ones vertical looks best I reckon.

And now that I've had a ramble... how do you use a proper edger? do the blades hit the cement and mark them or do they have a guide plate or something? I wonder if they make clean ups faster or do you have to cut it back with the brushy first anyway??

Fred's mowing
13-06-2010, 09:25 PM
guillotine edger nifty little tool .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFqFpAh24A&feature=related

Looks pretty good on spade dug edges, but not too flash on bluestones & other non perfect edging.
Would,nt want 2 do a couple of hundred meters with it:talk2hand
A sharp long handled spade (not posthole shovel) used on an angle is also fairly efficient 4 smaller jobs. Its 1 of my favorite tool to take into a property, its a real multi tasker. you can use it for cuttting off the odd broad leaf weeds b4 u mow, cut spade dug edges with it, use it as a dutch hoe, & then there,s those little bundles of joy that need to be flicked off the lawn:dean:.
Its also quite handy 4 scraping a few weeds out the concrete cracks.
The shindy multi tool edger ainty bad, but if you,ve got heaps of serious edges to do, go 4 the Atom.
Cheers Dean.

GreenHaven
15-06-2010, 08:54 AM
http://www.mowmaster.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131:edger&catid=51:new-equipment&Itemid=55

this is what i use for edging peels through anything i run the engine half revs for normal stuff full revs if it fully overgrown buffaloe or whatever. Ive never used a atom edger or any other style of edger execcpt the old style 6 wheeler one and there awfully dangerous:shifty

lenny
15-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I would use the atom edger for overgrown edgers but once I have the nice edge, it would all be done with the straight shaft whipper.

I only used the 2stroke domestic atom, as it wasn't being used all day everyday. It would only be used with new customers that had feral edges.

I believe if your using an edger on every lawn you do it would be to slow. As then your using 3 pieces of equipment edger, whipper snipper and then the mower.

administrator
15-06-2010, 09:49 AM
To slow not what this add is projecting they say it can edge 300 feet per minute :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iOxJcsCVZI&feature=related

Mick
15-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I think it all depends on the job...
First time feral edges are better with an edger. Once theres a groove the trimmer should work ok but depends on how quick the grass grows, what type of grass and how much there is to do. Edgers arent always needed but they are very handy to have!

On large jobs like the one below, an edger is the only way to go. I have a Pro Atom 2 stroke with ASP blades and could edge this place in 2.5 to 3hrs. Thats all gutters and concrete footpaths. I did half of this place with the trimmer once and took somewhere around 3hrs, and I was beat! Killed my back big time! Basically, the Atom was at least twice as quick as the trimmer and it didnt hurt! lol

http://i50.tinypic.com/10h92y1.jpg

Andy B
15-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Wow, some developers have too much money! Why did they turf it all or is all weed?

Mick
15-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Turf only on footpaths either side of roads, the park in the middle and a few other small areas scattered around. The house blocks were seeded and other areas on the right left as pasture. Im sure it will be built on at some stage. Its going to have 10 stages and what we're looking at is Stage 1.

starmow
15-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I have domestic atom edger and I hope in future maybe come Pro Atom edger:dance:dance

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
15-06-2010, 09:03 PM
To slow not what this add is projecting they say it can edge 300 feet per minute :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iOxJcsCVZI&feature=related

I would love to inspect some of those edges.

I use the atom professional ( courtesy of INDI thankyou ) on some of my lawns and overgrown edges and I couldn't imagine them coming out to good at that speed.

Bgs
15-06-2010, 10:04 PM

I use the atom professional ( courtesy of INDI thankyou ) on some of my lawns and overgrown edges and I couldn't imagine them coming out to good at that speed.

I noticed that in vid looks like he missed a few bits.

I have the edger attachment for my sthil multi tool I find a real quick whizz over with the whippy afterwards brings it up a treat, Does the atom require that as well?

Andy B
15-06-2010, 10:19 PM

You mean Santa Claus. :slam dunk

SouthCoast Walker
15-06-2010, 11:12 PM

I have the edger attachment for my sthil multi tool I find a real quick whizz over with the whippy afterwards brings it up a treat, Does the atom require that as well?

