PDA

View Full Version : recomended 42 ich zero turn

whitey
16-03-2009, 07:56 PM
hi guys and girls
i work for a large western sydney council and i am the team leader for our cemetery maintenance team.
we are currently running 2 husqvarna zero turns which are nearing the end of there "tour of duty" and as they no longer produce this particular commercial model anymore we are on the look out for new machines.
ive had a bit of a search around trying to find suitable replacements but as due to the narrow pathways we are limited to a deck of no more than 42 inches and must be a "commercial" type machine due to the rough conditions we have in certain areas

i keep reading great things about the hustler range of mowers so i am going to test these ,have tried walkers but its to rough for them
so if any of you out there have any ideas please let me know
thanks
paul
p.s great forum guys ,lots of great reading and info

haireyscarie
16-03-2009, 09:32 PM
G-DAY Whitey
and welcome to the forums
i think you will like the hustler
great mower
very tuff gear

cheers
scarie

whitey
17-03-2009, 06:36 PM
hi and thanks for that info regarding the hustlers
just hope we can get something done very soon as the husqvarnas are breaking down now on a daily basis and with the way the grass is growing out here atm its pretty bad

casadel
18-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Hello Whitey, the only mower you should look at are the Scags this is what i run they will leave every other zero tun mower way behind for speed, cut, peformance and will go all day, they also have a selection of blades for different types of grass and grass catchers if needed, They will be more expensive to buy but once you use won you will be glad you paid the extra, go to there website www.scag.com and have a look. The main dealer is International Mowers in Melbourne they also have a website, I live in Sydney and work in north western area My Scags are used for domestic and commercial work and have never let me down hope this helps

Regards Rob, Maxwells Mowing

whitey
18-03-2009, 07:42 PM
thanks for that reply
i have looked on the scag site but i couuldnt see a 42 inch deck option on there
do you know if this option is available with them as if it is i will definatly have a look at them
thanks
paul

casadel
18-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Paul, thanks for the email it looks like most of the scags start from 48 inches the freedom z is 36 inches but this model is more a domestic mower they used to make a z cat which was commercial quality but no more but if you can use a 48 inch then i would recommend from the new tiger cat up you wont be disappointed if you buy one of there mowers if you would like to talk to me send me your mobile or home number.

Regards Rob,Maxwells Mowing

geoff
18-03-2009, 08:06 PM
so hows does the scag go on slopes and approx cost of the 42 inch...ive seen them and they look arwsome in strength and power ...ive got the tractor type ride on because of the slopes i have to contend with but these things look like they could handle it

casadel
18-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Geoff, very stable on slopes if you do alot of slopes you can put a different tyre pattern on and it will hold better however they say that to test a slope before you go to mow it is to back the scag up the slope when wheels start to spin that as far as you can mow remember safety is the most important thing the only other mower i know for slopes is the grillo the best i have seen they use it in coffs harbour on the banana plantation slopes try www.grillo.com as for cost of scags they start from around $12,000 to $30,000

Regards Rob, Maxwells Mowing

geoff
18-03-2009, 08:25 PM
thanks for that may have to have a look at them although pricey but hey its waht u pay for what u get i say

casadel
18-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Geoff, grillo website www.agrigarden.com.nz

Rob

whitey
18-03-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks for the replies guys
just heard back from the big boss that we are going to have a meeting in the next few days regarding replacement mowers,as i have suggested that we actually need 3 mowers ,2 42 inch for the pathway area and 1 large mower for the open area
will keep u all updated
paul

greasemonkey
21-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Just putting it out there that the 42" commercial hustler (super duty fasrtak) with a 19hp twin kwaka retail at around 11400.

whitey
22-03-2009, 05:31 PM
yeah thanks for that,took a drive over to ingelburn on friday and had a look at these machines
they look very well built (much better than the huskies we have now)
will arrange a test day with them soon and let you know how we go
thanks

whitey
25-03-2009, 10:21 PM
just lettin you guys know we had hewlett equipment bring out a husky for a test drive on tuesday afternoon
gave it a work out in very long grass and also tested its finish in the short grass,big thumbs up
even our fleet manager was impressed with them and it takes alot to impress him, well anyway i was speaking to him today and he has placed an order on 2 new hustlers for us
ill keep you guys posted when they arrive
paul

whitey
19-04-2009, 06:03 PM
well guys the new toys arrived on friday, should have em up and running next week ,just have to modify the trailer a bit as they are a touch longer than the current mowers

superz
19-04-2009, 06:29 PM
gday whitey,
you will be impressed with hustler
are you looking at the super duty model
go for the most hp engine avalible good luck..

