PDA

View Full Version : How do u see the economy going

administrator
13-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Economies have a cycle .
So do we pull our belts tight and wait for the good times or do we forge ahead regardless .

tree beard
13-03-2009, 10:19 AM
If you sit around waiting you will miss the boat!

Forge on regardless. If you can grow when its the hard times you should do even better in the good and you will be positioned to take advantage of it!

administrator
13-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Agree with you whole heartedly even if your starting a business now the good thing is all you can do is grow .

As for home budget just dont buy crap like lollies and stuff lol .

Shop around and be a little wiser with the dollars i know i am allready saving from not being so lazy .

tree beard
13-03-2009, 12:16 PM
MMmm with the home.

We are going a little old school. Minimal Junks food (yes some ok so its dark chocolate and Doritos) but back to the baking a cake and bickies once a week. No prefab food all. Shuffle between ALDI and Coles for the best prices. What fruit and vege we buy is delivered direct from the markets. The vege garden has been reinstated. Taking fruit and sandwiches out in the ute and more meals with mince and sausage to stretch further and save the dollars.

And now I hear that in NSW power is about to go up by up to 20%. So solar hot water is starting to look a lot like a reality for us and the second fridge is being switched off. House is already full of the low energy globes and the like. just have to keep chasing around at night switching the lights off.

Bluey
13-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Economies have a cycle .
So do we pull our belts tight and wait for the good times or do we forge ahead regardless .

Carpe Diem Admin Carpe Diem

If we all sit around lamenting the woes of the world we will end up at the foot of the tree. Seize the day and and go for it is my motto. Seek the light at the top of the tree.

Tree Beard

Good advice and for us personally we never really left the old school. Too many people don't know how to live frugally any more and I am amazed at how many people are hooked into the consumer cycle. I always have a veggie garden and I reckon we are lucky to go out to dinner once every 6 months. We have a big family and we get together a lot. We make our own entertainment and keep ourselves busy.

MikeS
13-03-2009, 09:44 PM
For our business its forge ahead more equipment and a new specially built garden trailer currently on order – I haven’t even had one customer mention money’s tight or they would like to cut back in services.

administrator
13-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Anz Are Sending 500 Jobs Overseas

If Your With The Anz Bank Give Them The Flick

and ban bonds lol

tree beard
13-03-2009, 11:30 PM
While it is good to send a message to medium and large business about their lack of home bred integrity and its consequences I think you would find that many would be happy to manufacture on shore. Tarriffs made this possible, once!

Lets also not forget that those that are heading off to cheaper labour markets are still, as you would expect, doing the right thing by their employees, paying them and their entitlements/redundancies in full. Doesnt make it any better for those laid off, but better than the companies sticking it out , folding and leaving everyone in the lurch.

Shurly some of the problem lies with the duley elected policy makers who have forsaken protectionisim of our own for the purpose participating in the chinese (possibly not 100% correct but feels that way) funded world economy.
Praise god for the flat screen plasma tv. :dean:

We cant have it all! ;frosty;

But while politicians are busy feathering their millionare superfunded nests how will they ever really get the meassage, they lack perspective. We all can sympathise from our own experiances or empathise from the arm chair but what will really get the message across to thoses that can change it ?? :i dunno:

The only icon left will be the australian spirit! :ebony:

administrator
14-03-2009, 08:08 AM
The Australian spririt is being diluted to somehow we have to build in a protection for that 2

The spirit used to be there all the time you could allways see it ,now its like it goes and comes back when a disaster happens

WHAT DO U GUYS RECKON :aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag:

ian
14-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Anz Are Sending 500 Jobs Overseas

If Your With The Anz Bank Give Them The Flick

and ban bonds lol
yes lets put our money into st george .sorry just saw that they shifted over 70 jobs to india in 07
we could try the nab but then again they shifted 500 jobs to india in 08
and i believe both westpac and the commonwealth have quite large indian divisions
so are we going to give anz the flick for being one of the last to send the jobs overseas?

MikeS
14-03-2009, 03:49 PM
That's why I use the local Building Society and not a bank! :aus-flag:

administrator
14-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Community banks are the way to go .

administrator
14-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Better places to grocery shop woolworths now its going to be interesting as we need to save dollars people will shop at Aldi and the new cosco American shops which are opening soon in OZ

Hard to know where to shop lol

Drama Drama Drama

geejay
15-03-2009, 06:56 PM
you need all the banks to operate ,as they provide credit ,which makes the world go around.it would not work if we put all the money into community banks ,as the big commercial banks facilate loans and credit internationaly,i think we only have 25% of the cash required locally for credit requirements,the balance needs to be sourced overseas via trusts.

administrator
15-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Thats the problem to much credit .

How many credit cards do you need how many 40,ooo dollar cars do u need and many houses do you wanna buy .

People risk money that wasnt theres it was credit .

