PDA

View Full Version : My New Mower

mojo111
29-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Found a picture of the little beast. :laughing: I don't have a didgi camera so had to post this of the Ariens site www.ariens.com
Its a ripper, cuts my time in half or more. I use it on 80% of the lawns I do and Its cheap on gas too.
It'll do 5 acers of lawn in two hours , thats with going around garden beds and edging as well. Not a bad unit for $8000.00 .
Can't wait untill the grass starts to grow again :laughing:

Alex Callaghan
29-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Congrats Mojo!

5 acres in 2 hours including trimming and edging? WOW I'm getting 5acres + trimming and edging done in 2 1/2 hours on 60''er!? Five acres of just lawn and large lawn trees, fence lines, taps and other bits to trim around. It's a sizable job.The other day I picked up 8 acres. Reasonably flat niceish lawn, fair bit of trimming and it took me about 5+ hours.

Anyway. Good buy, Ive seen those units up at a dealer at Mullumbimby. I like the head lights! I've needed head lights on the Danes a few times now!

Sure beats pushing mate!

Congrats!!!

mojo111
29-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks Alex! I must have less edgeing to do on the 5 acres I'm thinking of. At this time of year ya can go at full speed allmost, been so dry an all. cheers

mick
29-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Looks good mate! Bloody ZTR owners, there taking over ! :dean:

I WWWAAAAANNNNNT OOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE! Dag nab it! :laughing:

mojo111
30-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Looks good mate! Bloody ZTR owners, there taking over ! :dean:

I WWWAAAAANNNNNT OOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE! Dag nab it! :laughing:

Mate there so much fun :laughing: I can't wait to get up the mornings to go out and play with it.( when the grass is growing???).
And I'm Stilll begging for rain :Rain: :laughing:

mick
30-08-2004, 02:46 PM
I will get one, just a mater of time and which one? They all have there good and bad points and none of them are exactly what I want! From steep slopes to really nice lawns to cow paddocks on the same day.

My little tractor can go where no ZTR can go but on the flat, the ztr would leave me for dead. Tractor does go pretty good though!

I do like the Hustler ATZ but I would like a pivoting front axel and it to be a little shorter. Hustler are also having trouble with them (all types or Z'd) burning the turf if left running in the same spot for even a short while. Not all of them have this problem though but some out of every line do it, which is no good!) Also, the fuel tanks have to be manually switched from 1 tank to the other when empty. This seems like a very stupid idea. I read where a guy was demoing an ATZ on a slope, ran out of fuel in 1 tank, the engine stopped working and he slid to the bottom without any power!
Anyway, if they fix there problems, its probably going to be the way I'll go! I say that now but, hmmm! Who knows! :i dunno:
---------------------------------------------------------------
From there site!

The Hustler ATZ, was born to climb. It lives to traverse. A modified Hustler Super Z, the ATZ refuses to slip down, much less back down from 25-degree slopes. It’s the perfect addition to a fleet where matchless performance on slopes must involve no compromise with flat-out Z-rider productivity. So say good-bye to wrestling walk-behinds on ground angling more than, say, 10 or 15 degrees. The Hustler ATZ is ready to ride.

All the benefits of the most productive Z-rider on the market. Now, with no fear of heights.

The ATZ represents a 60% improvement over typical Zs, the ATZ in slope performance. It will deliver all the quality of cut, all the finished appearance for which Hustler Zs are rightly known. Take the ATZ up top; it will leave behind none of the standards of design and manufacture that have made Hustler Super Zs the preferred choice of knowledgeable landscape professionals nationwide.

Patented automatic parking-brake system
Oil cooler and fan with spoiler
Warranties with teeth: lifetime on the leading edge of the deck, three years on the blade-spindle bearings, three years on the front caster fork bearings and, get this!, two years bumper-to-bumper parts and labor
Hydraulic hoses and fittings guaranteed to never leak
Foot-operated deck-lift system
60 or 72-inch deck
12.2 gallons of fuel capacity
Dual cup holders, the largest of any Z in the world
Certified 2--post ROPS with 4-post roll cage for sure, comfortable operator security.
White RC 26 wheel motors for more torque at lower pressures, a key ingredient of improved slope performance (Meanwhile, these lower pressures will extend the longevity of pumps and motors.)
Higher torque for more usable horsepower on the toughest slopes
A smooth top speed of 9 mph
Deluxe suspension seat with seat belt for added security, added operator comfort
Heavier frame construction and an extra-wide stance of 59” for improved traction and balance
Wheel weights and added frame weight for increased balance and traction
Extra length (at 87”) for enhanced performance in backing up hills
24 x 12--12 Carlisle AT101 ATV bar-tread tires for grab-ahold traction and sure, steady going (The tires, by the way, are mounted backwards for even more holding power while backing up hill.)
13 x 6.50 Carlisle Reliance semi--pneumatic front caster tires -- no flats, ever!
29” seat height, lowest in the industry, making gravity your friend
Meaningful engine choices, including a 27 hp Kohler (edit by me! Will also haze a 28hp efi)