Yeah it doesn't hurt to run over it with the snipper afterwards, I had the 35cc Honda unit until it seized up, now got a 2 stroke Komatsu and find it a lot better, high revs and loads of power make for a cleaner faster cut.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
15-06-2010, 11:38 PM

I do on overgrown edges. Gets any bits that I might have missed and don't have to go back over later when I do clean up

Christine Wharton
15-06-2010, 11:46 PM
We use our Shindaiwa whippersnipper...it saves us having to have yet another item of equipment on board ;)

63impala
16-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Yah i got the kamtsu to kich as I dont know how that chick does all here edging with a wipper expecial when you got thick thatch on the edges and the line just bounce off...

GreenHaven
16-06-2010, 04:31 PM
i reckon i could edge 300 feet per minute if it was a continuous path with no breaks in it and i was running the edger on the path not the lawn but you would have to stop to bash the blade straight agian after a while and grind the blade hard against the kerb to keep it flush but it wouldnt be econmical or safe for that matter

Bluey
16-06-2010, 07:13 PM

I have the edger attachment for my stihl multi tool I find a real quick whizz over with the whippy afterwards brings it up a treat, Does the atom require that as well?

Same here. I have the edger attachment for my stihl multi but only really use that on the over grown new jobs to cut the edge in first up. Once I have it cut in use the whippy just to maintain it.

I like the ease of use of the multitool. Have the edger, hedger, whippy and pole saw attachments. Next I am going to get the little tiller attachment. They don't take up as much room as individual tools would.

Bluey
16-06-2010, 07:16 PM
300 feet a minute??????????

Thats 5 feet a second. No way:wtf

Fred's mowing
16-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Same here. I have the edger attachment for my stihl multi but only really use that on the over grown new jobs to cut the edge in first up. Once I have it cut in use the whippy just to maintain it.

I like the ease of use of the multitool. Have the edger, hedger, whippy and pole saw attachments. Next I am going to get the little tiller attachment. They don't take up as much room as individual tools would.

Bluey, the tiller is OK on sandy/moist soils but will just bounce on hard dry clay. Its alright 4 mixing a little compost into a small area, but it aint no rotary hoe!
Cheers Dean.

Fred's mowing
16-06-2010, 10:03 PM

Yer he missed some & alot only needed a slight touch anyway.
They are a good machine, ive used mine on thick buffalo & kikuyu, it will even slice through paspalum , but not at that speed!

Kinda like those rachet loppers, Im sure the owners also have a poplar/hibiscus farm;).
Cheers Dean.

63impala
17-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I have seen alote lattle dudes mowing first and the edging after any one here do that and why....:pop worm:pop worm

Eastwood
17-06-2010, 09:07 AM
most jobs I mow first then edge if grass not to long, why? because I find it a little quicker. On good lawns I use the cut area as a template for the edge so it is the same height as cut area especially along fence line and edges and around trees all looks good with minimal grass klippings. On ferrall jobs I whippersnip first,then cut.

administrator
17-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Or you can use a stick edger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUm9EOKeCk ;dealers;

DavidS
17-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I use a Little Wonder Lawn edger for the feral lawns and then I use the Atom edger to keep the edges looking smick, if the lawns are just cheapys then I just whipper the edges.

Bluey
17-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Bluey, the tiller is OK on sandy/moist soils but will just bounce on hard dry clay. Its alright 4 mixing a little compost into a small area, but it aint no rotary hoe!
Cheers Dean.

Yeh thanks Dean. I had figured that after having a look at one. Actually thought it would come in handy for my veggie garden

Fred's mowing
17-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeh thanks Dean. I had figured that after having a look at one. Actually thought it would come in handy for my veggie garden

Fine mixing stuff into the vege garden:cool:.
Cheers Dean.

DavidS
17-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes those cultivators on the end of W/S are only good for Veggie patches, no good to make them but great once they are made. I have a Rotary Hoe and some times this bounces around digging hard soil. Lately I have been constructing one Veggie garden a month, the tiller would be good for mixing in the blood & bone, horse manure, chook manure, lime and compost.

