PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones do we leave them switched on after hours??

GregG
07-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I was wondering do you leave as youre advertised number is it a mobile , a land line or a 1800 number on 7 days a week.??
As I am just starting out should I have as a contact number my own personal mobile or my house number or a seperate number ( mobile or other) just for business.??
I believe that some contractors turn their contact number off (usually a mobile off after hours especially on weekends).Are you always available for youre customers??
I imagine that as I am concentrating on acreages I will not have the same total number of customers as contractors who handle small lawns only.

mojo111
07-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Greg :wave-hi: Mobile 24/7 plus land line. Most people only ring my mobile during the day and land line after hours anyway. I claim my mobile 100% for tax and about 50% of the land line allso. Got to be available all the time for Quotes, ya never know ya just might miss out on the big one if the phone is off or the answermachine is full. Call waiting is good I use that more than anything else. If ya are just starting out the phone is your lifesblood it can make you or break you. ie kids on the bloody net and not on call divert. Have had people ring me later and say. I've been trying to get hold of you but it just rings out. Some folk hate mobiles :i dunno: ya got to have both IMO. cheers. :wave-hi:

APS_QLD
07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Mine is on all the time, if i'm out somewhere dinner, movie, etc i turn it off. I don't have the hassle of people ringing all the time so it not a major issue for me. Then again i have not advertised sinse December so only my regular clients which are no hassles.

When i finally get the trailer finished and signage on ute and trailer may then become an issue so would look at it again.

As for numbers i used my mobile, home and 1800 number when i advertised.

My two cents worth

Brian

pbm
07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I am also contactable 24/7. I pretty much leave my mobile on 24 hours a day. If someone is phoning for a quote and they can't get you they just move on to the next guy.

Rod
08-09-2004, 06:33 AM
My primary source of contact is my mobile and that never gets turned off (except the Cinema.)

I also use a pager if and where I miss a call it diverts to a real person who will take a message and page me. This pager also has an email address that some customers have used to email me in the middle of the days as opposed to mobile call rates. The pager cost me $120.00 quarter ($1 a day.) The pager is a beauty as when mobile net gets congested it grabs the calls even when my phone cant ring (network busy.)

And thats another point for discussion. When you phone is turned on and a message comes through (phone never rang?) either message bank or the pager. Telstra is annoying when they put your service on standby usually around 8-9 a.m. or 4-6 p.m. when in peak times.

The pager is also a back up as one day I dropped my phone into a pool (from top pocket.) The pager captured calls for about 2 hours whilst the phone dried out on the dash board (still works.)

I use to utilize telstra message bank but found that only around 50% of people will leave a message. With a real person that is now close to 90%.

Tonyr
08-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Well....

I have my mobile on 24/7, this is the only number I advertise.
The only time I don't answer is when the freaks call after 10 at night or I simply can't, therefore I have message bank on and always respond asap.

I do not give out my landline number, I believe somewhere in this confusion we must seperate work from private, heck who wants to answer every call into your house with biz name, nice to pick up landline and just say hello or your name....imo.

I think a 24/7 mobile is plenty....I struggle to see or understand why people who screw us down for every cent and generally price shop so often need to call us out of hours, we are lawn mowing contractors, what urgency could come up....their lawn grew 3 ft thursday night or friday night and they have a party on saturday so need it cut right now....pleeeaaasseee.

I do answer calls out of hours as some believe it's best to call then, many clients do and say they call then cause they didn't want to interrupt me on another job, so I don't mind as they are being considerate, outatowners etc call outside work hours too, that's ok.

But local freaks half full of turps who leave everything to the last minute expecting me to get their jungle cleared right now, I usee to try to service this weird market, don't now, say call jims.

On invoices I have my postal/home address, even thinking I should get a P.O Box so freaks don't know where I am.