SouthCoast Walker
21-04-2009, 12:07 AM
well guys the new toys arrived on friday, should have em up and running next week ,just have to modify the trailer a bit as they are a touch longer than the current mowers

What model and engines did you go with?

greasemonkey
21-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Well done mate, you won't be disappointed. What models did you end up getting?

superz
21-04-2009, 08:08 AM
my first model was the mini z kawasaki
19hp 44inch deck commercial pumps
and hydros great mower . upgraded
to the super z kohler 30hp 60inch deck

mattw75
21-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I work on a resort north of Cairns as my main job, landscaping lawns and gardens. We us the 'Hustler' zero turn and it works wonders. It's a bit dodgy on going down slopes but generally it's a gr8 machine. give it a test run at your local dealer

whitey
21-04-2009, 10:08 PM
we got 2 of the 42 inch with the 18-19 hp kawasaki engines think there called super duty will be fitting them to the trailers tomorrow and if it ever stops raining we will get to use em

mowjoman
22-04-2009, 05:44 AM
I work on a resort north of Cairns as my main job, landscaping lawns and gardens. We us the 'Hustler' zero turn and it works wonders. It's a bit dodgy on going down slopes but generally it's a gr8 machine. give it a test run at your local dealer

Ay another Nth Queenslander...Welcome Matt :cool:

Most getting around here have either Hustlers or Toros. Those with Hustlers how many hrs are ya's getting out of spindle bearings?
Only reason I ask is there not greasable and a few have had trouble with this that I know of :i dunno:

DavidS
22-04-2009, 05:49 AM
We have a Toros and we only get 350 hrs out of L/H spindle and about 500 hrs out of the centre one, R/H one has lasted for 1200hrs

greasemonkey
22-04-2009, 09:15 AM
We have a Toros and we only get 350 hrs out of L/H spindle and about 500 hrs out of the centre one, R/H one has lasted for 1200hrs

That's weird, it's normally the other way around as the discharge side does the most work. :i dunno:

The bigger Hustlers (Hustler Z and Super Z) all have greaseable bearings. It's a bit of a no win situation really, I get people whinging that bearings aren't greaseable...but then they never even grease the other grease points on the mower, so having greaseable bearings would be a waste of time. Can't win with some people hahaha.

Once the standard bearings wear out, I normally change them for a high quality NTN bearing and they last heaps longer.

SouthCoast Walker
22-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I have got a Walker 62inch side discharge with 1700hrs on it, only had to change 1 spindle bearing and it was the centre.

whitey
24-04-2009, 08:59 AM
well guys ,we gave the hustlers there maiden mow yesterday thru some very long wet grass and the were excellent,great finish,didnt bog down like the husqvarnas use to and i cant beleive how fast they can cut
i will keep this thread open and keep you guys updated onn how they are going
paul

DavidS
24-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Your right greasemonkey, after seeing your post I went and checked service history and I had it around the wrong way. I will try the NTN brgs next time. I have just been using the brgs supplied by Toro dealer?

greasemonkey
27-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure what bearings the toro dealer would be using. He could be using NTN, but also could be using genuine parts. NTN are widely available through most bearing shops like CBC. They are more expensive but are definately worth it.

superz
27-04-2009, 10:37 PM
you will b happy with the super duty
couple of other contrators i know have
them they are very pleased with them
always check wheel nuts 4 tightness they
do tend to come loose they will sheer the wheel
stud holes seen it happen...... good luck hustling grass

greasemonkey
28-04-2009, 07:03 AM
I had this once when they first came out. Hustler sent a service bulletin out about it and they removed a spacer from behind the wheels and have changed the rims. We've sold a heap since then and never had it happen again.

That said, I always check wheel nut tension when doing a service.

The only thing that is pretty important, make sure to get the initial transmission service done at 75 hours. It's very important for the life of the trans and to maintain warranty. It's supposed to be done every 200 hours after that.

rooread
06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I had the rims crack on my Mini Z and my local dealer really dragged his heels on replacing them. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing they finally came through.
For anyone who has hassles with their Hustlers, I recommend contacting the distributor directly. The mechanic there is a legend.... He talked me through fitting the clutch kit when I kept throwing belts. The dealer said my mower didn't need the kit (after 3 or 4 visits) but eventually (after dealing with the distributor directly) the kit arrived in the mail. My Hustler has been bullet proof ever since.

greasemonkey
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Depends if your dealer is any good or not ;-) haha.

The Mini Z had some trouble when they first came out with rims cracking but they recalled them under warranty and changed the rim design. We haven't had any do it since. Those clutch lowering kits can be a pain...I really don't know how they didn't notice that two pulleys that are right next to each other were 3/4" out of alignment when they produced and tested the machines! :P