mojo111
30-08-2004, 03:00 PM
There a bit exy??? but I guese It depends on how much work ya have for It?? Hilly work? I try to stay away from it. If I can?? :) . Don't mind slopes but bugger the hills eh!. when I do have to do somthing steap I use the rover rear motor rider it can climb anything struth!!

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 04:24 PM
My little tractor can go where no ZTR can go but on the flat, the ztr would leave me for dead. Tractor does go pretty good though!

Hey mate.

Sorry Mick, but I dought that. I'll take some pics of my Z on some stuff thats bloody crazy that I have to mow (makes that hill that the ATZ is mowing look pussy). Any tractor type mower would roll.

There again you might go further through a 10m mud hole than a Z with ya 4wd but whack a pair of ATV tires on a Z and they go like a 4by but with a wider foot print.

A 72'' deck on any Z almost makes it imposible to roll if your cutting across a hill!

You have to go out and demo some Zs mate!
Have a go on a few.
All the manufactures have a good sales pitch!

mick
30-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey mate.

Sorry Mick, but I dought that. I'll take some pics of my Z on some stuff thats bloody crazy that I have to mow (makes that hill that the ATZ is mowing look pussy). Any tractor type mower would roll.

Alex, its another one of those.... agree to disagree things but there is no way a Z'd would compete with a 4x4 diesel. Come on now! Across a hill, a Z'd would probably be ok for roll over because of C of G but its not always so simple. I've had to go down mud/dirt tracks when its wet and even with 4x4, still slides a little. No way would a 2 wheel drive go down some of these tracks when damp.
Sure the Ag tires are good but what about the front end and gravity. We've both read the stuff on the other forum and our properties are way worst than theres.
I was trying to explain that is something along the lines of what I might need! Thats all!

I'd like to see the pics mate! Make me a believer!

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 09:41 PM
My turn?

I only get about 1.5 acres an hour out of the average job with all of the fiddling around on a 60'' deck, that is achieving cut quality not paddock mowing though...average ****load of trees, turns etc.

I don't strive for speed, take it easy and enjoy it, go fast hit stuff, it breaks....ouch.

Mick....no Z is perfect, we all know that, they are not tractors, they aren't a lot of things, but what they are is super fast, great decks, highly maneurable, less mechanical parts.

though i said i only get 1.5 acres an hour in, that isn't the limit. If Alex, Russ, or I bought our Z's to your place and went side by side on any thing you wanted, you would be surprised how much faster and versatile these things are. The only advantage you have is 4 x 4 on slopes, but we have positive drive to each rear wheel, it is only tyre traction that lets em slide like yours.

That ATZ in that pic....they are slower than the super Z, but that hill ain't a challenge, if our ZTR's can't race accross that we wouldn't buy them, take note...cool looking roll bar, bet you pull it off first job ya get with trees, then you have just a standard Z with big hydros....

That hill in the pic, I used to mow this slaley hill in Craignish like that, scarey, accross and up and down cause it was so steep i couldn't get traction, on my Walker!

Slow yes, mowers will go almost anywhere is driven correctly, my Toro imo is not the best on hills, terrible actually, slides like anything,(downwards not accross) but it could do that hill no probs....not that i would enjoy the cold sweat but my point is ya don't need a purpose built machine for slopes, just keep traction on the ground and ya laughin.

I'd look at a Kubota diesel, ZD28 pro deck....pricy but good they say.

Exmark has a diesel here, as ya said Toro does too, not that I think diesel would really pay off just because it costs less at the pump though...

When you demo mate, don't let the dealer try to rush you or bull**** ya, many do....

I know your JD is a great mower in every sense, but when you get used to a ZTR, you will be surprised and will know why I'm typing such a long reply, ZTR's are in a league of their own....

The feul tanks....a lot now have the tanks seperated with a tap.