When i started I usd Ebony's 1800# service, noticed people prefer to call a 1800 over a mobile, but every good thing comes at a price...especially here where most jobs are short term or one offs being a retirement town and ooodles of price shoppers.

as a mowing service....do we really need 24/7....I respond between 6am to 10pm, outside those hours is just disrespectful, gota have some home life, this is not a emergency service business afterall.
Phone is always on....and if awake will answer it, but found callers after 10 are freaks anyway.

great_outdoors
08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
I only speak to people between the hours of 7.30am - 6.00pm. People have to realise that we have families that would like to spend time with us as well. I am prepared to lose a little money for the sake of my family and if the punters out there cant understand that the i don't want to work for them anyway. :Rain:

APS_QLD
08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I guess i have never really considered it when i was running my bathroom renovation business i never had a mobile it was my home number.

So have not really changed my ways but i found when building very rarely did i receive a call after 9 pm. I found most people rang between 7pm and 8pm. In fact even now i don't get late calls of course i will be advertising soon so will see what happens.

I can always delete home number from advertising if it get bad.

Brian

dvmcmrhp52
08-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Voice mail is a wonderful thing.
During working hours it gets answered, after hours they can leave a message and I'll call at MY convenience. We all have a life outside of work I hope....................
Well........Maybe............sometimes............ .........LOL!

mick
08-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Mobile 24/7, but I only answer it from 7am till about 9pm. I stay up late so dont have a problem before 9 but its when they ring in the morning, 5.30, 6, 6.30 is just bloody rude! They say, just wanted to catch you before you left for work. They do, I'm still in bed crashed from staying up late! :laughing:

I do advertise my home number but its in smaller print than my mobile. It usually works too! I figure if they want to save a few cents by not ringing my mobile then they will be tight when I giver them a quote or what ever.

Both phones have answering machines which are always on. I've found most of my regular clients understand that I cant hear the phone while working so there happy to leave a message.

Something I would like to do next time around is let them know they can Text me on the mobile. Alot of younger people use Text messaging these days, like email!

Topcat
08-09-2004, 07:49 PM
:rolleyes: My tip here would be to call yourself on your moblie listen to your message,if you would leave a message fine.

My phone stays locked in the office Sat/Sun- this is family time- but in the start 24/7 NEVER LEFT HOME WITHOUT IT!

If you don't have a good v/mail message chances are you lost that customer to someone else......

Just give old fashion service, they love it......... ;)

bradtez
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
24/7 for my mobile too just like most of your other guys. I dont advertise, but on my business cards i have both landline & mobile numbers. I notice the only clients that dont call my mobile are the old folk (60+) :confused:

I have message bank on the mobile & answering machine at home. In canberra, if you get back to someone...you get the job!!

Brad

Rod
08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
I read with considerable interest that Saturday and Sundays are family/quality time.

Have I missed something here?

I work for no other reason other than to support/provide for my family!

Okay, yes, somebody did text me at 4.00 a.m. for a job one morning (twice in fact.) After getting over the initial shock (twice) I did the job and she paid me for it there and then.

Some operators carry on as if there (bulltwaddeel I just got a call at 8.47 p.m. for a $400.00 job.)

If you feel you are that exclusive after hours then it comes as no surprise that some of you are posting threads between 8.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. "Asses your self image!!!!"

If you are quiet and sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself, then look around you these pain in the "arse" customers (as they are often) pay our mortgages.

Jump on me as at least two of you will, however, remember that it is a "b l o o d y rat race" out there. How many calls do you expect to cop between 6 an 6, not that may I presume.

bradtez
08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
If you are quiet and sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself, then look around you these pain in the "arse" customers (as they are often) pay our mortgages.[/QUOTE]

Rod..i would kill for a day to just sit around at home and do stuff all!!!

Brad

Rod
08-09-2004, 09:12 PM
I agree, I would love to sit around. But I have five kids to educate and provide for. My ads are in the yellow pages and PDC directory.