Redeye
17-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I use a small honda tiller occasionally - its like a kid on a trampoline unless the ground has been turned previously

geoff
17-06-2010, 08:20 PM
atom edger but cant beat me kawasksi edger with the disc that gives a 12 mm groove , just straight and pure...always a winner for the good customers..actually brings in a lot of new ones too

Fred's mowing
18-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Or you can use a stick edger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUm9EOKeCk ;dealers;

Yer, interesting clip but did u notice his posture?
The D handle needs replacing with a long bar type arrangement.
This also applies when u use your whippy horizontally, thats why the handlebar ones are preferred 4 long stints in overgrown areas.
Obviously they,re more awkward 4 doing edges though:madnoel.
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
20-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm seriously re-thinking my tools plan to include an edger, I underquoted a job yesterday which ended up taking between 3 and 4.5 metres of chord.

gcsmow
22-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah, an old victa tiltacut for really overgrown stuff, but for regular maintainance - Don't laugh - bent shaft whippers.

I've been cutting for 12 years, when I started straight shaft were mainly brushcutters. So I got used to the head spinning clockwise on the bent shafts. Straight shaft feels like writing left handed to me now.
Bonus with bendys is they are so cheap in comparison to a straight that you just chuck em in the spares shed after 12 months of abuse and neglect.
If you know what you're doing, a whipper can finish cut as good as an Atom with the versatility to vertical cut, flat cut, double cut, and edge against walls & posts with no more than the flick of a wrist.
Remember - edge the path not the lawn - and you won't end up with a 3cm gap of missing turf.

You are absolutely correct Arfa, Your third paragraph is exactly why I don't use an edger. I couldn't have put it better myself. I had one for a while but got rid of it because it was too much friggin around and therefore stopped using it, it just took up too much room in the back of the ute. By the time I unroped it, took it out, put fuel in it and did the edge I could have done it just as well with the snipper anyway. I never get any complaints about my edges so I don't bother using an edger.

As I say to my off-siders "Poison is a wipper snipper mans' best friend".

I can't say I agree with bent shaft w-snippers but, I'm 6 foot 2 and I have to bend my back too much, but to each their own if it works for you keep doing it. (we have had this discussion before):clap:

imoww
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I use the good Old Victa tilt a cut for overgrown grass on the concrete. And at times the stick edger. The victa is pretty good for the thick grass to get that crisp straigh cut edge. If needed, I'll use the trimmer for those hard to get at corners.

imoww
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I have heard all about the Atom edgers... Aparrently they are the best thing since sliced bread??? I watched my neighbour last week using a brand new Atom pro. It looked a bit bulky. Are they better than the Victa tilt a cut, other edgers or stick edgers? To me, they all seem to do the same thing.

Fred's mowing
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I have heard all about the Atom edgers... Aparrently they are the best thing since sliced bread??? I watched my neighbour last week using a brand new Atom pro. It looked a bit bulky. Are they better than the Victa tilt a cut, other edgers or stick edgers? To me, they all seem to do the same thing.

Yer, when it comes down to it they,re just all rotating steel blades.
Cheers Dean.

imoww
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
An edger for over grown thick grass, then trimmer to contain it.

NLALM
02-07-2010, 11:56 AM
An edger for over grown thick grass, then trimmer to contain it.

That is right but as you know using the tilta cut nothing gives a better edge than a three wheeled machine. I use the atom cause it is light and easy to throw on the ute. And only use it on overgrown places or where there is heaps of edging like most guys on here you can get very good with a snipper so you don't drag out the edger for every lawn. I also have a kawasaki for the ferral edges it is the best edger I have ever used much like the tiltacut. Good edges make the job I think you can mow with the best mower in the world but if your edges aren't neat the job will look like crap

gcsmow
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree 100% with your last sentence. That's what I try to tell my workers.

Fred's mowing
03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I agree 100% with your last sentence. That's what I try to tell my workers.

x2, sometimes, I think even more important:cool:.
Cheers Dean.

The Local Gardener
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm seriously re-thinking my tools plan to include an edger, I underquoted a job yesterday which ended up taking between 3 and 4.5 metres of chord.

Dude, I just recemtly sold my Atom 4 stroke. It only did les than 5 hours work....

administrator
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Best edger on the market

www.mey.com.au

NLALM
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Admin yes they are another excellent 3 wheeled machine I think most guys in WA use them are they available on the east coast I have never seen one over here?

administrator
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Mark for somebody that just purchased trimmer racks from America i dont think you need shops on the East Coast to buy their products from WA lol

And if they did youd be paying 200 more for them :magic

GreenHaven
03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
mey are pretty good i have broken a few of there frames though not a big fan of the numatic tyres though ive proberly got more patches than tubes on my mow master one right now

administrator
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I Have had mine a long time no handles broken ,any air filled tyres i allways load up with tyre stop leak .