How many holidays that cost thousands just on air fares people need to live within there means not how much credit can they juggle .

geejay
15-03-2009, 08:58 PM
yep and guess what to get into debt,crediable debt,is more diffcult because of easy credit card debt,the banks take the gamble on small credit card loans at high earnings,knowing most will sweat to pay off the credit card debt,share holders of banks love the ceo of banks for dividends earned on the back of easy gains,like cc and atms.

administrator
17-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Immigration at long last is being decreased governments should of done this long ago .
Lets hope they decrease even further .Hoorar

BLACK BEAR
17-03-2009, 07:12 PM
:dean: yes I agree admin, about 50 years ago ;frosty;

geoff
17-03-2009, 08:20 PM
admin the immigration figures u should study a bit harder , the drop is 190000 to 170000 per year so they have only reduced by 20k not very much considering the rate of unemployment far outways that figure..I think we need to stop except for skills we dont have , and for a large unemployment u would reckon there woulnt be too many...apparently doctors engineers and wait for it computor geeks are in shortage...the computor side should be flooded as every kid in australia knows how to tweak the IT side of things
so maybe we should have nearly zero untill we see a very low unemployment figure...95 percent of aussie are great workers so maybe only get 5 percent that can fill their positions....many employers use overseas employment because they work CHEAP

geejay
21-03-2009, 09:19 PM
guess what aaaustrlia is built on immigration,stop it, and its liking shooting yourself in the foot :p ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

Islandhead
21-03-2009, 11:26 PM
we have enough?

Last statistics I read...

25% of all vic healthcare workers are from overseas

And 50% in queensland!!

There would be a lot of ill australians if it weren't for these people

Da mn clock... shoule be below sandgropers post ;)

Sandgroper
22-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Thats "was" built on immigration, we have enough now. :aus-flag:

geejay
22-03-2009, 02:52 AM
have you noticed the au dollar,its droped,thats got a lot to do with out flow of capital offshore,a percentage of that could be immigrants returning home,overeseas investors cashing up,less people bringing skills and cash to buy houses in australia,=,guess what less jobs.

up is how the real world works,if general australia thinks they can thrive with no or less immigrants,guess what,you're dreaming ,its a highly liquid fluid real world;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; :p

BLACK BEAR
22-03-2009, 05:16 PM
have you noticed the au dollar,its droped,thats got a lot to do with out flow of capital offshore,a percentage of that could be immigrants returning home,overeseas investors cashing up,less people bringing skills and cash to buy houses in australia,=,guess what less jobs.

up is how the real world works,if general australia thinks they can thrive with no or less immigrants,guess what,you're dreaming ,its a highly liquid fluid real world;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; :p

:aus-flag: When in Rome do as the Romans do :dean: :aus-flag: It could also be immigrants being sent home ;) :aus-flag:

ian
22-03-2009, 06:02 PM

guess what less people coming to australia also =less people trying for the jobs there are :)

Islandhead
22-03-2009, 07:41 PM
guess what less people coming to australia also =less people trying for the jobs there are :)

Unfortunately this is a very common simplistic view shared by many. This is a global financial downturn, it's so far from just being about 'jobs' it's almost surreal.

I hope we get through this soon, for all our sakes.

geejay
22-03-2009, 07:47 PM
you may/are getting what you wish for as immigrants are on the move already from australia. bank deposists that were here have moved offshore , thats why,the aussie dollar has declined,the share market indix is near 3000,it took years to get it to double,why do your aussie trained doctors go offsure,yep there may be more jobs then one can handle,thats if there is money left to get paid. :p ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

administrator
22-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Geejay youre walking the wrong way .

ian
22-03-2009, 11:24 PM
so islandhead would it be right to say that you believe bringing in 100 migrants will create more than 100 jobs :) if so this means we can get rid of unemployment by just bringing in more people

Islandhead
22-03-2009, 11:37 PM
lol predictable ian, nice quip :laughing:

Yes, simplistically you're on the money of course. But the real world of the global economy isnt that simple ian. The reason why aus needs immigration is that they suffer skills shortages (and obviously I am not talking about hairdressers here ;) ), we live in a cutting edge western society with a small relative population. For example:

If australia falls behind in healthcare the populous suffers, and therefore the economy.

If australia falls behind in IT the rest of the world overtakes them and the economy suffers.

If australia falls behind in scientific advancements the economy suffers.

I was saying it's not as simple as 'close the doors and she'll be right' which rightly or wrongly I inferred from your post.

administrator
23-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Oh i c bring in the skilled workers to fill the positions and export the non skilled positions overseas.

Interesting

Somehow i think thats got knobs on it . :aus-flag:

Islandhead
23-03-2009, 11:55 AM
What?

I never said anything about people leaving at all admin...

Don't put words in my mouth or ideas about me into others headds please!

Thankyou

Islandhead
23-03-2009, 03:04 PM
We certaionly dont need any more lawn mowing contractors and or gardeners from oversees , nor we need anymore that the 600 000 people here need jobs first...sure we need imigration but only the jobs we cant do...tell the recently workers in the manufactory industries that we plan to bring another 170000 people from oversees...lets get it soughted here first then bring over the rest when our own have jobs first

Well said Geoff :wave-hi: , a good explanation of what should be done to the immigration system, we need some but not at the expense of those who are already here with the skills we need.

To say curb immigration without any proper explanation leads to misplaced nationalism and many other negative kneejerk reactions.

Lol clock still not sorted, read this after geoffs last post ;)

geejay
23-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Immigration at long last is being decreased governments should of done this long ago .
Lets hope they decrease even further .Hoorar

horaar???

this kind of sentiment will not help australia,it needs as many skilled/hard working immigrants as posiable,and to keep the ones it has,otherwise vamoos they will not come and they will go,australia needs to remain up there with the real world.

geoff
23-03-2009, 03:52 PM
We certaionly dont need any more lawn mowing contractors and or gardeners from oversees , nor we need anymore that the 600 000 people here need jobs first...sure we need imigration but only the jobs we cant do...tell the recently workers in the manufactory industries that we plan to bring another 170000 people from oversees...lets get it soughted here first then bring over the rest when our own have jobs first

geejay
23-03-2009, 04:16 PM
ok

a hypothetical example:

the australian governments finds and invites 100 AAA skilled people that have the ability to find a cure for cancer.