I personally wish they were joined, to keep the weight even, 20lts each side is heavy. But on the flip side, if one tank runs out you can keep going, if you don't monitor your usuage if tanks are joined and you drain both tanks....be a pain in the bum carting petrol to ya mower. Seperate tanks is good....just keep both full.
I drain one, switch over, then refill empty and top up fresh one...

good luck, I was in your situation this time last year, choosing the best of the best, ain't fun.

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Just had another look at that pic.

Second thoughts....my examples I think weren't quite as steep maybe...hard to say unless you are there.

Maybe it is too steep to mow across....but certainly still able to be done, I'll admit I'm not as brave as a lot of blokes lol.

Sorry for sounding misleading above....that hill is bloody steep no 2 ways about it.

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Dont you worry mick! I'll get somes pics for ya mate.

You'll see!! :)

Somthing else I might add is that the danes tanks are under the seats (same as scag) so your lowering the center of gravity more this way.

mick
30-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I dont think I'm explaining myself very well so I'll end it with some pics. I give up!

I know some of you have seen these already but others might like them.

mojo, sorry it went this way. Great mower and I hope it make you lotsa money!

Heres the pics..........................

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Also Mick I hope ya don't think I'm bagging ya JD mate?

Zs and tractors are apples and oranges. Like Tony said, There in a league of their own. The best mowers on the market that do most things really well imo.

mick
30-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I could mow that on my Z.

The pics I'll take ya are of a slope like that but the slope isn't as high. same kind of angles though.

mick
30-08-2004, 10:16 PM
an idea of the slope from afar and along.

pics never give a true idea of a slope!

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Ahhh, yes, I remember these pics, impressive.

1 angle the hill looks terrifying, next angle mowing up the diaginal it looks not so bad...

Either way, it is a bad hill, but how many jobs like that do you really want to do?

I would charge a lot of $$$ but honestly I would be confident after seeing the other pics I could knock it over.

Like Alex said, ya J.D is a legend, I'm definetly not bagging it either, afterall I don't have a nice shiny green bonnet to look over LOL

Would you cut that hill with your J.D?

Pics always make things look worse too....least it is nice to see a yank pic of Aussie mowing conditions, that is what I do a lot of, not lawns!

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 10:22 PM
pics never give a true idea of a slope!

So it's posible it aint that bigger slope at all and ya havin ya self on mate!!???

;frosty; Just kidding mate. ;)

Mick My dane can mow a slope like that mate (I dunno bout others good Z's cause I've never tryed em on that kind of slope but I'm sure they could all do it too) The ATZ just dose it safer with the roll cage.

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 10:23 PM
I could do that hard flat there no probs LOL
Probably even stripe if for ya! :)

The more of those pics I see the more confident a 60'' ZTR would do it. Be a fun job....love those challenges.

Mick, Thanks for showing us green grass mate, yeah, good onya! :Rain: Wander If I should move to USA.... :i dunno:

mick
30-08-2004, 11:06 PM
I would mow that hill if there was room at the top to turn around!
I'm not a salesman. Not trying to sell it to anyone, no even selling it to myself. Just though it was an interesting concept.
I know a tractor and Z'd are in different leagues. I havent said they were or I wouldnt even be looking into a Z'd.
Knowone on planet earth can tell me a 2 wheel drive is better than 4 wheel at climbing up and going straight down without tearing up grass!
Have you ever heard me bag a Z'd and mean it! No, because I dont know enough about them, but Im leaning!
I have read time after time about people sliding down hills on Z'ds. Some into ponds, others off walls. Even seen pics!
The ROPS on the ATZ "Would" be the first thing to go. Like a set of bloody monkey bars! A ROPS like on the Toro would of been sufficient!
I have all ways found pics make angles look less!
No, I dont think anyone here is bagging me, I should of explained better! :p
I dont care about the speed of the mower, I almost get thrown out of the seat now, let alone doing it a 15km/h or what ever.

Ill give you a loose example of what I'm talking about. This yard is heaps steeper than in the pic. I mow straight up and down and I have no doubts that a Z'd could do it side ways. Problem is, if it slips your gone, down a 1km hill. No doubt youd hit a tree or something to stop ya though. The other point is, in the red circle is the access point. This is very steep and I put the mower in 4x4, even when its dry. You can only drive straight down it.