I also maintain my equipment to a high standard not because it saves me money i just like maintaining them :whipit

ian
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I Have had mine a long time no handles broken ,any air filled tyres i allways load up with tyre stop leak .

I also maintain my equipment to a high standard not because it saves me momey i just like maintaining them :whipit

i also used to enjoy fixing and maintaining my equipment but now i spend so much time on here that it looks like crap :rolleyes:

GreenHaven
04-07-2010, 10:18 PM

I also maintain my equipment to a high standard not because it saves me money i just like maintaining them :whipit

as do i, my girl freind reckons i should start a mower shop when i get older but i dont thing i could deal with people coming in with broken bigw electric snippers all the time. But it does save you heaps of cash and give you a great deal of personal satifaction when you do a good job.

The frames broke at the front where the engines mounts to the frame but now that i think about it i do recall the flexy staff casuals workers riding them down hills like skateboards so yeh that might have something to do with it:monkey

imoww
15-07-2010, 02:54 AM
I have a Victa tilt a cut edger.
Can anyone answer this?
What is the diference between a disk blade and the straight flat blade? (as in a stick edger)
Most edgers come off the fatory floor with the stick flat blade but it's becoming popular to change the blade to a disk blade..
I've noticed the disk blade cuts wider than the stick blade...

Andy B
25-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Firstly, gotta love the fathers day bunnings booklet that arrived in the letter box today. :)

Secondly, in it is a Star products 2.5hp 4-stroke edger... anyone had a play with one?

Wattle GC
25-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I have a Victa tilt a cut edger.
Can anyone answer this?
What is the diference between a disk blade and the straight flat blade? (as in a stick edger)
Most edgers come off the fatory floor with the stick flat blade but it's becoming popular to change the blade to a disk blade..
I've noticed the disk blade cuts wider than the stick blade...

Good question.. I have tried both and found the same as you..the only other diffrence i noticed was a much finer cut with the disk especially on couch..

imoww
26-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Anyone use a straight shaft stick edger? I have 3 big regular corp clients with long nature strips. Basically, i mow the whole street on all 3. (Complexes)
Ive been watching allot of USA videos on the large properties they mow and they all use a straight shaft stick edger. (Very quick and excellent results)
Ive used those bloody atoms (hopeless things) Settled with the Victa tilt a cut. but its too bulky to drag along in the ute.
The whippy is killing me when edging these large areas.
Im thinking of testing out a cheapie straight shaft stick edger . But where do you get them? google shows all of them in the USA

Mow And Go
26-06-2015, 04:50 PM
I have the split shaft bent shindaiwa edger matt, they are a good piece of gear.

hjl
26-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Hi imoww
There were some cheap straight shaft edgers on ebay a while ago. Might be worth a look.
Cheers
hjl

BSD
26-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Aitkin cycles mowers and stuff, I think its the correct spelling, Blaxland road Campbelltown next to the roundabout near Repco, I brought a Parklander multi tool in 2013 and it has the edger stick, works fine and I never use it much, $500 for the lot and the whippy is my main use. But there is lots of interesting things that may catch your eye,... aye. !

imoww
26-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys.
I've been checking evil bay but nothing there. Also I'm after the straight whole shaft. Not going to use a multi type. Too heavy.

BeetleJuice
26-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I was looking for the same thing last year and found nothing in straight shaft,walked into the mower shop which started selling stihl gear and there it was in split shaft for around $800 bux.Haven't bought it yet as it's a bit pricey.Stihl offer bent and straight shaft.I currently use the rover bent shaft edger.
A mob called "deals direct" in VIC sold the straight shafts for $110 with a 26cc motor but they are currently out of stock,don't think the motors would last too long but hey you never know.
http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/KombiSystem/KombiTools/21171-1593/FCS-KM.aspx

imoww
27-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks BJ.
I think the the straight shaft non-combo is the go. lighter and It can be thrown on the racks with the whippy.
I was looking for the same thing last year and found nothing in straight shaft,walked into the mower shop which started selling stihl gear and there it was in split shaft for around $800 bux.Haven't bought it yet as it's a bit pricey.Stihl offer bent and straight shaft.I currently use the rover bent shaft edger.
A mob called "deals direct" in VIC sold the straight shafts for $110 with a 26cc motor but they are currently out of stock,don't think the motors would last too long but hey you never know.
http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/KombiSystem/KombiTools/21171-1593/FCS-KM.aspx

imoww
27-06-2015, 08:44 AM
This is one of the properties i look after. and these pics are only half the houses.