say these 100 AAA(large salaries,time poor,people),buy a new home,have garden landscaped,install grey water system,retic system,solor cell system,each employ a gardener,a maid,a pool person, that could be work for many,many people from time to time,plus all the contractors before.plus captial they bring in,childrean at private schools,etc,its a massive impact on the economy.

then if they do find the cure,

massive impact world wide for australia.

this senario could apply to IT,Doctors,Dentists,Reasearch Scientists etc.

ok

lets create jobs instead for 100 people who have lost there job working at pb making clothes.

how many gardeners,maids,pool cleaners are they going to employ from time to time?

geejay
23-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Geejay youre walking the wrong way .

ok prior to the strength recently of the aussie dollor what do u think has cauced the dollar to devalue?

is it:

the government buying dollars and holding onto them,to depreciate the aussie dollar,maybe for exporters to gain an edge.

or what,

iam all ears

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ian
23-03-2009, 09:22 PM
the goverment reducing immigration numbers is all smoke and mirrors
The Australia immigration target for this year is 190,300 immigrants. This is 20 per cent higher than the 2007-08 financial year. It is even higher than the previous record intake of 185,099 immigrants in 1969-70/2007-08 158,630 /2006-07 148,200 so rudds figures of reducing the planned immigration by about 15,000 places still leaves us with about 17,000 more immigrants than last year thank god the goverments busy building more dams ,roads.hospitals schools and increasing public transport infrastructure to stimulate the economy instead of just handing out money :)

administrator
23-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Islandhead my last post was not a response to your post .

It was MY statement .

Islandhead
23-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Islandhead my last post was not a response to your post .

It was MY statement .

Fair enough Admin, obviously just a COINCIDENCE then

BLACK BEAR
23-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Vote 1 GEEJAY for next Prime Minister :abcfra: He seems to have all the answers for Australia. ;frosty;

geejay
24-03-2009, 07:16 AM
pm,geejay,geejay for pm,hmmm,do you have to be skilled or unskilled to be a aussie pm? whats the critera? where do you send your cv.african applies for pm job in aussie,he can mow a fine lawn,has answers,can grow carrots,cast a fly :p ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

NCGMAF
24-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I guess you'd at least be useful as pm considering the amount of lawn over parliament house. There's a regular I'd like (if it was anywhere but in Canberra).

Islandhead
24-03-2009, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=Bluey]Every person who immigrates to Australia competes with our own for jobs but I am afraid it it is an unfair competition. The government supports immigrants in finding jobs, housing and education, buying cars and starting businesses.QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with you there Bluey.

Me and my wife came over 3 and a half years ago as my wife got a job at the local hospital as she's a doctor.

As far as I know the government hasn't done or offered anything like you say to help us.

We have just bought our own house (we weren't entitled to the first homebuyers grant as we are 'immigrants'), have bought 2 cars, started my mowing business and have two great aussie dogs :p ALL bought with our own money that we have earned.

The only thing the government has done is take a lot of tax from my wife!

We are proud to be adopted aussies and are proud to pay our own way.

Bluey
24-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Too right Geoff. Well said. And while we are at it just what job is it that Aussies cannot fill. I have not seen too many Aussies worth their salt that cannot learn a new role whatever it is. What we need to do is give them the opportunity to do it.

Every person who immigrates to Australia competes with our own for jobs but I am afraid it it is an unfair competition. The government supports immigrants in finding jobs, housing and education, buying cars and starting businesses.

I won't get started on this topic as I will let vent my disgust for the way us Aussies are treated over immigrants and this is not the place to do it.

I am all for a fair go but only if it is fair and currently it is dfar from that.

Bluey
25-03-2009, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=Bluey]Every person who immigrates to Australia competes with our own for jobs but I am afraid it it is an unfair competition. The government supports immigrants in finding jobs, housing and education, buying cars and starting businesses.QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with you there Bluey.

Me and my wife came over 3 and a half years ago as my wife got a job at the local hospital as she's a doctor.

As far as I know the government hasn't done or offered anything like you say to help us.

We have just bought our own house (we weren't entitled to the first homebuyers grant as we are 'immigrants'), have bought 2 cars, started my mowing business and have two great aussie dogs :p ALL bought with our own money that we have earned.

The only thing the government has done is take a lot of tax from my wife!

We are proud to be adopted aussies and are proud to pay our own way.

Mate not having a shot at you and well done for doing what you have done but on the other hand I have seen first hand what the government does for some immigrants. We have a lot of Sudanese turning up here lately. Nice people but they are getting handouts left right and center.

I drove past the local primary school a couple of days ago and it really hit home. The Sudanese kids were getting picked up in a fleet of taxis payed for by the government, the Vietnamese kids were getting picked up in private buses paid for by the government. All of them were getting delivered to their door.

Guess what the Aussie kids were doing. Walking. Just does not seem right to me.

This is just the visible tip of the iceberg. Who knows what else is available if you are the "right" person. Personally I am sick of Aussies being treated as second class citizens in their own country.

We built this country on the premise of a fair go for all and everyday I see this premise being shafted because someone fits the chardonnay sipping tree hugger's bill as a minority group and gets access to special attention and government money.

It is true that this is not the same for all immigrants and your wife being a doctor would have stood you in good stead getting out here. My problem is how many Aussie kids got turned down from studying medicine this year because we can bring in fully qualified Doctors and set them to work straightaway.

Geoff is right. Lets sort out our own problem with unemployment before we start bringing in droves of people. Australia was built on immigration and we still hold the idea as a good one but we need to look to our own especially in these times.