I know, I read it all the time... My mower could do that! :laughing:

mojo111
30-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Lookin at those slopes? :( ------ the more I think of it the more I don't like doin them. I find it hard on the back , tryin to hold on with ya bum checks while ya tryin to stear on the slide is hard. Charge em like a bloody bull AH!LOL thats the way :laughing:
like we all agree. Each to his own. And the day they make a ZTR
that we all like and it does everything that we want---- is the day they put the compertion out of the biz of making mowers.---------- that'ill
never happen :laughing: :laughing: cheers.

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 11:16 PM
My mower is absolutly UNSTOPABLE!!!

Like a bulldozer on roids!!!

No slipping down the hills on my beast..........side ways, up and down, UP side down, wet, mud...............You name it and the chariots there..........Cutting up a storm!!

Hhahaaa

On a seriouse note. Just wait till ya see the pics I take for ya Mick. I'll convert you yet bud.

mick
30-08-2004, 11:19 PM
tried to edit some stuff and forgot the pic but ran out of time. Oh well. :i dunno:

Its all good guys, just gas bagging!

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 11:25 PM
How about I come up to yours with a Z on the weekend and show ya how it goes on the slopes.
Find some nice slopes to cut and we can skip the whole pic taking affair!

Hey, hey.............How does that sound?

mojo111
30-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Thats a good slope Mick! looks great, was that with the JD ??

mick
30-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Trying to think of somewhere easy to get to, hmmmm! My hills here at home are nothing but Im sure I could find one across the road. Yep, got one!

What you doing Sunday?

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Mick, go check out a new thread on L.S about Hustler burning....makes ya wander.

What do you mean we aren't bagging ya??

Bloody oath we are!! :laughing:

I know where ya coming from....need to get ya bum on a Z to see what we are baggin ya about mate, they are pretty able.

That above pic, walk in the park, honestly, Z's are wide and low, like me lol

As far as rough terrain etc, unless you were going through mud, the Z would be faster, but if a Z gets stuck in mud most likely the 4by would too...but these aren't all terrain machines, but surprising how good they are due to the constant positive traction.

mick
30-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Thats a good slope Mick! looks great, was that with the JD ??

Cheers mate. Yeah with the JD. Takes just less than hr for $100. Just mow!

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 11:43 PM
What you doing Sunday?

Coming up to yours to show you how the Z handels a slope mate!!

Mabey knock back a few stubbies with in the process :russ:

PM me ya details.... PH# or address or somthing so we can organise it!!

mojo111
30-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Nice view mate! were abouts is that??

Tonyr
30-08-2004, 11:45 PM
What sort of grass is that Mick?

Nice and green even though it was last years...

Is that part of a farm or a small lifestyle screage block?

Bloody nice spot there, top view!

Alex Callaghan
30-08-2004, 11:57 PM
What sort of grass is that Mick?

Looks like carpet grass or bufalow mixed with green panick :i dunno:

I can see a tuft of what looks like green panick in the corner of the pick ?

mick
30-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Mick, go check out a new thread on L.S about Hustler burning....makes ya wander.

What do you mean we aren't bagging ya??

Bloody oath we are!! :laughing:

I know where ya coming from....need to get ya bum on a Z to see what we are baggin ya about mate, they are pretty able.

That above pic, walk in the park, honestly, Z's are wide and low, like me lol

As far as rough terrain etc, unless you were going through mud, the Z would be faster, but if a Z gets stuck in mud most likely the 4by would too...but these aren't all terrain machines, but surprising how good they are due to the constant positive traction.

Bag away, if I cant take it, I shouldnt give it! I know I have to give a Z'd a go, for sure. Pointless exercise at the moment though. Yes, I'm sure they are capable! They should be for the bloody high prices!
Ive had the JD so bogged I had to get the car to pull me out. Mud was over the deck! First day, very embaressing but I wanted to test it. I found out the hard way! I wish I could show you some of the developments that will happen sooner or later. There arguing that its too steep to build on in some places!
That pic Tony, its not the mowing, its the getting down to where you have to mow! Might get down there 99 times out of 100 but if you go, like I said, you really go!
98% of the time I have no need or want to use 4wd. Makes the turning circle even bigger but its good to know its there!
I agree with everyone with just about everything.

I do want one after all!

Hows this lack of rain stuff....... hehe Change subject!

mick
31-08-2004, 12:04 AM
You name it, its in there somewhere! I couldnt tell you what the majority of the grass is. Kykuyu, couch, all sorts!