BeetleJuice
27-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Last year i asked the dealer who sells Honda,Shindaiwa,Rover,Echo and now Stihl.He opened up all the catalog ranges on trimmer/edgers and none had offered straight shaft in Australia.But going onto U.S. manufacturers web sites i'd seen the Echo straight shaft on offer which aren't sold here,we weren't able to find any other brands here on offer.It's almost as if no one's really interested in them for them to be on offer.

RSM-Gazza
27-06-2015, 04:54 PM
The biggest job on edging for me is a half Km long job which has to be walked 6 times re edges as it has two footpaths and separated by a service road with 9 cross over driveways. Have written approval from Council to work on their land. Client wants entire business frontage perfect with full vertical edges.
Use my husky now deleted commercial 323L straight shaft Whippy with 2.4 Trail Blazer. Used me Red Atom 2 stroke to cut it on first visiit 5 yrs back. Never use the Atom now, as hardly ever take on new clients and rarely feral jobs.
Yes a lot of edging, but customer requests frequent service so the vertical edge is well maintained.
Find this the quickest way to get this mega job done and edges are quite straight very close to or equal to residential standards.

Found out the Husky 323L which is the lightest in the range was being deleted.
It's replacement model being 420gm heavier - Grrr! Which is going backwards re weight. So I bought another 323L at deleted price to keep as a spare for down the track.
Works for me.

steveo
11-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Anyone use a straight shaft stick edger? I have 3 big regular corp clients with long nature strips. Basically, i mow the whole street on all 3. (Complexes)
Ive been watching allot of USA videos on the large properties they mow and they all use a straight shaft stick edger. (Very quick and excellent results)
Ive used those bloody atoms (hopeless things) Settled with the Victa tilt a cut. but its too bulky to drag along in the ute.
The whippy is killing me when edging these large areas.
Im thinking of testing out a cheapie straight shaft stick edger . But where do you get them? google shows all of them in the USA

I stumbled across this. It's not straight shaft, but its a dedicated edger on an aussie website. There must be a good reason the shaft is bent on a dedicated edger. I dunno anything about them.

http://poweruplawncare.com.au/home/brands/maruyama/ed2600-rs-edger/

imoww
12-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Ive been looking all over the place but cant get a dedicated straight shaft stick edger anywhere in Aust. So im gonna make my own.
Im buying a Tanaka Whippy TBC215 cheap and now need to get the edger attachment but not sure what will fit.
Does anyone know what other brands i.e. Echo, john deer etc have the 7 tooth spline shaft?

BeetleJuice
12-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Somewhere i read where is was tried and didn't work but i never heard why it didn't work,maybe on this forum

imoww
12-07-2015, 12:11 PM
That's not good.
I'll try. I've seen guys in the USA do it with a Sthil whippy. Hopefully I can do it with a Tanaka.

Somewhere i read where is was tried and didn't work but i never heard why it didn't work,maybe on this forum

PhilG
13-07-2015, 08:37 AM
The biggest job on edging for me is a half Km long job which has to be walked 6 times re edges as it has two footpaths and separated by a service road with 9 cross over driveways. Have written approval from Council to work on their land. Client wants entire business frontage perfect with full vertical edges.
Use my husky now deleted commercial 323L straight shaft Whippy with 2.4 Trail Blazer. Used me Red Atom 2 stroke to cut it on first visiit 5 yrs back. Never use the Atom now, as hardly ever take on new clients and rarely feral jobs.
Yes a lot of edging, but customer requests frequent service so the vertical edge is well maintained.
Find this the quickest way to get this mega job done and edges are quite straight very close to or equal to residential standards.