You may not have been eligible for a lot of the things due to your wife's occupation but a hell of a lot of others are reaping the rewards at our expense. I look at these Sudanese kids. Latest designer clothes, ipods, cars, government housing and think of the struggle we had providing even half of that for our own kids.

Just not right IMO

Bgs
25-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I would of thought a lot of the Sudanese would have been refugees as apposed to immigrants could be wrong though.

Immigration is always going to be controversial in tough times but with Australians leaving it later and later to have children and with a aging population we are going to have rely on these guys to keep our country moving in the future :aus-flag:

but I can understand peoples frustrations when you compare unemployment figures with newly arrived immigrants i suppose the hard part is getting the balance right.

administrator
25-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Charity begins at home .

Education and apprenticeships need to be upgraded dramatically and thats for all ages .

Apprentice education needs to be streamlined alot of time wasted on many levels .

Children need to be taught life skills and business skills more so than history and science .

MATHEMATICS .
Very important for our children should be more time spent on this subject at school and making sure that by the time they leave High school the pass rate should be 80 per cent .

High school kids pass rate for maths is so low its criminal even if they wanted to do an apprenticeship they couldnt .

Must start building this country from Primary school kids upwards smarter generations are the future .

To get smarter kids you need smarter ways of teaching .

Islandhead
25-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll leave it at that Bluey, what you think about aussie kids being turned down for medicine is wrong, and based only on opinion. My wife has saved hundreds of aussie lives since she's been over here... bloody thankless task too... she's been assaulted by drunk, drugged up, abusive aussies who live off the government... but I won't judge just by what I see because there is always 2 sides to every story and always people who know what they believe is right. Immigrants eh... what do they do?

geejay
25-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I would of thought a lot of the Sudanese would have been refugees as apposed to immigrants could be wrong though.

Immigration is always going to be controversial in tough times but with Australians leaving it later and later to have children and with a aging population we are going to have rely on these guys to keep our country moving in the future :aus-flag:

but I can understand peoples frustrations when you compare unemployment figures with newly arrived immigrants i suppose the hard part is getting the balance right.

the Sudanese come to Australia as refugees.it is a world wide program that Australia subscribes to,in helping and protecting displaced cultures.the Sudanese are in New Zealand,similar program, and settling issues are has been experianced there.

administrator
25-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I am not to sure about this correct me if i am wrong years ago overseas certificates for doctors electricians etc were not reconised here but due to the shortage this has been changed or do they still have to pass additional tests b4 being allowed to practice their skills here .

Islandhead
25-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I am not to sure about this correct me if i am wrong years ago overseas certificates for doctors electricians etc were not reconised here but due to the shortage this has been changed or do they still have to pass additional tests b4 being allowed to practice their skills here .

I don't know about electricians but as for doctors it all depends what country you come from and if you intend to live here permanently.

We are from the UK, and the medical schools (and talking factually pretty good ones)there talk to the ones here and to stay permanently you need to verify you have done your exams and experience to get permanent medical registration over here.

Other countries, i'm not sure of the whole list but if you are from RSA or India (two I definitley know) you need to pass australian medical exams.

I don't think it is because of a shortage of doctors, more to do with reciprocal agreements (read politics) between medical boards from different countries.

Islandhead
25-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't think it is because of a shortage of doctors, more to do with reciprocal agreements (read politics) between medical boards from different countries.

Just to clarify, that last statement was not an 'IMO'

It takes about 6months to apply and take the aussie exams for overseas doctors.

For the doctors who can get their qualifications and experience verified without an exam takes about 9-12months of paperwork and tooing and froing between the medical boards.

geejay
25-03-2009, 03:22 PM
When a shortage of a particular speciality in medicine is identified, usually the universities are instructed to open more places so as to address this shortfall in the future. However....it can take 10 years before someone who enters medical studies today is ready to "hit the streets" and practice in their chosen speciality.

That does not help the immediate shortage. You can't say...sorry, can you just hold that cancer back for about 10 years until we have an available Australian trained oncologist to deal with it. We need the trained and experienced professionals NOW, and they have to come from somewhere.

I also think there may be a lot of jobs out there that many Australians think they are too good for, don't like the conditions, the pay etc. My brother couldn't get a labourer worth a pinch of proverbial. He tried advertising himself, He tried friend's of his kids (hell he even tried his own kids but they weren't interested). He'd get candidates sent Centrelink and if he was lucky they'd last a day before it all got too hard for them, poor darlings. He now has two blokes who happily turn up to work every single day and do a great job...neither of them are Australian. It's a sad reflection on where this country is headed IMHO.

in my experiance its a similar situation in New Zealand with regards to all of the above.

However,

In Africa there is no backstop(dolls,centre link etc) so less of this problem,people finish school,tech(tafe),uni, and hit the street running.otherwise they starve/go bush/do crime.plenty of workers, and good hard workers.the biggest problem we have is getting a good worker,training them up to speed and losing them to aids(we have lost 6 highly skilled workers over the last 5 yrs, that cost us $100 of ks to train,its huge problem).in africa(the areas we work) generally the men are anti some kinds of labour work(i.e weeding,hoffling,plant medium mixes,some kinds of smaller lifting),in their culture they woman folk do what they consider menial labour(weeding etc),
understanding this is key to getting a smooth operation.men of this culture will supervise the women doing menial labour tasks.they will help with lifting heavier equipment ,and will drive a bob cat on site.

i think most of this African culture would be happy being a lawn contractor in Aussie,just no weeding lol.The only problem is given a easier option this culture normally grabs it,so maybe the doll,centre link, would be to much of a temptation.

