PDA

View Full Version : Employment of labour

geoff
24-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Over the years ive used subbies and employed casuals , presently running solo.
I never know if its worthwhile to expand with employment of labour vs subcontract or just stay solo... theres heaps of for and against on this from trust , reliabilty , price ,workload and is it really worth it...what is the break even point etc ...your comments appreciated especially from the contractors that actually do it....

The Local Gardener
24-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey, Geoff, look at your annual overheads and ask yourself!!!!

Do I sleep well at nights or do I want to worry about "what if's".

Going solo is wonderful, using a subbie is less stressfull than acquiring a labourer. The renumeration benefits may be less using a subbie but at least you know it's a sure thing..... :i dunno:

Bluey
24-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Sometimes being solo just wont cut it especially if you have bigger jobs. I am struggling with this concept too but there was a similar post here somewhere and some good info from GlassnGrass on subbies

Mrs HMS
24-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I think it's this thread...

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3273

Bluey
24-03-2009, 09:45 PM
yep.. that's it..thanks Joanne

geoff
24-03-2009, 09:49 PM
sorry i didnt research rthat too well yeah joanne that posts is most useful they outstanding question is the break even point ..the draw the line in the sand point...i guess thats for each one to decide...i know someone that started with two and now has 75 well did , the drought dug in and he had to lay off , lost heaps of sleep over that one ..so i guess it bucks vs worry vs the simple life of doing what u want when u want.. i do like that life though...

Bluey
24-03-2009, 09:55 PM
sorry i didnt research rthat too well yeah joanne that posts is most useful they outstanding question is the break even point ..the draw the line in the sand point...i guess thats for each one to decide...i know someone that started with two and now has 75 well did , the drought dug in and he had to lay off , lost heaps of sleep over that one ..so i guess it bucks vs worry vs the simple life of doing what u want when u want.. i do like that life though...

Geoff

No prizes for seconds as they say. You gotta spend money to make money. My mates son started out in landscaping 6 yrs ago under a landscaper. Learned the trade and started his own business. He now has a gang of 8 men and is booked solid for the next 6 months on big jobs. I am starting to get into the bigger garden makeovers and employ a couple of casuals here and there along with my regular offsider.

This is where the good money is.

glassngrass
25-03-2009, 07:12 AM
I take on all the work I can in the off season, then use casual labor to keep up in spring. The drought has such a hold where I am and the mowing season is so short that if I stayed solo I'd go bust.

9 out of 10 casuals I've had are 'drop kicks' - either the agency figure 'this moron has no brains, but he CAN push a mower ' and so send them to me, else the casual figures 'I'm so much better than this, mowing is beneath me. I'd rather be watching Oprah/Dr Phil..."

They just don't have the same interest in your business as you do. My complaints to date are :
Misuse/abuse of equipment
Lost/stolen equipment
Scruffy/unkempt appearance
Constant private use of mobile phone
Sudden non-availability
Lack of enthusiam/laziness

Did a bucket water for a customer one afternoon. When I called 'time to go' the casual dropped everything. I later learned a neighbour called in the next morning to advise the tap had been running all night long.

After finishing one job then getting out to start the next, the casual says 'I need to go to the toilet'. I advise that the time to let me know is BEFORE we get to the next job - so I can swing by somewhere. Says he can wait half an hour. Doesn't turn up next day, "Got an interview for full time job'. Next day says he got the job and has induction training. I call his number by mistake - guess who's home watching tele? Later learn he "quit cos he wasn't 'allowed' to go to the loo!"

Another I took on as a favor to a previous empoyer. Her son in law recently out of prison and needed an opportunity. He was a good worker, but began to fall back into his past habits. One Sunday arvo he rings "I won't be coming in to work anymore". Why was that? "I know what you charge and I'm not getting my share! I'm better of staying at home". Three months later I get call from mining company wanting a reference for him. I tell them how he left. I then get an abusive phone call from ex employee - "You cost me a $100,000 job". I hang up. Two weeks later arson attempt on my van - jiffy firelighters set ablaze atop ALL FOUR tyres. Coincidence? Maybe.

Employees have mostly been a PITA for me, but I can't get subbies either! When I need them, they got all they work they can handle all by themselves!

If I lived along the eastern coast I'd choose to keep it simpler and stay solo.

geoff
26-03-2009, 04:30 PM
well david u have convinced me , good post

geejay
26-03-2009, 08:50 PM
a posiable solution that can be expensive,thus impratical, is to set up another business name,logo etc,that has no bearing on your main established business.do everything,marketing etc, that is independent from your main,cream,business, with new clients screen them, if they are iffy let the casual at them(looks like a good long term client,you do the job).this way the casual cannot tarnish your cream clients. if the casual worker proves good move him up to the established client base,if not out,next casual,until you get the right worker.

tree beard
26-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Guys & Gals

Have been toying with this problem myself of late.

There just isnt enough of me to go around!

Have been looking for an older employee, retiree and financiallly independant who wants to be out and about but not overly committed to anything, who can work independantly a few days a week. I was thinking of setting the run up so I do every second cut. Means I am still in the customers face, so 1. they can complain if there is a problem, and I can fix it. 2. So the casual cannot with any ease steal my customers or go into direct competition. 3. so I can still chase the add-in work and get through my quotes.

Have a potential candidate but still umm-ing and arr-ing as to if I should make the commitment to him. as we are all aware it may be a loveless relationship!