How many days off do you need? how much money do you owe? how long is that piece of string?

Don't let your business write an advertising cheque you can't cash!

bradtez
08-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Rod, i havent been as busy as you and only have one rug rat to put through school :p

Still havent advertised in the yellow pages..one day will get around to signage on vehicle too.

By my own choice i work 12.5 days a fortnight ( only coz i dont want to be 50 and still working for a living.. ;frosty; )

Brad

Topcat
08-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Boy's your on fire....

I been out here almost 6 years now- advertised for 4 weeks in the local rag, a waste of money.

So, I went to work on my clients (offering extra services), since then I'm flat out good thing the rains falling- i got to service all me gear. I spent the last winter working 5 days & every 2nd saturday all day- turnovers up 30% on last year,I just finished upgrading my gear.

The business gets about 85 hours a week & runs on a plan with a budget, my schedule/ most guys call it a diary- runs 4/5 weeks in advance- good thing is people wait for good service.

I have 2 kids 11 & 14, old fashioned to I like mum home- so I support all of em & contribute a bit to super old age.

Simply I run my own business- like you all...at the end of the day, the phone will stay off on the weekends, most clients respect family time as we do---thats why they pay a contractor to mow there lawns during the week(think about it) ;)

GregG
09-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Well there seems to be many differing views. I know the wife has said that she does not want the home no. on leaflets or business cards.
I like the idea of trying to educate customers to use SMS texting I also think that an email address could be good to. But make sure your'e antivirus is good.
I think that most people have mobiles and are fine about ringing mobile no.s. I would say that if we are using mobiles as our contact point we must be mindful of being quick and to the point when we recieve a call so that we don't cost our customers too much money on call costs.

Rod
09-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Brad,

I am 45 and doing this kind on work at 50 is a reality to me (I wish it were not.) I know one guy here in town that is 72 and going strong.

Another motivation is build the business, make money and perhaps sell it for 100k plus.

My argument is that on a 24/7 phone basis my mobile rarely rings after 6 or before 6. If it does it takes me a couple of minutes five at most to secure a job (hopefully) or organise a time for a quote.

When the next week is only 60-80% full and I have wages to think about then personally I am happy if it rings on a Sunday.

I once had another much larger business. When my phone rang after hours it meant either: an equipment breakdown, a sick shift that had to be replaced, an accident but very rarely if ever good news. It was heart in mouth stuff. Now when it rings it means one thing only "Income." The person that appreciates this more than probably anyone is my wife. My wife recalls the anxiety and financial cost that often came with calls in our previous business.

matthew pitman
09-09-2004, 06:55 PM
my moblie is on 24/7 and has voice mail and the land line is a different line to the house and that has an answering machine on
so i guess if you cant get hold of me i am in trouble somwhere
i dont think my moblie has ever been off it stays on all the time and
also most of my mate call all hours and they call the moblie.
i just think that if a custermer cant get hold of me the first time then there wont be a call back and someelse will get the job

mick
09-09-2004, 07:22 PM
The best way would to have someone personally answer the phone everytime it rings but how much are these answering services? (I might ring around and find out but I bet its not cheap) Probably too much for me!

I cant hear my mobile over the various machines, especially the diesel so what am I going to do. If they dont leave a message, or have a private number, thats it! If they have caller ID then I ring them back weather they leave a message or not!

I've probably lost alot of work because they didnt leave a message but theres only so much you can do!

Alex Callaghan
09-09-2004, 07:59 PM
The best way would to have someone personally answer the phone everytime it rings but how much are these answering services? (I might ring around and find out but I bet its not cheap) Probably too much for me!

I cant hear my mobile over the various machines, especially the diesel so what am I going to do. If they dont leave a message, or have a private number, thats it! If they have caller ID then I ring them back weather they leave a message or not!

I've probably lost alot of work because they didnt leave a message but theres only so much you can do!

