PDA

View Full Version : Swinging Vs Bar blades

SouthCoast Walker
17-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

Do you guys feel you can get the same quality cut from a bar blade as you can from a swinging blade on a 21" pushy.

I have had Hondas with bar blade and currently Toro's and the cut quality is good, but when I use my Victa 550 or 460 side discharges with swinging blades, there is a noticeable increase in the quality of cut. "just a pity I cant bag with them"

Other find the same?

Think its time to mo some swingers on the Toro. Will be much cheaper too. :)

Thanks John.

SouthCoast Walker
17-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Should have read MOD some swingers on the Toro.

administrator
17-03-2009, 08:47 PM
If you hit something solid with a bar blade attached more than likely will break or crack shaft .

SouthCoast Walker
17-03-2009, 09:13 PM
If you hit something solid with a bar blade attached more than likely will break or crack shaft .

Yes swingers are more forgiving when hitting foreign objects as well, wonder why so many companies have resorted to bars then?

obviously bar blades are friendlier to remove and change compared to swingers with individual worn away bolts. manufacturers can also slug us more $$$ for them.

administrator
17-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Actually they have been trying to pass a law in Australia to outlaw swing blades due to health and safety so dont be surprised if an when it gets through and you will be stuck with bar blades only as they allready do in many countries .

BLACK BEAR
17-03-2009, 10:05 PM
U had better order a * * * * load of blades for us when you find out then admin ;)

SouthCoast Walker
17-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Actually they have been trying to pass a law in Australia to outlaw swing blades due to health and safety so dont be surprised if an when it gets through and you will be stuck with bar blades only as they allready do in many countries .

Yeah sounds about right, everything fun or effective gets banned
:dean:

Islandhead
17-03-2009, 10:53 PM

Any ideas when this is happening admin? Or is it more an in the pipeline kind of thing?

administrator
18-03-2009, 09:04 AM
They try it every now and again at the moment i dont think its going to pass so all may safe for a few more years .

Depends on how many silly buggers dont replace the swing back blade if you look at most domestic mowers the blades are left on so long they crack and fly of the blade carrier and they never replace the bolts .etc

Its not the pros that cause change its the domestic market as they say at risk due to poor maintenance as you know people that earn a living of these machines maintain equipment properly and have good Occupational Health and safety procedures in place .

Dont you .

greasemonkey
21-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I would much rather swing backs...Better quality of cut. Less chance of a major problem with hitting foreign objects and heaps cheaper to replace.

Wattle GC
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Bar blades are good but not forgiving.Hit something and you will brake or bend the crank.Quality of cut is reduced a little especially in couch both Qld and common ,Kentucy Blue and tall fescue...If the customer is not to fussy its ok.. I prefer 4 blades purely for quality of cut...

Arfa Brayne
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,

Do you guys feel you can get the same quality cut from a bar blade as you can from a swinging blade on a 21" pushy.

I have had Hondas with bar blade and currently Toro's and the cut quality is good, but when I use my Victa 550 or 460 side discharges with swinging blades, there is a noticeable increase in the quality of cut. "just a pity I cant bag with them"

Other find the same?

Think its time to mo some swingers on the Toro. Will be much cheaper too. :)

Thanks John.

The victas run shorter blades, higher RPM, and lighter weight than the standard 21" hondas, which means less flex, better cut, and less bounce = better finish.
Check out the "216 mods" on this site, there is a lot about blades and stuff.
If you really want a sweet "polished" finish to the lawn, lengthen the height bar that runs between the front and back axles by about 5mm. This reduces the height difference between front and back axles from 18-20mm (stock) to 7-8mm. This eliminates the crescent cuts of the stock setup, and combined with the cox blades gives a beautifull finish.
The mowers I have done this mod to, I have opted for an adjustable bar by welding in threaded bar and nut with a lock nut.
The old rover self drive mulch and catch had an adjustable bar standard, which worked so well I borrowed the idea for the Honda.

geoff1969
01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
hi all
got a problem with a bigbob superswift it runs a bar type blade ( not a disc ) with single honda swing blade each end = { more forgiving than ridgig straight blade }, keeps chewing out the boss that ataches to the cranksaft { not on the cranksaft its self } but the bottom of the boss where the bar blade type carrier bolts to it ..any ideas ???? the stuff ive been cutting with it aint that feral finish them off with the honda no problem one boss = about 25 cuts in 12 inch grass then stuffed but there no vibaration or nothing to indicate some thing is out of ballance ..
any help apreciated
cheers geoff