PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pages Directory

ryancronin
13-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Can you all help me do the yellow pages Work And what is the cost and for the different size adds what size add is the best iv only got a one liner i got a letter from them to day about getting 20% of can you all help me

Topcat
13-09-2004, 05:01 PM
No luck with yellos pages - best if you call other guys in the trade that are local to you.

I rang a local guy to ask, his wife said they spent to much and only got crappy jobs --most where a waste of time.

there for I only have a couple of line in the yellow pages- taken 2 calls from it- both a waste of time......

your choice- best you work on offering your current clients most services

Rod
13-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Ryan,

I use the yellow pages only nothing else. Cost me around $3,500 a year for my add.

Now, it won't work for everyone. We need to look at a number of issues to see if it is or is no the way to go.

email me on services@amabassadorservices.com.au

And I will give the for and against arguments and tell you how to screw them down on price etc.

Rod

pbm
13-09-2004, 06:26 PM
I only have a listing..no add and have had 6 calls in the last 6 weeks. I don't know if having a proper add would have given me many more calls or not.

Rod
13-09-2004, 06:42 PM
I get about 6 - 10 calls a week from the yellow pages. Always new business and always $100 - $1,000 in work.

I spent "big bucks" and get a big return. I guess I look bigger than I actually am. This is fine in winter it gets me through and lets face it summer we all reluctantly "knock back" work.

The" Yellow pages" you advertise in has a great bearing on the result. Advertise in the Melb. edition and you probably get lost. The Book I advertise in I largely cover the entire area as 90% of my customers live under its "fingerprint."

Fridge magnet left/Yellow Pages right (actual sizes.)

APS_QLD
13-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure what you want really :i dunno: But here goes from past experences (different industry).

I pondered over putting an add in the yellow pages as the cost back then for a 1/4 page add was $ 3200 a damn lot of money. However when the book came out the phone was ringing and i had made my money back within two months.

This industry is a bit more fickle and varies depending on state and area you work (my opinion only). I dare say a 1/4 page add now would be around 5000 which equates to approximately 143 lawns at $35

It would seem you are after more work. Contact the yellow pages and find out the costs and i dare say you need to consider the advantages and disadvantages.

I myself prefer the local paper as it targets the areas i'm working not the state. I also drop flyers in 5 - 10 letter boxes of every job i do and this does work. I am also getting away from business cards and going to fridge magnets as i feel these will be more productive as people loose cards (as i do).

If you after the wording of your add, place what you have on here and i'm sure you will get constructive advice.

Brian

mick
14-09-2004, 01:06 AM
I have a business card size add in the YP and it costs me about $1200 with some colour. It worked well last year because I was in a good spot on the page and it stood out from the others, because of the colour. This year more guys have used it!

I have been told that the less clutter you have in the add the better. It makes it stand out a little more and easier to read.

I just checked my add again and while its not on the better page, its surrounded by black and yellow adds and it stands out well with the red.

I blurred it myself but you get the idea. The red really makes it stand out. Its just a bugger they put me on that side of the page!

Alex Callaghan
14-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Rod,

Do you use a marketing company?

Mick,

Wich one of thoses adds is yours mate :i dunno:

Rod
14-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Alex,

Don't need a Marketing Company I have this blasted "Masters" degree (Marketing) from of all places Southern Cross Uni @ Lismore (1993.)

Yes, I mow lawns and pick up palm fronds, however, my true goal in life is to "satisfy a woman." I am too old (45) to be of any attraction to any "Marketing Firm etc."

Some sailing would be nice. My philosophy is sell yourself and believe in yourself. The rest is easy.

mick
14-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Alex, its the one with the thick red line in it. Just off centre to the left. Its green and red.

Alex Callaghan
15-09-2004, 11:53 AM
I can see it now. It's pretty sizeable add mate. Good value IMO if you only paid $1200.

I've never had more than a listing but I reackon a spot in the locality guid would be good.

I can just make out ya logo!

The stubbie holder ya gave me's been getting some good use mate.
It's taken over from a Kubota one that needs a holiday! :D

Cheers Mick.

Pain in the Grass
15-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi guys..If all you are paying in your respective areas is around $1200.00 for a sizeable ad in the yellows then good for you....Here in Sydney a quarter page ad would run at nearly $20,000.00

An ad say the size of Alex's would be around the $5000.00 mark...I have looked into it and that's the figures they quote.

I only started in this business last season so I am a real novice...All I did was advertise in the trades section of my local paper and by the end of the season I had up to 60 regulars on my books..that has dwindled down somewhat due to winter, the drought etc,,but I am confident that I can build up to a hundred by the end of this season....And I would expect they would be all good long termers.

My opinion here in Sydney is that if someone is looking for a lawn guy, they tend to look in the local papers....I know I would never look in the yellow pages for someone to mow my lawn..Other trades a diffresent story I guess...Anyway that's my two cents worth.

Topcat
15-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Pain in the grass

Thats the smartest thing I have read on this thread- to bad they can't hear you, it's spring use your local rag.

:rolleyes:

mick
16-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Alex, the add is the size of a business card. It cost around $1200 but maybe $1300 or so! I also have a small listing in the Locality Guide and last year they threw that in.

The trouble is that if I advertise in the paper, theres like 50 or more guys in there and its hidden in the back of the paper. I even tried to find it one day and couldnt! Its not cheap going in either, about the same as going in the Y/P for the year and there only a couple of lines that look like everybody elses.
I might hower give it a go when the season start properly just for a month or so and see how I go from there.
I think it really depends on where you live. The YP add worked very well for me last year and it was worth doing. Other years it hasnt done so well. Weather its because I had the colour in and a cleaner looking add or just dumb luck, I dont know but.
I wouldnt advertise in the YP if it was $5000! :i dunno: That to me is a rip off! Im happy with the price Im paying and as long as I pick up work for it its money well spent.
All we can do is try different methods and figure out what works best for us.

APS_QLD
16-09-2004, 06:26 PM
I run mine in the local paper and it has worked well for me, although i feel i have worked against myself by not have signage on my vehicle (All about to change) hopefully by next tuesday signage.

Currently my local is running specials $ 60.00 for two papers one week and that will be running for 3 mths. Hopefully by the end of that time i'll have scored a good number of regulars, or i've won the lottery and my run will be for sale ........... here hoping for the lottery.

Mine is a large add.

Brian