I wonder how the Sundanese culture works in relation to men doing,gardening and labour kind of work,would they do it.

Mrs HMS
25-03-2009, 03:23 PM
When a shortage of a particular speciality in medicine is identified, usually the universities are instructed to open more places so as to address this shortfall in the future. However....it can take 10 years before someone who enters medical studies today is ready to "hit the streets" and practice in their chosen speciality.

That does not help the immediate shortage. You can't say...sorry, can you just hold that cancer back for about 10 years until we have an available Australian trained oncologist to deal with it. We need the trained and experienced professionals NOW, and they have to come from somewhere.

I also think there may be a lot of jobs out there that many Australians think they are too good for, don't like the conditions, the pay etc. My brother couldn't get a labourer worth a pinch of proverbial. He tried advertising himself, He tried friend's of his kids (hell he even tried his own kids but they weren't interested). He'd get candidates sent Centrelink and if he was lucky they'd last a day before it all got too hard for them, poor darlings. He now has two blokes who happily turn up to work every single day and do a great job...neither of them are Australian. It's a sad reflection on where this country is headed IMHO.

Bgs
25-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I also think there may be a lot of jobs out there that many Australians think they are too good for,

That's a good point Mrs HMS, Fruit Picking is one such job and if it wasn't for immigrant labor a lot of fruit veggies would be rotting in the fields.

BLACK BEAR
25-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Any person wanting to migrate as a skilled worker must make sure that their appropriate job/skill is on the Critical Skills List and/or MODL (Migration Occupation in Demand) list. They have their degrees etc verified by the appropriate authority in that field and depending which University they studied at, it may be recognised or they may need to do some extra studies to get the Aust qualification. Depending on whether it is a trade or a professional job they need to pass an IELTS test(International english language testing system) minimum 5.5 for trades and 7.0 for a professional job.

Bluey
25-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I'll leave it at that Bluey, what you think about aussie kids being turned down for medicine is wrong, and based only on opinion. My wife has saved hundreds of aussie lives since she's been over here... bloody thankless task too... she's been assaulted by drunk, drugged up, abusive aussies who live off the government... but I won't judge just by what I see because there is always 2 sides to every story and always people who know what they believe is right. Immigrants eh... what do they do?

Mate I am not against immigration and as I said I am not having a shot at you personally. I am just against what I see as unfair treatment of our own over some foreign nationals who come here. Bgs is right and I probably should not lump genuine immigrants with refugees. With all the extra people coming in it has to increase competition for available jobs and I think we should look to our own first.

Look at the standards they place on would be Dr's here education wise. Way to high if you ask me. Those same standards are not imposed in some other countries across the world yet a foreign Dr can practice here after doing some bridging exams. Go figure that one.

Admin is also correct we need to offer more training and more realistic education to our young people. Without it we get a lot of people who go through school with nothing to show for it at the end. There are too many airy fairy subjects like modern dance etc that school kids can choose from. Focus on the basics they will use in life and to gain employment. As a country Australia needs to take of the rose coloured glasses the chardonnay set have caused us to wear and get back to basics.

Just to get things clear I am not against immigration or immigrants. It is a thing we need to have to prosper but I am against some sections of our society being given huge benefits that are not given to the rest.

Bluey
25-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I also think there may be a lot of jobs out there that many Australians think they are too good for, don't like the conditions, the pay etc. My brother couldn't get a labourer worth a pinch of proverbial. .

Yes that is true but I also think it is a direct result of the handout mentality we have allowed to flourish in this country. It is far to easy to go on the dole and stay there so why work. The whole social security set up needs a massive overhaul.

A percentage of young Australians are fast becoming work shy and this is where the overseas worker shines because he is dedicated to hard work otherwise he wouldn't be here. However on the other hand there are many employers who don't offer a fair wage or conditions either.

Bluey
25-03-2009, 06:04 PM
When I was setting up my business I looked to see what grants were available for me. I was not on the dole having just taken a redunancy.

If I was an aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, a foreign speaking national or refugee or long term dole recipient there was money available to me.

However being none of these nothing was available. So I had to fund my own way which wasn't a problem. If you ask me decent hardworking middle class Australians are this counties true poor. We get bugger all from the Government yet we carry the lions share of the load. We need to tip the scales the other way a bit.

administrator
27-03-2009, 03:24 PM
THE ECONOMY AS SOME MAY SEE IT :who-knows

administrator
28-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Found this interesting

The Australian Government does it again....
Australian Government Refugee Allowances vs.Aust Pensioners

It is interesting that the Federal Government provides a Single Refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
and each can also get an additional $580. 00 in Social Assistance, so a total of $2,470.00 per month..
Family of 4 can receive $9,880.00 per month or yearly $118,685

A single Australian pensioner who, after contributing to the growth and development of Australia for
40 to 50 years, receives only a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed
Income Supplement. (Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!)

*Let's send this to all Australians so we can all be ticked off and maybe we can get the refugees cut back to
$1,012.00 and the pensioners up to $2,470.00 and enjoy some of the money we are forced to submit to the
Government in taxes.

administrator
28-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Cause its a hoax 118000 a year lol

Mrs HMS
28-03-2009, 10:41 AM
This is a complete hoax which started in the US and then got turned into an Australian version, a British version etc.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/refugees.asp

it's stuff like this that gets sent around in emails that spreads anger and resentment against a group of people who aren't to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

Sorry admin I'm sure you had the best intentions when posting this. Whenever I get something like this via email I go straight to snopes.com to check it out.

