PDA

View Full Version : Ladies What whipper-snipper do you use!

Kim
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I used to use a big industrial stihl like the one you mentioned, the trick I found (I am a small frame) is to shorten the handles (slide them down the pole further) this takes the weight off, if you balance the weight properly she shouldn't feel it, now I use an Echo (not industrial) but it has got grunt, the problem with the snippers I find is they are made for taller people so if you get the adjustment right and take some weight off, she shouldn't have a problem, also the harness makes a difference, the one sided ones seem to squash one tit if you know what I mean :p where as the two sided ones gives double squishy, more balanced. Hope this helps! Oh and the Echo has been going strong for 3 years now without missing a beat.

tree beard
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I have a female offside and she is tops! no disputing it. however she has real problems with my line trimmer. its the biggest sthill with a D handle on it. I know what is good for me obviously doesnt suite her so??? what one do you use or prefer. Would love your input as I would like to get her up to speed on the line trimmer and am prepared to get whatever is best.... based on size, weight, ease of starting etc. :confused:

your advice please

Countrymile
05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Kim and Treebeard,

This has been the real thorn in my side too. I am not tall either at 5"5', and I think that might be the big problem. I always say, it's a pity they don't make kids sized whippys.

I have found that moving the handles helps, as does a much shorter strap. I throw the strap over my left shoulder so it crosses my chest and makes it shorter. I am used to the Bull handles on the Stihl now, but I love my little husky. It's light but it just doesn't have the grunt of the Stihl. You do get more used to it, but they still never feel quite right.

I have considered getting the full harness, but it seems like a time waster unless it makes a really big difference, and these are probably made for big strapping lads also, so I think you really need to try before you buy. The next one, I will really do some tyre kicking and try on a lot of whippys before I buy.
Cheers
Shannon

haireyscarie
05-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes, but all you lawnies driving past would say " look at that lawn grub, cowgirl, using a bent shaft" ;)
LMFAO
you are a funny lady
cheers
:ebony: :ebony: scarie :ebony: :ebony:

haireyscarie
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, but all you lawnies driving past would say " look at that lawn grub, cowgirl, using a bent shaft" ;)
i keep jumping back in time and in your mind ..
and say the things before you
lol

haireyscarie
05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
This way I always get the last word ;dealers;
not if i think of what you type before you do
11.10 time

Bgs
05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
would a good quality bent shaft whipper snipper make a difference, I know they are not commercial grade but would they be lighter and easier to use

Countrymile
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Countrymile
05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
This way I always get the last word ;dealers;

Bgs
05-03-2009, 11:10 PM

That's why i said good quality like sthil or honda, echo ect and most guys driving past wouldn't be looking at what brand of whipper snipper you had :p

Kim
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I have used and tried just about every sort of Whipper (being as I worked for alot of shires on the gardens crew), and I really don't think the brand matters as far as being built for women or men, as I said before you just have to know how to adjust the whipper for your height (man or woman) if you can have your strap on and the snipper is just dangling off the ground and balanced correctly and the handles are adjusted to your height you shouldn't have a problem, if you feel it pulling to one side on your lower back adjust the handles, far to many siatic nerves get damaged this way. The doulbe harness is great for big jobs and saving your back Shannon and it is alot more comfortable with the bigger whippers, but for little jobs I just use the one sided strap.

Bgs
06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi,

I have a female offside and she is tops! no disputing it. however she has real problems with my line trimmer. its the biggest sthill with a D handle on it. I know what is good for me obviously doesnt suite her so??? what one do you use or prefer. Would love your input as I would like to get her up to speed on the line trimmer and am prepared to get whatever is best.... based on size, weight, ease of starting etc. :confused:

your advice please

A back pack trimmer might also suit her situation.

Bluey
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I wonder if you could get one made to order for length or if you could adjust one somehow?? Take a bit of the length out maybe :i dunno:

geoff
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
come on girls , my mums 76 and shes uses a shindy whipper on the farm day in day out at never whinges , come on nancy girls if an ol girl can do it without complaining so can u....

Countrymile
06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Darren insists there is only one room in the house I need to cut the grass. :laughing:

ian
06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
come on girls you should be able to keep the floor clean enough so that grass doesn't grow in the kitchen or laundry

Bluey
06-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Errrr ....you might need these mate..lol :boxer:

Kim
07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
come on girls you should be able to keep the floor clean enough so that grass doesn't grow in the kitchen or laundry

At least we know how to clean a floor ;frosty;

tree beard
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Ok so if generally there is not a preference for a brand other than possibly powerful and light. what about D handle against the bull horn handlebars???

