PDA

View Full Version : The order in witch things are done.

Alex Callaghan
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
So how do we all go about mowing our lawns?

There are lots of veriations in how to go about doing the entire job and the order it all goes in.

I'll Normaly do a Trim, Blow, Mow, Blow and go. If there are leaves and other debris on the hardscapes.

Or

If it's the first time I've ever mowed the lawn I'll mow, trim, blow and again if there are lots of leaves I'll blow first and again before I leave.
I do it this way when I'm a virgin to a lawn cause If I trim first Because I don't know the ips and downs and thicknesses of the turf I'll usually stuff up my levels and having trimming higher than mowing or vise versa.

Mainly I try to trim first and I usually walk backward with the trimmer so all the debris gets shot out onto the lawn and mulches up or gets picked up with the mower . Then I do a quick blow to get all the leaves and other stuff onto the lawn ready for mulching/bagging and then I'll mow. Then I'll blow once more before I go.
Thats pretty typical of how I'll go about doing a nice property.

Obiously there are different ways for different lawns but I just thought this would be good for all of us and we could share some tips and tecniques with each other.
I have lots of different ways to go about different jobs and little tricks as I'm sure we all do so mabey we can just feed of each other here and share some info!!

Tonyr
06-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey mate,

I do pretty much like you, but mostly I mow, trim, blow, and if the stuff I just blew is noticable I'll do a quick lap around and mulch it with mower.

I should trim first....sometimes I do, all depends on the job, energy level etc.

But it has been so long I'm only guessing ha ha ha

mick
06-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Yep, Trim, blow, mow, blow!
If the edges arent too bad, trim, mow, blow and go! Depends how much cr@p there is after the trim and type of customer/lawn and $$$$!

Trim backwards or left to right so all the rubbish gets thrown onto the lawn.

APS_QLD
06-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Each place is different but mostly trim, mow, blow. In some cases i vac although thats mainly because i have paths that have leaves away from the lawns so pick up the extra **** while i'm at it.

Sometimes i run depending on the level of the path and lawn the mower mostly on the path which picks up the **** saving that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i know this line is going to cause grief ....... extra blow job. :i dunno:

How do you all do the edges? Square cut or beveled. Well that what i call them anyway.

Brian

Alex Callaghan
06-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Each place is different but mostly trim, mow, blow. In some cases i vac although thats mainly because i have paths that have leaves away from the lawns so pick up the extra **** while i'm at it.

Sometimes i run depending on the level of the path and lawn the mower mostly on the path which picks up the **** saving that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i know this line is going to cause grief ....... extra blow job. :i dunno:

How do you all do the edges? Square cut or beveled. Well that what i call them anyway.

Brian

Personally I really like the results of the extra blow job. Always comes up a treat :russ: :laughing:

Some lawn I'll beval the edges. Mainly couch and kiykuyu lawns.
Buffalow I always sqaure cut otherwise it goes a bit brow where it been bevaled.
Sometimes I'll sqaure cut with the edger and then run over it and beval it with the trimmer. I like the bevaled look on smaller lots but on acreage I just couldn't be stuffed and it looks a bit wrong IMO.

Pain in the Grass
06-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I do a wombat.....eats, shoots, roots and leaves

Pain in the Grass
06-09-2004, 08:03 PM
or is that,,,,eats, roots, shoots and leaves....yeah that's it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: or myabe blow and go

mojo111
07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Yep, Trim, blow, mow, blow!
If the edges arent too bad, trim, mow, blow and go! Depends how much cr@p there is after the trim and type of customer/lawn and $$$$!

Trim backwards so all the rubbish gets thrown onto the lawn.

I'm with Mick. :wave-hi: I do it just the same.

dvmcmrhp52
08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
That's interesting...........
I don't know anyone that trims first. What happens to the areas you missed while mowing?
Or the areas that weren't trimmed quite enough?
Why blow twice?
This is for solo obviously, trimming is done at the same time as mowing otherwise..............

mojo111
08-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I don't know anyone that trims first. What happens to the areas you missed while mowing?
Why blow twice?
This is for solo obviously, trimming is done at the same time as mowing otherwise..............

I trim first so that waste goes back on the lawn. Never miss areas cos the grass here is cut pretty short and I allways make the trim area wide enough so the mower doesn't miss a thing, most times blow once unless theres a $hit load of cr@p then blow twice

mick
08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
I trim first so that waste goes back on the lawn. Never miss areas cos the grass here is cut pretty short and I allways make the trim area wide enough so the mower doesn't miss a thing, most times blow once unless theres a $hit load of cr@p then blow twice

Yep! Exactly!

Alex Callaghan
08-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Why blow twice?

If Its my first time on a particular lawn I generally wont trim first cause I don't know how high I'll be mowing till I've tested a few hights on an inconspicuose spot and I generally don't know the ups and downs of the lawn.

Arfter doing the job once before I'll trim first and will know how high or low to trim and wont miss anything cause I know how far I can trim up to obstical with the mowers

I'll only blow twice if there alot of leaves etc on hard scapes.

It's the way to go IMO!!!

Easycareacres
10-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Id rather have a beer first then get the missues to blow