PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Terrarium

Bluey
18-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Just finished and stocked this one. It is just over 5 foot and is housing 2 baby bearded dragons. I built it for my wife. It is out the back under the pergola.What do you reckon?

Hustler
18-03-2009, 09:28 PM
If you built it for the wife how come shes not in it .ha ha ha ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; looks good sorry to take the p-ss out of you

haireyscarie
18-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Just finished and stocked this one. It is just over 5 foot and is housing 2 baby bearded dragons. I built it for my wife. It is out the back under the pergola.What do you reckon?
nice set up there bluey
you got to love the breadys

administrator
19-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Bluey thats a bueaty .

Do the girl dragons have beards as well .

Wouldnt of been cheap to build but would of been hell of an expense if you bought one .

Maybe the old type of wooden bunk beds would be good to use for the timber .

I know you are wise in frugalness lol so what was the expense in making it and what did you make it off or did you buy the meaterials new .
i Guess the glass you would of purchased new .

Any tips there Bluey might have a crack at making one allthough i am like Frank Spencer when it comes to that sort of thing .

Bluey
19-03-2009, 05:07 PM
It didn't really cost that much at all. It used to be an outdoor bench in my entertainment area. It is made of left over pine struts and exterior ply.

I just took the top off and cut it lengthwise down the center and then cut the front half in two to make two lift up doors on the top. Only thing I purchased was the ply to make the sides and the back and the perspex for the front. I used 4mm perspex instead of glass because I could drill it and screw it to the frame. If I used glass I would have to put runners in and there really is no need as you can access the tank from the top two doors.

I had to buy the hardware and that was the most expensive bit but I reckon all up it was just short of $350 but I had to buy more ply and perspex than I needed as they would only sell in minimum quantities but I have it left over for something else now.

Had to buy the heat lamp fitting and globe (not cheap), the thermostat, 2 x 18 inch fluro battens, 2 x air vents, a UVA/UVB fluro and a moonlight fluro. The missus bought a few bits and pieces like feed bowls and a nifty little water bowl they can walk into. And I also bought 4 hinges and 2 flush fitting brass handles for the lids and a stack of screws.

I still need to put the fluro's on timers and a mate has some false rock he is giving me for the back. I have another mate who got me the beardies for nothing (ask no questions and if anyone does they came from a pet shop :ebony: )

I shopped around and had a look at some of the bigger set ups and they go for up to $2500 so I reckon it was a bargain to do it this way. It was pretty easy to do and well within the range of the average handy man. The bench is easy to make and I originally made it with it in mind to enclose it. Made it from scrap I had lying around from a bar room I made under an old high set Queenslander years ago.

I had to get it finished quicker than I liked as my mate got the beardies too quick for me but I can finish it off with them in the tank now.

It was my wife's idea to use the bench. I was just the slave labour but she did keep me well supplied with beer so no complaints

Bluey
19-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh and forgot there are 2 x $12 digital thermometers. One at either end so you can keep an eye on the temp range. Those ar the little black things in the photo

Bluey
19-03-2009, 05:18 PM
nice set up there bluey
you got to love the breadys
Yep your right Hairy. I have never kept them before and I am fascinated by them and they are so inquisitive. I turn out the lights in the entertainment area of night and with the moonlight on it is fun to watch them hunt crickets.

Vicky was watching them the other day and she reckoned one waved to her. They certainly do watch us through the perspex.

haireyscarie
19-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Yep your right Hairy. I have never kept them before and I am fascinated by them and they are so inquisitive. I turn out the lights in the entertainment area of night and with the moonlight on it is fun to watch them hunt crickets.

Vicky was watching them the other day and she reckoned one waved to her. They certainly do watch us through the perspex.
try mealworm
you can breed these guys very easy
or buy the crickets for about 7 to 8 bucks
buy some lagre mealworms
put them in a container with some holes in them
and wheat and oats.and a apple quarter
and the will turn to beatles
then breed
them worm worms

Bluey
19-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks mate

The herpe shop guys told me to stay clear of meal worms until they grew up a bit. They are only about 4 inches long so I reckon they would have a fight on their hands digesting a meal worm but I will definitely start a meal worm factory when they get bigger.

Have you kept beardies before? Any more tips. I keep frogs and fish but this is my first venture into lizards although Vicky has kept them ages ago.

I also have a direct pipeline to the factory that supplies all the pet shops around here with crickets and meal worms. I tracked them down and they are happy to sell to me on the quite and it is far cheaper than buying from a pet shop although I do have to buy a bigger amount.

Bluey
31-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Been doing some re decorating on the Lizard Kids Hotel. Can you see the boys?

Bluey
31-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I now have a cricket farm operating inside the tank. If it works I will be self sufficient. No more buying crickets. Got the guff off a pet shop owner on how to do it. time will tell if I have an ever renewing source of lizard protien ;)

haireyscarie
01-04-2009, 07:59 AM
I now have a cricket farm operating inside the tank. If it works I will be self sufficient. No more buying crickets. Got the guff off a pet shop owner on how to do it. time will tell if I have an ever renewing source of lizard protien ;)
lol
i wish cricket were that easy to breed..
you need a cricket keeper
http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/images/cricket-keeper-underworld.jpg
put some peat moss or cocco peat (damp)..
and put all your big one's in there
they will start to lay eggs.strait away..
we use a few cotainer for this ,and keep moveing the big cricket to next container..and then they start to hatch..
this is were it gets hard to keep them alive

cheers
scarie :ebony:

Bluey
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Gary

These look great. Thanks for the tip. I might invest in a couple of them.

