PDA

View Full Version : Toro, Yard Machine, Greenfield or Troy-Bilt ?

Tommo
31-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Gday All,

been lurking and searching here for awhile but still no wiser as what to buy..

I'm non commercial on 5 acres that's fairly heavy going, our old Victa 3010 TX actually caught fire today and died :ebony:
(christ it copped a hiding)

I saw it coming, hence the searching on here for info as to the new ride-on.

the models i've been looking at are as follows:

Troy-Bilt 50" with 23HP Kohler

Yard Machine 42" with 20HP B&S V Twin

Toro 44" with 20HP B&S (I think)

Greenfield, looked at one last year but for the life of me can't remember cut and motor size but it was around the low $4000 mark, which is about the budget.

would really appreciate some input from the experts here

Cheers
Tommo

Tommo
01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
gee thanks fellas, the response is overwhelming :laughing:

jokes aside, have i posted this in the wrong section ?

Cheers
Tommo

chaplain
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I think you will be safe with any of the popular brands around the 4000.00 mark all u have to remember is do it regular so as the grass doesnt get any length in it and then the machine never has to work hard at all . Work out a cutting schedule and dont be lazy stick to it simple really .

Keep the fuel fresh keep it serviced and especially the blades keep them sharp then you will have easy mowing and your 4000.00 ride on will have happy cutting for years to come .

Tommo
01-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Gday Chaplain, thanks for the reply

I'm pretty good with maintenance, all our gear gets serviced regularly, although you wouldn't think so with my above description of the Victa !

No problem with getting the mowing schedule right, I'm a Boilermaker by trade so to me there is nothing better than getting away from that **** and doing a few laps around the paddock, just don't want to buy a lemon..

I'm leaning towards the Greenfield, from what i can gather they seem to be the pick of the bunch, am i on track here ?

Cheers
Tommo

tree beard
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Tommo

I have the Toro! its great! I have broken a few bits on it but it cops a hiding week in week out! Mine is 3-4 years old...i think :confused: great on fuel. good cut. great fun to drive. There should be a thread on ride ons some where in here that is worth a read ;)

Tommo
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies fellas, tree beard can I get a bit more info from u about the Toro, we have been looking at them, what size/brand motor was in yours, and what model did u purchase?
Cant get too much info!

Cheers,
Tommo

tree beard
05-04-2009, 08:51 PM
hi Tommo!

Well! the Beast (snigger),

Its a 44 inch cut 18 hp briggs and stratton single cylinder

Known as the Time cutter 18.44Z

Its great and I love it. As I have said in other posts Brigg service and parts over public holidays leaves a lot to be desired. Have gone through a ignition and a magneto at the wrong time of year nad been left high and dry for over 2 weeks. The deck and belts have been great and no problems. have snapped one of the front dolly wheels off and run that through the blades (that was a great one).

But all said and done the parts are not to expensive, other repairs have been done by me with my mig or ark welders.

I use it on medium domestic lawns (great quality of finish) through to acerages (small) the heavier stuff (up to 1 m) i use my firestarting Husqvana on as the toro just can cut grass over about 30 cm (not enough grunt).

tree beard
05-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh and Its done about 230 hours so far! :)

Redeye
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
The Aussie made made machines are built a lot tougher than the Yankee stuff which mostly come from the Murray factory.Lawns in US are very manicured compared to Oz hence the build quality is a lot lighter than equivalent Oz gear.....I love my Cox,have used Greenfield also, no complaints about either.

Tommo
09-04-2009, 09:05 AM
thanks again fellas, looking at a JD today so more bloody research i suppose :dean: ;)

read on here somewhere that the JDs have a problem with the bushes on the front wheels flogging out so will have to have a look at that when i'm tyre kicking..

cheers
Tommo

mowjoman
10-04-2009, 07:07 AM
G'Day Tommo,

My 2 bob mate. I've got a JD 717A zero turn. 48" cut, 23hp Kawasaki.
This is the first machine I've had so its hard for me to compare to others personelly however what I do know is that I'm approaching 800hrs and (touch wood) all I've replaced is blades and a 3 deck belts.
Same spindle bearings, castor bearings etc.
Regular maintenence.
Was talking to a guy who has the same machine as me and is about to clock over 1500hrs, sure his machine looks like a burnt thong but is still going strong.

Tommo
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks Mowjo,

pretty sure i'll go with the JD 105

Cheers
Tommo

Tommo
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
just an update for anyone interested, went with the JD 115, gave it a run today, happy with the 42" cut, ride etc.
here's hoping it continues on for years to come.

Thanks for all the advice etc..

Cheers
Tommo