Found out the Husky 323L which is the lightest in the range was being deleted.
It's replacement model being 420gm heavier - Grrr! Which is going backwards re weight. So I bought another 323L at deleted price to keep as a spare for down the track.
Works for me.

I would be using the Atom. Easier on the body and much quicker.

Redeye
13-07-2015, 09:39 AM
+1

geoff
13-07-2015, 09:47 AM
I would be using the Atom. Easier on the body and much quicker.

I have multi kms of edging on some of my hotels and have to agree with Phil.....theres no way i am holding up a whipper or any pole arrangement so much easier with the atom you can just about run with the buggar ..for my old body definatley the Atom

geoff
13-07-2015, 09:54 AM
reckon this will do me ....
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXAR qoZycI-c&ei=n_2iVZzCM8TAmAXVz6ygBg&usg=AFQjCNH3FsnSKdwp1Fa4eZtR14O2etqn1Q

BeetleJuice
13-07-2015, 10:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2oLe4le-XA

Redeye
13-07-2015, 12:07 PM
still think the atom would be quicker and l wonder how long the flexible shaft lasts?

BeetleJuice
13-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I had the Atom but didn't like the way these atom's 2 stroke start during hot weather with there 28 step starting procedure,on the bent stick shaft it's run a year so far but i bought extra stick attachment cheap of ebay just incase it failed.I fitted half a bullhorn on the shaft so right hand on trigger left hand on the extended bullhorn.I did it like that so when i walk forwards i stand square to the direction i'm going,i still have the loop handle on it if needed.
i'd use the stick edger usually 3-6 jobs a day

imoww
13-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I hated the atom...it chewed up the grass too much and left a gap between the concrete and grass. the Victa tilt a cut was better and left a razor sharp finish in one go. no going back and forwards like those atoms.
Ive seen lots of videos on youtube with the stick edgers. some guys almost run with them.... and they seem to be lighter and take up less room in the trailer or ute.

Fred's mowing
13-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Ive been looking all over the place but cant get a dedicated straight shaft stick edger anywhere in Aust. So im gonna make my own.
Im buying a Tanaka Whippy TBC215 cheap and now need to get the edger attachment but not sure what will fit.
Does anyone know what other brands i.e. Echo, john deer etc have the 7 tooth spline shaft?

Matt, saw a stihl one at Ace saw service in Braeside the other day, so they must be available.
Ring Stihl Australia, they should be able to help.
Cheers Fred.

imoww
13-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks Fred.

Matt, saw a stihl one at Ace saw service in Braeside the other day, so they must be available.
Ring Stihl Australia, they should be able to help.
Cheers Fred.

sterlo
14-07-2015, 03:48 PM
if your getting a bad finish using an atom then u are using it wrong

Sterlo

PhilG
14-07-2015, 04:34 PM
if your getting a bad finish using an atom then u are using it wrong

Sterlo

Totally agree.

troppo
14-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I hated the atom...it chewed up the grass too much and left a gap between the concrete and grass. the Victa tilt a cut was better and left a razor sharp finish in one go. no going back and forwards like those atoms.
Ive seen lots of videos on youtube with the stick edgers. some guys almost run with them.... and they seem to be lighter and take up less room in the trailer or ute.

I remember seeing another contractor in my early days using a straight shaft stick edger who was nearly running with it. Left a really good finish as well. Was doing really long pathways/kerb and made a mental note to myself that is the way to go if I got jobs like that (haven't yet). I am of the same opinion about Atoms etc taking up too much room.

Macka
14-07-2015, 07:16 PM
I use the Atom on every vertical i can.

tried the stick edger it is good if the edges are not to heavy, I found with the kikuka grass the edge's where to thick for the stick edger to do at speed, not enough weight to keep it in the groove and I found myself physically holding it down. my stick edger is in the shed.

I like the fact the the Atom is a no brainier, you dont need to even concentrate and the results are perfect, just walk along the edges and the jobs done.

On one job "10 Units" I do about 250m of varied length Vertical edges.