Bluey
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
The Lizard Kids are getting bigger. Little buggers sure know how to put it away. They eat fruit as well as crickets now and these little veggie ball things I got from the shop. They actually prefer a particular coloured one. They are great to watch. Can't believe I never set up this before.

Can you see the live food in the photo. Poor bugger is too scared to move. He did and they got him about a minute after this photo was taken. Crickets have a very shorty life span with these two.

administrator
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Jarrasic Park in South Australia Nice one bluey ..

Bluey
02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
lol...yep I am really getting into keeping them. We have named them now too. The one on the left of the photo is Cougar and the one on the right is Bundy. I think we may have lucked out and got a male and a female. Still to early to tell. I reckon Cougar is a girl. Bundy is bigger and more active than Cougar and more dominant. If they breed I am going to name the first one Coke.

haireyscarie
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
lol
nice 1 mate hope they are for you

Bluey
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I am now working on the east wing of Lizard Land. This one will be a high rise so they can get up higher and survey the land. Will post pics when it is finished. The lizard kids keep growing and my theory of raising their food on the hoof in their tank has worked wonders. Have masses of crickets from pin heads to adults and the lizards just sit back and pop them off when they feel like it.

They are definitly a pair. Cougar is starting to learn about girls but Bundy is playing hard to get. I may have to turn the east wing into the nursery if all goes well

Bluey
07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's some updated pics

Bluey
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I reckon Cougar is a girl. Bundy is bigger and more active than Cougar and more dominant. If they breed I am going to name the first one Coke.

Oh how wrong I was with this soothsaying. Won't make the grade as a lizard s*xer I am afraid. It was the other way round.

Andy B
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh how wrong I was with this soothsaying. Won't make the grade as a lizard s*xer I am afraid. It was the other way round.

So much for calling them the fairer *** in the lizard game. But I'd rather be a small lizard than a wedding feast praying mantis. :)

Redeye
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Thats great!! Brings back memories, I used to build aquariums for a living, commercial & domestic, we'd get the occasional one-off for snakes (don't remember doing a dedicated lizard tank!) and a fair lot of lobster tanks for restaurants.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Thats grouse Bluey. Used to keep lizards as a kid. Then up until 5 years ago I kept and breed a lot of aquarium fish, mainly american and african cichlids. Had 33 tanks running, was a lot of work but I still miss it. :) :)

Bluey
18-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Wired up the electrics over the weekend and put in the thermostat and UVB lights. Now I just have to find that perfect stump to go in the centre of the tank and then put the perspex on and put in the substrate. Hopefully be finished next week end if I pull my finger out.

Bluey
18-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Thats grouse Bluey. Used to keep lizards as a kid. Then up until 5 years ago I kept and breed a lot of aquarium fish, mainly american and african cichlids. Had 33 tanks running, was a lot of work but I still miss it. :) :)

You should have another crack at it Cranbourne. I find it a great relaxant to build things and the routine of looking after the various critters I have slows me down and gives me time to think about things when I am doing it. Plus we all enjoy our pets as a family.

My next project is to resurrect the frog tank. Then I have a very large water dragon enclosure in mind that will be a humdinger when built. Going to build it in a section of garden between my entertainment area and the carport complete with creek and water feature. That's going to be fun but it will take sometime to build.

Bluey
18-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Thats great!! Brings back memories, I used to build aquariums for a living, commercial & domestic, we'd get the occasional one-off for snakes (don't remember doing a dedicated lizard tank!) and a fair lot of lobster tanks for restaurants.

That's very interesting Redeye. I have a 3 foot x 3 foot aquarium complete with false rock back wall that I have to build a stand for. I want to build it at one end of my kitchen into a breakfast bar set up and I am going to keep a couple of oscars in it. The only problem is getting the tank supports stand built correctly as it will hold nearly 3/4 tonne of water when full. I am a bit nervous about it. Any pointers

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey just found this. You still got these guys Bluey? Have you ***ed them yet? Heres a few pics of my setup and my man Barry!

Bluey
07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes mate I have. One male one female. I am in the process of building a tower for Her Highness so bloody Cougar the male will leave her alone. No kids yet.

edbeek
07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I get a few bearded dragons here.
If I'm digging dirt, one will usually poke over to see what I'm up to and see if any food is on offer.

They are the coolest critters. No fear at all.
Sometimes when mowing, I've got to get off to chase it out of the way, then next lap, move it a bit further again :)

Bluey
25-09-2011, 06:54 PM
The lizard tower is complete. Still have to properly do the wiring and add doors to the bottom of both tanks but this is it.

Bluey
25-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Here's a night time photo

Jayk
25-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The lizard tower is complete. Still have to properly do the wiring and add doors to the bottom of both tanks but this is it.

nice work mate!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
25-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Thats awesome mate I wanted to get some lizards but you need a licence for them up here.

Mrs HMS
04-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Bluey, as a lover of things herpatological (sp?) I thought you might be interested in some photos my MIL has just sent us. She's currently in Ecuador and just spent a few days touring the Galapagos Islands.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v245/alyssasmum/Galapagos%202011/

Bluey
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
:helpWell you little vixen...fancy calling me a herpatologist and then taking me to a private room...

Mrs HMS
04-01-2012, 08:45 PM
aw sorry..forgot to change my default settings...

Try again

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v245/alyssasmum/Galapagos%202011/?albumview=slideshow

and I really hope I used the correct "ologist"

Bluey
05-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Pretty good shots Jo. Those Iguanas are pretty cool looking lizards.