Its just an acre or so on the top of a ridge. Has a very nice house on it. Usless land really but a fantastic view! You can see the ocean from up there. Not the best pic. I took it with a Phone Cam!
Its in Tallia, behind Mudgeerabah.

mojo111
31-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Yeah nice place round there, I think a few boys town prize homes in that area. yeh top spot. cheers.

mick
31-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah nice place round there, I think a few boys town prize homes in that area. yeh top spot. cheers.

Prize home central the Gold Coast! hehe

mojo111
31-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Prize home central the Gold Coast! hehe

The ones close to the coast don't have any grass.---- All bloody landscaped :laughing: except the ones on the lifestyle blocks---dam cooch :laughing:

mick
31-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Went for a look through a development today, trying to find a display home and yep, your right! Bugger all grass. They have some but not much! I'd still charge $30 for it but it would be a quick job! All that really fine, short couch(dont know what its called)! I hate that stuff! I hate all couch for mowing but like the old blue for walking on!

Alex Callaghan
31-08-2004, 12:32 AM
dam cooch :laughing:

Ya got that right!

Why people use couch is beyond me :i dunno:

Out of all the accounts I have the blue couch ones are the worst to cut and maintain.

A couch lawn couldn't supress weeds if its life depended on it.

Couch looks great for the first three months arfter it layed and then the weeds start coming up and the whole thing just goes to $hit. Thats what all the couch lawn do down here anyway :i dunno:

Somtimes I reckon ya got be out there evrey day workin on it to keep it in mint condtion!

Bloody couch!

mojo111
31-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah ya gota love them ones mate! in, out 15 min tops $30 bucks thank you verey much ;frosty; :laughing:

mojo111
31-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Ya got that right!

Why people use couch is beyond me :i dunno:

Out of all the accounts I have the blue couch ones are the worst to cut and maintain.

A couch lawn couldn't supress weeds if its life depended on it.

Couch looks great for the first three months arfter it layed and then the weeds start coming up and the whole thing just goes to $hit. Thats what all the couch lawn do down here anyway :i dunno:

Somtimes I reckon ya got be out there evrey day workin on it to keep it in mint condtion!

Bloody couch!

Give me sir walter anyday :laughing: :laughing:

Alex Callaghan
31-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Give me sir walter anyday :laughing: :laughing:

Too bloody right Mojo!!!!!!!!

Sir Walters the shoot!

A pleasure to cut.

Mulches really well too.

mick
31-08-2004, 12:54 AM
You lot are luck buggers. Ive never mowed Sir Walter. Seen it once in a small patch but thats it!

I like Kykuyu and Carpet grass though!

the pic.... A fine example of old, never ferted, never watered, compacted and weedy couch!

Ahhhhhh gotta love the stuff! NOT!

Tonyr
31-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I here ya!

We have that stupid crap ultra thin, ultra low couch here to...just gives a fine layer of green over the sand, and it must be cheap cause that's all the tightass locals here buy.

Blue couch is ok, but it is rare...

What is nasty is one called something like greenlees park couch...crap.

most of what i cut is just green panick, weeds, weeds, and more weeds, plus native junk.

no nice grass here even in the summer, and a Z can really tear that fine stuff if ya ain't careful....

Hey Alex, are ya gunna take some pics on Sunday mate?
love to see some action pics of ya yellow rocket!

Wish I wasn't so bloody far away! bugger!

Back to mowers for a tick, why don't they build suspension on them all, plus make the front wheels able to power, so in fact to get a 4 x 4 ZTR, now you would have an awesome machine, I do think the rigid frame design is getting old though, I think manufacturers could give us more for our money, no way a lawn mower should cost 20K PLUS!

mick
31-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Back to mowers for a tick, why don't they build suspension on them all, plus make the front wheels able to power, so in fact to get a 4 x 4 ZTR, now you would have an awesome machine, I do think the rigid frame design is getting old though, I think manufacturers could give us more for our money, no way a lawn mower should cost 20K PLUS!

I know what you mean mate, after looking at the Hustler Super Z, looks like someone with a bit of welding technical ability could knock one up in an arvo. They just dosnt look enough too them to warrent $20k.

I forgot to mention that I've been reading up on the Burning problems with the Hustlers! That is shocking really and the fix for it is a classic... A piece of bent plate bolted on! To me, thats rubbish! From what I can make out, its every type of Z but not all of them do it. Whats the go with that? Someone said it could be the type of grass, which make sence. Just hope you dont have the type that burns! :dean:

dvmcmrhp52
31-08-2004, 11:18 AM

I just put a suspension seat on my HP.........WOW! what a difference.
My knees were getting hammered so I needed to do something or stop riding. Good investment.
I'd certainly like to see more mowers with suspensions like ferris has on their mowers and I believe they could even improve on it.....................