With the Whippy alone the total time of all edging was 90min

With the Atom and Whippy the total time is 65 minutes and the job is always perfect.

imoww
20-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Need advice guys.
Still fc55 stick edger?
I'm just about to buy one.
Anyone know if it's worth $175

hjl
23-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Maruyama make a stick edger. Model no.ED2600. Was told price is $699.60
Might be of interest.
Cheers
hjl

imoww
23-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks buddy but I just bought the Sthil

Maruyama make a stick edger. Model no.ED2600. Was told price is $699.60
Might be of interest.
Cheers
hjl

AJD Mowing
24-07-2015, 02:40 PM
How you going with walking forwards with the whippy Mat?

djkgrounds
24-07-2015, 06:47 PM
My old Victa edger, works a treat. Picked it up as an exchange for the 3 dead mower bodies lying around the yard. Starts pretty much on the second pull every time.

imoww
25-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Hey Dean... Walking forward is still a bit hard to get used to but learning from the best buddy.
I just purchased the Stick edger for the extremely long nature strips i do on some clients lawns. 3 of them are 200-350 metres long...Even walking forward on these is a killer.
The stick edger works a treat on these jobs.... Ive got the victa tilta cut too which is great for the heavy stuff. But now a days i only do the maintaining of properties. no more one offs / new over grown jobs...

How you going with walking forwards with the whippy Mat?

Dave23
28-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Whipper snipper every day of the week for me. I have an Atom but it is WAY to hard on my back being 6'6". Planning on getting an edging attachment for my Tanaka multi tool for overgrown edges though.

imoww
28-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I too am 6'4' and have the same issue with edgers on my back.
The Tanaka edger attachment is costly too $230 odd.
The stick edger (Same as the Tanaka attachment) is great for my back. I can even do it one handed.

Whipper snipper every day of the week for me. I have an Atom but it is WAY to hard on my back being 6'6". Planning on getting an edging attachment for my Tanaka multi tool for overgrown edges though.

Mow And Go
28-07-2015, 07:39 PM
I can even do it one handed. ...still talking about edging I hope Matt. You concern me greatly at times lol

m287j
28-07-2015, 10:12 PM
...still talking about edging I hope Matt. You concern me greatly at times lol

Too funny, that was a good one.

Macka
29-07-2015, 07:24 AM
just switched to 2mm diamond line to give it a demo, it cuts a thinner groove and it seem to be a big improvement in my edging with it. I wears as good as the 2.4.

worth trying is you having trouble getting a straight edge with the trimmer.

imoww
16-08-2015, 08:51 PM
After using the Stick edger for a few weeks... Im still not 100% on it. They do a great job but i think training myself to walk forward with vertical edging ( whipper snipper) is allot quicker. plus trimming as you go for the top of the grass in corners etc...

Greenie
16-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I would love to try one:)where did u buy it?

BeetleJuice
16-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Here it shows how fast you can go with the stick edger(he's left handed )but it's still that bit awkward having the body twisted.
I'll take a picture of my set up and post a picture for you tomorrow which makes it easier to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNkbTtqvW0

Macka
16-08-2015, 10:46 PM
After using the Stick edger for a few weeks... Im still not 100% on it. They do a great job but i think training myself to walk forward with vertical edging ( whipper snipper) is allot quicker. plus trimming as you go for the top of the grass in corners etc...

i changed to smaller 2mm diamond edge cord and I can dame near run and trim a vertical edge now, I tried the stick edger didnt like it.

imoww
17-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Cant wait to see some pics Beetlejuice. Its a bit of a weird way im using the stick edger....

Hey Greengo. Stick edgers are extremely rare in Aust... They are for the American market.
I found mine on an ebay store.

steveo
17-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Here it shows how fast you can go with the stick edger(he's left handed )but it's still that bit awkward having the body twisted.
I'll take a picture of my set up and post a picture for you tomorrow which makes it easier to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNkbTtqvW0

In the video it seems to me that the way he is holding the whipper snipper means his body is more twisted with the whipper snipper. How does the vibration of the stick edger compare to the whippy?

imoww
17-08-2015, 09:25 AM
There's not much vibration from the stick edger. It just sits in the groove and pulls you along.
It can be done holding the edger with one hand

In the video it seems to me that the way he is holding the whipper snipper means his body is more twisted with the whipper snipper. How does the vibration of the stick edger compare to the whippy?

imoww
17-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know of a whipper snipper that rotates clockwise?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Only ones I know of are bent shaft snippers.