Thanks for the feed back so far :i dunno: :ebony:

ian
07-03-2009, 11:46 PM
on a serious note i'm married so don't need to know how to clean it's my job to make a mess so she doesn't get bored . on a less serious note have you looked at the shindaiwa t230 not as much power as the t260's but nearly 1 kg lighter and almost 2.5 inches shorter and the wife reckons the extra inches do make a differance :)

Countrymile
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advice Ian, you have redeemed yourself ;)

Mrs HMS
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
come on girls , my mums 76 and shes uses a shindy whipper on the farm day in day out at never whinges , come on nancy girls if an ol girl can do it without complaining so can u....

Acutally it's all you blokes that seem to be insisting we need a lighter and shorter snipper, not us girls. ;)

I used the Echo same as Timmy, never adjusted it, never had to.

tree beard
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Acutally it's all you blokes that seem to be insisting we need a lighter and shorter snipper, not us girls. ;)

I get your point! your just saying my offsider is crap cause she doesnt have enough practice ;frosty;

Will look at the echo and put her to work!

Thanks

geejay
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
on a serious note i'm married so don't need to know how to clean it's my job to make a mess so she doesn't get bored . on a less serious note have you looked at the shindaiwa t230 not as much power as the t260's but nearly 1 kg lighter and almost 2.5 inches shorter and the wife reckons the extra inches do make a differance :)

has your wife given others brands a go, like the ryobi bent shaft from bunnings,it is light ,and extra inches could be gained for some work by the bend in the shaft.i.e under over hanging shrubs.

Mrs HMS
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I get your point! your just saying my offsider is crap cause she doesnt have enough practice ;frosty;

Will look at the echo and put her to work!

Thanks

Tree beard, she might find the Echo is better than the big one you use. Timmy and I are pretty evenly matched height wise so I didn't need to adjust the position of the handle or the length of the shoulder strap.

The Echo is light enough I think and I have never had any trouble starting it. The handle position looks easy enough to adjust to suit.

I always found working with a bent shaft whipper was awkward and I ended up with forearm and shoulder pain if I used it any longer than about 1hr per day.

Why don't you take your offsider with you when you look at possible whippers, that way you know you're getting exactly the right one for her height and capabilities.

ian
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
geejay i think you will find that the shin t230 is lighter and more powerful than the ryobi also i have always found the straight shaft gives better reach than the bent shaft especially when attempting to go under tree branches or steps as the head can go lower to the ground with out catching overhead if people want to try a bent shaft model i would probably suggest the shindaiwa homepro range about 1kg lighter than the ryobi and about the same power

mowjoman
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
The T230...is that the 27cc model?
I have a Kawasaki KBL27 and i tell ya I love it (D handle). Looking at getting another one and did look at the shindy's (I bought a shindy hedge trimmer instead :rolleyes: ).
In comparing the 27cc shindy to the 27cc Kawasaki the shindy had a thicker shaft but from memory was nearly 2 kgs heavier with the Kawasaki weighing in at 4.5 kgs.
Kawasaki is about $160 cheaper also.
No dout the shindy's are a fantastic machine but for me personally the Kawasaki for price, quality and power to weight ratio is a gem.
:wave-hi:

ian
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
the t230 is a 22.5 cc weighs about 4.4 kg so the kawasaki is more powerful for just a bit more weight and about the same length so i would definitely recommend looking at one and going by the sites everyone who has had one seems to speak very highly of them both value for money and power.

abncraig
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
have you checked your offsider is going to stick around long enough to warrant buying her a whipper just to suit her? the last thing you want to do is outlay the $$$ and than she cant be bothered mowing lawns anymore

tree beard
08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks again

my offsider is a stayer, she is a qualified hortoculturalist and enjoys the work. She is actually a perfectionist and very competative and basically not being able to use the big sthil like I do annoys her...a lot! Basically I am 6'3 and heavyish she is 5'7 I think and light. I dont use straps or harness just pick up and go. Some of her edging looks like a rat has chewed it. So I was hoping to get her a machine that was better suited to her, 1 to build her confidence, 2 improve the quality of work and team work and 3 it wouldnt hurt for me as a business to have a lighter smaller machine in any event, I have sunk so much money into gear so far... :i dunno:

Kim
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM

I am under the same impression, I love my Echo Whipper snipper and I am short, the only thing I did was adjust the handles for my height, it does take the weight off, I am looking at buying a new one in the next couple of weeks, only because this one is 8 years old. I am going to upgrade and use it for a back up, but when I look for a new one I will probably not be looking at the weight factor, for me the main factor will be that everyone can use it, and its reliable with grunt, that is comfortable enough for anyone to use, so I am going to look for a good all rounder.