Tonyr
31-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah...I remember being concerned about that too, posted posts etc, my concern was being dryer here then USA, if the mower lit up here say mowing dry grass and it took off and took property etc with it, I would be liable, in turn my solicitor or insurance would be chasing Hustler as it is a safety issue from new.

Not ecceptable, we are fussier buyers here, I certainly don't want to have the risk and know it can burn, burn a lawn here you are out, over there contractors are able to get away with more it seems.

The mower in my eye couldn't sell it's self too me, nothing to it.

I liked the Ferris....but no mulch kit available and very small dealer network, like 1 guy in QLD.

Never tried a Dane or Scag.

But I love my Toro....

Least you can see where the money went, kinda...lol.
More mower for the money put it that way. :)

I wish I couold of tried a JD Z trac, 787 or something....
still don't think they are coming out with 28 efi's yet though...
Afer having the 28 efi mate, I'd hate to go smaller, they are one powerhouse. Kohler...air cooled..

Tonyr
31-08-2004, 11:23 AM
They say the Ferris rides like a limo cause of the suspension, crap.

I get a smoother ride from my Toro with suspension seat.

The Ferris IS3000 I demoed did not have a suspension seat, crazy, they should be stock standard!

If the Ferris had a suspension seat as well, now that would be a nice mower!

dvmcmrhp52
31-08-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't think A mower should be made without a suspension seat,
It's about $10 worth of materials to add them. But then they couldn't sell them as an after market item to dummies like me for $200.

Tonyr
31-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Yep Dave Archerbald, Gurtrude Jones, I think ya got it figured mate, add on sales...

All about producing a base model then upselling the extras....

EXCEPT Toro....of course, they would never do that to wee, the loyal client :rolleyes:

What is these new Z400's?
Any out and about in your world yet?

mick
31-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I saw an after market suspension seat in a farm supply joint the other day..................... $1000

Alex Callaghan
31-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Zs are pretty over priced I reackon.

Had a big chat with a local bobcat bloke that was working at one of my clients place the other day and as he said a bobcats worth about 40k and a Zs worth 20k and there really aint that much to a Z. He reackons his neighbor has a Toro and he borrows it to mow his lawn on it alot and can't speak highly enough of it but as he say there just aint alot to a ZTR for the money you pay.

Tony, a 4wd Z would be good mate but making a Z 4by would be a feet and a half. Runing some kind of drive down through the front castor frames to drive the little castors would be dam near imposible. Somthing I've thought of would be a 4wd 4 wheel steering type thing but a mid mount. It wouldn't be complet Zero turn radius but it would be close to it with 4 wheel steering. You'd have all the tires about the same size and a mid mount deck. And yeh......suspension all round. My mate is fully into Mountain Bikes (sponsered and that) he had these bike he uses for the down hill events with high quality suspension that has adjustable dampning and like 10'' of travel. the whole shock is adjustable for dampning and rebound and you can load these polymer things into it for fat guys riding the bike. The shocks cost about $1000+. The 4wd 4ws mower should run somthing similar to these on all four and also each wheel should be on an independent swingarm!! So each wheel would be conturing to the terain independent to the others but with bloody good shocks eating the force from the bumps! Then you'd have selectable 4wd and also I reckon you'd want selectable low range so you have the engine doing all the breaking on steep decents to lower the risk of locking the wheels up and it would be great on hill climbs too. You'd have ya 4w steer giveing you a bloody good turning circle. I'd be a purla I reckon!! What a beast! Yeh and a suspension seat to! The type they use in earth moving equipment!

Tony, I'll take the digi up to micks on the weekend so I can get some action pics!
probably down 10 cooldies before we go out on the Z so I'm sure they'll be a fair bit of action mate! :russ: :laughing:

dvmcmrhp52
31-08-2004, 12:57 PM
What is these new Z400's?
Any out and about in your world yet?

Z400's?
What's a Z400???????

Oh ya.............one of them Toro thangs.........

Really don't know if there around tony, could be,I just don't follow it much right now. My educating days are during the winter months which are still a few months off. (as if an old dog can be taught new tricks,Eh?) Next couple of months we will be looking around a bit more at what's out there just to make sure we're getting the most bang for our buck on the next mower for next season (A Toro maybe??????)so there's a good chance I'll run across one............we'll see.....