Just spend $150 on some of those ear muffs with the cord ya plug into ya mobile ya whacka!! heheeee :i dunno:

In a perfect world you'd have a 1800 # with a secratary answering from 8am till 4pm monday to friday that orginised all of the quote times in conjunction with ya jobs.
Also....you'd want that thing where she could just patch the caller through to your mobil.
Plus!!! You'd want UHF raidio with sellcall, text display etc in ya utes (noticed I said Utes.......meaning multiple crews [hehe]......I'm really dreaming now...lol) and a fixed tranciever back in the office so you could comunicate with ya crews and office etc for free all day and those ear muffs that you can plug into mobiles, UHF pluged into hand UHF the feeds of the main tranciver in the ute so the whackas working for ya don't miss your radio call.
You'd also want dash board mount Palm piolets with GPS (bluetooth) inside all the vehicals that was hooked up to a barcode reader that all you had to do was scan the barcode on each job in the day sheet as it was done!!!

Aghhh.............One day :i dunno:................There again :(

Topcat
09-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Greg- put a second line in for your business calls, saves all the prob's, and you can keep the family, a family.

GregG
09-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Greg- put a second line in for your business calls, saves all the prob's, and you can keep the family, a family.

That is a great idea topcat I already have a 2nd line that is for internet use and for future business use ie as a fax line.
But then again if I am doing acreages only I would think that most customers would be "cool" with mobiles and SMS and emails.
Maybe if I can get an integrated fax/phone/answering machine on my 2nd line (more cost!!) it may work. But that means when I go and work in the shed and no one else is at home I need to take 2 cordless phones and a mobile with me and if my 15 month old is asleep the baby monitor as well. I think I need a carry box for all my communication tools!!!

GregG
09-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Just spend $150 on some of those ear muffs with the cord ya plug into ya mobile ya whacka!! heheeee :i dunno:

In a perfect world you'd have a 1800 # with a secratary answering from 8am till 4pm monday to friday that orginised all of the quote times in conjunction with ya jobs.
:(

Hey Alex what are the brand of those earmuffs and where can I get them (ie. communications or safety retailers) as I would like to use it for an am/fm radio on those large jobs or maybe to double adapt with my mobile. I am hoping that the vibrating of my mobile in my top pocket/belt clip or right hand pants pocket ( left hand if ya dress to the left) will alert me to a call

Alex Callaghan
10-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Hey Alex what are the brand of those earmuffs and where can I get them (ie. communications or safety retailers) as I would like to use it for an am/fm radio on those large jobs or maybe to double adapt with my mobile. I am hoping that the vibrating of my mobile in my top pocket/belt clip or right hand pants pocket ( left hand if ya dress to the left) will alert me to a call

G'day Greg,

Mate.....try going to google and do a search for "Seton saftey"

I'm sure the company that sells em's called Seton!?

mick
10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Alex, Those goodies would be, um, good! :i dunno:

I emailed a few "Telephone Answering Services" last night and one of them on the cost here are going to ring back on Monday! I think they personally answer the phone when I divert it to them and they send me an SMS to my phone. Only just started looking into it and dont know the costs yet.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Rod
10-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Mick,

Look at a pager. They are usually only $1.00 a day. If you lose, break your phone or are out of range they get your calls. They usually have an email address attached to them so customers can email you on the go. A great backup except for one thing I look like "Batman" with a Utility belt with pruners, phone and pager.

Compare the two systems for cost and efficiency.

mick
10-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Rod, I need cheap mate! A dollar a day sounds ok till I get the $30 bill! hehe Its another $30 that could be used else where. I pay $88/mth for my mob now! Screwed up there and it seemed a good idea at the time! :i dunno:

"I look like "Batman" with a Utility belt with pruners, phone and pager." haaaa you would mate! ha :laughing: "Rodman, caped lawn crusader!! :cool:

I dont even bother carrying the phone while working, cant hear it anyway! I dont have to worry about loosing it or damaging it either. Just the Ute keys is all!