The dude in the video talks about the big wide groove but if he stood on the lawn he would find its a lot easier to keep a fine groove.

troppo
17-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Only ones I know of are bent shaft snippers.

The dude in the video talks about the big wide groove but if he stood on the lawn he would find its a lot easier to keep a fine groove.

I agree. I use 2.4mm trailblazer in a Speed Feed head and get a nice fine edge. I could make a wide deep groove if I wanted to - suppose it depends on how steady you are with the hands. Don't see many of the contractors around here doing vertical cuts, just scalp the edges on the horizontal and what's that saying - 'A good tradesman never blames his tools'.

Bluey
17-08-2015, 04:44 PM
I really couldn't be bothered in using one. Have one for my kombi tool but it is just a pain putting it on to do it and taking it off. Prefer to do the edges with the whippy and go on to trim around other obstructions. I do use it for overgrown edges from time to time though.

BeetleJuice
17-08-2015, 05:56 PM
The Rover has the D handle and one bullhorn.Once you get the first grove done in a new lawn from then on i don't use the D handle i just place my hand on the bullhorn that squares me up to the direction i'm going so i'm standing more upright.Much more comfortable as the stick edger gets used on 75% of jobs and a second line trimmer to finish off around plants etc.

Today i picked up a stihl powerhead and transferred everything over from the rover.Most brands are interchangeable with attachments.The machine never gets used as a line trimmer.

imoww
17-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Here is the stick edger I got. ( for greenie to have a look)8454

Greenie
17-08-2015, 10:19 PM
I just ordered the tanaka attatchment for my multi -combo for 200 bucks its worth a try to see If i like it

South East Mowing
17-08-2015, 11:26 PM

Which way you lookin at it:p

imoww
18-08-2015, 12:58 PM
From where you hold the whippy looking down the shaft to the head.... ( I'm gonna get some funky desperate a reply to this)
Which way you lookin at it:p

imoww
18-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I sued the stick edger today with great results. 84598460

Redeye
18-08-2015, 08:24 PM
look at it in the mirror - fixed!

steveo
18-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I sued the stick edger today with great results. 84598460

that does look good

BeetleJuice
18-08-2015, 09:36 PM
That clean straight cut finish is one of the biggest reasons the customers keep me around as they haven't seen anything like it before,i always blow out the grove which makes it more noticeable.
You should be able to get 4-5 weeks from a blade

imoww
19-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Same here. i blow out the grass from the grove also. And the customers love the clean cut. I think thats why i keep theses customers. 4-5 weeks for the blade to last is pretty good. So far im into the 4th week with it and its showing wear n tear
That clean straight cut finish is one of the biggest reasons the customers keep me around as they haven't seen anything like it before,i always blow out the grove which makes it more noticeable.
You should be able to get 4-5 weeks from a blade

Greenie
19-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Same here. i blow out the grass from the grove also. And the customers love the clean cut. I think thats why i keep theses customers. 4-5 weeks for the blade to last is pretty good. So far im into the 4th week with it and its showing wear n tear

i blow the grove out also...problem im finding now,,,with this new shindawia backpack blower it blowes the grass out of the ground hehe

imoww
19-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Could always hire this girl (Sue) to do your edging?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-k-fzS8KdE

BeetleJuice
17-09-2015, 10:37 PM

imoww would you like to update us on how it's going using the edger

imoww
18-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Sure thing. BJ.
i would say it's the best edger ive used.
Its now sitting in the shed.... Its great but like all edgers, worked out too time consuming.
It saves allot of time edging but you have to go back with the whipper snipper to do all the flat top parts and hard to get at corners with the mower.

imoww would you like to update us on how it's going using the edger

BeetleJuice
18-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Sure thing. BJ.
i would say it's the best edger ive used.
Its now sitting in the shed.... Its great but like all edgers, worked out too time consuming.
It saves allot of time edging but you have to go back with the whipper snipper to do all the flat top parts and hard to get at corners with the mower.

Understandably everyone sees things differently.I'm too used to mine as i speed walk through the job this time of year when it's growing it's fastest majority being kik.Currently i use two trimmers to get it done.During summer slower growing dry lawns i switch back to only a line trimmer where possible.

imoww
11-10-2015, 04:32 PM
The stick edger is feed ect for that clean slice on long nature strips. Done this one today8559