Bgs
28-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Found this interesting

The Australian Government does it again....
Australian Government Refugee Allowances vs.Aust Pensioners

It is interesting that the Federal Government provides a Single Refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
and each can also get an additional $580. 00 in Social Assistance, so a total of $2,470.00 per month..
Family of 4 can receive $9,880.00 per month or yearly $118,685

A single Australian pensioner who, after contributing to the growth and development of Australia for
40 to 50 years, receives only a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed
Income Supplement. (Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!)

*Let's send this to all Australians so we can all be ticked off and maybe we can get the refugees cut back to
$1,012.00 and the pensioners up to $2,470.00 and enjoy some of the money we are forced to submit to the
Government in taxes.

Yeah hoax emails are really interesting, this was on the news ages ago and proved to be a hoax I will see if I can dig up the details.

Edit Mrs HMS beat me to it.

Bluey
28-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Interesting point all the same. I wonder if there is any difference in what the old age pension is and what is supplied to refugees. You would have to take into account all benefits each group receives.

Bluey
18-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Interesting point all the same. I wonder if there is any difference in what the old age pension is and what is supplied to refugees. You would have to take into account all benefits each group receives.
Done some investigating and there is a difference in the money supplied by the govt directly to refugees and pensioners. Surprisingly refugees get less.Quite conveniently so too I might add.

But here comes the kicker. The govt indirectly supplies multiple organisations with huge amounts funding to assist refugees. This money is not directly reported by the government as going to support refugees. It is reported as donations to refugee bodies.

So on the books the government does not supply the refugees more money than the pensioners. In reality and indirectly they really do.

geejay
23-04-2009, 09:22 PM
looks like world growth minus 1.4%,aussie below that,worst in yonks,i reakons its going to be rough going,tighten belts,batten down the hatches...................

Mrs HMS
25-04-2009, 09:55 PM
and the economic stimulus package is only going to make Australia's bottom line look more depressing. Sure the money was nice and I don't know if anyone want to give it back but the way I look at it...

How much good did it do the last time you were broke and tried to spend your way out of it? :i dunno:

Bgs
25-04-2009, 10:06 PM
and the economic stimulus package is only going to make Australia's bottom line look more depressing. Sure the money was nice and I don't know if anyone want to give it back but the way I look at it...

How much good did it do the last time you were broke and tried to spend your way out of it? :i dunno:

As you said the money was nice :) but its not free cash , a lot of people I talk to seem to think its a tax rebate and its great they are getting back some of what they paid, unfortunately the government has had to borrow to do this from countries like china :confused:

Hows every one fairing ? hearing about lots of job losses in the media but everyone I know seems to be doing alright, It hasn't seem to affected my business yet grass is still growing though, interesting to see how it goes through winter.

danz
25-04-2009, 11:09 PM
'Ive actually noticed alot more people starting mowing bussinesses and alot more advertising, new flyers etc,, im guessing people getting put off from office jobs, mining and on on etc might be looking at other sources of a income, does anyone agree?

tree beard
25-04-2009, 11:38 PM
yes i would agree with that,

quite a few family sedans with trailers and new mowers getting about these days. What I would call a slowly increasing trend. hopefully winter will push them in other directions :Rain:

danz
29-04-2009, 01:02 AM
yeah good point the winter will probably slow a few up, god its been bloody cold in south gippsland but im guessing thats state wide brrrrr, so much rain aswell, yeah i see a few sedans as well with the ol trailer on, goodluck to them, you do after all have to start from somewhere, as long as they take pride in there work and dont tred on any toes or start cuttin other people grass (pardon the pun)

administrator
29-04-2009, 10:06 AM
The good thing about this country it can borrow and it can pay it back when times are good we have the natural resources to do it and farming .

Hard times in Australia is allways met by us head on and yes as a nation we work harder work smarter work together thats why we are proud of our country and our countrymen .

Will you see more trailers on the ground of course you will and over the last 5 years those part timers vanished because of the drought .

To be honest your just seeing a cycle in action .

Nothing new here . :aus-flag:

mowjoman
30-04-2009, 05:22 AM
'Ive actually noticed alot more people starting mowing bussinesses and alot more advertising, new flyers etc,, im guessing people getting put off from office jobs, mining and on on etc might be looking at other sources of a income, does anyone agree?

Definately.
Have seen it up this way too ay.
Heaps of newbies.
A customer of mine was approched by one door to dooring and he was telling her he'd lost his job so he was starting in this game. Good luck to him. I've counted probably 15 full time proffesional lawnies here and all of us are pretty much full up so theres room for more. 1/2 a dozen or so backyarders that may pick up some slack.

administrator
25-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Water is good for gardens

Once again, the Clarence River is in flood at Grafton, NSW, but if the Clarence River Scheme—which has been on the books since at least the early 1920s—had been built, that water would now be on its way down the Darling River, to save the parched towns, farms and lakes of South Australia.

The scheme would divert the waters of the upper Clarence and Nymboida Rivers over the Great Dividing Range into the Dumaresq River, and on into the Macintyre, Barwon, and Darling Rivers, before flowing into the Murray River near Mildura, and on down to South Australia. Additionally, a nearby Macleay River project would divert water into the Gwydir River and on into the Barwon and Darling Rivers.

Emeritus Professor Lance Endersbee designed the Clarence Scheme as a pump storage scheme, which can take advantage of surplus off-peak electricity to pump water over the range and into storage dams, which will then produce hydroelectricity from an annual flow of water comparable to that of the Snowy Mountains diversion.