Topcat
11-09-2004, 11:48 AM
A question ----------Do you blokes have voice mail on your mobiles or does some girl answer from telsta saying she'll sms your phn no. for an extra charge/charging you if it gets there or not..

mick
11-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I just have voice mail. Its on all the time! Far from perfect but its all I can do at the moment. I'm looking into this answering service where a girl answers the phone then SMS's me the message! If its not to expencive, I'll give it a go.

Tonyr
11-09-2004, 09:03 PM
I use voice mail, happy with it, not perfect but you can't please all can ya...

I used indmowing's answering service when I started, great service, I won't quote price publicly so if interested talk to Ebony.

mick
11-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Tony, Couldn't go through Indy now anyway because my number is already in the new Yellow Pages!

I think these answering sevices are like.... I dont answer the phone... Gets directed to service provider.... They send you either a Text, Message left on voice mail, emailed etc.

Like I keep saying though, it comes down to price for me!

Just saw the Cowboys kick the Bulldogs azz! haaaaaaaaa First full game I've seen all year! Matty Sing's probably my favourite player and he goes and score 3 tries! yeeee ha!

"Go the Cowboys!"

joff
12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi mates

Have my Mobile on 24/7 with Message Bank if I miss a call. With Vodafone and this service is free. If there is a message from a missed call my Mobile will ring each five mins. until I retreive this message, just hit main key on Mobile and the message will read back to me, no dail up.

Have just invested in a hands free lead for my Mobile, cost me $20.00 has an ear piece & microphone. When the phone rings you can hear it through the ear piece above the noice of your equipment. All I need now is an FM receiver in my Mobile.......

Regards

Joff

Topcat
12-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Voice mail/optus thats all i use.

if the client don't leave a message, ther phn no. is left as a missed call- so i call back between jobs.

it been funny lately a couple of missed calls have been jims'& other contractors- ya orter here them when i call return LOL LOL :sad: :p

ryancronin
13-09-2004, 06:47 PM
i Leave my mobile on 24/7 days a week it could be that big job that i want

Rod
13-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I am an analytical S.O.B.

I reckon use service providers Voice Mail (your voice) then you have a 50% chance of a lead.

I use a Pager system (woman's voice real time) and I have a 90% chance of lead.

I measure everything. Fuel consumption, yield per job, sales per man hour, kilometers traveled per day you name it!

Lets face it our own voices on recorded messages. "Are you turned on?" I doubt it! Play the marketing game!!!!!

mick
13-09-2004, 07:27 PM
That answering service rang me today to give me a price! ........................$220/mth! :i dunno:

I stopped her after she said!

Rod
13-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Mick,

$220.00 move on (as you have) there are more cost efficient alternatives out there.

Ring "Link" you need a message taker not "Phone ***."

Their are other service providers that do it much cheaper.

mick
13-09-2004, 07:50 PM
For sure Rod, It was a spur of the moment when I emailed them. I'll shop around a little but even 100/mth would be too much. If it was say $1/ per call or something I could handle that but $220 just in case someone rang is just silly!
In the end if people dont want to leave a message or spend a few extra cents on ringing the mobile, do I really want them as a customer? PITA screening maybe! :laughing:

Topcat
13-09-2004, 10:58 PM
? mick

how many clients do you have at the moment,
you can email me the amount, just interested :)

mick
14-09-2004, 12:05 AM
? mick

how many clients do you have at the moment,
you can email me the amount, just interested :)

To be honest with you, I dont know! :i dunno: I've only mowed a couple since the start of winter and I know I've lost a few from them moving, getting mowers etc. We still havent had enough rain here to kick things on yet and its still cool at night.

If I dont loose any more, lets just say I'm in a much better position than this time last year, but time will tell!

I dont have a lot of lawns but there mainly acreage so make up on (for want of a better word) quality rather than quantity.