(Professor Endersbee was Dean of Engineering and Pro-Vice Chancellor of Monash University, at the end of a long career which included distinguished work on the Snowy Mountains Scheme, Tasmania’s hydro scheme, and hydroelectric schemes in Southeast Asia.)

He told a Citizens Electoral Council conference in 1997, “There is the catchment of the Clarence River and it is a wonderful little cup in there, and very steep country, high rainfall and one of the highest rainfall areas in Australia, and they get the summer rains down from the monsoons coming down and they get the winter rains as well.

“So there is a lot of rainfall there and it all flows out into the sea, and if you have been to Grafton, you know how wide the Clarence River is at Grafton. It’s a big river.

“So I have ... designed a scheme for the diversion of the Clarence into the Darling. Now ... there is a lot of algae in the Darling... This would flush all the algae out of the Darling.”

Most importantly, the Clarence River diversion would go a long way to saving the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia’s food bowl, which produces 40 per cent of the national agricultural output, and comprises 75 per cent of Australia’s irrigated land.

haireyscarie
25-05-2009, 11:16 PM
yep spot on there admin
i live on the Macleay River (in flood now)
i think that a dam up from us will be spot on..lot of jobs a new road to armidale and then the water that can go to SA easy, i dont think in open water ways but ,from what i have read on this you lose to much to the hevens,so if we use storm water covered drain.and dam along the way, then more hydro plants as well so all the way it can make power and water supply.then join other places to the pipe line,,nd so on,, we could use a lot more of our country
my 2 cents

administrator
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Thankks Hairy not getting much spam anymore .

administrator
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Media Release 4th of June 2009
Craig Isherwood‚ National Secretary
PO Box 376‚ COBURG‚ VIC 3058
Phone: 03 9354 0544 Fax: 03 9354 0166
Email: cec@cecaust.com.au

God doesn’t need to save the Queen—she’s got Barnaby

As the June 15th deadline nears for the Australian Government’s decision to allow or disallow Chinalco to increase its stake in Rio Tinto, opposition to the move is playing out like a 19th century English comic opera, with Barnaby Joyce playing the “very model of a modern” toady of the Queen.

His crusade to protect Rio Tinto from the Chinese on the grounds of Australia’s national interest is high farce—it is a British company, owned by Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth herself.

The history of Rio Tinto is full of ironies with regards to the flap over Chinalco’s share bid:

It was founded in 1873 by Hugh Matheson, of the Jardine Matheson drug running firm, which wrested Hong Kong from China for Queen Victoria in the Opium Wars.
Lord Alfred Milner, who’s infamous British Round Table repackaged the British Empire as the British “Commonwealth”, chaired the company until 1925.
In World War II, the British-owned Rio Tinto produced pyrite in Spain for the Nazi war effort.
In 1962, it merged with the British-controlled Collins House firm Consolidated Zinc, to form Rio Tinto-Zinc (RTZ) and its Australian subsidiary Conzinc Rio Tinto Australia (CRA); CRA’s founding chairman, Sir Maurice Mawby, doubled as the chief fundraiser for Prince Philip’s newly established Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF), which spawned Australia’s entire “green” movement.
When RTZ became embroiled in international scandal in the 1970s, its chairman, Sir Mark Turner, formerly a top official in the British Ministry of Economic Warfare, expressed concern that, “You’re running into problems of what the government is going to say about the Queen’s involvement.” In 1977, it was revealed through a question in the British parliament that the Bank of England set up a special nominees company to hide investments of the Queen’s portfolio.
In Australia, Rio Tinto, formerly CRA, has played a central role in all of the major assaults on Australia’s economic sovereignty in the past three decades—the sacking of Whitlam; union-busting; environmentalism and land rights; and the Hawke-Keating economic “reforms” of free trade, privatisation, the Hilmer Commission into National Competition Policy, and the Productivity Commission.
Since 1983, the “reforms” of Australia’s economy initiated by Hawke and Keating, and fully supported, and continued, by the Howard Coalition, have decimated Australia’s once-proud manufacturing sector and family farms, and reduced the economy to little more than a giant quarry of raw materials, for the globalised world economy, of which the chief beneficiary has been Rio Tinto.

Bgs
06-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Give them hell Barnaby :russ:

I heard this on the radio the other day and it had me in stitches :laughing:

In the Senate Economics Committee tonight, when most of you were watching the State of Origin, Senator Barnaby Joyce, the Leader of the Nationals in the Senate was trying to discover where the green jobs are. He questioned Meghan Quinn, Manager, Climate Change Modelling Division, Department of the Treasury.

Senator Barnaby Joyce: In your modelling as you transfer people into jobs, where were those jobs, Ms Quinn?

Meghan Quinn: The general shift from higher intensive emission industries to lower intensive emission industries. So there is a table on 6.12.

SBJ: Give me an example of the Top 3.

MQ: Increases in the electricity supply for renewable energy.

SBJ: The supply for renewable energy, so what are those people doing?

MQ: The supply of renewable energy covers all types of energy, hydro, wind, geothermal potentially by 2050.

SBJ: These people want to turn up to work what are they actually doing. What do they look like, are they construction workers, are they electricians, are they accountants.

MQ: The actual electricity supply … the people working in the industries. People who are looking after the production of the actual wind farm, the operation of the wind farm. The construction component would be captured by the construction sector.

SBJ: What is the person who is operating the wind farm? What is he or she doing?

MQ: I am not a technical engineer so I don’t think I can answer that question.

SBJ: Have you been to an actual wind farm lately?

MQ: I’ve seen a wind farm, yes.

SBJ: How many people did you see working there?

MQ: Well there was a person taking me around.

SBJ: Generally no one?

MQ: Well I don’t know. There must be some.

SBJ: Been out to a coal mine lately?

MQ: Not lately.

SBJ: From what you have seen on television does it seem like many people working there?

MQ: There has a been a reduction in the share of people working in the mining industry generally.

SBJ: What’s your next big one?

MQ: Forestry

SBJ: Forestry? OK, so what are the people doing there in forestry. What are the people doing there?

MQ: I presume they are looking after trees.

SBJ: Have you been to a forest lately?

MQ: Yes.

SBJ: Did you see many people wandering around there, any people working?

MQ: I am not an expert on the particular industrial structure of these industries.

SBJ: What’s your third one?

MQ: They are spread over a number. Other manufacturing,

SBJ: What are they actually manufacturing in the other manufacturing?

MQ: A whole range of manufacturing. I can give you a breakdown. I would have to check the categories. I know what it is not. I know it is not motor vehicles, metals or metal products.

SBJ: Can you think of anything they would be manufacturing in the other manufacturing?

MQ: I would have to take it on notice.

SBJ: I am just going looking for those green jobs, I have to start finding them now.

MQ: Employment redistribution in the employment model is not necessarily what you would think of as green jobs. There are shifts in employment in what you might not think of as green jobs as we move from high to low emission industries.

SBJ: That’s constructing wind towers?

MQ: There is a reallocation in the Australian industry from high emission to low emission. It doesn’t necessarily relate to renewable energy, it’s simply producing goods that are low emission.

SBJ: It stands to reason. You take someone out of a mine you give them a brush cutter and tell them to start to wander around the forest. This is all fanciful.

DavidS
08-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I can certainly understand why, what lot of rubbish. I hope she does not have to much infulence over our economy.

BJS Services
05-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi Dean and members,
If you look back in the program you will see our letters re how we got started, also our efforts to try and defeat the lawn grubs who have no insurance pay no GST Income Tax etc. Our price for a lawn is now $40 and upwards from there. While we are often undercut. Our reputation for reliability and doing a good job gets us plenty of work.

We sold our house and used the money to buy mostly new machinery the latest purchase being a Torro 60 inch Diesel 100 hrs on the meter. The punter who owned it paid $25,000 new two years ago. Due to the fact that he was in a hurry to sell and we had the cash handy a very good deal was done.

The business is 100% paid for and is turning over up to $2300 on a good week. We employ a guy now and then to drive the slasher on the big jobs.

All in all things are working out well our next project is to do council work, they are requiring a 10 million Insurance cover for all our operators so that will have to be costed out.

Best regards to all and thanks Dean for your help.
Bob Judy and Gary B&J Mowing and Garden services Bundaberg.http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-07-2009, 10:13 PM
G'day BJS,
Good on ya, makes me feel a bit more optimistic. I've been up and running for a little over a month now and I know its going to take a lot of time and effort to build a run but I seem to be spending a lot of time doing odd jobs and landscaping/construction jobs. I need to make a decision to head one way or the other I think. Problem is I really like doing both. Could you tell me how long you've been in the game and did you find the same thing to begin with. :wave-hi:

ian
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
well there now saying the economy is starting to go goo enough that they will have to increase interest rates again just what i need

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
well there now saying the economy is starting to go goo enough that they will have to increase interest rates again just what i need

I hear ya Ian, not they'll go up this week but it's going to happen soon,according to the late news.

ian
04-08-2009, 12:38 AM
as long as they don't go to the 17.5 % i was paying under hawke/keeting :)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-08-2009, 12:52 AM
as long as they don't go to the 17.5 % i was paying under hawke/keeting :)

I was a bit too young and dumb when that happened but I know how much it affected people now.
Being new in this business and starting from scratch I might have to find a part time job at this rate especialy if the interest rates start going up,unless I start getting a lot more work :frightene

ian
04-08-2009, 01:03 AM
hey glenno don't worry spring is just around the corner then you won't know whats hit you with all the work

BLACK BEAR
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I got news for you boys! :frightene :frightene 90% of all the banks are controlled by the BIG 4. what do you think they will want to do as soon as they get a sniff the economy is on the way up? ;dealers; MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME, add more margin to their rates on h/loans etc and we wont be able to do stuff all about it.
Better to stick to the building societies etc until some government with Balls does something about the banks :i dunno:
Just like they did with the oil companies :laughing:and the supermarkets :laughing:

ian
05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
we had oil watch and grocery watch so don't worry rudd will bring in bank watch, hire heaps of public servants on outrageous wages to sit there and watch the banks gouge us

Islandhead
05-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Couldn't agree more Ian. Just like all the admin managers sucking the money out of the health system while saying cutting down on beds would save the health system money.... sigh... too much beaurocracy everywhere we turn :mad:

stewart
06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Interesting subject Admin brought up, unfortunately there are some rather misguided people here, who think Aust. can exist solely on its lonesome. If aussie govts arn't prepared to skill our youth and provide incentives for them to get ahead then what choice do we have than to out source our work. :dean: The economy is a global thing to some extent. :rolleyes: As for the aussie dollar, it is totally controlled by the fluctuating $ US.

South East Mowing
28-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Looks like building both residential and commercial could be taking off if my developers I used to do are any sign!

3 guys with over 6 acres in wheelers hill, 3 acres in Berwick and 3/4 acre in black rock all lost over the last 6-9 months.
Have to wait for another year or so to offer services on the completed product!